GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Congrats!!

I don't know what happened to my parents' application. Still no news on 130 or 485...:(:(:(:mad:

Timeline:
8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt, was told parents need to be present
1/13/09: Info pass
1/12/09: Both 485 LUD

Just want to thank everybody on this forum who helped greatly in preparing forms etc. My Mother's GC was done very nicely without any RFE or interview in exactly 5 calendar months.

Thanks once again and best of luck to the rest.

Congrats!!

I don't know what happened to my parents' application. Still no news on 130 or 485...:(:(:(:mad:

Timeline:
8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt, was told parents need to be present
1/13/09: Info pass
1/12/09: Both 485 LUD

What did they tell you in Infopass? Did you try calling over the phone?

They just told me case still pending and I will get interview notice. I asked if my parents will definitely be interviewed as some people don't. The officer said interview is required for all applicants but I don't think it's true. Don't think they have a clue of what's going on though. Maybe I should call but seems first level customer service can't really access the detailed info either. Oh well...:(:confused:

What did they tell you in Infopass? Did you try calling over the phone?

They just told me case still pending and I will get interview notice. I asked if my parents will definitely be interviewed as some people don't. The officer said interview is required for all applicants but I don't think it's true. Don't think they have a clue of what's going on though. Maybe I should call but seems first level customer service can't really access the detailed info either. Oh well...:(:confused:

Did you try to call them with a wrong receipt number? They will then transfer you to the second level which can help far better.

FP notice Recieved

Hi All,

I have recieved FP notice for MArch 19th for my Mom.
So, can someone please let me know, what happens next? When does the case get transferred?

Also, shd we still apply for extension of I-94(has 10 year visa)...even though 485 is pending? All I have so far is the reciept notices for 130, 485 and 131.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Akapoor

I-94 expired before the I-130 approval

I am a US citizen. In 1/2009, I filed an I-130 application (not with I-485 though since I did not know I could file these forms together back that) for my dad who entered US in 11/2008 with B2 visa. His I-94 will be expired in 5/2009. I do not expect we will hear from USCIS on the decision of his I-130 case before 5/2009.

My questions is that, can he still stay legally in US after 5/2009 since he has I-130 case pending? Or I have to file I-485 for him before 5/2009? Thanks a million!

I am a US citizen. In 1/2009, I filed an I-130 application (not with I-485 though since I did not know I could file these forms together back that) for my dad who entered US in 11/2008 with B2 visa. His I-94 will be expired in 5/2009. I do not expect we will hear from USCIS on the decision of his I-130 case before 5/2009.

My questions is that, can he still stay legally in US after 5/2009 since he has I-130 case pending? Or I have to file I-485 for him before 5/2009? Thanks a million!

1. You'd better spend money hiring a lawyer to avoid this kind of things to happen again! It's worth the money!
2. From my understanding, by law your parents' over-stay would not disqualify them as permanent residents. In another word, whether they have overstayed or not, you, as a US citizen, can still get green cards for them. This is an exception made in Immigration Law.

File I-485 now

You can file I-485 now, citing the application number of your I-130. This will keep your dad in status

George

Longappl

File his I-485 before his I-94 expires and he will remain in status.
Attach everything required for I-485 and use I-130's receipt notice.

You do not need to apply for an extension. As soon as you filed for adjustment of status, the visa becomes invalid. Gurus, please correct me if I am wrong.

George

Hi All,

I have recieved FP notice for MArch 19th for my Mom.
So, can someone please let me know, what happens next? When does the case get transferred?

Also, shd we still apply for extension of I-94(has 10 year visa)...even though 485 is pending? All I have so far is the reciept notices for 130, 485 and 131.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Akapoor

filling I-485 without criminal history document?

Thanks so much for the quick replies from Henry, George, and Punjab. You guys are great, this board is just teriffic!

I have another question on I-485 after reading the filling instruction. Regarding to "Initial evidence" required when filling I-485, my understanding is that I need to provide:

criminal history, birth certificate, medical examination, G-325A, I-864.

Is criminal history really needed? My dad is almost 70 yrs, and I do not think there is such a document existing in his homecountry. Can we just file I-485 without that? Has anyone filling I-485 without criminal history received the letter from USCIS asking for additional material?

Thanks again!

No Criminal History is not needed

Your DAD will be fingerprinted and FBI will conduct name check and background checks. everything else such as medicals, birth cert,photos etc are required.

Received I-797E (RFE) on I-130 applications

Hi

Any folks out there with this issue- I received I-797 E- Request for Evidence on both my parents I-130 applications. Essentially, even though I was born in 197x, my birth certificate was issued in 198x- for whatever reason. So USCIS is looking for additional information that proves that my parents are indeed my parents :rolleyes:. The RFE has included some suggestions but except for 1-2 - none of them apply. My school records don't have the parent's name spelled out- just signatures when my results came out;)

Any suggestions on what other docs might prove beneficial in proving my parents are my parents. I think I get some old photos- but I hope they realize that people's appearances change over time.

Anyway, your thoughts/inputs would be appreciated

Regards

That is a strange request.. Most people get their birth certificate only whn they apply for GC, and I have not heard of anyproblems with that.

Can you provide us a timeline of your application. Did they wait 3-4 months to send this? Have you had your FP done?

Hi

Any folks out there with this issue- I received I-797 E- Request for Evidence on both my parents I-130 applications. Essentially, even though I was born in 197x, my birth certificate was issued in 198x- for whatever reason. So USCIS is looking for additional information that proves that my parents are indeed my parents :rolleyes:. The RFE has included some suggestions but except for 1-2 - none of them apply. My school records don't have the parent's name spelled out- just signatures when my results came out;)

Regards

That is a strange request.. Most people get their birth certificate only whn they apply for GC, and I have not heard of anyproblems with that.

Can you provide us a timeline of your application. Did they wait 3-4 months to send this? Have you had your FP done?

Hi drgeorge- thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I understand your question about the FP. I don't I'm required to do 'my' FP when applying for Parents GCs - and they have opted for Consular Processing route. Here is I-130 timeline:

Nov. 11, 2008: Mailed I-130 applications to lockbox
Dec. 12, 2008: Received I-797 NoA; Receipts
Feb. 24, 2009: I-797 E; RFE to prove relationship due to dates on MY BC being off

Sorry, I thought you were doing AOS. I was referring to your parents FP, if you wer filing I-485, in this case that does not apply.

Hi drgeorge- thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I understand your question about the FP. I don't I'm required to do 'my' FP when applying for Parents GCs - and they have opted for Consular Processing route. Here is I-130 timeline:

dates on MY BC being off

Proof of US Citizenship

Hello everyone,

I am a US Citizen about to file an I-130 petition for my parents who are living abroad. I have read several posts in this blog. A huge amount of information. I am a bit confused, however and have a few questions to clarify the filing process:

- Do I need to submit a copy of my passport also or just the naturalization certificate would suffice? My passport will take another 2 weeks to come in the mail. I dont want to wait to submit the petiton if I dont have to. Should I go ahead and submit the petition with just the certificate as my proof of US citizenship?

- My parents are living abroad, so for now I am only submitting the I-130s. I don't need to submit anything else concurrently, do I? I understand I will have to submit I-485 and affidavit of supports later on but for now I-130 is all I need, correct?

Not Exactly YMADRA

- Naturalization Certificate's copy is enough. you do not need passport.

- You need to prove your relationship in I-130. You will need to attach your Birth certificate that shows your name, DOB and your parents' names. You will also need to attached their marriage certificate to show that they were married before you were born. You will need affidavits from close relatives if they do not have either of the certficates.

- Later for I-485 or counselor processing your parents will need Birth Certificates as well.

USCIS has instructions for I-130, please go through them.

Thanks Punjab

Yup....I got everything else, i.e, my birth certificate and my parents marriage certificate as well as their wedding cards. That's right, they kept their wedding cards from 28 years ago !

OK...looks like my nat. certificate is good enough. I am going to submit the petitions very soon.

Thanks bud. Will keep you posted on how things go from here.