Financial aid to asylees/New request

Sceak

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm currently in Canada and would like to seek political asylum in the United States, however it's doubtful that they're going to let me save a lot of money here.

I can make it to the border, but once there I'll have little to no money for food and shelter. There's also a 150 days delay after approval to get a green card.

So I need to know whether I can make it there safely and know I won't be on the street waiting for approval or something. I'd like an overview of the process, like what's going to happen at the port of entry.

Are you Canada's answer to Randy Quaid???????????

I understand it's probably unusual, but this is how it is and this is how it's going to be.

Are you able to enlighten me about the process or if I would have access to some kind of financial assistance during my resettlement?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand it's probably unusual, but this is how it is and this is how it's going to be.

Are you able to enlighten me about the process or if I would have access to some kind of financial assistance during my resettlement?

Visit the website www.uscis.gov and read all about it. IF a person is granted asylum status, they can get work authorization and do qualify for certain public assistance. An applicant for asylum must wait 150 days to aply for work authorization. The 150 day clock starts when an application is properly filed and can stop for a variety of reasons. If USCIS issues a request for evidence because you did not provide sufficient evidence, the clock will stop on the 150 days. If you miss an appointment the clock will stop. If you request a postponement the clock will stop.

It might not get that far in the first place. Upon arrival if you make a request for asylum, you get a credible fear interview and if unconvincing you would be sent back.

Upon arrival, when you make an asylum request you may be placed in detention immediately. That would be the immediate help you get in terms of food, housing and medical assistance.

If not detained or sent back, you are on your own and at the mercy of the charitable organizations or relatives/friends in the U.S. for help. Once a valid 150 days have passed after properly filing an application, then you may file an application for work authorization. If in the interim, the application is denied, the work authorization will be denied. If the application is approved then the work authorization will be denied becauase the application will have been filed under the wrong category. In that case the approval notice/stamp is sufficient proof of status to work or apply for aid.

If an application for asylum remains pending after you file the application for work authorization, an EAD (employment authorization document) cannot be approved and issued until 180 days have been reached on the official clock. Then you can look for a job.

The big question remains: What POSSIBLE claim could you make for asylum from CANADA?????? How is Canada persecuting you on the basis of a protected ground????

That's what I wanted to confirm.

On what grounds could I be placed in detention?

If a cfredible fear interview results in inconclusive results and you will need to see an Immigration Judge, they may put you up at Chez ICE.

ur asylum case in usa from canada is a guaranteed denial and u will regret playing game with US asylum system

ur asylum case in usa from canada is a guaranteed denial and u will regret playing game with US asylum system

Sceak,
We don't know the full story of your case Sceak and no body here can make a judgement here. Get help from a knowledgeable lawyer and don't let this kind of people break your hope.

I know British citizens got asylum in USA, it really depends on your circumstances, specially if your life is endangered in Canada

If a cfredible fear interview results in inconclusive results and you will need to see an Immigration Judge, they may put you up at Chez ICE.

No need for Credible Interview or seeing IJ if he applies from within the U.S. It would be decided by an asylum officer as an affirmative asylum.

And yes people from Canada do get asylum and so do people from Europe. It all depends on personal fear and circumstances.

Sceak,

You have not indicated even on what legal ground you would apply. You don't have to give details. What part of the definition of "refugee" would apply to the case?

INA 101(a) [8 USC 1101(a)]

(42) The term ``refugee'' means (A) any person who is outside any
country of such person's nationality or, in the case of a person having
no nationality, is outside any country in which such person last
habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to return to, and is
unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of,
that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of
persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a
particular social group, or political opinion,
or (B) in such special
circumstances as the President after appropriate consultation (as
defined in section 1157(e) of this title) may specify, any person who is
within the country of such person's nationality or, in the case of a
person having no nationality, within the country in which such person is
habitually residing, and who is persecuted or who has a well-founded
fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality,
membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. The term
``refugee'' does not include any person who ordered, incited, assisted,
or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of
race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or
political opinion. For purposes of determinations under this chapter, a
person who has been forced to abort a pregnancy or to undergo
involuntary sterilization, or who has been persecuted for failure or
refusal to undergo such a procedure or for other resistance to a
coercive population control program, shall be deemed to have been
persecuted on account of political opinion, and a person who has a well
founded fear that he or she will be forced to undergo such a procedure
or subject to persecution for such failure, refusal, or resistance shall
be deemed to have a well founded fear of persecution on account of
political opinion.

Now I have to retype all of this again...

A few years ago it was found that I could swim pretty fast. I was 'led' to train to meet national swim standards in light of the 2012 olympics.

During the course of this I had to undergo a reliability check to see if I was able to represent Canada internationally. I was presented with various situations, asked to discuss various topics and to take a stand on certain issues. I failed with flying colors and it was found that the only Canadian thing about me was my I.D.

This was done publicly and the people of Canada are fully aware of my allegiance to the United States. I am consistently being poisoned, drugged, manipulated, spied on, a lot of tampering going on.

This is also added to some odd "coincidences" going a few years back. I see some guy at a park downtown, then I move in shared accommodations with him a month or two later. He made cameo appearances throughout my life since then and in July 2009 he was on the Speedo Canada website. I didn't get his name but the caption read something about "team" and "national".

While I'm not 100% certain that boy could very well be some kid who used to live close to me when I was a kid. One day he and his cousin played with live ammunition and got injured. Somehow this got blamed on me and I think Canada, in its infinite wisdom, sought revenge for its athlete.

So after years of what could be persecution due to their rising star I was suddenly the direct descendent of their first prime minister (last name coincidence), their precious scholar and internationally acclaimed athlete.

That's a whole load of crap. Now I don't mind being around here a while longer to gather money for about 9 months to a year of living expenses, or until it's obvious that they won't let me save up money, but one thing that will not happen is me crossing the border with a Canadian passport. A few years ago before the passport thing I tried to leave but they already had my car and I had to spend a good part of my money.

I have my brother there but I really can't ask him to pay for all my shit for a whole year. I love him and everything but I really can't ask that of him. This lack of financial aid IS an inconvenient to me right now, but it's the American way and I still entirely agree with that policy. Canada is... a borderline communist country and I can see it being a failure on a daily basis. I really don't want my country to end up in ruin like theirs.

If anyone knows of a resource I'll gladly take it and leave right now, otherwise I'm going to have to try and find another way. On a daily basis they try to assimilate me, hell I even think they got me hit by a car just to show me their grand hospital system. Might make it, might not. In the grand scheme of things that's the way it works...

It's been rough holidays, I hope things get better in the upcoming year.

I just really can't see myself making it out right now and I'm afraid this is going to end up in a blood bath. Canada is not the place for me, I'm not getting any younger and I'd really like to have a family.

Oh yeah, Canada also tries to convince me that I'm homosexual. What a joke man.

Anyway, maybe in the summer being homeless won't sound so bad. Beach bum, anyone? But yeah seriously If there's any resource I'd like to know, otherwise I'm just gonna have to make a run for it before things get out of hand.

I sincerely doubt I'm going to get any Canadian cooperation in this affair. I was making a business last year but it all flunked cause I was being spied on and sabotaged. Canada doesn't have a military-industrial complex either so the commies don't like it when I work behind a firewall and such.

Anyway, thanks for any idea. Wish me luck.

Peace.

Oh OK...

So after requesting asylum and it is approved I can request an employment authorization. 150 days is the maximum delay after which I can request one.

That changes a lot of things...

You may apply for employment authorization if:

No decision has been made on your application AND 150 days have passed since you filed your complete asylum application, excluding any delays caused by you (such as a request to reschedule your interview)

If you are granted asylum you may work immediately. Some asylees choose to obtain Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) for convenience or identification purposes, but an EAD is not necessary to work if you are an asylee.

The paragraph is easier to read this way. Well I guess I just gotta dive then...