Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
srini_pvr said:
Hi Ganesh:

Similar news from my side too.. Heard the same thing.. I have an approved I-824 and the service center said they faxed my GC status to chennai consulate... They say they are waiting for confirmation.. Doesn't sound in sync. My lawyer said may be it takes some time for the fax (sent by way of my I-824 approval) to reach the officer... Planning to mail again next week..

Hope it doesn't take 2-3 months.. Lets hope for the best...

Srini

If you have already submitted the I-824 receipt notice, copy of your welcome letter and GC ( color copy, scan and print color) to the consulate when you submitted your application, they will go ahead and process and create a case number. Later when you go for interview, if you have other approved documents, thats all they want. Its becomming clear from other applicants who have gone through the process that Madras consulate been pretty consistent that way and they are moving things faster and its not isolated cases.

Mike,

I am waiting for my physical GC. I do have my I-824 approval notice. I sent all other docs you mentioned before. I called them and the lady responded saying it takes 2 to 3 months. My lawyer emailed them and he got the response that they are waiting for the confirmation of my status. He did mention in the mail that we have an approved I-824. What do you suggest ? I should send I-824 approval and GC again immediately after I receive it.

Srini

what happens after FTJ gets approved at a consulate?

I found this forum exteremly useful and I appreciate your efforts and help. I am not clear what the approval of a FTJ application means? does it mean a spouse will get an actual green card stamp on the passport and hence they can use it to enter the US? meaning that they are all set with the green card and should expect the physical card to be mailed to them (possibly at their spouse's address in the US). Or does a FTJ approval gives the spouse some visa stamp on their passport and then they have to do adjustment of status (I-485) once they enter the US? meaning they still have a few more years possibly to get their green card.

One more question, my I-485 is still pending, is it a good idea to file I-824, for my wife who is overseas, while I-485 is still pending? or do I have to file it after it gets approved. thanks for all your help.

Tax Returns

Hi Mike:

It is in Bombay, they need appointment it seems. We got scheduled for Friday. I sent last 4 years W2s and 1040's xerox copies and originals to my spouse..But I filed electronically my tax returns using HR block so there is "Do not File, Copy Only" on each page. Would this be a problem or do I have to take Tax Transcript from IRS? I don't have time to mail also now, the interview is on October 4th. Any tips? Thank you..

Gc

Currently, I am on L1B visa. My fiancee is going to get her green card soon. In fact, she had her fingerprints done 2 months ago. I am wondering, if I marry her before she gets her physical green card, is that going to be beneficial? Also, her father came to US on refugee visa, and she joined him as a dependent.
If for any reason, my employment with the current employer is terminated, will I able to stay here? After marrying her, will I get an EAD? Will EAD replace the L1?

I will appreciate your reply.

srini_pvr said:
Mike,

I am waiting for my physical GC. I do have my I-824 approval notice. I sent all other docs you mentioned before. I called them and the lady responded saying it takes 2 to 3 months. My lawyer emailed them and he got the response that they are waiting for the confirmation of my status. He did mention in the mail that we have an approved I-824. What do you suggest ? I should send I-824 approval and GC again immediately after I receive it.

Srini

Dont worry, the lady there always says it takes 2 to 3 months. They told me the same thing when I called them first, later after a week my wife received a letter with case # and after a month, a letter with Interview date and packet4. So relax!

manishg_in said:
Currently, I am on L1B visa. My fiancee is going to get her green card soon. In fact, she had her fingerprints done 2 months ago. I am wondering, if I marry her before she gets her physical green card, is that going to be beneficial? Also, her father came to US on refugee visa, and she joined him as a dependent.
If for any reason, my employment with the current employer is terminated, will I able to stay here? After marrying her, will I get an EAD? Will EAD replace the L1?

Marrying her before her I-485 petition is approved ( Not Physical card) is the best option. Else you have to wait for near 5 years for your visa in family category. If you marry her before her approval, u can still file I-485 as a dependent since you are already in the country legally, you might get your EAD card also. Else if her petition is already approved and she is waiting for her Physical card, than you have to wait for 5 yrs atleast. However, if you are already in the country you can wait for 3 years and apply for 'V' visa and than after 2 years file for adjustment. Meanwhile for those 3 years you have to maintain status( L1 or H1) in this country else you will be out of status and might have problem when you go for your interview.
Consult an attorney and work on your case.
EAD will replace your L1 only if you apply for it and receive it, else you will continue on L1.

I am not a lawyer, this is what I know talking to other friends and their experiences. Please consult an immigration attorney to clarify all the above.

mereguru said:
Hi Mike:

It is in Bombay, they need appointment it seems. We got scheduled for Friday. I sent last 4 years W2s and 1040's xerox copies and originals to my spouse..But I filed electronically my tax returns using HR block so there is "Do not File, Copy Only" on each page. Would this be a problem or do I have to take Tax Transcript from IRS? I don't have time to mail also now, the interview is on October 4th. Any tips? Thank you..

Just a copy is enough. I sent only copies and had no problem. However she had orginal w2 forms with her incase adn they did not ask for it. 1040's are just copies as these days most of them file electonically. SO relax its gonna be okay.

yalla said:
I found this forum exteremly useful and I appreciate your efforts and help. I am not clear what the approval of a FTJ application means? does it mean a spouse will get an actual green card stamp on the passport and hence they can use it to enter the US? meaning that they are all set with the green card and should expect the physical card to be mailed to them (possibly at their spouse's address in the US). Or does a FTJ approval gives the spouse some visa stamp on their passport and then they have to do adjustment of status (I-485) once they enter the US? meaning they still have a few more years possibly to get their green card.

One more question, my I-485 is still pending, is it a good idea to file I-824, for my wife who is overseas, while I-485 is still pending? or do I have to file it after it gets approved. thanks for all your help.

I found this forum extremly useful and attribute my wifes quick visa process after reading the postings on here. Hence I am trying to help out others as much as I can as sometimes people are misled by lawyers who we assume know everything regarding immigration under the sun, in reality they dont. If not for Rajiv khanna and Sheila Murthy helping people around here with their websites, most of them would be forced to PAY heft sums to process their cases. My lawyer quoted between $3000 to $5000 to process FTJ application for my wife. I did it myself after reading the postings over here. Morever she has no clue about the whole process and if I had gone with her would have waited ofr I-824 approval and than applied leading to another 5 months of waiting.

Anyway...here is the answer to your question based on my experience.

1) FTJ approved means her petion to join you has been approved, she gets a temporary stamp on her passport.
2) She will be processed as new immigrant while entering the country based on that stamp.
3)She will get her Physical Green Card within few months of her arrival ( sometimes within a month to the address mentioned in the petion, usually its the residing address in US.
4)The whole idea of FTJ is that she/he can derive the dependant status under the same visa number that you have been approved, since you have married him/her before your visa has been approved. Hence waiting for a seperate visa number to be available is not necessarry like the usual family petion cases.

1) Approval

manishg_in said:

Check this link: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=140913&highlight=Follow+join
Read on, there are some important details " PRINCEOFJUNGLE" has posted that might help you. Run to the wedding chapel!

Hi Mike:

Any ideas about rescheduling the interview? Our passport is struck in Passport office for PCC, the passport officer didn't sign y'day and we are left only with Friday..We haven't given medicals yet, consular officer mentioned to come even if the medicals are not ready.. Monday is the interview and the passport is still struck..So we want to reschedule the interview in case we don't get the passport by Friday afternoon.. Thank you for your help..

mereguru said:
Hi Mike:

Any ideas about rescheduling the interview? Our passport is struck in Passport office for PCC, the passport officer didn't sign y'day and we are left only with Friday..We haven't given medicals yet, consular officer mentioned to come even if the medicals are not ready.. Monday is the interview and the passport is still struck..So we want to reschedule the interview in case we don't get the passport by Friday afternoon.. Thank you for your help..

Dude, Sorry you got into this situation. WHy didnt you guys get all things done ahead, you almost had one month before the interview to do all your medical, PCC etc????. Anyway in the interview letter they have instructions as to how to reschedule an interview.
Try your best to get your Passport atleast that way you can go through the interview and provide other documentation later. Just try to get a letter from your Local Police headquarters. Maybe go talk to the High authorities at the Passport office and plead your case or something.

We sent the documents on Aug 8th and then they sent the packet3 in Sep 1st week..We sent them in 2nd week of Sep and they posted the interview date as Oct 4th on their web site. We still haven't got the appointment letter they sent in the mail..Went to the consulate and got the duplicate appointment letter.. Started this PCC process in Aug mid but it is taking lot of time over there it seems..Now it is pending passport officer signature and he didn't had time to sign it y'day..We are hoping to get it done today..If not rescheduling is the only option..

yalla said:

Yalla
I have consulted a couple of lawyers and they all agree that even if u r on EAD card, as long as u have an approved H1 petition you can bring your wife to the US on a H4. U DO NOT have to have the H1 stamped on your passport. Once your wife comes to the US, she can file for the adjustment of status.
I recommend this as the best option... If by any chance your 485 petition gets approved before your wife file's her adjustment of status application, u can always fall back on the F2J process....

Ganesh

Srini,
I guess I should be getting my plastic card in a week ( since online msg says that the card has been ordered).. After that I will send my wife a notorized copy and hopefully that should be sufficient for the consulate to create the Case#
(Note - I did not file for 824)

Mike, thanx for helping everyone out ....

Thx
Ganesh

Ganesh:

Sounds good.... I think that is the best thing as Mike is suggesting.. I don't see change in status for me.. waiting for it..

Srini

Mike,

Looking at the case for Mereguru, I am a little concerned with the PCC. What do we need to do for obtaining PCC from passport office ? Do we need the appointment letter for it ? I think it is best idea to just apply for it as soon as the case is created... what do you suggest ?

Regards
Srini

Status
Not open for further replies.