Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live_Love_Laugh

I did the same thing what you have asked. But i did not apply in the local consulate even though i had a valid H1 approved fearing of the consequence of rejection. I would say you try to avoid it as much as you can. Anyway, it should nt affect your GC anyway if all the information you have provided in the H1 were true.

Good Luck!!!!
GCARD

Friends - I have a question for experienced guys. I go tmy GC 6 months ago and still waiting for my wife's ftj. Will it affect wife's GC if i leave my job or it i get kaid off ? Do i need to be employed in order for her to get her GC ? Thanks for your help ...

Hi Aug3102

In my understanding you need to be employed somewhere and getting salary greater than the poverty line which is >$18K (For Married family with no kids) at the time of interview.

While filing packet04 during the interview you have to submit

1) Employment letter
2) Other savings etc

I would strongly suggest you to retain the job as much as you can. If unfortunate things do happen then try for another job which meets the above criteria atleast. For my wife's interview they seemed to be particular about the employment letter.

Regards
GCARD

Thanks for your reply GCARD. I was trying to take leave and spend time with my wife, but that will mean losing the job. This ftj is never ending process.

FTJ

I have a question for experienced FTJ folks.

I got my GC approved today and want to file my wife's FTJ at New Delhi consulate. Though after speaking to whole bunch of lawyers and even the consular section at new delhi, I was told it should take anywhere in between 4-6 months for the whole process to finish.

But I have seen people, with much more experience about this process then anyone else, say otherwise on this forum.

Please let me know if this is realistic to get FTJ (new delhi) completed within 4-6 months time frame.

Also, can anyone of you please help me in understanding "what to do and what not to do".

Thanks for help in advance.

You are the petitioner and your wife is beneficiary.
On a seperated cover include full name and address of your wife so that U. S. consulate can contact her.

Thanks Okun. That's what I thought was right too. However, on my receipt notice it says me as both the petitioner and beneficiary. I think the attorney didn't catch that one but he did attach a cover letter with my wife's name and address on it.

BTW, GURUS who have FTJ experience in Chennai consulate, could you please answer the following:
1. Does Chennai require an approved I-824? In their response to my email enquiry, they have made no mention of I-824. But I am not sure how dependable are these generic responses from them.

2. Do we need to wait for the physical card or can we apply with the stamp on the passport (along with other documents such as 485 approval notice, birth certificates, passport copies, 140 application and approval copies etc)?

3. How long does it take from sending out the docs to obtaining an interview date?

Thanks in advance.

WheresMahGreen

For Question#1

As per my understanding and experience, Chennai consulate can proceed with the following for the FTJ cases. Submit the notarized copies of

1) I-485 approval
2) I-551 Stamping or GC Photocopy
3) I-140 approval.
4) Passport copies of the you and your spouse
5) Birth certificate
6) Marriage Certificate
7) I-824 Receipt Notice

It might take around 2-3 months for them to generate Packet3. This process is called as Badger process. In my case everything happened at the same time (badger process outcome + I-824 approval) So I dont know which one initiated the packet03 generation but my wife is pretty confident the badger process is the one that helped us as for as p03 is concerned.

For Question#2

I didnot submit Physical Gc. I submitted only I-551 stamping on the passport.

For question #3

Pl refer to my posting

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=4798&pagenumber=36#post499166

Hope this helps you

GCARD!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
GCard

Thank you for taking time to answer my question.
Can you please confirm that you indeed waited six months after applying for I-824 to send in the notarized docs to Chennai consulate?
Also, by "badger process" do you mean the dictionary meaning of the word badger? Or is there an actual process which incidentally has the same word describing it?

Thanks again! And congratulations on your wife's successful FTJ process completion!

Hi WheresMahGreen

Unfortunately I waited for six months. I would strongly suggest you to send notarized copies to the consulate ASAP and keep calling them as much as you can. That will help you defnitely.

I dont know the orgin of the name "Badger Process" so I cant comment on that.

Hope this helps

Good Luck in your Wife's GC

GCARD!!!!

question to gcard !!! ftj process

gcard and all other friends,

My 824 is still on going and looks like it is not going to come up any soon.

So, I applied FTJ process to my wife on apr 20th in chennai directly as per u guys idea. I just wanted to know how you call them and ask about details of your process. Do you email them or directly call them ? what is the number ?

when i sent email to get to know the status about this, they simply cut and paste an email which says "this process takes 5-6 months.Please wait"

I am not sure whether they really check the system and let u know.

any input is welcome.

thanks

-ananth

I-130

Hi,

I'm a Green Card Holder and have question about filing petition for my spouse. My fiancee is already here in USA. I'm planning to get married soon. She is on F1 Visa. I heard that if i file a petition for her, she can stay in United States as long as the petition is pending. Is this true ? The only thing is, she cant live the country when the petition is pending. Please provide me some advice on this.
-Avi

I-130

Hi,

I'm a Green Card Holder and have question about filing petition for my spouse. My fiancee is already here in USA. I'm planning to get married soon. She is on F1 Visa. I heard that if i file a petition for her, she can stay in United States as long as the petition is pending. Is this true ? The only thing is, she cant live the country when the petition is pending. Please provide me some advice on this.

Help please

I got my green card six months ago. I want to apply for FTJ for my family. My attorney is charging more than $2000 for I824. I already paid him top dollars for green card. I would like to apply for it my self now.

I have two question. 1. Can I do it my self? 2. I don’t have marriage certificate. Can I substitute non-availability and affidavits for marriage certificate?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

GCFeeling

For Question#1

You can do it yourself. If you want you can pay me $1000 ;) . I will do it for you (Just kiding). It is very straight forward and you can do it yourself. If you need any help I can do my best. I did it myself most of the part (Except I-824 filing).

For Question#2

I assume you are from India. If so, you can still register your marriage today showing the photos taken on your marriage day . You will still get the marriage date as the one before. Infact one of my friend did the same and was successful in FTJ. You can check with the local consulate on this. I am not sure whether the local consulate will give importance to the marriage registered date. In my friend's case both fell before his Green card approval and hence there were no room for any question.

Hope this answer helps you.

Regards
GCARD!!!!

Thanks a ton

:D :) :D

You boosted my moral man. Thanks a ton.

I read all postings of this thread carefully and I understood the process. I got clear idea how it works. I need to gather all supporting documents and apply for I824. Your support has given me thrust to do it myself and save thousands of dollars. Your guess is right. I am from India and I will call my spouse now to get marriage certificate.

I may need your help in future, do you mind if I send a private message to you?

Greatly appreciated your help.

Time frame...

GCCard,

Since you are a subject matter expert in this, can you please help me.

I applied for my spouse's 824, got the reciept notice from VSC, sent the information to Delhi consulate (July14th)..all the DS form, affidavit of support, w2s, copy of GC approval etc (I believe they call it Packet 3).

- Just wanted to find out, when would it be reasonable to expect an interview.

- Also, do I need anything to do in the meantime or just wait for the consulate to contact my spouse in India.

- What is a packet 4?

- How can I find out if the conulate has recieved the package and created a case number for me? And would that case number be like NWD2003....., if that is the case then can I track the progress by calling the consulate.

Please help!!!! Thanks man!!!

Form OF 230 Part I

Can anybody please help me with Form OF 230 -Part I (Biographic Data) for packet3. I got my GC and doing follow-to-join for my wife. My question is, do i need to fill this form for myself also, or its just for my wife ?
Also, the instruction in the form, just asking to send the form alone, but not the documnets, to the consulate for scheduling the interview. So no need to send any documnets with packet 3 ? just wanted to confirm.
Thanks for your help...

Summary and questions...

Let me see if I am getting everything straight from this thread:

My I-130 is approved as of September 11th, 2001 (creepy!)
My priority date is May 30th, 2000.
My prority is F1 (son of US Citizen > 21 years old)

Questions:

1) Once my priority date is reached (in the visa bulletin), I can send the I-485 with all the required documents, right? Or is it better to file the I-485 right now? (I'm on H1B and it expires May 2004)
2) I should get a notice of receipt of I-485. Once I get that, it's time to get married and file the I-824, in order for my wife to be elegible for FTJ, right?
3) Otherwise if I don't file the I-824, and my I-485 is approved, I would have to file a I-130 for my wife, and then wait around 5 years for her GC to be approved, right?

You guys are the best. Thanks a LOT for your help. I promise to keep progress of my case posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.