GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

uk01,

I didn't get the card yet. Once I get the card, I will apply for SSN.

I was of the assumption that I don't need EAD if I have GC.

Thanks.

gvjagan,

Have you applied for Soc Sec No for your mom? If you have, what is the basis of applying since you are not requesting EAD or one can apply w/o giving any specific reason.

Thanks in advance.

Vemulapalli,

Based on information available on this forum I understand there will be no need to extend the visa.

Vemulapalli: I agree with Jagan here. If you are amongst those minor % of people in this world who get along with their mother-in-laws well, please continue to enjoy your blessed life or else use this time you saved by not having to apply for Visa extension by building some rules for your in-laws to make daily life smooth and frictionless :)

B-1 Visa Extension

B-1 Visa extension is not required if the I-485 Application is pending with the USCIS.

Hi,

My wife(US citizen) has applied for my mother-in-laws greencard on May 18th,2009. I was wondering if I need to file for her visitor's visa extension as it is expring end of next month(July). Can anybody suggest if I should be filing for extenstion or is it good enough that I filed for her adjustment of status(I485).

Thanks!!

Here are some details:
05/18/2009 - Filed I130, 485 and 131
05/22/2009 - NOA
06/02/09 - Biometrics Notice
06/16/09- Biometrics done

Got an Interview letter for my mom. I am a little worried since she has a health condition and I am thinking they are asking for the interview to check how i am going to take care of her without insurance. I approached Horizon for health insurance but was declined since she does not have GC. The premiums are in the high $900 per month..

Anyone who has attended interviews with their parents please respond with your experience.

Thanks
SG

Got an Interview letter for my mom. I am a little worried since she has a health condition and I am thinking they are asking for the interview to check how i am going to take care of her without insurance. I approached Horizon for health insurance but was declined since she does not have GC. The premiums are in the high $900 per month..

Anyone who has attended interviews with their parents please respond with your experience.

Thanks
SG
SG,

I don't have any experience in case of parents interview, but based on what I know its not a significant issue. I haven't seen any pattern which may explain why some get called for interview while some others don't. But don't worry about it.

Your mother's health is not a reason to call her. Also her health cannot be a reason to refuse the GC. You will have to provide for her health insurance but that can be done after the GC process. The GC itself is not dependent in any way on having an insurance.

Vinayak

SG,

I don't have any experience in case of parents interview, but based on what I know its not a significant issue. I haven't seen any pattern which may explain why some get called for interview while some others don't. But don't worry about it.

Your mother's health is not a reason to call her. Also her health cannot be a reason to refuse the GC. You will have to provide for her health insurance but that can be done after the GC process. The GC itself is not dependent in any way on having an insurance.

Vinayak

Thank you Vinayak.. Makes me feel a little better to hear that they can't refuse her GC on medical grounds. I am going to keep my fingers crossed until this is over.

SG

Does DHS halt I485 processing while the applicant is out of the country on AP? If not, what happens if the green card is mailed out while the applicant is not in the US? Can the applicant come back to US using the card if it is remailed to his/her foreign address?

Thanks
SG

My mom had interview yesterday at Newark. I was her translator and officer didn’t ask anything except 2 questions.

However as you may see from this forum that there is a debate about when to apply for GC while on visitor visa i.e. 30, 60 or 90 days after... and to that note the most important 2 questions officer asked is

1. What date and why did she came to America?
2. When and why she decided to stay here permanently and apply for GC.

So, I feel lucky that I waited 3 months before applying otherwise it would have been difficult to explain answer to these 2 questions. I am not saying that Officer could have denied the case, but you never know.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

My mom had interview yesterday at Newark. I was her translator and officer didn’t ask anything except 2 questions.

However as you may see from this forum that there is a debate about when to apply for GC while on visitor visa i.e. 30, 60 or 90 days after... and to that note the most important 2 questions officer asked is

So, I feel lucky that I waited 3 months before applying otherwise it would have been difficult to explain answer to these 2 questions. I am not saying that Officer could have denied the case, but you never know.

Hope this helps

Good Luck
This is really good information. Not sure what the IO would have done if the answer had been "I applied 3 weeks after I came to US". But this is good to know and something the new filers can bear in mind.

Thank you sap283 for posting your experience. I hope her interview will go smoothly as well. I will be going as her translator. I applied for her GC close to 5 months of her being here..

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Recieved GC today!

Mailed to USCIS 10/14/2008
NOA Received 10/20/2008
Biometrics Completed 11/12/2008
RFE Response 12/4/2008
Case Transferred to CSC 12/16/2008
EAD ordered 1/17/2009
EAD received 1/29/2009
2nd FP Notice 04/22/2009
2nd FP Completed 05/01/2009
I-130 Approval 05/07/2009
RFE for I485 issued 05/08/2009
RFE Response Mailed: 05/27/2009
Status updated with RFE Response: 06/10/2009
Card Production Ordered: 06/17/2009
Welcome Letter Recieved: 06/22/2009
GC Received: 06/29/2009

Congratulations!

Recieved GC today!

Mailed to USCIS 10/14/2008
NOA Received 10/20/2008
Biometrics Completed 11/12/2008
RFE Response 12/4/2008
Case Transferred to CSC 12/16/2008
EAD ordered 1/17/2009
EAD received 1/29/2009
2nd FP Notice 04/22/2009
2nd FP Completed 05/01/2009
I-130 Approval 05/07/2009
RFE for I485 issued 05/08/2009
RFE Response Mailed: 05/27/2009
Status updated with RFE Response: 06/10/2009
Card Production Ordered: 06/17/2009
Welcome Letter Recieved: 06/22/2009
GC Received: 06/29/2009

Hello everybody! I just sent the i-130 for my mom and it was delivered today. she is still abroad, so it will be regular i-130 processing in California without AOS.

Does DHS halt I485 processing while the applicant is out of the country on AP? If not, what happens if the green card is mailed out while the applicant is not in the US? Can the applicant come back to US using the card if it is remailed to his/her foreign address?

Re-posting the question. Anyone care to answer?

VisaNutz,

Based on my limited knowledge and past experience, this is what I think:
(note this is not a legal advice)

1. I485 process doesn't halt; however, if there is an RFE that requires the applicant to be in the country (e.g., second biometrics), the process does get delayed until the applicant reenters US.

2. I don't see any problem for the applicant to re-enter US on AP (even if the GC arrives). I don't see the need to mail the GC out of country unless AP becomes invalid.

Hope this helps.

Does DHS halt I485 processing while the applicant is out of the country on AP: USCIS DOES NOT halt processing until applicant misses any scheduled appointment(2nd FP, Interview, RFE where presence is necessary etc.)

what happens if the green card is mailed out while the applicant is not in the US? : somebody at the address should receive it and put it in bank locker or fireproof box from Sentry

Can the applicant come back to US using the card if it is remailed to his/her foreign address?: Yes, that is the purpose of the card. AP should suffice as AP is GIVEN out for the purpose of travel outside USA while GC is not received by the applicant. Technically mail could be on hold in post office and applicant can not see the GC before getting back.

Can the applicant come back to US using the card if it is remailed to his/her foreign address?: Yes, that is the purpose of the card. AP should suffice as AP is GIVEN out for the purpose of travel outside USA while GC is not received by the applicant. Technically mail could be on hold in post office and applicant can not see the GC before getting back.

The only thing is that when you come back using AP, you are entering as a "parolee". If you have the green card, you might as well enter USA using the GC, right?