GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Citizen filing GC for Canadian parents

My parents (Canadian citizens) are visiting me in the US now.
I am a naturalized US citizen. I am planning to file for their GC soon.

My questions:

1. Can I file an AOS along with I-130 while they are visiting me?
2. Do they need to leave US or can they continue to stay with me after I file I-130 and AOS?
3. Or do I need to file I-130 and then CP?

Note that Canadian citizens do not require visa to visit US.

Thanks.
G

1. Yes you can file both I-130 and I-485 concurrently
2. They can stay with you until they receive GC and these days the process is around 3 months.
3. You can do this option too....

Hope this helps...

My parents (Canadian citizens) are visiting me in the US now.
I am a naturalized US citizen. I am planning to file for their GC soon.

My questions:

1. Can I file an AOS along with I-130 while they are visiting me?
2. Do they need to leave US or can they continue to stay with me after I file I-130 and AOS?
3. Or do I need to file I-130 and then CP?

Note that Canadian citizens do not require visa to visit US.

Thanks.
G

What is the Cost

Hi Folks,
I plan to start the GC process for my Mom who is in the US now. What is the total cost for the GC process. Is the I130 form the first to be filed.

Thank you

Photocopying of naturalization certificate allowed?

Is photocopying the citizenship naturalization certificate permitted for filing I-130 petitions?

The I-130 form asks for evidence of US citizenship but I don't have my US passport yet.

However, the certificate states that "It is a punishable offense to print, copy or photograph this certificate without lawful authority".

Giri

$355 for I-130
$1010 for I-485 ( filing concurrently when parents in US )

Fees Varies for I-693 depending on Doctor, place...around $300 - $400

I-131 is free if filing along with I-485 otherwise there is a fee..is $305 if i am not wrong....

You need to file

I-130, I-485, I-693, I-131, I-864, G325A ( you can file all these together )

If filing Consular Processig here are the fees.
$355 for I-130
$70 for AOS
$400 For DS-230

Medical fees depends upon the country...can find on US Consulate website for specific country....

Hope this helps...

Hi Folks,
I plan to start the GC process for my Mom who is in the US now. What is the total cost for the GC process. Is the I130 form the first to be filed.

Thank you

Complete both I-864 and I-864a for sponsoring parents?

My spouse and I have been filing tax returns jointly.
Based on my income, I qualify to sponsor my parents.
Accordingly I have completed Form I-864.

However, when I submit my 1040 as evidence, it will show the joint filing.
So, does my spouse need to fill out the I-864a?

Thx
Giri

I-131 can be filed any time (not necessarily concurrently with I-485 but after I-485) and there is no fee.

$355 for I-130
$1010 for I-485 ( filing concurrently when parents in US )

Fees Varies for I-693 depending on Doctor, place...around $300 - $400

I-131 is free if filing along with I-485 otherwise there is a fee..is $305 if i am not wrong....

You need to file

I-130, I-485, I-693, I-131, I-864, G325A ( you can file all these together )

If filing Consular Processig here are the fees.
$355 for I-130
$70 for AOS
$400 For DS-230

Medical fees depends upon the country...can find on US Consulate website for specific country....

Hope this helps...

You will have to submit (only your) W2s along with 1040.

My spouse and I have been filing tax returns jointly.
Based on my income, I qualify to sponsor my parents.
Accordingly I have completed Form I-864.

However, when I submit my 1040 as evidence, it will show the joint filing.
So, does my spouse need to fill out the I-864a?

Thx
Giri

Last edited by a moderator:
Citizenship interview on Nov 16th - What is the best way to bring wife to usa ?

You will have to submit (only your) W2s along with 1040.

Hi,

I am attending my USA citizenship interveiw tomorrow. I would like to know what is the best way or procedure to bring my wife (she is from India ) ? Anyone can help me in this please ?

Do I need to apply I-485 ? K-3 visa is the best ?

Thanks
Sri

My Birth certificate does not have mother's name

I'm US citizen and applying for my parents green card as AOS as they are in US. My original birth certificate does not have my mother's name. What do I need to submit in that case?

Also, I'm submitting following along with I130, 485, 131, 864, 693:
My and parent's birth certificates,
Parent's marriage certificate

What else do I need to submit? or any quick link to the page on this thread where it is already covered?

Thank you very much.

You need to file G325A also...

I'm US citizen and applying for my parents green card as AOS as they are in US. My original birth certificate does not have my mother's name. What do I need to submit in that case?

Also, I'm submitting following along with I130, 485, 131, 864, 693:
My and parent's birth certificates,
Parent's marriage certificate

What else do I need to submit? or any quick link to the page on this thread where it is already covered?

Thank you very much.

MY PARENTS CASE IS COMPLETED at NVC and will be waiting for the inteview email and it will be in Jan'2010 as Dec'09 slots are full for Chennai Consulate.

My parents got the interview letter, scheduled in a month.
I have no idea how we should prepare for it. What kind of questions do they ask? Is there any particular thread about interview experiences for the parents cases?

Secondly, my husband can accompany the interview as an interpreter? In that case, can my baby (12 month old) come with us? :eek::eek:

Thanks.

Here is the situation

I have filed petition I-130 only (not I-485) for my father while he is in US on a tourist visa. However the processing time on the website indicate 5 months & his I-94 expire in April 2010.

Question is if his I-94 expire and I-130 is still pending what happen to his status? Can he apply for I-1485 using I-130 WAC number considering it is pending? Otherwise you have to have approved I-130 to file I-485. I am confuse or lost here. I was under impression that I-130 will be approved soon in 1-2 months, so I can file his I485 later date because of medical reasons.

I haven't applied for I-485 together because of his medical reasons. I want to wait little longer for him to get fit to avoid any problem in medical test.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
hsjin76, I am in the same boat. Just got the interview letter for my mom's I-485. I am planning to take my spouse and baby with us. The interview date is Jan 28.

There are not much discussion of parents' interview. I guess it should be simple. Would you mind share your experience later?

If you would like to keep your dad's status valid, you need to file an AOS (I-485) before his I-94 expires. The medical exam by a civil surgeon (I-693) does not prevent the applicants with medical conditions applying for green card, unless they have certain transmittable infectious diseases such as AIDS. However, you may consider delaying some vaccinations ( that's what I did for my mom) if they are interfering with the treatment for your dad. The other option is filing AOS without medical examination result, you will get a RFE for I-693 later.

Here is the situation

I have filed petition I-130 only (not I-485) for my father while he is in US on a tourist visa. However the processing time on the website indicate 5 months & his I-94 expire in April 2010.

Question is if his I-94 expire and I-130 is still pending what happen to his status? Can he apply for I-1485 using I-130 WAC number considering it is pending? Otherwise you have to have approved I-130 to file I-485. I am confuse or lost here. I was under impression that I-130 will be approved soon in 1-2 months, so I can file his I485 later date because of medical reasons.

I haven't applied for I-485 together because of his medical reasons. I want to wait little longer for him to get fit to avoid any problem in medical test.

Thanks

If you would like to keep your dad's status valid, you need to file an AOS (I-485) before his I-94 expires. The medical exam by a civil surgeon (I-693) does not prevent the applicants with medical conditions applying for green card, unless they have certain transmittable infectious diseases such as AIDS. However, you may consider delaying some vaccinations ( that's what I did for my mom) if they are interfering with the treatment for your dad. The other option is filing AOS without medical examination result, you will get a RFE for I-693 later.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah he must file I-485 to keep his status valid. His I-94 expire in middle of April 2010, which is four months away. So I am thinking if I-130 is not approved in Jan 2010 I will go ahead with I-485 either way. Once I have receipt of I-485 we are okay.

I think filing I-130 first helps in identifying problems with your birth & marriage certificate & other documents. Most of parents born or married in mid 60s or 70s when issuing certificate was not required or they didn't have one.

In my case we have to get affidavit and transcript of original, so thought I-130 will tell us if all documents are good or need more supporting documents in case they generate RFE. Let see.

==================
I-130 reach on 11/27/09
received notice 12/02/09
waiting...
==================