GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Sorry guys, this is a stupid question but i couldn't find the answer on the I-130 Instructions. Do i have to file a separate I-130 for my father and mother?
Thank you!

I want to thank everyone on this site.
I just applied for both my parents with the information on this website.

I made the mistake of paying for a kit on:
greencardfamily.com

I wound up using the templates on this thread instead of anything from the kit. I just want to post this so others don't make the same mistake.

I actually wasted valuable time for two reasons.
1) The kit assumes a two step process in applying for I-130 and I-485. Why would anyone do this in a two step process? That's insane!
2) Kit also included a I-485A submission, which confused the heck out of me. Well, after doing some research, I realized that for parents, you don't need to apply for I-485A because they're immediate relatives.

Anyway, this got me very upset cause I realized that this kit was just put together without much thought. I complained for my money back, but to no avail.

I'm uploading the files here so people see how useless this kit is and so others don't make the same mistake I made. It's sad that there are businesses out there to make a quick buck without putting out a quality product.

I think instead, there should be a donate to this site link here so people can donate money to this site instead.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Original Submission (CP) - Some clarifications

Hello,

Thank you for the useful information on this thread. I had some questions after reviewing the first and last few pages.

Our situation: We want to apply for GC for my wife's parents. Both of us are US citizens after naturalization. My wife will be the petitioner. My in-laws live in Dubai currently and are Indian citizens. We will be using consular processing out of Abu Dhabi. According to the Dubai consulate website, they don't do immigrant visas.

Our package:

1. I-130 for mother-in-law.
Form I-130
Check for $355.00
Copy of my wife's Naturalization Certification
My wife's Birth Certificate, showing her name and her mom's name

2. I-130 for father-in-law.
Form I-130
Check for $355.00
My wife's Birth Certificate showing her name and her Dad's name
Marriage certificate showing my father-in-law ss married to my mother-in-law

My questions:

1. Do we need to submit the affidavit of support? (I-864?); My wife is not working, so it will be based on my income. Do we need to file both an I-864 and I-864A, concurrent with the I-130? Do we need two copies of each, one for each application?

2. One we file the I-130, can my in-laws travel to the US, while the GC process is ongoing? Would it help to file the I-131? (From the fee structure and evidence required, it seems filing the I-131 would only make sense only if some travel was required.)

3. CP - Is there any specific form to request CP? It seems a police report might be required for the 2nd part of the process. Is this a big deal to get for an Indian national?

4. My wife's birth certificate is from the hospital of birth. It seems fairly generic and lists her mothers first name and father's name, which happens to be her mother's last name. Anything we should be concerned about here?

5. Any other forms or documents I am missing. I will include a cover letter as recommended in the threads.

Thank you.

Regards,
Pramod

Last edited by a moderator:
Parents GC - AOS

I am getting ready to submit my parents GC applications. They are here in US on visitor visa.

Just want to confirm few things based on what I have read so far in this forum.

1) I can submit I-130 and I-485 at the same time.
2) I have to submit medical examination along with I-485.

Not sure about I-864. Do I have to submit I-864 also? I am not applying for advance parole.

Appreciate your help and pardon my stupid questions. I just started reading this forum.

You need to submit the following:

I-130
I-485 AOS
I-693 Medical
G-325A Biographic Form
I-864 Affidavit of Support

Put a cover letter for each set and also a MAIN Cover Sheet with the list....

For I-130 you need to submit the following for each parent:

o Check: for the amount of $355 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
• Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative
• Copy of birth certificate or affidavit of beneficiary
• Copy of Indian Passport with Visitor Visa of Beneficiary
• Copy of I-94 (both sides) of Beneficiary
• Copy of Proof of Citizenship of petitioner
• Copy of US Passport of petitioner
• Copy of Birth Certificate of petitioner
Copy of Marriage certificate or Affidavit of Beneficiary

The following need to be submitted along with I-485 for each parent

• Two Photos
o Check: for the amount of $1010 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
o The above fee includes $930 for I-485 and $80 for Biometric Fees
• Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust of Status
• Copy of birth certificate of affidavit of beneficiary
• Copy of I-130 (Concurrently Filing with I-130)

FOR I-693

• Form I-693: Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record ( (This will be in the sealed envelope)
• Sealed Envelope provided by the Doctor

FORM G-325A ( One page just the form )

For I-864 the following need to be submitted for each parent

• Form I-864: Affidavit of Support
• Employment Letter from your employer
• Current Year Pay Stubs ( last 6 months )
• IRS Tax Return Transcripts copies for the last 3 years (2008, 2007, 2006)
• W2 for the year 2008

Hope this helps....Good Luck with your process.

Thanks, Raj ( HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010!!!!!!!!!!!)

I am getting ready to submit my parents GC applications. They are here in US on visitor visa.

Just want to confirm few things based on what I have read so far in this forum.

1) I can submit I-130 and I-485 at the same time.
2) I have to submit medical examination along with I-485.

Not sure about I-864. Do I have to submit I-864 also? I am not applying for advance parole.

Appreciate your help and pardon my stupid questions. I just started reading this forum.

Since it is a CP you will file I-130 now and once it is approved then your case is moved to NVC and once your case is at NVC, NVC will assign Case Number and once you have Case Number you can register your emails at NVC for both beneficiary and petitioner and this way the process is through online and it is faster.

You dont have to submit Affidavit of Support now, it is in later stage at NVC. The CP information is on form I-130 Q.22 and you will list the CP here.

Since it is CP process you need to file only I-130 for both of them.

I applied for my parents CP and their interview is scheduled on 8-Jan-2010. Here is the notes that i used and go through this and let me know if you have any questions.

Here is what you need for I-130

Main Cover Letter
 This covering letter

 I-130 Package for my father

 I-130 Package for my mother

I-130 for your mother

• This covering letter
o Check: for the amount of $355 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
• Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary
• Two Copies of Marriage Affidavit for beneficiary

I-130 for your father

• This covering letter
• Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary
• Two Copies of Marriage Affidavit for beneficiary

ONCE I-130 is APPROVED then your case will go to NVC and once it is at NVC....go through this notes and will help you a lot...

Check this site...and also go through the notes i pasted here....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...iew=getnewpost

NVC phone number 603-334-0700

You need to speak to a officer so skip the automated service by pressing 1 then 5 after you get through.

Once you have the case number you need to give the operator the email addresses for you and your parents.

Next you need to email the NVC the DS-3230 choice of agent. Use this template for the email.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/inde...l_DS-3032_form

DS-3032

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/80023.pdf

Next you will get a email from the NVC telling you the petitioner that you need to pay the AOS fee bill it will give you the link to the NVC payment site where you will pay the fee using a credit card or debit card.

You only need to pay $70.00 once as both your parents cases are linked and they only charge once.

Once that is paid you will print out a barcode coversheet from the payment site for each parent you will need to attach one to each AOS packet that you have made for each parent

I-864 – AOS Packet

See the link below for full details of what you need to send with the I-864

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

2 sets of Affidavit of Support

Once the AOS is paid and you have printed the Barcode coversheet, you need to download the I-864 and complete attatch all the documents required and then mail it to NVC. The full instructions on what you need to do are on the NVC payment site on the right hand side of the page, just click the link.

It can take two weeks + before the DS-3032 is entered into the NVC system. Use the time to gather together all the paperwork for the DS-230 so that once the DS-3032 has been accepted you can pay the IV Bill and then mail the DS-230

You will receive another email telling you that the DS-3032 has been accepted and telling you that the DS-230 IV fee bill should now be paid. $400.00 each parent. You will go back to the NVC payment site to do this.

[/size]

DS-230

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DS-0230.pdf

Again once it shows as paid you will print out another barcode coversheet to include with the DS-230 for each parent. You will need to include Originals of the following documents for each parent.

BIRTH CERTIFICATES
ADOPTION PAPERS
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
MARRIAGE TERMINATION (DIVORCE)
COURT RECORDS
MILITARY RECORDS
POLICE CERTIFICATE
2 PHOTOGRAPHS
PETITIONER MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE FOR ALL MARRIAGES
PETITIONER BIRTH CERTIFICATE
BENEFICIARIES PASSPORT BIOGRAPHIC PAGES

You can use the time that the I-130 is being processed to gather all the above document together so that you have them ready to send as soon as you get to each step at NVC.

Once all the paperwork has been received at NVC they will review your parents cases this can take anything from a few days to a few weeks.

Once the review is complete then you will get a email telling you that the case is complete and has been forwarded to the embassy in your parents country.

You will also get a interview letter telling you the date of the interview and a link to the Embassy website with instructions on how to get the medical done and instructions for the interview.

What you need to do is, you send one complete set of original documents with the Barcode coversheet of one parent and then for the other parent you have to attach to their Barcode Copversheet a photocopy of the original document and write on it "Original Held In Case # LND2009****** " You must do that for every document that is not the original.

Also when you come to paying the AOS Fee Bill you only need to pay this once, when you go on-line to pay it you will see that it says "includes another case" and it will link to other parent's case so that you can print out the Barcode Coversheet for them both.

I had my parents sign the DS230 and I then completed it and had all the certifdicates and police report ready to mail as soon as I had paid the IV fee bill and could print the barcode coversheet.

Once NVC get the DS230 they review all the paperwork and once this is done the case is then complete and you will get a interview date and the case paperwork will be forwarded to the embassy. You will then get a email with the interview instructions and instructions for the medical.

One hint I can give you is that when you are paying the AOS fee bill you will only have to pay $70 as both cases will be linked and they only charge the $70 once.

Documents with DS-230

Cover sheet.
Completed and signed application (with original signature)
2 photos
Copy of biometrics page of Mum's passport
Police certificate - original and a 1 copy.
Mum's birth certificate - original and 1 copy.
Mum's marriage certificate - original and 1 copy
My birth certificate - orginal and 1 copy
My marriage certificate - orginal and 1 copy

You can find a list of what to include here:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_3195.html

Hope this helps.......

Good Luck with the process...

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

Thank you for the useful information on this thread. I had some questions after reviewing the first and last few pages.

Our situation: We want to apply for GC for my wife's parents. Both of us are US citizens after naturalization. My wife will be the petitioner. My in-laws live in Dubai currently and are Indian citizens. We will be using consular processing out of Abu Dhabi. According to the Dubai consulate website, they don't do immigrant visas.

Our package:

1. I-130 for mother-in-law.
Form I-130
Check for $355.00
My wife's Birth Certificate, showing her name and her mom's name

2. I-130 for father-in-law.
Form I-130
Check for $355.00
My wife's Birth Certificate showing her name and her Dad's name
Marriage certificate showing my father-in-law ss married to my mother-in-law

My questions:

1. Do we need to submit the affidavit of support? (I-864?); My wife is not working, so it will be based on my income. Do we need to file both an I-864 and I-864A, concurrent with the I-130? Do we need two copies of each, one for each application?

2. One we file the I-130, can my in-laws travel to the US, while the GC process is ongoing? Would it help to file the I-131? (From the fee structure and evidence required, it seems filing the I-131 would only make sense only if some travel was required.)

3. CP - Is there any specific form to request CP? It seems a police report might be required for the 2nd part of the process. Is this a big deal to get for an Indian national?

4. My wife's birth certificate is from the hospital of birth. It seems fairly generic and lists her mothers first name and father's name, which happens to be her mother's last name. Anything we should be concerned about here?

5. Any other forms or documents I am missing. I will include a cover letter as recommended in the threads.

Thank you.

Regards,
Pramod

Hi Raj,

Thank you very muvh for the detailed reply. Your response is very valuable. I will probably ask you some follow-up questions if you don't mind, but from your response the next steps are very clear to me.

1. When you say AOS, you mean "Affidavit of Support", correct, not "Adjustment of Status".

2. Your link to visajourney did not come up with any information. Is there another link you may have?

Thank you!
Pramod

You need to submit the following:

I-130
I-485 AOS
I-693 Medical
G-325A Biographic Form
I-864 Affidavit of Support

Put a cover letter for each set and also a MAIN Cover Sheet with the list....

For I-130 you need to submit the following for each parent:

• Copy of birth certificate or affidavit of beneficiary

The following need to be submitted along with I-485 for each parent

• Two Photos
o Check: for the amount of $1010 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
o The above fee includes $930 for I-485 and $80 for Biometric Fees
• Form I-485: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust of Status
• Copy of birth certificate of affidavit of beneficiary
• Copy of I-130 (Concurrently Filing with I-130)

FOR I-693

• Form I-693: Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record ( (This will be in the sealed envelope)
• Sealed Envelope provided by the Doctor

FORM G-325A ( One page just the form )

For I-864 the following need to be submitted for each parent

• Form I-864: Affidavit of Support
• Employment Letter from your employer
• Current Year Pay Stubs ( last 6 months )
• IRS Tax Return Transcripts copies for the last 3 years (2008, 2007, 2006)
• W2 for the year 2008

Hope this helps....Good Luck with your process.

Thanks, Raj ( HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks Raj for your detail post. It is very helpful for the begineers filing for their parents GC thru AOS.

Quick qns. Raj, what about police clearance certificate? Should we send PCC with the I-485 application? Also should we get PCC from police district in India as well as passport office in India?

Do you know what is the timeline for AOS for parents GC in US?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have added Sample Birth and Marriage affidavits for anyone looking for content/format. Please see attachments for these word documents.
Do the marriage and birth certificate copies to be submitted with the I-130 need to be notarized? If so, what authority in India is acceptable as a notary?

Parent-

I'm geting to start the package for my parent who have been in the US for several years (AOS). I understand what I need to adjust thier status but do I have to show that they live me. We live in the same Metro area but not same address. Would that create any problems showing a diffrent address than mine.
Any help would be appreciated

vaccination (and marriage certificate) question

I am about to apply for my parents' greencard (AOS), but need to have their medical done first. They do not have any vaccination records and are both over 55. Do they need to get the vaccinations done before the doctor visit? If not, would it be a problem as far as I-693 is concerned?

Also, for my mom's application, do I need to send a copy of her marriage certificate along with the application?

Is there anyone that has done an AOS for a parent in USA without doing the I-693? The instructions say that USCIS may need it... so may and may not? Is it mandatory? Thanks in advance.

Thanks to everyone for the information

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for providing valuable information regarding applying for GC for parents and the AOS process. Thanks to Law Office of Rajiv S. Khanna for providing this forum. My parents GC was approved today.

Here is my timeline:
09/21/09: Parents GC appl (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131, I-693) express-mailed to Chicago Lockbox
09/30/09: Receipt Notice dates
11/06/09: Finger Printing scheduled
11/30/09: Finger Printing scheduled again after being rejected first time
01/20/10: Green Card Interview scheduled and approved

Interview Process:
- The interviewer asked for my birth certificate and my parents birth certificate
- My parents were asked about their current address and who they were living with
- My parents were asked if they had any prior marriage or kids from another marriage

Again a big thanks to everyone for providing their valuable input on this thread. I was able to complete the whole GC process based on all the information provided here. Wish you all the best with your respective applications.

Is there anyone that has done an AOS for a parent in USA without doing the I-693? The instructions say that USCIS may need it... so may and may not? Is it mandatory? Thanks in advance.

I filed an AOS for my mom without herI-693 a month ago, due to the delay on vaccination and my mom's medical condition. USCIS issused a RFE last week asking for I-693, I think I-693 is mandatory for AOS.

Hi Guys, I have two questions regarding sponsorship of my parents for a GC. I (USC) was born "out of wedlock" -- I was born when my parents weren't married yet. They married when I was about six years old. I have several birth certificates that were updated along the way. I have my very first birth certificate that only mentions my mother, then another birth certificate a few weeks later that correctly adds my (then) unmarried father, and a third birth certificate 6 years later that lists both my mother and my father under their married name. I suppose I'll only send my latest birth certificate in, but can this cause problems? (the birth certificate's date is a few years down the line) And if it does, so what? What do they need proof of? That my father was a father for me growing up? Isn't that evident in that they got married later? Is there any additional evidence I should be gathering?

And second question is: Is there a requirement in me to be living in the states at the moment? There's no reason I've seen that I can't fill out the paperwork overseas and send it over, right?

RFE for Mother's I130. NAME DIFFERENCE.

RFE For Mother for I-130. (NAME DIFFERENCE)

Hi,
I am a US Citizen and applied for my mother's I-130 back in September 2009 along with a copy of my Birth Certificate from India. Unfortunately, my Birth Certificate that I submitted had my mother's name misspelled as "zohra" (it is written with lowercase running handwriting by the Clerk at the Mumbai Municipality and is a 35 year old document).
But her real name (as listed on her passpport and her Birth Certificate) is Zehrakhatoon and thats what I put on the I130 application.

The RFE states:
NAME DIFFERENCE: Submit documentary evidence to establish that Zohra and Zehrakhatoon are the same person. The most persuasive evidence is photo identification in each name. If the last name is different due to a marriage, submit the marriage certificate. Note: Affidavits will not be considered primary evidence.

Do i need an attorney to handle this further?
My Indian Passport (which is now Cancelled since I acquired US Citizenship) has my mother's name listed as "Zehra".
My OCI (overseas citizen of india) document - which i acquired after becoming a US citizen has her name listed correctly as "Zehrakhatoon".

Note that "Zehra" is a short form of "Zehrakhatoon"...since "Khatoon" just means lady in Arabic...kinda like an honorific title.
But I don't have any other document (other than my Birth Certificate) where her name has been misspelled as "zohra" (notice the "o" as opposed to the "e")

Any guidance/advice would be highly appreciated.

Just became a US citizen and applying for mother who is here in the US already. I am familar with what I need to send but have a few questions

On I-130, what do I check for it doesn't rerference any thing about parent just refers to spouse and other things

I-864, I'm a house wife so do I need to still fill a I864 and my husband fills what out also not to sure how that works, I will definatley need to show him because of his W-2's but we did file taxes together

As always
Thanks

Help with my mom's visa

Hello im new here so i dont know anything about anything..
I got my citizenship a few years ago .. now i want to bring my mom to live with us .. i dont work cause 1 .my english is pretty bad .. and 2 i have a 2 year old baby .. well the thing is i want to know can my husband be my mom's sponsor? he is in the navy .. also i read the form I 130 and my mom is married but she is separate from my dad like 16 years ago .. but she still married .. its that going to be bad for her to get the visa?
thanks for your help in advance please i need to know soon... i need real help on how to do this thankssss!!