Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
calerius said:
I had send all the documents to Chennai consulate sometime back. I was trying to reach the consulate over email to find out status, but of no use. Do you guys know how long does it take for the consulate to open a case for my spouse, once they receive all the documents. I had sent the following

copies of passport,green card, i140,i485 approval,marriage certificate, spouse date of birth certificate, all notorized.

Any experience in how to deal with this, please ?

Thanks
Calerius
It shouldn't take more than 1 week.

Rajinca,
Can u plz tell me to what address u have mailed doc's.If it is chennai.I am also planning to send...
Thanks,
RM101

EB3 visa numbers not available

paras2 said:
Thanks rm101.. the latest Visa bulletin now says that there are no EB3 visas left
currently. I believe no immigrant visas in EB3 will be issued for now. Does this
mean processing will continue for FTJ cases (like fee bill generation, packet3,etc)
and the FTJ applications will sit in the Consulate abroad till visa number is available or
will initial processing stages also be frozen pending availability of visa numbers?
Thanks,
paras2

Does any body know an answer to this question? Will the Consulate initiate processing FTJ cases once it receives documents from us (and keep processing the case) even though EB3 visa numbers are not available?

Or will they just keep the documents on hold without initiating the case until the visa numbers become available?

The situation keeps changing against my favour and I am getting frustrated... started thinking of moving out for good seriously!!! I mean, how many times one person can give in to all these stupid nonsense!

After waiting for more than 2 weeks of sending the doc's I did call up the chennai consulate. Some lady over there answered that they would have to wait for NVC to get a confirmation about my GC approval etc., I guessed it was an approval of I-824.
I didn't press with further questions as I didn't even send the I-824 receipt notice. She said I will have to wait till they verify my documents and then only can she inform me about anything.
There is no response over the email too. Does it take this long just to open a case for my spouse or what ?

-calerius

Hi Calerius :
As you have filed and approved under EB2 , there is no issue of lack of visa number for you. My attorney says that the best way to fasten things is go to chennai consulate along with your Green card and they will iniate the process .
Anyway this works only if we are in India .. may be we should keep calling them.

calerius said:
My PD is Dec 2001 and category is EB2. I plan to call them sometime this week. Do let me know if anyone has any luck.

-calerius

My attorney says that the best way to fasten things is go to chennai consulate along with your Green card and they will iniate the process

How do I go to Chennai consulate directly? Do I need to fix appoinment first?? or just use the drop box??

Can some one throw some light on this??

Inrisk said:
How do I go to Chennai consulate directly? Do I need to fix appoinment first?? or just use the drop box??

I don't know about Chennai but Delhi consulate allows admission after 2 PM and paper can be submitted in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guys

I understand FTJ cases do not depend on visa availability. Please check the highlighted message below and you can find same here http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/appproc.htm#Following . Therefore, they should process our cases (EB3) irrespective of visas unavailability if the PD is current (off course our GC approved because the Pd is current)

What do you people think? I am just trying to be optimistic here. It is frustrating and it is very hard to live like this.

NJBLUE

Following-to-Join Benefits for Spouses
Please note: This section is only applicable to lawful permanent residents who did not gain their LPR status as an immediate relative (parent, spouse, or unmarried child under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen.
If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident, and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, and your spouse will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa. Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and if one of the following is applicable:

Follow to Join Process

Hi all
I am reading all the postings here and I am on the same boat. The problem is that most of us dont know the whole process as everybody here in the US tells a different story. I am telling you mine and it will help a lot of others.
After my wifes I-824 approval.. The lawyer and the state department told me that the embassy will contact the beneficiary. Even after 4 months of approval embassy told me that they didnt received anything from the USCIS. I requested them again and again through emails and finally they asked me to send them two original documents and the rest can be copies of originals. The documents are:

1) I-140 Original approval notice.
2) I-824 Original receipt notice.
3) Copy or PR card.
4) Copy of ADIT stamp on passport.
5) Copy of birth certificate and marriage certificate of spouse.

I dont beleive that US emabssy will ever contact the applicant if we keep on waiting. So I sent all the documents and hopefully the visa number will be generated soon. The US embassy in Islamabad pakistan says that it took a month to generate a case number and the whole process would take 3 months to get an interview date. I felt that they are quite co-operative if you provide them the correct information and the questions you have. If you ask them too many things and give them unnecessary information they dont even bother respond you.
Bottom line is that as soon as you get approve you should send the docuemts with the cover letter through FedEx to the US embassy. This will expedite the process.
Secondly I think that the visa unavailability doesnt apply to the spouses ... but who knows. I will keep you guys posted as soon as I get any updates from the embassy.
Hope it helps.

NJBLUE said:
Hello Guys

I understand FTJ cases do not depend on visa availability. Please check the highlighted message below and you can find same here http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/appproc.htm#Following . Therefore, they should process our cases (EB3) irrespective of visas unavailability if the PD is current (off course our GC approved because the Pd is current)

What do you people think? I am just trying to be optimistic here. It is frustrating and it is very hard to live like this.

NJBLUE

Following-to-Join Benefits for Spouses
Please note: This section is only applicable to lawful permanent residents who did not gain their LPR status as an immediate relative (parent, spouse, or unmarried child under 21 years of age) of a U.S. citizen.
If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident, and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits. This means that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for your spouse, and your spouse will not have to wait any extra time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa. Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and if one of the following is applicable:

That's wishful thinking and also a misrepresentation.
In fact, what the USCIS website meant is they will use your
Priority Date. Your spouse/kids still need to wait for a visa number.
I asked my lawyer.

bringing spouse on H4

hey guys,

i have my labor pending and i am on H1. i wanted to know if i my spouse can come on F1 instead of H4 and still be able to avail of my GC process.

Thanks in advance for your help

silentk2 said:
hey guys,

i have my labor pending and i am on H1. i wanted to know if i my spouse can come on F1 instead of H4 and still be able to avail of my GC process.

Thanks in advance for your help
yes

ansi2004 said:
Hi Srini, can you give more details on your 2nd point? I think they will create the case number only if the visa number is available. Right? Or will they create the case number anyway even if the visa number is not available... BUT they will schedule the visa interview only when the visa number becomes available... which statement is true? Can you please shed us more light on this?

Thanks,
Ansi.

I think they can still create a case eventhough ur PD is not current. My case was created when PD for E-3 was current and then they put it on hold (I later realized that they put it in E-3 though I am in E-1, had to do a lot of calls to change it to E-1). The best way is call them/email them. Call them on thursdays as they wld be in a better mood (week end). Talk to the lady in a very submissive manner, she will oblige........ Its always better to send the docs and keep enquiring though they are rude... it some times pays.........

NJBLUE said:
Hi FTJ05 & calerius

My situation is also same as yours. I have sent a mail to Chennai Consulate requesting them initiate FTJ for my wife.

I have sent the same documents during the first week of June and I'm yet to receive response from them.

FTJ05 please let me know if you get any response.

My PD is January 2002 and category is EB3.

Thanks

Guys.. plz don't get too worried. I have submitted docs to chennai consulate in August and my case was created on october 26th. If you call, the lady will tell it will take 3 months to create a case. It is just a matter of luck in case somebody's case gets created in a week or some thing like that.. it is not bad to email them or enquire... but one week is a little too lucky... From my experience, they seem to create cases in bunches.. I sent docs in august and another person sent his is september and one more in october.. all of us got cases created in october...... The chennai consulate claims it takes any where between 1 - 5 months to verify the principal applicant's LPR status before they can create an FTJ case... It is mentioned in one of the old discussions on this site

Srini

mojavetoo said:
That's wishful thinking and also a misrepresentation.
In fact, what the USCIS website meant is they will use your
Priority Date. Your spouse/kids still need to wait for a visa number.
I asked my lawyer.

I agree with mojavetoo.......

My case is an example. My PD was July 2, 2002 and they created case in E-3. When E-3 was retrogressed, the lady kept saying that my wife will get an interview only when the PD becomes current (later I corrected the category to E-1 and immediately got an interview)

Srini

Inrisk said:

Chennai consulate initiates the cases by mail (postal). I had a friend who went to the consulate and they asked him to mail the docs and wait for packet 3. There may be some exceptions. You need not go there personally if you want to try luck. Send notarized copies of ur docs to your wife and she can go there in person if she can do it. Just making a trip for this purpose may be disappointing...

Srini

ansi2004 said:
Does any body know an answer to this question? Will the Consulate initiate processing FTJ cases once it receives documents from us (and keep processing the case) even though EB3 visa numbers are not available?

Or will they just keep the documents on hold without initiating the case until the visa numbers become available?

The situation keeps changing against my favour and I am getting frustrated... started thinking of moving out for good seriously!!! I mean, how many times one person can give in to all these stupid nonsense!

Ansi,
We can understand ur problem and we all are sailing in the same boat.Have patiance .I know its really tough to convince our wifes all the time.
God is there and things will be all right soon...
RM101

NJBLUE said:
Hi FTJ05 & calerius

My situation is also same as yours. I have sent a mail to Chennai Consulate requesting them initiate FTJ for my wife.

I have sent the same documents during the first week of June and I'm yet to receive response from them.

FTJ05 please let me know if you get any response.

My PD is January 2002 and category is EB3.

Thanks

Blue,
Can u plz tell to which address did u mail ur docs for chennai.I am also planning to send this week...I know teh address that is in chennai website but just want to reconfirm.

Thanks,
RM101
Thanks

srini_pvr said:
Guys.. plz don't get too worried. I have submitted docs to chennai consulate in August and my case was created on october 26th. If you call, the lady will tell it will take 3 months to create a case. It is just a matter of luck in case somebody's case gets created in a week or some thing like that.. it is not bad to email them or enquire... but one week is a little too lucky... From my experience, they seem to create cases in bunches.. I sent docs in august and another person sent his is september and one more in october.. all of us got cases created in october...... The chennai consulate claims it takes any where between 1 - 5 months to verify the principal applicant's LPR status before they can create an FTJ case... It is mentioned in one of the old discussions on this site

Srini

Hi Srini,
Did u have to send the I-824 receipt or worse did u ever apply for I-824. Somewhere buried in the old messages, there was a mention of chennai consulate not requiring I-824 as they can verify my LPR independently. And is it advisable to keep sending mails twice a week inquiring about the docs received and what they r doing about it.

thanks
calerius

calerius said:
Hi Srini,
Did u have to send the I-824 receipt or worse did u ever apply for I-824. Somewhere buried in the old messages, there was a mention of chennai consulate not requiring I-824 as they can verify my LPR independently. And is it advisable to keep sending mails twice a week inquiring about the docs received and what they r doing about it.

thanks
calerius

The chennai consulate lady mentioned clearly to me that 824 is not required to create a case. But my lawyer said to file, wait for the receipt and then send all the documents. I did that, and after a few days my 824 was approved. I called the consulate and mentioned it but they said they never received it. I sent a scanned copy of my approval for their reference. I don't think they cared to look at it... I never sent an email, but I asked my lawyer to do it.. doesn't hurt to send emails frequently but don't piss them off.......

Status
Not open for further replies.