GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

While AOS application is in process, your parents can stay in US beyond 6 months without need to file any extension.

If they have to visit the home country for any other reason, they can travel on Advance Parole (I-131 can be filed concurrently with I-485 at no additional cost).

thank you for all the help. if one applies for parents whilst they are on visit, they can stay max upto 6mths. what happens if they have to go back and the gc is still in process?

I didn't see Chicago Misc Services form having NABC service option.

Some consulates may include NABC paragraph right in the birth certificate (which therefore doesn't necessitate a separate NABC). Chicago could be one of them.

Have you tried calling them (you may need to dial a few times though).

Anyone?

AP

Anyone?

AP

I got my BC from Chicago and it does not include any language amounting to Non-availability. The Misc. Service form also does not have NABC as a service that they provide. After looking at various Q & As on this forum about NABC being a requirement, I asked CGI and they mentioned that the BCs that I got (both for me and my mother) are good enough as primary evidence. I have submitted BCs obtained through CGI and keeping my fingers crossed.

You can send them an e-mail. They are usually prompt and respond within 72 hours. I have had no luck getting through to them on phone.

Parents AOS Interview - GC approved...

Parents AOS Interview - GC approved...

The Tampa office is located on West Cypress Street. Arrived about 30 min earlier and they had plenty of parking space.

My parents were interviewed together even though they both had separate interview slots.

After we 3 were sworn-in, we sat down with the IO for about 15 minutes.

Qs asked to my parents:

1. What is your name?
2. State your DOB(Date of Birth).
3. State your parents name.
4. State your current address.
5. Four or Five questions from the I-485 form.
6. How many kids do you have? Where do they live?
7. Asked for birth certificate(NABC) and affidavits.
8. Asked for passports.

Qs for me:

1. How many siblings I had? Where do they live?
2. Asked for my birth certificate and affidavits. [I volunteered to show my U.S passport(the IO briefly glanced it) ]
3. State my DOB.
4. Any additional documents to prove parent-child relationship [ I told IO that all the evidence I had was submitted along with the application ]

Overall, the interview process was smooth. The IO was stern all along the while but the IO paid special attention to the birth certifications(NABC) and the affidavits we submitted.

The IO stamped my parents passport with temporary I-551 stamp that's valid for a year.

Any other questions? please post them here and I'll reply back...

Hi everyone. Please, I need help on this issue.I'm USC and I like to file 1-130 for my mother at the end of the year. My question is, on my birth certificate my mother's middle name is mispelled . Besides Mohammed it states Mohammad on my birth certificate. And my mother has Mohammed on her birth certificate. I like to know what should I do before I send to USCIS. Do you think should I change my birth certificate? and If I change my birth certificates won't be a problem because it will be a new birth certificate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Parents Greencard Interview Experience (Approval)

We went to the Raleigh-Durham USCIS Office around 9 AM . We had a scheduled interview for my mother at 9.30 AM and my dad at 10.15 AM. After entering the USCIS office and completed the Security Checks , we went to the Interview check-in counter. The lady at the checkin counter said she can get both the parents into the same interview room as long as they are married and also gave us the earliest interview time slot of 9.30 AM. We waited in the waiting area for our number to be called and were called in at 9.40 AM.

My parents and I were asked to raise our right hand to take the oath. After completing the oath we were asked a couple of questions .
1) Have I ever sponsored anybody else for GC before other than my parents: No
2) My Parents were asked to answer the questions on the second page (Polygamy , convictions , espionage ..) of the I-485 Application
3) The Officer verfied my Address information and name information
4) The Officer took both my parents I-94 forms from the passport and stapled it to the I-485 Application.
5) He asked if my parents have an SSN . I told him that my dad has received an SSN since he has a EAD but my mom doesnot have one since we didnot apply for EAD. He has updated the SSN information on my Dad's I-485 Application.
6) He took my Dad's EAD and put it in the trash and let us know that we should be getting a 10 Year card in the mail in a few weeks.
7) He put a Approved Stamp on both my parents I-130/I-485 App and entered that information into the computer.

We were all done my 10 AM and left the USCIS office. The officer was joking that his parent's were from Ireland and were ruled by the same people (Brit's) as I was originally from India. The Officer was cool and was constantly trying to engage my 2.5 Year old daughter who was little naughty! Overall the process was smooth , the only concern I had learned after joining this forum was that my parents came to the U.S on April 13th 2009 and I have applied for them on May 7th 2009 and was less than 30 days from the time of visiting U.S. Looks like that there is no waiting period to apply for a GC under the Immediate Relative Category according to many folks. The officer was amazed that the whole GC process to the interview was completed in less than three months , which exceeded my expectations as I was expecting this to take around 12-18 months based on the published processing times for the Raleigh-Durham Office which has one of the highest 485 backlogs in the U.S.

Thanks everyone for your support on this forum !! I will be around for a little while to answer any questions.

May 7th 2009 : I-130/I-485/I-765/I-693
Filing received by Chicago Lock Box
May 29th 2009 : Fingerprinting Completed (Raleigh - Durham,NC)

June 8th 2009 : I-765/EAD Approved

June 19th 2009 : EAD Received

June 29th 2009 : Interview Letter Arrived

Aug 06th 2009 : Scheduled interview date

Aug 06th 2009 : I-130/485 Approved

Aug 06th 2009 : Card Production Ordered

Hi everyone. Please, I need help on this issue.I'm USC and I like to file 1-130 for my mother at the end of the year. My question is, on my birth certificate my mother's middle name is mispelled . Besides Mohammed it states Mohammad on my birth certificate. And my mother has Mohammed on her birth certificate. I like to know what should I do before I send to USCIS. Do you think should I change my birth certificate? and If I change my birth certificates won't be a problem because it will be a new birth certificate?

The names of the mother's birth certifcate and your birth certificate do need to match and is more important than the name on the passport . I would recommend one of your birth certificates be corrected to have the exact name match.

You can think of changing only your birth certificate. Can't change mother's because name on passport will then be different.

Another option:
If you were born in India and after June 2, 1969, you can non-availability from Indian consulate and supplement with two affidavits to provide as secondary evidence.

The names of the mother's birth certifcate and your birth certificate do need to match and is more important than the name on the passport . I would recommend one of your birth certificates be corrected to have the exact name match.

Hi everyone,

My parents GC application has been approved. We received the USCIS welcome letter along with the physical permanent resident card in the mail today. The detailed timeline appears below for your reference.

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks especially to gvjagan and S G for their advice regarding the birth certificate RFE. The application was approved after we submitted the certificate from CGI San Francisco along with two sworn affidavits from relatives in India.

Best wishes,
FiveStar

Five Star,

Congratulations!! Glad I was able to help.

This site has been invaluable to all of us. The immediate help you get from the forum is outstanding. Saved us all lot of time and pain.

I have an interview for my mom on August 20th. Hope it will go well.

Thanks
SG

Thanks, Nav102

I will change my birth certificate. Do you think should I let USCIS know about this issue? Because I have been using my old birth certificate for all of my immigration process. Thanks.

Thanks, Nav102

I will change my birth certificate. Do you think should I let USCIS know about this issue? Because I have been using my old birth certificate for all of my immigration process. Thanks.

Donot volunteer information unless asked !!

after much consultation it appears that in my case it may be more feasible to apply while parents are still in India, rather than during a visit. They cannot come before next summer. If the I-130 with reqd docs is submitted by Sept-Oct this year then approx when can I expect the processing to be complete?
2nd-ly, are there any other (other than time) disadvantages of this scheme?

dde,

I-130 timelines are typically 3 months what I am seeing these days.

You can apply for I-130 now and then apply for I-485 (AOS) next summer if your parents plan to visit. That may still be the quickest way.

I remember seeing some messages on this forum about some issues faced in CP processing (medical, biometrics, interviews etc). Pls visit older messages.

Hope this helps.

after much consultation it appears that in my case it may be more feasible to apply while parents are still in India, rather than during a visit. They cannot come before next summer. If the I-130 with reqd docs is submitted by Sept-Oct this year then approx when can I expect the processing to be complete?
2nd-ly, are there any other (other than time) disadvantages of this scheme?

How much time to respond to RFE?

Based on an e-mail note, I have an RFE on the way for I-130 & I-485. Not sure what it is about but wanted to find out how much time is normally granted by USCIS within which one has to respond.

uk01,

The RFE I received (related to birth evidence of petitioner), the time given was 87 days. However, I am not sure if different RFEs have different deadlines.

Hope this helps.

Based on an e-mail note, I have an RFE on the way for I-130 & I-485. Not sure what it is about but wanted to find out how much time is normally granted by USCIS within which one has to respond.

uk01,

The RFE I received (related to birth evidence of petitioner), the time given was 87 days. However, I am not sure if different RFEs have different deadlines.

Hope this helps.

gvjagan,

Thanks for a prompt response. I will know for sure what the RFE is about in a couple of days when I receive it in the mail. More than likely, it may be due to the BCs that I submitted from CGI-Chicago. BCs were submitted w/o any NABC and affidavits. I am though a little surprised by the fact that the RFE was issued more than 5 weeks after the case was transferred to CSC. On this forum, I have observed that in most cases, RFE is issued before the case is transferred to CSC.