GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Finally got the GC for my Mom

I had received PCC from india just in time and I sent it along with the similar certificate from local county office.
Got the GC just last week for my Mom, look below for the dates if interested.

thanks all for your help.

-Vaneet
AP approved on Jan 18,
FP Notice Received: Feb 23.
2nd FP done: Apr 1
Dad's 485 approved Apr 31
Dad'd GC arrived: May 7
Mom's RFE received Apr 31.
Sent RFE response: June 8
Welcome letter June 29
GC Received: July 9

I had received PCC from india just in time and I sent it along with the similar certificate from local county office.

-Vaneet
AP approved on Jan 18,
Welcome letter June 29

Hi Vanitb,

Congrats! How did you get the PCC from India? Did you approach Indian Consulate in your area?

12/2008 California Parent GC AOS case "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

Some highlights of my parents' cases:

- I-130/I-485 concurrently filed in late December 2008, from California
- They entered US on B2 and have been out of status (B2 expired, extension denied) since 2007;
- I hired lawyer for them for all paper work ($800 for each person, $1600 totally);
- FP in Feburuary;
- "Case Transferred to CSC ..."
- No more update until today I got "card production ordered" today, followed by another status called "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident" a couple of hours later.

No interview at all

I think this may be a useful information for those whose parents are out of status. I thank America for being so lenient to parents of citizens. Everyone has a mom and dad, and our Immigration Law makes an exception for them, that even if the parent is out of status, he or she won't meet any trouble getting green card through his/her child's sponsorship.

I've been on this board for many years, since the year when I was waiting for my H1 :) Then as you can tell it went like H1 --GC (LC, I-140, quota waiting, I-485) -- citizenship and now, sponsoring parents' green cards. You guys have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Relative: Mother and Father (out of status since 2007)
12/23/08 - Receipt Date
12/29/08 - Notice Date
01/16/09 - FP Done
01/16/09 - Case transferred to CSC
07/14/09 - Status changed to "Card Production Ordered", then "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident", within the same day

Last edited by a moderator:

-Vaneet
AP approved on Jan 18,
Welcome letter June 29
Congratulations Vaneet.

Medicare insurance

Hi All,

My mom got her GC recently and I applied for her SSN and got her SSN recently. I know I have to apply for Bank acct....my question is: does it matter if it is checking vs savings acct.....does the amt in the acct matters.....and finally after how long does she become eligible for applying for medicare/mediclaim......sorry I don't know the right name..

Thanks,
akapoor

Hi All,

My mom got her GC recently and I applied for her SSN and got her SSN recently. I know I have to apply for Bank acct....my question is: does it matter if it is checking vs savings acct.....does the amt in the acct matters.....and finally after how long does she become eligible for applying for medicare/mediclaim......sorry I don't know the right name..

Thanks,
akapoor

For bank accts, it really varies by banks.
Medicare eligibility should be based on her income.

Thanks so much for quick reply. Well, she is not going to work, she cannot speak English plus she is 70 years. But I am not sure, as to why bank acct is needed for Medicare eligibility in the first place.

Can you please let me know what is procedure to apply for Medicare?

As far as I understand, one is eligible for medicare only if one has worked for at least 10 years. I made some inquiries for my mom and this is what I was told. The medicare providers suggested to go with private medical insurance which is obviously more expensive. I am yet to look at private medical insurance options.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for quick reply. Well, she is not going to work, she cannot speak English plus she is 70 years. But I am not sure, as to why bank acct is needed for Medicare eligibility in the first place.

Can you please let me know what is procedure to apply for Medicare?

New immigrants who are elderly should forget about MediCare (Federal Medical Benefits) at least for now unless they have worked in US for 10 years or more. The rule is fair I have to admit that you don't pay MediCare tax, you don't get covered by it.

Some liberal states like California may have state medical benefits available to low-income new immigrants. In California it's called Medi-Cal. You can get more info from Google. Please be informed that from 07/01/09, dental coverage is not there any more.

I got a new status today again, saying "I-485 approval notice sent". See, it's funny that we got three different status updates for the same thing, maybe because 3 different groups of staff have worked on the case. Also I think these three messages came in wrong order. The correct order should be: 1. approval notice sent; 2. letter welcoming new immigrant sent; 3. green card production ordered when in reality, they came in as 3, 2 and 1.

Also I received I-130 approval notice yesterday. For I-130 however, the online status hasn't been updated at all.

12/23/08 - Receipt Date
12/29/08 - Notice Date
01/16/09 - FP Done
07/14/09 - I-485 Status changed to "Card Production Ordered", then "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident", within the same day
07/16/09 - I-130 approval notice received
07/17/09 - I-485 status changed to "Approval Notice Sent"

Help on Completing the I-130 App

(Sorry if I placing this on the wrong section, send me an email if that is the case)

This is my case. I filling out the I-130 for my daugther. She is 9 years old. Me and my daughter mother has been divorce for a while. My ex live in Cuba with my daughter and I want them both to come to live here. Even though me and my ex will not go back together we will do anything for our kid. I am a Legal Permanent Resident on USA (not a USA Citizen)

I am filling out the I-130 App for my Daughters and don't know where to mention my daughter mother.

In Section C: Information about your Alien Relatives (Cont..)
17: List husband/wife and all children of your relative.

Should I put there my Ex wife Information or should I wait until my daugter is called for the Interview and then ask for Parole for my ex wife?

Tell me the easy way to handle this. Keep in mind I understand that bringing my daughter here means her mom will come too.

My ex-wife has a sister where she will live when she comes and we all have an understanding about this situation and trying to handle it on the best interest of the child.

best
Yhosbany

Last edited by a moderator:
My God, is this the same USCIS?

My God, my parents received their plastic cards today! That fast? Can't believe USCIS can be that efficient! Back to years ago, it took a couple of months to received the plastic card. That's why people had to visit INS office to get an "I-551 stamp" on their passport as the temporary evidence of permanent resident status.

Timeline updated.

12/23/08 - Receipt Date
12/29/08 - Notice Date
01/16/09 - FP Done
07/14/09 - I-485 Status changed to "Card Production Ordered", then "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident", within the same day
07/16/09 - I-130 approval notice received
07/17/09 - I-485 status changed to "Approval Notice Sent"
07/20/09 - Plastic Cards received!

Parents Greencard interview

Hi everyone,

This thread has a lot of good information for parents AOS in US. I could hardly find any thing on the interview experience. Below is the timeline for my parents

15 th April 09 - Entered us on visitor Visa
05th May 09 - Application send
05 May FP completed
18 June 09 -Received EAD
04 July - SSN applied and received
04th July 09 - Interview date

I am worried about their interviews since most people's parents do not get interviews ? I am struggling to find interview experience ?

As most Indian's parents, my dad was diagnosed with false TB positive and X ray was negative. We also started him on the 9 month antibiotic course

Can someone guide on what I should be expecting in the interview ? Both interviews are 30 minutes apart. Can I be their translator ?

Is there a chance that they may reject it due to fact that I applied within 15 days of their arrival to US ? Any body's parents got their's 485 rejected... Truly appreciate any help or experience sharing...

Regards

Akshay

My hunch is that you didn't wait for 90 days before you filed for AOS. For interview experience, pls see post #2266 on page 76.

You will need to be prepared to answer question about their intent to immigrate when they entered US or why your parents had to so quickly decide to immigrate within 3 weeks of their arrival. If you are able to convince the IO, then you are all set.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

This thread has a lot of good information for parents AOS in US. I could hardly find any thing on the interview experience. Below is the timeline for my parents

05 May FP completed
18 June 09 -Received EAD

I am worried about their interviews since most people's parents do not get interviews ? I am struggling to find interview experience ?

As most Indian's parents, my dad was diagnosed with false TB positive and X ray was negative. We also started him on the 9 month antibiotic course

Can someone guide on what I should be expecting in the interview ? Both interviews are 30 minutes apart. Can I be their translator ?

Is there a chance that they may reject it due to fact that I applied within 15 days of their arrival to US ? Any body's parents got their's 485 rejected... Truly appreciate any help or experience sharing...

Regards

Akshay

05 May FP completed
18 June 09 -Received EAD

Is 4th the interview date? It has already passed.

I took time to collect all Parent's interview and posted the interview experiences in one of these threads, take a look at it.

uk01,
I got the PCC from the local police station with help from relatives and neighbors(used for witness etc), it is not easy, it was not going anywhere, I really had to use some contacts with local SSP office to get this done in a timely manner....

good luck
Vani

Parents GC Approved

Hi everyone,

My parents GC application has been approved. We received the USCIS welcome letter along with the physical permanent resident card in the mail today. The detailed timeline appears below for your reference.

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks especially to gvjagan and S G for their advice regarding the birth certificate RFE. The application was approved after we submitted the certificate from CGI San Francisco along with two sworn affidavits from relatives in India.

Best wishes,
FiveStar

• 01/20/2009: Mailed I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765 to Chicago drop box
  • 01/22/2009: Receipt Date
  • 01/29/2009: Notice Date
  • 02/04/2009: Request for initial evidence (I-485) – birth certificate
  • 02/12/2009: Biometrics appointment (finger-print) notice
  • 02/27/2009: Response to request for initial evidence sent to Lee’s Summit, MO
  • 03/04/2009: Biometrics completed (USCIS San Jose)
  • 03/20/2009: I-512L Authorization for Parole approved
  • 03/25/2009: I-130, I-485 case transferred to CSC (online case status)
  • 03/25/2009: EAD card production ordered (online case status)
  • 03/26/2009: I-512L Authorization for Parole document received (2 copies)
  • 06/16/2009: RFE – birth certificate
  • 07/16/2009: Response to RFE sent to USCIS, Laguna Nigel
  • 07/22/2009: Card Production ordered (online status update)
  • 07/24/2009: I-130 approval letter received
  • 07/27/2009: I-485 approval and physical permanent resident card received

Congcatulations FiveStar!!!

Hi everyone,

My parents GC application has been approved. We received the USCIS welcome letter along with the physical permanent resident card in the mail today. The detailed timeline appears below for your reference.

This forum has been very helpful. Thanks especially to gvjagan and S G for their advice regarding the birth certificate RFE. The application was approved after we submitted the certificate from CGI San Francisco along with two sworn affidavits from relatives in India.

Best wishes,
FiveStar

• 01/20/2009: Mailed I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765 to Chicago drop box
  • 01/22/2009: Receipt Date
  • 01/29/2009: Notice Date
  • 02/04/2009: Request for initial evidence (I-485) – birth certificate
  • 02/12/2009: Biometrics appointment (finger-print) notice
  • 02/27/2009: Response to request for initial evidence sent to Lee’s Summit, MO
  • 03/04/2009: Biometrics completed (USCIS San Jose)
  • 03/20/2009: I-512L Authorization for Parole approved
  • 03/25/2009: I-130, I-485 case transferred to CSC (online case status)
  • 03/25/2009: EAD card production ordered (online case status)
  • 03/26/2009: I-512L Authorization for Parole document received (2 copies)
  • 06/16/2009: RFE – birth certificate
  • 07/16/2009: Response to RFE sent to USCIS, Laguna Nigel
  • 07/22/2009: Card Production ordered (online status update)
  • 07/24/2009: I-130 approval letter received
  • 07/27/2009: I-485 approval and physical permanent resident card received

uk01,
I got the PCC from the local police station with help from relatives and neighbors(used for witness etc), it is not easy, it was not going anywhere, I really had to use some contacts with local SSP office to get this done in a timely manner....

good luck
Vani

Hi Vani,

Thanks. I hope I do not have to do that. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Best of luck.