GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

uk01,

No harm in taking Infopass appt. On the other hand, it should help in clarifying.

On Chicago Misc Services form, they have an option for "Other" - may be you could try that.

Another option is to get it from NY consulate (giving a mailing address from NY/NJ/PA or in that jurisdiction). I am not sure if this is right but just thinking loud.

Hope this helps.

Hi gvjagan,

Thanks for the useful information.

I guess the process works on a 'case-by-case' basis.

In an instance similar to yours, my next door friend submitted only affidavits but was specifically asked to contact the consulate to obtain BC. Based on my friend's experience, I submitted the BC obtained from Chicago consulate. I am not even sure whether the Chicago consulate even gives NABC. I have asked them and will wait to see what they say.

Do you suggest an 'Info-pass' will help? At present the text about what constitutes secondary evidence is very definitive, in my opinion.

uk01,

No harm in taking Infopass appt. On the other hand, it should help in clarifying.

On Chicago Misc Services form, they have an option for "Other" - may be you could try that.

Another option is to get it from NY consulate (giving a mailing address from NY/NJ/PA or in that jurisdiction). I am not sure if this is right but just thinking loud.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. I will try infopass. I have already sent a note to Chicago consulate. I hope they will respond otherwise I will just show up there and apply through "other" category. My first option is to get from the actual birthplace in India. Given the short time frame, I do not know NY option will work. By return mail-delivery consulates typically take 3-4 weeks.

VisaNutz has also offered some suggestions. Your take on that? More the merrier for me.

uk01,

I've been reading the other thread too. As per my understanding, BC must have date of birth, place of birth and both parents' names.

You can certainly try with PAN card if you are not able to get any other evidence before the deadline. The key is to respond within the deadline (with whatever documentation which can include resending the documents you sent along with application).

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. I will try infopass. I have already sent a note to Chicago consulate. I hope they will respond otherwise I will just show up there and apply through "other" category. My first option is to get from the actual birthplace in India. Given the short time frame, I do not know NY option will work. By return mail-delivery consulates typically take 3-4 weeks.

VisaNutz has also offered some suggestions. Your take on that? More the merrier for me.

Thank you nfl0res,

I have another question, did you get affidavits from relative? and did you submit the old BC that has misspelled name? Thanks.

Yes from 2 relatives that knows my mom from birth.
And yes i also submitted the BC with the misspelled name.

Hi uk01,

I too had a similar problem with the Birth Certificate for my parents. I got two RFE's in this regard.

I had originally submitted copies of my parents school leaving certificate and PAN card along with the application. I then submitted the BC from CGI - SF in response to the first RFE and two sworn affidavits of birth and a NABC with the second RFE.

Collectively these things seemed to have worked.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

uk01,

I've been reading the other thread too. As per my understanding, BC must have date of birth, place of birth and both parents' names.

You can certainly try with PAN card if you are not able to get any other evidence before the deadline. The key is to respond within the deadline (with whatever documentation which can include resending the documents you sent along with application).

Hope this helps.

My Parents have received the Greencard in the Mail today (Aug 15th 2009) . total processing time approx 100 calendar days.

Last edited by a moderator:
uk01,

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Very rightly said. I will include all possible evidences / documents - those sent and new one as well. I will keep posting my experiences (and keep asking questions, seek opinions !!)

Hi uk01,

I too had a similar problem with the Birth Certificate for my parents. I got two RFE's in this regard.

I had originally submitted copies of my parents school leaving certificate and PAN card along with the application. I then submitted the BC from CGI - SF in response to the first RFE and two sworn affidavits of birth and a NABC with the second RFE.

Collectively these things seemed to have worked.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Fivestar,

Thanks for sharing that info. If you look at my e-mail on this subject, the BC from CGI has been deemed as affidavit and not a primary evidence. Looks like each case has its own interpretation even with same set of documents. PAN Card is definitely an additional evidence for me. My mom went to school in pre-partition days and in different interior towns so school records do not exist at all.

BC for parents

I am planning to sponsor GC for my parents. My problem is that they don't have official Birth certificate. Obtaining that is just impossible now. Also there are no living relative from which I can obtain affidavit. Since both of them live far off from the place where they were born I don't think getting non-availability certificate is also an option. What they do have are school leaving certificate, PAN cards etc to show date of birth. Any thoughts

I am planning to sponsor GC for my parents. My problem is that they don't have official Birth certificate. Obtaining that is just impossible now. Also there are no living relative from which I can obtain affidavit. Since both of them live far off from the place where they were born I don't think getting non-availability certificate is also an option. What they do have are school leaving certificate, PAN cards etc to show date of birth. Any thoughts

You will need the BC or Non-availablity plus secondary evidence (affidavits etc.) for sure.

Check with your nearest Indian consulate if they provide you with BC and NABC (based on Indian passport).

Mom's GC approved within less than 2 months

USCIS is unbelievably efficient. Thank you for people who helped me here and such useful information provided from this forum.

A bit of more information. My mom was out of status for about a month. I was weighing on whether to send her home for CP process but decided to take my chance. It looks like USCIS is really forgiven on this.

Thank you America!

Congratulations!

Wow! This is super fast!!

USCIS is unbelievably efficient. Thank you for people who helped me here and such useful information provided from this forum.

A bit of more information. My mom was out of status for about a month. I was weighing on whether to send her home for CP process but decided to take my chance. It looks like USCIS is really forgiven on this.

Thank you America!

I-130 BC question.

I have submitted BC from CGI (w/o affidavits or NABC) and got an RFE as detailed below.

Birth Certificate

Please submit a copy of petitioner’s birth certificate issued by a recognized and appropriate civil authority from the applicant’s country of birth. The birth certificate must have been timely registered, show date and place of birth, include the child’s name, and indicate names of both the parents. If the certificate is in a language other than English, a complete (word-for-word) certified English translation must be submitted.

I have an old BC (non-English) which contains all of the above information except last name. If I make a correction to add last name and convert it to English, it will be treated as a new certificate with current date and it will not withstand the test of 'timely registration' as defined above. (I was born before 1969 in India). If I simply get it translated into English, it will be incomplete w/o last name. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If you are able to get a new certificate with last name (English or otherwise), attach both certificates and mention why you had to get a duplicate certificate. Make sure to annotate the copy of your new certificate and mention in cover letter as well.

I have submitted BC from CGI (w/o affidavits or NABC) and got an RFE as detailed below.

Birth Certificate

Please submit a copy of petitioner’s birth certificate issued by a recognized and appropriate civil authority from the applicant’s country of birth. The birth certificate must have been timely registered, show date and place of birth, include the child’s name, and indicate names of both the parents. If the certificate is in a language other than English, a complete (word-for-word) certified English translation must be submitted.

I have an old BC (non-English) which contains all of the above information except last name. If I make a correction to add last name and convert it to English, it will be treated as a new certificate with current date and it will not withstand the test of 'timely registration' as defined above. (I was born before 1969 in India). If I simply get it translated into English, it will be incomplete w/o last name. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If you are able to get a new certificate with last name (English or otherwise), attach both certificates and mention why you had to get a duplicate certificate. Make sure to annotate the copy of your new certificate and mention in cover letter as well.

Thanks for a very prompt reply and an excellent suggestion.

Thank you America!

Wow.. I have NOAs with ND on 6/30 and EAD/AP approval on 8/12 - just like yours. Am I going to get lucky like you did? Hmmmm....