Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OF 169 & DS 230 part I

Originally posted by cool-guy
No need to waste time in mail back and forth.
These forms are simple and can be filled without
a lawyer.

In fact you can fill the online version,
take a print out. Alternatly if you have PDF writer
you can save the forms and send in an email to your
spouse. Hope this helps.

Cool-guy

Hi Cool guy or anyone out there who has successfully get their I824 approved.

Would you mind sharing with the rest of us how you fill out the I824 and the supplementary form? Perhaps a copy of what you filled (replace your personal info with generic info? My e-mail:garbagel@hotmail.com Or see whether I do it the right way.

Part 1:
My personal information.
Also do I need to type the Company name that sponsored me or can I leave it blank?

Part 2:
I ticked the C (I am requesting that a U.S. Consulate be notified that my status has been adjusted to
permanent resident. Please notify the U.S. Consulate at: ) and filled in with the US consulate of my choice (Is this right?)

Part 3:
This is the part that I'm confused with.

Type of Petition/Application (Form #) : Follow to Join
Filing Receipt # N/A
Date of Filing (mm/dd/yyyy): N/A (not sure what this is)
Date of Approval (mm/dd/yyyy): N/A (not sure what this is either)

- This section I'm not sure how to fill it. Do I provide my wife's information or should I leave it blank?
If petition is filed for another person, give the following information about the person
you filed for:

Part 4:
Sign, print my name, type my day time phone, and date.

Also this is the docs that I have to provide right?

- A copy of the original application or petition that was used to apply for your immigrant status (Everything from I140 to I485 right?)
- A copy of the I-797, Notice of Action, for your original application or petition
- A copy of your alien registration receipt card or I-551

I have read the thread of this subject. The information is scatered all over and it confused the heck out of me and I'm sure some other people feel the same also. So I thought I consolidate the question in one page and hopefully you can help answering it. One page deal kind of thing..

Any comment? Please advise. Many thanks in advance.. My apology for asking so much.

The Dude
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

dude :

my lawyer helped me in 824.

this is what i had applied for.

part 2

....notify consulate XXXXX so that my wife XXXXXXX can follow to join.

part 3 details has to be filled with your 485 info.

Re: 824

Originally posted by asrini
dude :

my lawyer helped me in 824.

this is what i had applied for.

part 2

....notify consulate XXXXX so that my wife XXXXXXX can follow to join.

part 3 details has to be filled with your 485 info.

Thanks Asrini.

Can you comment on Part 2 again? :confused: So should I keep with Tick C but add the wording you mentioned? Or should I tick B instead with the wording you mentioned?

Part 3 I'm also kind of confused. Keep the Type of Petition/Application (Form #) with this info Follow to Join or should I fill it with something else like I-485 since it is I-485 info form, right? Would you mind taking a look at your I-824 app? The rest of the info in part 3 I should be able to find them in my I-485.. :D (hopefully)

This should definitely clarify everything.. My apology for keep asking silly questions.. Many thanks in advance Asrini and the rest of the members for your assistance. :D I'm sure the rest of the members appreciate this information also..

The Dude

finally

I checked with the consulate and my wife's interview is scheduled for 18th feb. asrini - did you hear anything about your wife's ?

My FTJ

My Wife's FTJ
==========
Hello All, I have been reading these threads for a while, never posted my details.

Well, I have received my I-824 Approval Last week( Jan 8). I have sent all the documents ( p-3, notarized ) to my Chennai.

Here are my details.
I-824 RD- July 2003
RFE - Dec 2 2003
I-824 Approval Jan 8, 2004.

This is interesting, my understanding was, INS will send a cable to Consulate about the I-824 Approval, to create a case#, however I talked to some from consulate , other day and she ask me to mail all the papers)p-3) , once they have recvd the papers, it seems they are going to call INS to verify the approval, to create the case#.
Well, any thoughts on this? Also how long will it take to get appt scheduled after creating the case#?

good news

:D :D :D
aug31021, asrini, and friends

I hope the following info may encourage fellow members.
My wife got packet#4 on last Saturday (01/17/2004) in speed post. Interview is scheduled on Feb 24th 2004. My I-824 is still pending.

She is planning to come to USA in last week of March or first week of April. If anyone (your relative) coming to USA from either Hyderabad or Chennai in this period please let me know.

Thanks and good luck to all
:D :cool: :D

Re: good news

GCFEELING - As i posted above, my wife also received packet4 yesterday. Her interview is on 18th and planning to come to US last week of feb or first week of march. I also looking for someone coming to US around the same time. I will let u know if someone is coming down in April.
asrini - Whats the status of your ftj ?

Originally posted by GCFEELING
:D :D :D
aug31021, asrini, and friends

I hope the following info may encourage fellow members.
My wife got packet#4 on last Saturday (01/17/2004) in speed post. Interview is scheduled on Feb 24th 2004. My I-824 is still pending.

She is planning to come to USA in last week of March or first week of April. If anyone (your relative) coming to USA from either Hyderabad or Chennai in this period please let me know.

Thanks and good luck to all
:D :cool: :D

I-824

GCFEELING

How long ago was your case created, I am trying to find out how much time does it take from creating the case to schedule the interview, thanks

Re: I-824

mn_ftjj - My case was created (at chennai cons) middle of nov , they got packet3 in 3rd week of Dec and now the interview is schedule for second week of feb. I guess if you send packet 3 in first or second week of a month, you have a good chance to get interview in the coming month.

Originally posted by mn_ftjJ
GCFEELING

How long ago was your case created, I am trying to find out how much time does it take from creating the case to schedule the interview, thanks

ftj

aug3102

So did you send packet-3 to create the case? Or just the Birth certificate etc? I have been asked by consulate to send Passport copies/Birth certificate to create case.

Would you recomment to send the packet-3 now, or just wait for consulate to send it to my wife so that she can fill it and send it back. Appreciate your response, thanks

Sent docs to Chennai for FTJ

Folks,
I just returned from my vacation in India. During my visit, I tried visting the Chennai consulate to submit the FTJ docs in person but they insisted that I can send those docs only through mail. So, I sent all the required docs to them with the help of a local courier firm.
Can anyone tell me what to do now? They say it may take upto 5 months for verification. I've submitted copies of my I-140 approval and I-485 receipt notice in the hope that it would establish a history of events to help them validate my LPR claim more efficiently. Any inputs on this?
Thanks in advance

mn_ftj

What did u do to get your I-824 approved so quickly? Please share ur experience.

Originally posted by mn_ftjJ
aug3102

So did you send packet-3 to create the case? Or just the Birth certificate etc? I have been asked by consulate to send Passport copies/Birth certificate to create case.

Would you recomment to send the packet-3 now, or just wait for consulate to send it to my wife so that she can fill it and send it back. Appreciate your response, thanks

WheresMahGreen, I did't do anything, these days i-824 are getting approved withing 4-5 months in NVC.

I have receieved an email from chennai today saying that I should submit form DS-230 Part1. This is the new version of OF230.

If you look at the zip file in consulate website, they have the old form, please clarify with Chenni before filling OF-230

FYI.

mn_ftj

Thanks for your prompt response. I am a little confused, however. Did you send the I-824 to NVC and not to VSC back in July? I filed a form I-824 at VSC requesting them to inform US Chennai consulate when my I-485 case gets approved. The receipt notice says that it takes anywhere from 150-999 days to process such a case. My calls to the service center were futile cuz they wouldnt even look into the case before the quoted time is up.
As for the DS form, yes, following the postings on this thread, I was aware of the newer version. Although the Chennai consulate people said I need to only submit preliminary documents to help them validate my LPR claim, I submitted DS230-Part 1 also.

interview

hey guys,

I was out of town for few days.

Good to hear about all the interview news (Packet 4).

Even my wife's interview dates are fixed and she
will be attending on Feb 25th morning.

I really hope you can share all the experiences happened.

I havent decided of when to book tickets for my wife.
May be she might fly during end of march or third week of march from chennai to NJ/NY.

keep replying.

bye

asrini and all

Guys,
Looking at your respective case history, I cannot help but wonder whether although Chennai Consualte says I-824 approval is not mandatory, the verification process gets delayed until the I-824 is approved. Of course, there were a couple of cases where a case number was created while the I-824 was pending, but these remain only exceptions from what I've read in the thread.

Also, I tried calling the US Consulate in Chennai to verify receipt of the set of documents I'd mailed in, but the lady who answered my call told me that they don't provide such information over the phone and that I will have to wait for the Consulate to get back to me after their verification.

Can any one of you please throw some light on whats the best way to follow up on the case? Also, do they provide any receipt after accepting the documents?

Thanks in advance.

HI WheresMahGreen

As per my understanding it goes like this: If you received your plastic card (I-551), and you are married before your I-485-approval (there may be some other scenarios) then you are eligible for visa badger process (You can find more on visa badger process on this thread). Once Chennai Consulate received all your information (required documents mentioned in this thread), they will verify with USCIS (it may take awhile) and create a case number for you. You knew the rest of the process.

Most of the officers in Chennai ACG will answer all generic questions but not confirming mails (I don’t know why). But once they assigned a case number they are prompt to inform you. I tracked my mail through the courier’s tracking number.

Best way of following up is to send an email with your name and case number/A# (if you have one) at appropriate interval (not often). No! They don’t provide a receipt for your mail, but they will process the documents and let you know the next step in the process. As per my observation, I found that Chennai ACG working better now a days. I congratulate them for their improvements.

Good luck to you
:) :D :)

GCFeeling

Thank you for your kind response.

I applied for the FTJ prior to actually receiving the physical card in hand (using the stamp). I sent them an e-mail enquiring whether they have received my case (citing my wife's name) and they replied in the affirmative. They also asked me to check back in 8 weeks. I guess I will write them in the middle of March.

What was interesting to note was the fact that in the FAM, under chapter 9 and section 42, they have some guidance in the form of Procedural Notes for the consular officers regarding FTJ. In that, it states clearly that the posts should not attempt to contact the USCIS just to verify LPR. Instead, they should rely on evidence such as the actual greencard (in the absence of which, the stamp and reasonably supporting documents) to verify the LPR of principal alien. VISAS BADGER should be the last resort and it takes 8-10 weeks. When I asked about this to the CSR, she said that while other posts may follow this rule, Chennai has its own set of rules and that they would send individual verification directly to the USCIS.

Which begs another question: In 2002, the adjudication of I-485 cases (among others) were halted while they introduced a cross-agency data verification system. And, they continued to install new systems which would give authorized personnel instant information about one and all. Now, if this caused my case to be in limbo for two years, what the heck are they doing verifying my LPR status for five months?

Any FTJ experience with the Mumbai Consulate?

Anyone on this forum who applied to Mumbai Consulate for FTJ?
My GC came through and I am leaving for India to apply for
FTJ.

I Spoke to Mumbai consulate, but received conflicting
information. First they said that it should be applied with VSC!
The second time I called, this lady said come with your GC
stamp/card along with notarized I-140 documents!

Thanks

-skid

can someone clarify...

Today my wife received a letter from the Chennai US Consulate adivising her that they are awaiting a visa number from the State Dept in DC and that once they receive it, they will schedule an interview for her. I'd sent in the required FTJ docs just three weeks ago. Could someone please tell me whether this is a standard letter to acknowledge receipt of the docs or whether this is a further step in the process? There is also a number starting MDR2004XXXXX on the letter.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.