8/14/08: 485,130,131,864,693 sent to Chicago
8/18/08: Receipt date
9/4/08: FP done
10/16/08: Case transferred to CSC
10/23/08: Advance parole approved.
10/24/08: LUD of 485,130
10/31/08: Advance parole received in mail
12/31/08: Info pass appt

still no update since last Friday(1/30), kind of worried...

Hi,

Sorry if the question feels silly.

I am almost done getting all the necessary documents together for the concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485 for my parents.

The thing I am wondering about is, should we use two mailing envolopes for each of their package ( one for Mother and one for father) or can I combine both their packages into one mailing envolope.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
VRK

Hi VRK,

I think one mailing envelope containing two separate envelopes inside with each application's name written on the envelope with your name and relation to the application should do.

Also, since you are in the boat, can you please let me know, how to find the "VISA NUMBER" that needs to be filled in I-485?

Thanks much,
AKapoor

The thing I am wondering about is, should we use two mailing envolopes for each of their package ( one for Mother and one for father) or can I combine both their packages into one mailing envolope.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
VRK

Hi AKapoor,

The number in RED on the Visa Stamp page in the passport is the Visa Number based on what I understood reading in forums and what I have used as the number for the applications.

Hope this helps.

VRK

Hi VRK,

Thanks for the reply. Initially I had also written that number. But when I was reading through the USCIS website, it says that for "ppl who are applying for sisters/brothers etc should wait for the visa number to become available, whereas the parents need not wait for the visa number to become available"

I am so confused by that I am not sure as to what to fill there...

Gurus any suggestion

I am specifially talking about Part2 (Application Type) from Form I-485. Which check boz should I select here? If A, then I dont have any copy of any approval notice.

Hi AKapoor,

The number in RED on the Visa Stamp page in the passport is the Visa Number based on what I understood reading in forums and what I have used as the number for the applications.

Hope this helps.

VRK

Last edited by a moderator:
Timeline

Hello All,

Here is the timeline for my mom:

I-130/I485/I765 - Chicago
Mailed to USCIS: 10/14/2008
NOA Received: 10/20/2008
Biometrics Completed: 11/12/2008
RFE Response: 12/4/2008
Case Transferred to CSC: 12/16/2008
EAD ordered: 1/17/2009
EAD received: 1/29/2009

Parents Birth Certificate - Request for Initial Evidence

I mailed in the application for my parents' green card on January 22, 2009. The receipts were mailed to me on January 29, 2009. Today I got a letter from the USCIS with request for initial evidence (I-485).

The request is for my dad's birth certificate. The letter says "In order to process your application further, you will need to submit a copy of the applicant's birth certificate."

My parents are both above 65 and do not have birth certificates. Further, my parents do not have any elder family members (their parents, uncles, aunts, etc.) who can provide an affidavit of their birth.

My dad had obtained a notarized affidavit affirming his date of birth and provided the following three documents that mentioned his birth date:
  1. School Leaving Certificate
  2. Indian Passport
  3. Tax ID issued by the Govt. of India

We had submitted a copy of this affidavit along with copies of the above three documents as part of the I-485 application.

Is there any other document that we can submit in this case? Any help on what we should do in this case would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi FiveStar,

1. Do you have anyone in the neighbourhood, who is elder to your parent, who can give a affidavit ?
2. More importantly, you need a letter from Municpal Corporation, that they did not issue Birth Certificates at that time (it is calledNON availability certificate or something like that). Basically they give a letter stating that your parents birth was NOT RECORDED.

My friend who was in the same case as yours, had to get this letter in order for them to proceed the case further.

Hope this helps.

Btw, did you submit I-130 and 485 together? If so, can you please let me know two things.

1. Mailing address of USCIS to post these forms together.

2. Which check box did you submit? I am specifially talking about Part2 (Application Type) from Form I-485. Which check boz should I select here? If A, then I dont have any copy of any approval notice.

Akapoor

Last edited by a moderator:
FiveStar,
you can go to the local indian consulate and get the birth certificate.
Consulate can provide you the birth cerficate based on the information contained in the passport. you can request them to include the wording that registration of birth was not mandatory in india prior to 196?(don't remember exactly which year), so not possible to obtain the birth certificate.....etc etc...they know the exact words...

I got this for my parents and no RFE so far(applied in Nov, 08) hopefully that is ok...

Hi AKapoor,

Thanks for your reply.

My parents do not have anyone in the family or neighborhood who was an adult when they were born and will be able to provide an affidavit.

We will try going to the Municipal corporation to see if they can provide a letter stating that the birth was not recorded.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, I did send in the I-130 and I-485 together (concurrent processing). I sent in the application to the USCIS Lockbox address provided for concurrent filings.

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

2. In the form 485, Part II (Application Type) I checked box A. You don't need an approval notice. It says "Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military visa petition filed with this application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved." So you can attach a copy of the relative petition - the I-130 that you are filing concurrently.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Hi vanitb,

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely consult the local Indian Consulate.

A couple of questions for you:

1. Did the Indian Consulate actually issue a birth certificate for your parents?

2. Do you know the name of the form or the letter they issued to you stating that the registration of birth was not mandatory in India prior to 196X?

Thanks.

One question: If my parents get a green card due to my sister being a citizen and she lives in New Jersey while I live in California, does it matter where they will apply for their social security numbers? Can she apply from any location or does it have to be NJ, since that is where all their processing took place?

My parents plan to split their time living with the two of us, but due to circumstances, they would prefer to apply from California since they will need to be here for the first couple of months after entering the country for the first time on the green card.

Thanks very much in advance!

FiveStar,
Yes, the letter they issues is actually titled 'Birth Certificate' and this refers to the information in the passport. This letter has a stamp of INdian consulate at the top.
In the same letter they also mention the fact about registration of birth not madatory in india prior to 196x... I think you have to request them to put this wording, I did request them, so I'm not sure if they would put it by default.

TimeLine for Mom

Hi All,

I finally submitted the application for my mom and it was recieved by USCIS this Tuesday. I was wondering, what is the next step now? Usually how soon do we get any reciept or any kind of info from them? When is the FP done usually?

Thanks,
AKapoor

Forms 130, 485, G325 etc to Chicago(Recieved by USCIS on 17th Feb 2009)

Thanks

Thanks for your reply FiveStar. I finally did submit the application. I am waiting to hear from them now. Can we see the status of the application online?

Thanks,
Akapoor

Update: see the timeline

A note: send every page of 325A even though they are exactly same, that may be our RFE, because my husband forgot, he said he could have only sent one copy since they were all the same.

some update:

was asked to provide original parents' marriage certificate for both applications on 2/10(LUD). Received the USCIS CSC letter on 2/13 and sent back on the same day via priority mail. Received by CSC on 2/17 according to USPS tracking. But as of today, still no LUD for my parents' I-130s.

I also realized today that the marriage certificate is not required for mother, not sure why they still asked for it.

I applied for my father who is a widower. Sent I130 and I485 cocurrently. We did not have marriage certificate, so sent affidavid from my grand mother and two mama, will that work or they may send REF

hare are my dates

Packet sent 10/23/08
Received 8.30 am 10/27/08
1010 usd taken out on 10/31/08
355 usd taken out on 11/2/08
receipts and finger print notice received on 11/7/2008
REF received in uscis office 11/26/2008
transferred to csc on 8th December
EAD ordered 12/30/08
AP approved 12/30/2008
AP received 01/04.2009
EAD received 01/12/2009