GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Question on parents application

Hi,

I am preparing applications for filing I130 & I485 for both my parents. I understand that I need to file seperate applications for each of them.Do I need to send the applications in seperate mail or can I send the application for both of them together in the same mail? My concern is I would like their appications to be processed together in the same timeine.

Another question, for each parent it is quite a bundle of applications and supporting documents, can I user paper clips or staples or binders to bundle the application with supporting documents?

Please advice.

Thanks,

This is how I did (applied for 1 parent only) - see below. You can put each parent application in 1 envelope and put both envelopes in the mailing envelope. However, it is not guaranteed both applications will have the same timeline.

Binder Clip 1:
Cover letter - stapled (if more than 1 page)​
Paper Clip 1:
I-130 application - stapled
I-130 supporting docs - stapled​

Paper Clip 2:
I-485 application + G-325A stapled.
I-485 supporting docs - stapled​

Paper Clip 3:
I-131 application - stapled
I-131 supporting docs - stapled​

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am preparing applications for filing I130 & I485 for both my parents. I understand that I need to file seperate applications for each of them.Do I need to send the applications in seperate mail or can I send the application for both of them together in the same mail? My concern is I would like their appications to be processed together in the same timeine.

Another question, for each parent it is quite a bundle of applications and supporting documents, can I user paper clips or staples or binders to bundle the application with supporting documents?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Got the AP today - well there were two of them, identical. Is this standard?

You have been provided 2 copies so that you can visit India twice as one copy will be used upon re-entry into USA. In case you have to travel again before getting the green card then you can use the 2nd copy for re-entry.

Guys,

In absence of birth certificate for my mother we are trying to get the affidavit from relatives and non availability from local municipal corporation. My question is what name should be used in these documents, maiden name or current name (as shown on the passport)?

Thanks,
BR

Guys,

In absence of birth certificate for my mother we are trying to get the affidavit from relatives and non availability from local municipal corporation. My question is what name should be used in these documents, maiden name or current name (as shown on the passport)?

Thanks,
BR

It should be maiden name - as the birth would have been registered that way and before giving NABC, the municipality would search records based on her maiden name. She acquired her current name after marriage - that is how it is in most cases.

Hello All,

I am getting ready with all the documentation that are requrired to apply GC for parents through CP as my parents are back home.

Based on what i read on the forum, i have to first submit just I-130 for both right? Please let me know if i need to apply any other forms along with I-130.

Also i would like to know if any one of you have applied CP for parents in recent days, please let me know. My parents in live in Hyderabad, do they go to Hyd for final interview or do they go to Chennai?

Thanks all in advance and Good Luck to all of us!

- Raj

Inteview update

Quick Update on Interview for my mother:

Really bad experience at Newark.. Wait was 2hrs and 45 minutes and after that I was told that they need more documentation. Have a second interview on Sept 11th.

1) Interviewer had question on the I-693 form as the Immigration doctor forgot to check off on some shots not needed for my mother.
2) He had a question on BC. I had BC and NABC from NY. The interviewer was not happy with docs. Said I will need school records, baptism records or church records.
I have none of these as well as have no family to handle this in India. I told him that it may not be possible to bring this information within 20 days. He said he will let me know if the BC is an issue. I got a letter next day telling me that I have an appt on Sept 11th. No info on the BC, so I am not sure if I should get something else or not. Also after coming home found a PAN card for my mom with Date of Birth on it.. I am going to take this to the second interview.

Question to the forum: Should I try getting affidavit's from my mom's family if I can? Would they help as they are not official record of her DOB?

3) Also due to a health issue I had submitted a I601. He wanted more documentation, wants to see she has insurance or I have to prove that I have enough money to handle her health issues if no insurance coverage exists at time of interview.
I have contacted Blue Cross Blue Shield to see if I can get insurance prior to my interview. The lady said she needs a rejection letter from Social Security. I had contacted SS earlier on coverage and they said that they can't give her coverage as she has to be a Permenant Resident and have lived in NJ for 5 years. Have an appt with SS on Aug 28th. I hope I can apply and if they reject and send me a notice I can use that to buy insurance from BCBS.

Any other folks on the forums with Ideas? Please respond.

Thank you.

SG,

Sorry to hear the interview didn't go too well. Did the IO tell why you were called for interview in the first place.

2) PAN card should help. An affidavit will add additional support to your case. The fact that there are no birth registrations prior to 1969 (as per NABC), secondary evidence should be acceptable.

3) Does your mother have visitor's insurance? For example, India Network Health foundation provides basic(emergency) insurance including pre-existing conditions.

Hope this helps.

Quick Update on Interview for my mother:

Really bad experience at Newark.. Wait was 2hrs and 45 minutes and after that I was told that they need more documentation. Have a second interview on Sept 11th.

1) Interviewer had question on the I-693 form as the Immigration doctor forgot to check off on some shots not needed for my mother.
2) He had a question on BC. I had BC and NABC from NY. The interviewer was not happy with docs. Said I will need school records, baptism records or church records.
I have none of these as well as have no family to handle this in India. I told him that it may not be possible to bring this information within 20 days. He said he will let me know if the BC is an issue. I got a letter next day telling me that I have an appt on Sept 11th. No info on the BC, so I am not sure if I should get something else or not. Also after coming home found a PAN card for my mom with Date of Birth on it.. I am going to take this to the second interview.

Question to the forum: Should I try getting affidavit's from my mom's family if I can? Would they help as they are not official record of her DOB?

3) Also due to a health issue I had submitted a I601. He wanted more documentation, wants to see she has insurance or I have to prove that I have enough money to handle her health issues if no insurance coverage exists at time of interview.
I have contacted Blue Cross Blue Shield to see if I can get insurance prior to my interview. The lady said she needs a rejection letter from Social Security. I had contacted SS earlier on coverage and they said that they can't give her coverage as she has to be a Permenant Resident and have lived in NJ for 5 years. Have an appt with SS on Aug 28th. I hope I can apply and if they reject and send me a notice I can use that to buy insurance from BCBS.

Any other folks on the forums with Ideas? Please respond.

Thank you.

SG,

Sorry to hear the interview didn't go too well. Did the IO tell why you were called for interview in the first place.

2) PAN card should help. An affidavit will add additional support to your case. The fact that there are no birth registrations prior to 1969 (as per NABC), secondary evidence should be acceptable.

3) Does your mother have visitor's insurance? For example, India Network Health foundation provides basic(emergency) insurance including pre-existing conditions.

Hope this helps.

No.. he didn't say why we were called.. he gave me paper work for I601 which I already submitted prior, and when I told him that I already did.. he brought in his supervisor who explained to me that either I need insurance or I should show that I have funds to take care of her medical needs.. Not sure how much of "Funds" is enough.

I need to show my 401K, Bank Accts, IRA, Emp Letter, Paystubs, Tax transcripts (3 years).. all these I had submitted as part of I864.. so again not sure why they want to see again.

I stated that all this was submitted and he said they want to see again :confused: I didn't want to push it anymore so I said OK.. will bring back all the documentation.

Thank you for your input on the Affidavit.. I will take the PAN card..

I am reviewing the forum for sample affidavits. In case any one has the format handy can you please post?

For the medical insurance, I had something for her from India which expired after 6 months.. as I was working on the GC I didn't bother to renew. I should have.

I tried another company yesterday but they said they could only give me travel coverage within 30 days of the coverage expiring.. i think mine is above 60 days.. I will contact the one you mentioned to check if I can get some coverage..

Thank you
SG

SG,

Link for India Network Health Insurance is www.kvrao.org. AIG is the insurance carrier.

Sample affidavit:
I, <affidavit preparer>, <relation> of <father/husband name>, after being duly sworn in, do hereby depose and say that:
1. I am a citizen and national of India, born on <dob> at <pob>. I presently reside at <current address>.
2. I have direct knowledge of birth of <applicant name> as I am his/her <relation>.
3. <applicant name> was born <dob> at <pob>.
4. <applicant name>'S natural parents are <applicant mother's name> (mother) and <applicant father's name>(father).
5. The affidavit is being submitted because <applicant name>'s birth certificate is not available.

I affirm under penalty of perjury and upon personal knowledge that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.

Signature
Date: Month,day,2009
Place:

If affidavit being executed in US:
I hereby certify that on this th day of April, 2009, before me, a Notary Public of the aforesaid State and City/County, personally appeared, satisfactorily proven to be the person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing instrument, who acknowledged that she has executed it for the purposes therein set forth.

No.. he didn't say why we were called.. he gave me paper work for I601 which I already submitted prior, and when I told him that I already did.. he brought in his supervisor who explained to me that either I need insurance or I should show that I have funds to take care of her medical needs.. Not sure how much of "Funds" is enough.

I need to show my 401K, Bank Accts, IRA, Emp Letter, Paystubs, Tax transcripts (3 years).. all these I had submitted as part of I864.. so again not sure why they want to see again.

I stated that all this was submitted and he said they want to see again :confused: I didn't want to push it anymore so I said OK.. will bring back all the documentation.

Thank you for your input on the Affidavit.. I will take the PAN card..

I am reviewing the forum for sample affidavits. In case any one has the format handy can you please post?

For the medical insurance, I had something for her from India which expired after 6 months.. as I was working on the GC I didn't bother to renew. I should have.

I tried another company yesterday but they said they could only give me travel coverage within 30 days of the coverage expiring.. i think mine is above 60 days.. I will contact the one you mentioned to check if I can get some coverage..

Thank you
SG

I am applying I-130 for my parents tomorrow and it is CP and i dont see on the I-130 instructions sheet about photos for parents. Do i need to send passport size photos at the time of this applications. Please let me know.

Here are the list i am of things i am planning to send along with I-130 form

• Covering letter
o Check: for the amount of $355 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
• Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary
• Copy of Marriage Certificate of beneficiary
• Copy of Proof of Citizenship of petitioner
• Copy of US Passport of petitioner
• Copy of Birth Certificate of petitioner

Please let me know if i need to add any other documents or passport size photos.

Thanks in advance,
Raj

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Aren't you supposed to send in I-864 (affidavit of support) along with your W2s and/or tax returns for last 3 years to show proof of your income.
  2. US passport should suffice to prove your citizenship (no need to send other citizenship documentation like naturalization certificate).
  3. Beneficiary's birth certificate is not required.
  4. No photos required for I-130.

Hope this helps.

I am applying I-130 for my parents tomorrow and it is CP and i dont see on the I-130 instructions sheet about photos for parents. Do i need to send passport size photos at the time of this applications. Please let me know.

Here are the list i am of things i am planning to send along with I-130 form

• Covering letter
o Check: for the amount of $355 (payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
• Copy of birth certificate of beneficiary
• Copy of Marriage Certificate of beneficiary
• Copy of Proof of Citizenship of petitioner
• Copy of US Passport of petitioner
• Copy of Birth Certificate of petitioner

Please let me know if i need to add any other documents or passport size photos.

Thanks in advance,
Raj

SG,

Link for India Network Health Insurance is www.kvrao.org. AIG is the insurance carrier.

Sample affidavit:
I, <affidavit preparer>, <relation> of <father/husband name>, after being duly sworn in, do hereby depose and say that:
1. I am a citizen and national of India, born on <dob> at <pob>. I presently reside at <current address>.
2. I have direct knowledge of birth of <applicant name> as I am his/her <relation>.
3. <applicant name> was born <dob> at <pob>.
4. <applicant name>'S natural parents are <applicant mother's name> (mother) and <applicant father's name>(father).
5. The affidavit is being submitted because <applicant name>'s birth certificate is not available.

I affirm under penalty of perjury and upon personal knowledge that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge, information and belief.

Signature
Date: Month,day,2009
Place:

If affidavit being executed in US:
I hereby certify that on this th day of April, 2009, before me, a Notary Public of the aforesaid State and City/County, personally appeared, satisfactorily proven to be the person whose name is subscribed to the foregoing instrument, who acknowledged that she has executed it for the purposes therein set forth.

gvjagan,

Thank you for the information. I am going to check out the insurance and send the affidavit format to my cousin in India. Once again Thank you for responding promptly.

SG

GC approved

Hello:

Just wanted to share the good news that my mother-in-law's GC has been approved. This forum has been a great source of information and encouragement for me to go through this process. Thanks to all the contributors and good luck to all the folks awaiting approval!

Regards

PS: Please find my timeline in the signature below.

Hello:

Just wanted to share the good news that my mother-in-law's GC has been approved. This forum has been a great source of information and encouragement for me to go through this process. Thanks to all the contributors and good luck to all the folks awaiting approval!

Regards

PS: Please find my timeline in the signature below.

Any particular reason why you didn't file 485 concurrently with 130?

Thanks for the info but I-864 is at a later stage based on the sticky note on page 1 of this forum and also as per this link http://www.immihelp.com/gc/consular/

1. Aren't you supposed to send in I-864 (affidavit of support) along with your W2s and/or tax returns for last 3 years to show proof of your income.
  2. US passport should suffice to prove your citizenship (no need to send other citizenship documentation like naturalization certificate).
  3. Beneficiary's birth certificate is not required.
  4. No photos required for I-130.

Hope this helps.