GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Parent petitions are immediate relative categories. They cannot have derivatives, so your brother cannot be listed to join either of them. This means that you would have to put in a separate petition for your brother as a sibling. There is no distinction made for age, etc for sibling visas so that would be 15-20 years before he can get a visa. Clearly this is not workable for your situation. What most people do for this type of situation is petition the parents, then once they have green cards one of them petitions their minor child (approx 2 years process, maybe longer now) and then one or both parents gets a re-entry permit to allow them to stay at home with the child awaiting his visa, without losing their own green cards. Another way to do it is to petition one parent, who then petitions the spouse with child as derivative (this is allowed for spouse of LPR category) once the first parent gets a green card. There is no way to bring them all together to the US at the same time your parents get their green cards.
Thank you @SusieQQQ . this is very helpful

Greetings!
USC 21+ here. Recently my parents in India contracted covid with my mom ending up the survivor. She is older and has health issues. She/we do not have a strong enough support system in India(especially for getting her through the whole 485 process). Given, planning to do her AOS stateside when on her visitor visa. I get that’s frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+.
Couple of questions

1. I get NIV to AOS is frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+. How bad can things get? As in, Can get NIV be revoked?

2. Would you shop health insurance after she lands? What are some good options besides ACA?

3. She doesn’t have a birth certificate(birthday before 1970 -visa reciprocity schedule)Should I try for an NBAC at the local municipality/corporation office?
Any other pointers?

TIA

Greetings!
USC 21+ here. Recently my parents in India contracted covid with my mom ending up the survivor. She is older and has health issues. She/we do not have a strong enough support system in India(especially for getting her through the whole 485 process). Given, planning to do her AOS stateside when on her visitor visa. I get that’s frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+.
Couple of questions

1. I get NIV to AOS is frowned upon, but given the situation, I’m confused and very anxious. She’s 65+. How bad can things get? As in, Can get NIV be revoked?

2. Would you shop health insurance after she lands? What are some good options besides ACA?

3. She doesn’t have a birth certificate(birthday before 1970 -visa reciprocity schedule)Should I try for an NBAC at the local municipality/corporation office?
Any other pointers?

TIA
+1 exact same situation here. Just started my research... don't even know all the acronyms you used :(. I'll be watching this thread for replies.

Greetings!
Couple of questions

Any other pointers?

TIA
Using a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS is an abuse of the NIV regardless of the circumstances. This forum cannot provide you with guidance on how to circumvent the application immigration process in this case.

Unde
She could be denied entry and have her NIV revoked if the CBP officer finds out immigrant intention, yes
She could be denied entry and have her NIV revoked if the CBP officer finds out immigrant intention, yes.
Thank you Susie. I will lean away from this option then.
#1 Is ACA a good option for her while visiting me?

#2 She’s born before 1970, so no birth certificate. Not very optimistic on the NBAC.
Got the following list for supporting docs from one of these helpful forums, is this accurate?

• Form I-130
A copy of your birth certificate with your name and your mother's name

• A copy of your Certificate of Naturalization or US passport if you were not born in the US

is this accurate?

#3 is the typical AOS processing time for parents still(covid era) between 6-12 mos when done abroad? Read for parents/spouses the embassies expediate this?

Last edited:
1. I don’t think ACA is available to visitors, you’d need to get travel insurance that covers medical.

2. Yes but please make sure you read the actual i130 instructions as well as the forums …as forums can be well meaning but not always accurate

3. it’s not AOS if it’s done abroad, it’s just an immigrant visa process. It depends on the embassy how long the wait is. Most of them currently have backlogs.

1. I don’t think ACA is available to visitors, you’d need to get travel insurance that covers medical.

2. Yes but please make sure you read the actual i130 instructions as well as the forums …as forums can be well meaning but not always accurate

3. it’s not AOS if it’s done abroad, it’s just an immigrant visa process. It depends on the embassy how long the wait is. Most of them currently have backlogs.
#1 bummer. From reading thus far, they say the travel insurance is not worth the paper.? Hopefully that’s changing...is there a company you would recommend for parents with pre-existing conditions? Is insurance mandatory for a visit on NIV?
#2,3 - remember reading elsewhere that 485 journeys for parents and spouses don’t get clubbed with general public, do you know if that’s still the case?
#4 Given the possibility of RFEs(especially related to birth certificate/NABC), would you recommend going with a lawyer? Any experience of going with. Immigration clinics(church/communities/universities)?
#5. Gov paper work takes a long time, no surprise. Any other RFEs documents I could prepare myself before heading stateside? Trying to be proactive given lack boots on the ground.

As US is getting closer to opening the borders, I pray strength and courage to all, everywhere.
Thank you again for your valuable guidance and support. God bless.

Last edited:
1. I know that there are travel insurance companies who cover pre existing conditions but not sure who they are, I expect they are pretty expensive. Maybe a travel agent can advise
2. Again it’s not 485 if it’s from overseas. The current details of visa prioritization are here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/immigrant-visa-prioritization.html
4, 5 sorry don’t know. It (NABC) seems a common thing in India, you‘d probably do well to find an Indian specific forum for advice on that

Hi, I'm filing an I-130 for my mother and have a few quick questions that I need help with. I really appreciate your input.

Question 2 is confusing - "If you are filing this petition for a child or parent".. All answer options are for child and I don't see any option that's relevant to parent. Am I supposed to answer this for parent?

My birth certificate wasn't issued at birth and I got my birth certificate issued when I was 25 year old. Will that be considered a valid birth certificate or shall i provide additional proof? I have the certificate from 10th grade that has date of birth and my father's name specified. Will this be sufficient?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Hello, my parents i-130 is pending - filed in August 2021. My daughter is graduating from university and we would like my parents to be able to attend this ceremony. My parents been to US many times before, never had any immigration issues. They do have valid visitor visa.

Can the travel?

Any issues at POE?

and if they visit us for a short time, would that impact their i-130 or future I-485 processing?

I have a question. Both my parents 130 got approved, but in the civil documents, I am having to find documents from 40-50 years ago from countries other than India where my parents worked for a few years. It is almost impossible to get documents from such countries like Vietnam, Laos, Nigeria, Do you meed to provide police reports for 30-40 years ago? I parents are older. Any help would be appreciated. I have emailed US public Inquiry as well.

I have a question. Both my parents 130 got approved, but in the civil documents, I am having to find documents from 40-50 years ago from countries other than India where my parents worked for a few years. It is almost impossible to get documents from such countries like Vietnam, Laos, Nigeria, Do you meed to provide police reports for 30-40 years ago? I parents are older. Any help would be appreciated. I have emailed US public Inquiry as well.
There’s no exception for your parents in this case. The instruction says PCC required if you have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more from when you were 16 years or older at the time you lived there regardless of how recent or how far back it was when you were there. The only exception is if the DOS has already listed PCC as unavailable from such countries.

There’s no exception for your parents in this case. The instruction says PCC required if you have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more from when you were 16 years or older at the time you lived there regardless of how recent or how far back it was when you were there. The only exception is if the DOS has already listed PCC as unavailable from such countries.
thanks for letting me know. When you say listed PCC as unavailable from such countries - do we have a list of countries somewhere? there were no computer records there

Good day everyone,
I have questions regarding my I30 approval for my mother who reside in her home country
Her I 30 just got approved yesterday and i dont know what are my next moves? I know they sent to nvc , do i need to fill out any form or does she need to fill put any form? She is 68 years old
Will consular contact my mother ? I tried to see all the form from the first page but every page gave me 404 error

Good day everyone,
I have questions regarding my I30 approval for my mother who reside in her home country
Her I 30 just got approved yesterday and i dont know what are my next moves? I know they sent to nvc , do i need to fill out any form or does she need to fill put any form? She is 68 years old
Will consular contact my mother ? I tried to see all the form from the first page but every page gave me 404 error
NVC will create a case and then contact you to pay appropriate fees, fill in a DS260 for her and submit relevant documents. Once those are all completed the case goes to the embassy to set up an interview.

current timeframes for NVC are about 2 weeks to create a case, and about 2 months to review documents once you’ve submitted those https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html

NVC will create a case and then contact you to pay appropriate fees, fill in a DS260 for her and submit relevant documents. Once those are all completed the case goes to the embassy to set up an interview.

current timeframes for NVC are about 2 weeks to create a case, and about 2 months to review documents once you’ve submitted those https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/nvc-timeframes.html
i got the email from NVC this morning along with case # and invoice # , i was able to log in and see the case, paid the fess and waiting the process once its paid so i can submit all the documentation
i have 1 question when i was in summary page i saw on top right it says priority date september 28 2022
is that priority interview date for my mother or just the processing date from ceac ?
thank you again