FP to IL Tracker (all DO's)

BTW, you can also send an email to this address: SCOPSSCATA@dhs.gov
This is the USCIS Headquarters Office of Service Center Operations. These guys were supposed to respond to you in 10 days if you do not receive any response from NBC or any service center within 21 days. Include your A#, case number, case type, full legal name, DOB and also the the center (NBC) where you filed it. Write clearly what is the issue about but be nice in your message while showing concern at the same time.

Thanks for the information. In my case, the IO told me that they requested my A# file on Oct 4th and waiting for it and they would schedule my interview as soon as they recieve it. I always wanted to ask the IO's where is my A# file located but don't know how they will react. It is possible that they do not know where they stored my A# file after my GC approval and looking everywhere for it but they don't want to admit it. :) In "smartspider" case, they won't even tell that they requested the A# file. That's strange.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Oddly, in my case, one officer even told me that they ALREADY HAD my A# file and weren't waiting on it. I really have no idea what is going on with my case...

I just finished reading the second link file in detail. On one hand it gives an idea as to how our petitions are handled, especially A# files, it also scares the heck out of people like me, wondering where is my A# file now or if it lost :confused::confused: I noticed that the memo is dated Oct 2006 and it is possible that they upgraded their systems by now to manage the A# files much better.

Oddly, in my case, one officer even told me that they ALREADY HAD my A# file and weren't waiting on it. I really have no idea what is going on with my case...

Now this is absurd. All they need is your A# file, background security checks and initial review of your application by NBC before interview scheduling by local DO. I believe that initial review by NBC is what triggers the list of documents in the check list enclosed with the IL. NBC got everything they want now. So what's the problem then? You got to try the options that I mentioned earlier.

It's does seem odd that after USCIS has all the docs including the ones triggered after completing the FP… there is no follow up action. You have a lot of patience then most of us. At this point, you may want to seriously think of getting advice from a competent Immigration Lawyer. They will have grounded advice on how to re-engage USCIS and find out the exact application status.

hi spiderman03

i have been following your posts on this thread and the thread for Chicago N-400 timeline. My PD was April. I received the YCL on July6. Since then, I have not received any IL. My status online has not changed as well. I have called the USCIS number a few times and the last person I spoke with on the phone told me that it should arrive for me this month. My DO is in Chicago, and it would be almost 7 months now since my PD. I have been patiently waiting for my IL to arrive. Worst of all, my wife filed for her N400 a week after mine and her PD was around April 27. She was already sworn in 3 months ago and is a US Citizen. It only took her file 4 months. I guess all of us would just have to wait patiently.

Btw, good job on researching things and posting it on the threads. I learn so much from your researches.

Call the FBI one more time. This time ask them specifically if the fingerprint result is completed, and more importantly where did they sent it to. Because after the FBI does the fingerprint check they send it to the Name check division for further processing, after the name check is done then it is forwarded to USCIS. However, when you call FBI you only speak to the fingerprint section and not the name check section, so the response usually is "Fingerprint completed same day and sent to USCIS." This is my issue right now. I will update my timeline for my N400 in Houston.

Because after the FBI does the fingerprint check they send it to the Name check division for further processing, after the name check is done then it is forwarded to USCIS.

FP and name check are independent of eachother. In other words, they don't don't need to clear your FP first before starting on your name check.

FP and name check are independent of eachother. In other words, they don't don't need to clear your FP first before starting on your name check.

In my case, I have called the FBI on 5 occassions and I got 2 emails from them. Unless you specifically inquire, they just said fingerprints completed and returned. However, when I questioned them in detail, they informed me that they do not return fingerprint results to USCIS; they complete the fingerprint and then sends it to the name check division for further processing. After the name check division is finish processing then it is returned to USCIS. This is what I was told by the FBI in my case. I had the same name check issue during my I485 and I eventually filed WOM and my name check was expedited and application approved.

From the document I read in detail yesterday, I understand there are three types of security checks done by three different units.

1) IBIS name check by USCIS
2) FP check done by one unit of FBI
3) Name check done by another unit of FBI.

Usually the first one doesn't take long. People don't talk much about this. Second one is done usually on the same day by FBI and results send to USCIS. Third one is little time consuming. It takes a week on average (normal cases) for the FBI unit to report back to USCIS. Once all the three checks are completed, NBC people incorporate those reports into our A# or T# file. If the A# file is ready, those applicants are lucky. NBC will immediately do initial review of the case and decide which documents will be needed for the interview. At the same time they will put that case in the interview queue. That queue system is accessed by the local DO. They open it, approve a date and time as per their schedule. Once the case is approved for interview by local DO, NBC will see that in their system again and then prints the IL with document check list and mail it to us. Once the case is transferred to the local DO, NBC has nothing to do with our case. Their role ends. Then the communication starts between the applicant and local DO. As for the Yellow check list from NBC, it was issued irrespective of how fast this process is moving. If somebody has a speeding ticket and checked YES, they send this generic Yellow list in advance for the applicant to get court documents or other things ready. If A# file is not ready, they put in a request for it and the USCIS guideline says that NBC officers should wait for 3 months trying to locate the A# file and if they don't find it even after 3 months, they can proceed with the T# file available, transfter it to the local DO and finish the process. In my case NBC requested A# file on Oct 4th. That means, either they find it soon (if I am lucky) or they will wait until Jan 4th 2010 before they proceed with interview using my T# file. That is the standard procedure. There are exceptions though. Their file tracking system (NFTS) sometimes show wrong location of the file. So NBC people sometimes see that the A# file is already located the local DO building (even though it was an error) where the interview is to be held and they schedule the interview. IL is issued but the local DO finds later that the A# file location in the NFTS system is wrong and it is somewhere else. That's when we see the interview cancellation and rescheduling letters directly from the local DO. As per the document I read, interviews shall not be scheduled until all the security checks are completed. If an IO says during the interview that they cannot make a decision because they didn't receive the security checks feedback, they could be misleading.

BTW, this is the email reply I got from FBI recently regarding my FP's.

"We received it on 8/25/09 it was completed the same day and sent back. The name check part is done by a diffrent section you can call about it at 202-324-2399 "

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the response I got from the FBI via email:

"Our process is complete it completed on 10/7/09 but it still has to clear the name check part of the check which we do not handle here at our office you can contact 202-324-2399."

When I called the FBI Fingerprint section to explain, they said that they do not return the fingerprint result to USCIS, after they complete the fingerprint check the result is sent to the name check division, then the name check division returns it to USCIS.

I then contacted USCIS 2nd level IO who also stated that they have not received the fingerprint results from the FBI, which leads me to concur with what the FBI stated. Next time you call FBI, ask them specifically if the fingerprint was sent back to USCIS or to Name check division.

Still waiting ...:confused:

But looks like there is some movement in Garden City DO. Saw few cases in forum from early July getting interview schedule/letter confirmation.

Check following thread:
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=305073

Did you try calling NBC about your case recently OR have you decided not to call them? :) Wondering if they are locating your A# file just like mine. My timeline is exactly a week behind your's at every step. So, paying little attention to your IL as well :)

:D
I received a sweet wake up sms from uscis at 4;15 this morning about status change. My case was sent to local DO for interview :)

:D
I received a sweet wake up sms from uscis at 4;15 this morning about status change. My case was sent to local DO for interview :)

Congrats! This news has become more exciting than passing the interview itself. :) I forgot specifics about your case. Was the NBC requesting your A# file too like mine before you got this status update? If so, when did they request your file? Could you please post information on your phone calls to NBC and what was their response before you got this? Please advice. Thanks.

Congrats! This news has become more exciting than passing the interview itself. :) I forgot specifics about your case. Was the NBC requesting your A# file too like mine before you got this status update? If so, when did they request your file? Could you please post information on your phone calls to NBC and what was their response before you got this? Please advice. Thanks.

My problem was that I belong to DO which has one of the longest waiting lines for sceduling interview... Both times I called I was told that my case is fine, just waiting to be sceduled for interview. During last infopass appointment the officer promissed to request to expedite sceduling interview as she thought I have been waiting for long enough... Oh well... Now have to collect evidence, make copies of documents and study 100 questions :D
And I keep fingers crossed that you will get such news soon...

My problem was that I belong to DO which has one of the longest waiting lines for sceduling interview... Both times I called I was told that my case is fine, just waiting to be sceduled for interview. During last infopass appointment the officer promissed to request to expedite sceduling interview as she thought I have been waiting for long enough... Oh well... Now have to collect evidence, make copies of documents and study 100 questions :D
And I keep fingers crossed that you will get such news soon...

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your interview.

No I haven't.

Like id0mu, unfortunately I also belong to Garden City DO, and my case is within normal timing for that DO.

I am planning to call in case I don't see any improvement in another 2 weeks.

Did you try calling NBC about your case recently OR have you decided not to call them? :) Wondering if they are locating your A# file just like mine. My timeline is exactly a week behind your's at every step. So, paying little attention to your IL as well :)

This is weird. I just called NBC again, went through the formality of talking to 1st level help desk and then with an IO. She said I am not schedule for interview yet. This time I went ahead and asked her where is my case holding up and she says my case is at Vermont Service Center and they are processing it. During my entire immigration history, I never came under Vermont Service Center at anytime, either during F1 or H1 or GC. It was always Nebraska Service Center. I just don't understand what is my case doing at Vermont Service Center. I thought NBC in MO handles these things. Does anyone know anything about it? This time she did not say anything about the A# file and I didn't ask either.

Last edited by a moderator: