Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
interview experience...

Anyone out here know or has experienced the interviews at the consulate - as final part of the follow-to-join??

Questions they are asking?
Any documents they want in specific?
how long is the interview?
how did it go?
what was told at the end of the interview?
etc.

any information will be extremely helpful...

Re: Got it the FAM document!

Skid,
Any response from your attorney regarding presenting evidence to the consular officer in person?

Thanks

Originally posted by skid
OK friends, after a lot of searching, I finally located the
document.

FAM 0942053PN : 9 FAM 42.53 available @http://foia.state.gov/regs/fams.asp

look for "42.53 Procedural Notes"

Refer section
PN1.2 When Post record does not exist
--------------------------------------------------
a. If no post record exists, posts should make every effort to
verify the principal alien's visa category, chargeability, priority
date, and admission into the United States based on available
documentation such as:
(1) The principal alien's Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card;
(2) Form I-181, Memorandum of Creation of Record of Lawful
Permanent Residence or Form I-824 Application for Action on an
Approved Application or Petition;
(3) Cabled notification from INS; or
(4) The principal alien's Adit stamp showing entry as an immigrant.
b. The principal alien has the primary responsibility for establishing
his and/or her legal resident status. Posts should only request
verification of status through the VISAS BADGER process as a last
resort.

and

PN1.3 When Principal Adjusts Status
----------------------------------------------

"In cases where the principal alien who adjusted status in
the United States presents Form I-551, Alien Registration
Receipt Card, with the visa application of a relative entitled to
derivative classification and priority date [see 9 FAM 42.53 N6],
the consular officer should create a case record for the derivative
applicants. At a minimum, this record should include:
(1) Name, date and place of birth of the visa applicant;
(2) Name of the permanent resident and relationship to the applicant;
(3) Date of presentation of Form I-551; and
(4) Resident alien’s registration number, date of admission for
permanent residence, and visa classification.

p.s: I have sent the above to my attorney for clarification.

- skid

I intend to visit the consulate in person as soon as the I-485
approval (and the corresponding gc stamp) comes through.

note: The attorneys have not yet received a reply from the consulate.

skid

I will be visiting India starting next week. Hopefully I can get to meet a consular officer. Let's see what happens. I am just getting all the documents ready in the meanwhile. I think the biggest hurdle is getting past the local CSR's at the consulates!

Originally posted by skid
I intend to visit the consulate in person as soon as the I-485
approval (and the corresponding gc stamp) comes through.

note: The attorneys have not yet received a reply from the consulate.

skid

Re: FTJ Documents for Chennai

Dear WheresMahGreen,

I am also the same situation like you,

Here is my story:

RD: April 03
Transfered Date: 10/12/03
Interview: 11/20/03
Approved same day!! good news.

I spoke to local consulate in india for FTJ,

They are asking Photo copy of following Docs:

For following to join cases, we need confirmation of principal applicant's Legal Permanent Resident Status (LPR) from the BCIS(former INS). So after the principal applicant receives his/her green card in hand, please send the following notarized documents to our office after you get the Green card.

Approval Notice (Form I-797)

Entire Passport pages

Green Card (Both sides)

Marriage Certificate

Applicant's Birth Certificate

Local address.

I am waiting to get my GC plastic card first.

Since my case has been transfered to loacl office, could you please advise me how to get I - 797?

I spoke to attorney, he doesn't know?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
to asrini

asirni - Any news about your wife's interview. We definitely missed January, but whats the chance for Feb ?

arulraj/wheresmahgreen,

I am soon going to be in the same boat as urs. Did U guys apply for I-824 or is skipping that process altogether.?

Is it true that we can go ahead with FTJ with the approval notice / Green Card copies w/o having 824 filing?

Greatly appreciate ur help and advise.

Thanks,
-solicit

Originally posted by solicit
arulraj/wheresmahgreen,

I am soon going to be in the same boat as urs. Did U guys apply for I-824 or is skipping that process altogether.?

Is it true that we can go ahead with FTJ with the approval notice / Green Card copies w/o having 824 filing?

Greatly appreciate ur help and advise.

Thanks,
-solicit

I skipped I- 824, there si no need I -824 for FTJ in "CHENNAI CONSULATE", I spoke with Chennai Consulate people and I confirmed this.

Arulraj,

Thanks for your response. Could you suggest as to who who you spoke to at Chennai Consulate and the mode ( in person/ email/ telephonic ). Please provide the email/ph through which you were able to establish the correspondance.

Did U go in person to the consulate and submit the docs for generating the Case No.

Also , any idea as to how long it takes for them to schedule an interview based on the inputs you received..

Thanks,
-solicit

Arulraj,

Thanks for your response. Could you suggest as to who who you spoke to at Chennai Consulate and the mode ( in person/ email/ telephonic ). Please provide the email/ph through which you were able to establish the correspondance.

Did U go in person to the consulate and submit the docs for generating the Case No.

Also , any idea as to how long it takes for them to schedule an interview based on the inputs you received..

Thanks,
-solicit

Solict,

I contacted them by Phone and email, not in person.

I didn't apply anything yet.

I am waiting to get my GC "Plastic card", without that I can't appy!!

It will take 5 to 6 months (from chennai consulate)

Thanks

Arulraj,

Thanks again . Could U share with me the email and ph nos you used to contact Chennai consulate to elicit a response regarding FTJ.

I have PMd U. Please see your PM.

Thanks,
-solicit

Arulraj,

Thanks again . Could U share with me the email and ph nos you used to contact Chennai consulate to elicit a response regarding FTJ.

I have PMd U. Please see your PM.

Thanks,
-solicit

Hi Solicit:

Here is the Contact Details:

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220 Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Phone: 91-44-28112060(direct)
91-44-28112000(board)
Fax: 91-44-28112032/2027

waiting for interview

Originally posted by aug3102
asirni - Any news about your wife's interview. We definitely missed January, but whats the chance for Feb ?

aug3102,

My wife did send the application form to chennai consulate 10 days back and confirmed that they got it properly.
Till today, i didnt get any news about interview.
As you said, i guess, we may get a Feb interview as of now.

Let us wait and see...

-ananth

you can email me to ananthu_sri@yahoo.com

please give me ur id too.

Re: Follow-To -Join

Originally posted by dharma rao
Is it somewhat late to call your case a follow to join.You need to quickly consult an attorney before you can file I 824, I 864 for dependents.To be eligible for a follow to join one shd be married b4 the I 485 stage.This is not a legal advice I am not a lawyer.

So please help me understand this. You can only do FTJ if you get married before i485? What about if you met someone after you've filled i485 then get married? and how long prior to stamping to we have to be married? Please advise.

Many thanks..

The Dude :confused:

reply for "thedude"

You are safe till you get the news from INS saying "And hereby we have approved your GC". Till your 485 gets final approval (not stamping,approval is enough) , you can marry and be eligible to apply the FTJ process...

If you are single on the day your 485 got approved, you are not qualified to apply FTJ for your wife.

docs sent to chennai....need help

Hi,
i sent all of the required docs for FTJ to Chennai in August. I kept on sending emails to confirm that they received the papers. First few email they sent me saying that "there is no case in the system". Just yesterday i got email that they didnt receive my papers yet.

I went to USPS to verify the same...USPS tells me that its already delivered at madras, india after 5 days.

Now the issue is that i dont have the original notary certified docs that i sent to consulate. Ii have only copies of those docs.
Does it help for GC holder to visit consulate in india in person? (I am visiting india).

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Hawk74

MDR Number (aug3102)

hey aug3102,

what is your wife's case number for this FTJ in chennai ?

mine is MDR200332XXXX

let me know urs and also, is yours alreaady listed in the schedule in chennai consulate web site appointments ??

let me know

Re: reply for "thedude"

Originally posted by asrini
You are safe till you get the news from INS saying "And hereby we have approved your GC". Till your 485 gets final approval (not stamping,approval is enough) , you can marry and be eligible to apply the FTJ process...

If you are single on the day your 485 got approved, you are not qualified to apply FTJ for your wife.

This is awesome. Thanks Asrini. One more question though. My wife can still qualify for follow to join, eventhough in my original apps for I485 I stated that I was single, but then I got married prior to approval? Also what kind of proof of marriage do I have to provide?

and can someone also please help me understand what is "following-to-join immigrant visa"? Is this just a visa for my spouse to come to States so that she can apply for I-485 or this is the I-485? And out of curiosity, does common law wife can be admitted as marriage? My apology for keep asking silly questions...:D

Many thanks..

The Dude

Last edited by a moderator:
I-140/I-485 need help

I am on H1B for last 5 years; I came to US from India on H1B from
Company "A" on Jan 1999. Then I switched to another company "B" on Jan, 2000. Company "B" started my Green Card processing in year Jan 2002. First stage of processing "Labor & RIR" cleared on Dec third week of 2003.

I got married on Dec first week of 2003. My wife still has one and half year of her studies to be completed in India. Now I am back in US after my marriage and came to know that my Labor is cleared and have to apply for my next stage of my Green Card Processing, i.e. I-140 and I-485, Now my question is/are

1) If I have to include my wife's name in I-140/I-485, should my wife have to be in USA on H4 status or she can be in India continuing her studies for next 1.5 year.

2) If I get her H4 status and get my wife to USA during her vacation and then go back to India to continue her studies, how that is going to effect my /her processing.

3) I also need the information about getting my wife H4 visa. What are the requirements and documents needed?

Re: MDR Number (aug3102)

asrini - Mine is also MDR200332xxxx. Hoping to get a date in february. They going to publish the schedule on 14th.

Originally posted by asrini
hey aug3102,

what is your wife's case number for this FTJ in chennai ?

mine is MDR200332XXXX

let me know urs and also, is yours alreaady listed in the schedule in chennai consulate web site appointments ??

let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.