For Samird re:return to home country

Asyle12

Registered Users (C)
I just received my green card and have question re:return to your home country. I came here 98 and never be outside USA since then, and now I am planning to go back and visit my family. I have my renewed NP and also planning to apply RTD.

My question, when you applied your RTD, there is a question asking if you are planning to go back to your country and did you tell the, that you are going back ?
My country is safe now since they change a government.

do you know if I can just use NP without RTD since I have my GC now

Thanks

ND 09/01
FP 07/04
Bio 8/05
Approved 10/12
Received plastic 10/15

Last edited by a moderator:
Asyle12 said:
I just received my green card and have question re:return to your home country. I came here 98 and never be outside USA since then, and now I am planning to go back and visit my family. I have my renewed NP and also planning to apply RTD. It is confusing since other people when you are a PR you can use your NP but since I got my PR based on asylee I have to use RTD and on the application there is a question re I want to go back to my home country and why. So did you tell them when you applied that you were planning to go to home country or not ?

My home country is now totally different w/ new government.
Can you give more details ?

Thanks

ND 09/01
FP 07/04
Bio 8/05
Approved 10/12
Received plastic 10/15

Apply for Reentry Permit instead of RTD, this will solve your dilemma since you won't have to answer that question.

You do not want to lie, especially on an application, since lying to USCIS is an inadmissable offense.

Good luck.

hi

I had RTD and at the time of application I really did not plan to travel back home. The other thing is that my attorney prepared the application so I have no clue what was filled-in, I just signed the papers.

As for the NP, I asked local USCIS office, and they said it is OK to renew since there is no more war in my country and that I can go back for visit.

If your country has a new government then there should be no reason to avoid travelling back.

Just NP and GC....

So what would happen if he just goes back with his NP and GC? Would they deny him entry at POE, I don't think so...

An officer at the POE HAS TO LET YOU IN, HE IS NOT AUTHORIZED NOT TO LET YOU IN!!! The only thing a POE IO can do is to make a note in your file, that's it, so you might answer some questions later during you citizenship interview (supposedly, not a fact).

Punjabi_Munda said:
So what would happen if he just goes back with his NP and GC? Would they deny him entry at POE, I don't think so...

karina said:
An officer at the POE HAS TO LET YOU IN, HE IS NOT AUTHORIZED NOT TO LET YOU IN!!! The only thing a POE IO can do is to make a note in your file, that's it, so you might answer some questions later during you citizenship interview (supposedly, not a fact).

concur!

Yeap

Karina,
That's the point I was making. It wasn't a question, it was more like a statement. They can't deny you entry at the POE so there shouldn't be any issue whether you have RTD, Re-entry permit or renewed passport along with your GC. You should be fine until your citizenship interview.
I'm glad you and Lazer share the same thoughts. :)

karina said:

I have been reading citizenship interview experiences at the citizenship forum lately... The interviewers mostly only go through the citizenship application to make sure that nothing has changed since the filing, and ask questions from the list of the 100 interview questions. And most citizenship interviews only take approx 15 minutes.

Only one or two people's passports were actually verified page by page, but they are doing so only to verify that the person spends enough time in the U.S. and did not break the continuous residence requirement. Check out sticky on top of the citizenship forum, the experiences broken down by U.S. cities. Good stuff!

Punjabi_Munda said:
Karina,
That's the point I was making. It wasn't a question, it was more like a statement. They can't deny you entry at the POE so there shouldn't be any issue whether you have RTD, Re-entry permit or renewed passport along with your GC. You should be fine until your citizenship interview.
I'm glad you and Lazer share the same thoughts. :)

punjabi! why are you so concerned about me and karina sharing the same thoughts?..... ;)

Samird, let me get it straight. So, you renewed you NP after you got approved. If i remember correctly, in the past members have adviced against this.
My NP is expired 2 years ago. Do you think it is ok to get a new one(because it can't be renewed now).
I actually had a bad experience on my last visit to home country consulate here is US.
They were holding one guy's NP just because he had visitors visa(expired) and was trying to renew his NP. I heard the officer saying " I will not return you NP and will send this info to INS that you tried to renew NP". When i left the poor asylee was still requesting them to return his NP. Man ..that really freaked me out. Obviously, they are not stupid not to figure out ,something is fishy, looking at our NP. right

Asylee13 said:
Samird, let me get it straight. So, you renewed you NP after you got approved. If i remember correctly, in the past members have adviced against this.
My NP is expired 2 years ago. Do you think it is ok to get a new one(because it can't be renewed now).
I actually had a bad experience on my last visit to home country consulate here is US.
They were holding one guy's NP just because he had visitors visa(expired) and was trying to renew his NP. I heard the officer saying " I will not return you NP and will send this info to INS that you tried to renew NP". When i left the poor asylee was still requesting them to return his NP. Man ..that really freaked me out. Obviously, they are not stupid not to figure out ,something is fishy, looking at our NP. right

Why would you want to a NP anyway?

thankful said:
Most people cannot seriously claim changed country conditions, just bear that in mind.

What I don't understand is, if there are changed country conditions, and one travels to their country before being granted adjustment, then does that not mean that it is now safe for one to return there, and your basis on which you received political asylum in the first place, is jeopardised?

On the other hand. I know of at least 6 people (refugees) who did go to home country before having GC, who repeatedly reapplied for RTDs and sent old ones back full of home country stamps, who continuously lied on their applications that they never returned to home country (at the same time as they were sending the old RTD back in the same envelope where their application says never returned to home country), and who ended up getting their citizenships without any problems.

I know that refugees and asylees differ slightly, but damn.....

Asylee13 said:

Actually renewed NP while GC was pending. Asked several attorneys, they all seem to be OK with it, so I did it.b

My country consulate has maniacs sitting there. My NP expired 3 years ago. So, i have to apply for a new one. In the application for passport , they have specifically added the question "Did you apply for Asylum..." . Abviously, i will anser "NO". This form then have to be notarized. Plus i have to state the reason , why did i took so long to let the old passport expire and applying now for a new one. Then i have to attach copy of GC. I have to attach old passport with it.
And guess what , it has only visitor visa stamp on it and that also expired long time ago. I won't take much time for them to figure out what's happening here.
I was thinking with all these details, they might send a copy of notarized application to INS , just to teach lesson to people like me who take asylum here. Any inputs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Asylee13 said:
My country consulate has maniacs sitting there. My NP expired 3 years ago. So, i have to apply for a new one. In the application for passport , they have specifically added the question "Did you apply for Asylum..." . Abviously, i will anser "NO". This form then have to be notarized. Plus i have to state the reason , why did i took so long to let the old passport expire and applying now for a new one. Then i have to attach copy of GC. I have to attach old passport with it.
And guess what , it has only visitor visa stamp on it and that also expired long time ago. I won't take much time for them to figure out what's happening here.
I was thinking with all these details, they might send a copy of notarized application to INS , just to teach lesson to people like me who take asylum here. Any inputs?

It was not the visitor visa stamp that raised their eyebrow... it was the copy of your GC which has AS6 mark in the back...

They will not sent this to INS because it is overloaded, and INS would not trust them either.

However, why did you want to renew or re-apply NP... Once you get the real reason you may solve your worry and find post-repair because everybody's situation is different.

Can you identify this country ? The officials there sound so weird.

For those interested ,my home country is India. and yes i need to have some kind of legal status to renew my passport or get a new one. My old passport will show expired visitor visa so they will ask for my current status.They hate people who apply for asylum.