Fed up with immigration!

jstatus330

Registered Users (C)
I'm about fed up with U.S. Immigration so I'm writing you. I'm in the U.S. Army and before I joined I got a lawyer and have been going through the process of getting my wife established as a permanent resident. We've paid thousands of dollars to the lawyer and the U.S. Immigration for their services (basically it's just paperwork that costs a ton of money to do, what they actually do with all this money I have no clue).

For starters, after all of the paperwork was submitted and everything was done, Immigration denied my wife's residency because she didn't get a Gardasil shot from the Dr. The Gardasil shot was not something that anyone had told us is now required by Immigration, although she got several other shots as required. The lawyer helped us reopen the case, which cost us more money, over $500 to Immigration and another $500 to the lawyer. At this time I was in the U.S. Army and my wife was in Mexico until my training was complete (imagine hearing it get denied while you can't really do anything about it cause your in training and your wife has to send money from Mexico to the U.S. to try and resolve the issue). In November I received a letter from Immigration that stated my wife has now been approved as a permanent resident and would receive the permanent resident card (green card) within 3 weeks. I let it go for 6 weeks, with no word from Immigration or the lawyer.

After contacting the lawyer she was surprised to hear we haven't received the card yet. She contacted Immigration and they claimed they sent us the card but it came back returned. The lawyer questioned this since we received all other documents that Immigration has ever sent us. Immigration stated on January 8th they would sent a new card out to the exact same address on file. As of today we have not yet received the card. Upon contacting the lawyer she explained to us that even though they said they would send us a new card out on January 8th, they didn't get around to it until January 23rd. The lawyer contacted Immigration to question why this is taking so long. Their response was that they have 30 days to get us the card from the day they send it, which would be February 23rd.

So I guess we just do things when we want to now instead of doing our job? We paid for their services all throughout last year, even extra money for their screw ups and have yet to receive what we paid for. What sickens me the most is that these Immigration workers hide behind a lack of communication between them and the customer. If you visit their website you cannot find a direct phone number to talk to them. They give you a 1-800 number which when you call is nothing more than pre-recorded garbage that pisses you off after going through menu after menu. Even if you search for your local office (mine is in Cleveland) all you get access to is an address, no phone number to be found. Pretty shady right? Then the only email address that you can find on the website is one for the webmaster, which I'm sure people email that address complaining anyways since there is no other way to contact them directly.

Bottom line, they are a Government run operation filled with people who have fat paychecks yet can't do their job even after the customer has paid them in full. I'm tired of hearing their lies and excuses on why we never got the card, and there's no way to reach these clowns. I called my lawyer but all they said is wait until February 23rd, and if we don't get it by then she will contact them again to get them to send the card out a third time. There's no excuse for this though, and I find it pretty pathetic. Anyways that's my rant and if anyone has a direct number or some sort of way to run this thing up the chain I'd greatly appreciate it.

*UPDATED* Today was the day we were supposed to receive my wife's permanent residency card and we did not. I found 2 phone numbers online which are supposed to be numbers to the Cleveland office for immigration, none of which work, go figure. They must screw up so bad they consistently change their number so people can't call to make sure they are doing their job. At this point these people owe me a huge apology, if not all my money back. I've written to consumerist.com and reported them to the BBB.

HOW DO I CONTACT THESE PEOPLE? I CAN'T WAIT TO GO OFF HARDCORE ON THEIR...YOU KNOW WHAT!

I absolutely agree with you. there are lot of sympathisers on thei forum but thats of no use to you. you need to send a letter to secretary homeland security . just write all what you wrote here. Evenif that may or may not help you, that should improve. thats the right thing to do.

one of the common thing is human psychology is to tolerate everything. By doing that you dont resolve anything. whenever you see it unfair, you need to escalate the issue with the hope that some god fearing person will give a hand to you. always there will be somebody who will read your information. And you will be able to achieve things that your lawyer couldnt achieve.
you being in the army, is a major advantage to you.they will surely read your story.
you could even write at secretary's blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about fed up with U.S. Immigration so I'm writing you. I'm in the U.S. Army

You're in the US Army and you're surprised that large bureaucratic organizations can be inefficient and stupid? :)

The US Army - we waste more time by 9am than civilians waste in a day!

Sorry you are having a hard time with immigration,, yes they suck! The reason is we ALL have to go through them for our issues its not like they have competition ( Like a store if they treat you wrong then you shop somewhere else ) so they CAN and Will take their time,, mess up,, be rude,, NOT care,, etc etc etc... and WE STILL have to go to them!!

It is sad because like you said tons of money is spent and results vary from person to person anywhere from fair service to extremly LOUSY service :-(

1) Have you spoken to an IO on the military line (1-877-247-4645) using the steps listed on this forum?

2) Have you scheduled Infopass with your local DO and requested to speak with a supervisor?

3) Have you thought about firing your lawyer if you're not happy with them?

4) Have you contacted the USCIS Ombudsman regarding the issues you have faced?

Does JAG (Judge Advocate General's Corps) provide free consulting and service for aliens serving in the US military regarding immigration matters?

I have no clue if the military can do anything about this. Like I said, everything is paid for. I'm sitting here empty handed, waiting for my wife's card. They have gotten everything they have asked for and more. There is nothing else for me to do on my end. I'm just waiting for the card to come in the mail, nothing more.

I'm just not understanding this. They have my address. They have sent my lawyer and me mail several times. Where is the card? Why are the telling us we will get the card at such and such time but we don't? I simply want the number to the Cleveland office so I can talk to who's in charge there, explain the situation, ask for compensation, explain they have been reported to the BBB and I've written to consumerist.com, and that I want the documents overnight shipped to the address on file.

Where is the Secretary's blog located? I'd love to post this on that blog and write them as well so get this issue more noticed.

yeah.. USCIS suck.. Sorry.. but most public services suck (DMV, State/Local government, etc.)

but complaining to consumerist.com and BBB will do nothing. Is not like there is another option to get Green Card/US Citizenship. There is one and only option. It's like.. take it or leave it.

Yeah, BBB or consumerist.com aren't even gonna bother with this. It's not a private company, it's a government agency and the rules are different with government agencies.

No question that you have had a rough time and by the way thank you for your service to the country. However I think you need to be angry at the right people.

1. The Civil Surgeon who did your wifes I-693 medical. They must be approved by USCIS and they should know what vacinations should have been provided.

2. Your lawyer for not being very good. A good immigration lawyer would know good doctors, and how to handle go slows in the process.

3. USCIS for giving you the run around.

If you wife has been approved she should be able to get an i-551 stamp in her passport, which is good for a year if I recall. That for all intents and purposes is as good as a green card, eventually they will sort out the mess.

You should talk to the immigration person in one of your state senators office, they will be able to go through the congressional liason at USCIS and maybe find out more information.

Calling your local USCIS office will not help. Your case would be handled by one fo the service centers. Getting mad and venting will not help (and may hurt), this process will work itself out with your help, but this will happen in its own time. Your wife is close to the end of the process, so stay the course.

I'm about fed up with U.S. Immigration so I'm writing you. I'm in the U.S. Army and before I joined I got a lawyer and have been going through the process of getting my wife established as a permanent resident. We've paid thousands of dollars to the lawyer and the U.S. Immigration for their services (basically it's just paperwork that costs a ton of money to do, what they actually do with all this money I have no clue).

For starters, after all of the paperwork was submitted and everything was done, Immigration denied my wife's residency because she didn't get a Gardasil shot from the Dr. The Gardasil shot was not something that anyone had told us is now required by Immigration, although she got several other shots as required. The lawyer helped us reopen the case, which cost us more money, over $500 to Immigration and another $500 to the lawyer. At this time I was in the U.S. Army and my wife was in Mexico until my training was complete (imagine hearing it get denied while you can't really do anything about it cause your in training and your wife has to send money from Mexico to the U.S. to try and resolve the issue). In November I received a letter from Immigration that stated my wife has now been approved as a permanent resident and would receive the permanent resident card (green card) within 3 weeks. I let it go for 6 weeks, with no word from Immigration or the lawyer.

After contacting the lawyer she was surprised to hear we haven't received the card yet. She contacted Immigration and they claimed they sent us the card but it came back returned. The lawyer questioned this since we received all other documents that Immigration has ever sent us. Immigration stated on January 8th they would sent a new card out to the exact same address on file. As of today we have not yet received the card. Upon contacting the lawyer she explained to us that even though they said they would send us a new card out on January 8th, they didn't get around to it until January 23rd. The lawyer contacted Immigration to question why this is taking so long. Their response was that they have 30 days to get us the card from the day they send it, which would be February 23rd.

So I guess we just do things when we want to now instead of doing our job? We paid for their services all throughout last year, even extra money for their screw ups and have yet to receive what we paid for. What sickens me the most is that these Immigration workers hide behind a lack of communication between them and the customer. If you visit their website you cannot find a direct phone number to talk to them. They give you a 1-800 number which when you call is nothing more than pre-recorded garbage that pisses you off after going through menu after menu. Even if you search for your local office (mine is in Cleveland) all you get access to is an address, no phone number to be found. Pretty shady right? Then the only email address that you can find on the website is one for the webmaster, which I'm sure people email that address complaining anyways since there is no other way to contact them directly.

Bottom line, they are a Government run operation filled with people who have fat paychecks yet can't do their job even after the customer has paid them in full. I'm tired of hearing their lies and excuses on why we never got the card, and there's no way to reach these clowns. I called my lawyer but all they said is wait until February 23rd, and if we don't get it by then she will contact them again to get them to send the card out a third time. There's no excuse for this though, and I find it pretty pathetic. Anyways that's my rant and if anyone has a direct number or some sort of way to run this thing up the chain I'd greatly appreciate it.

*UPDATED* Today was the day we were supposed to receive my wife's permanent residency card and we did not. I found 2 phone numbers online which are supposed to be numbers to the Cleveland office for immigration, none of which work, go figure. They must screw up so bad they consistently change their number so people can't call to make sure they are doing their job. At this point these people owe me a huge apology, if not all my money back. I've written to consumerist.com and reported them to the BBB.

HOW DO I CONTACT THESE PEOPLE? I CAN'T WAIT TO GO OFF HARDCORE ON THEIR...YOU KNOW WHAT!

Toll-Free Number:1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645)
Hours of Service: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. CST (excluding federal holidays)
After Hours: After-hours callers will receive an email address (militaryinfo.nsc@dhs.gov) to contact USCIS for assistance.
Special Instructions: Identify yourself as a member of the Armed Forces or a family member to expedite your call.

yeah.. USCIS suck.. Sorry.. but most public services suck (DMV, State/Local government, etc.)

but complaining to consumerist.com and BBB will do nothing. Is not like there is another option to get Green Card/US Citizenship. There is one and only option. It's like.. take it or leave it.

In fact..every gov bureau in every country is the same because they think they have the power. It's not the organization structure, it's the people that works there. It' like, they have the gov job, but u don't and you need to do whatever they tell you to do. this just sucks. but what can we do about it? nothing.

It's one thing to nag and complain about a service, it's another to contact the right people to rectify it.
I've noticed that most of the people who complain about the lack of service are the ones who either don't do anything about it or focus their energy on contacting the wrong people.
You can argue all day about what you think about government employees or the USCIS process, but in the end only action in the right direction will have the desired effect.

Is your wife inside or outside the US now? Does she have the temporary green card stamp in her passport yet? If not, that's the first thing that needs to be done. A missing card takes 3-6 months to be reprinted and sent, so she would need that stamp to use while she waits.

Is your wife inside or outside the US now? Does she have the temporary green card stamp in her passport yet? If not, that's the first thing that needs to be done. A missing card takes 3-6 months to be reprinted and sent, so she would need that stamp to use while she waits.

She is in the U.S. She has been approved for permanent residency status but has not stamp on her passport. I finally got a hold of someone at USCIS on the phone and had about a half hour conversation with some lady. I explained everything and she told me she does see where my lawyer did call yesterday to tell them we have still not gotten the green card and they now have until March 25th to send us a new one. I was calm but explained I am extremely angered at how this thing has played out. I said I understand with no competition and such they can do as they please, but this is ridiculous. I told her I do deserve compensation but don't really expect it. She said no, it's a Gov agency so no compensation.

Basically she told me to write this office in DC or fax them. I'm gonna do that plus a few other things. One way or another I'm gonna get this issue brought to the higher ups attention. This is truly, truly unprofessional, and they are messing with my money IMO. You don't pay thousands of dollars and then get nothing out of it.

My Mom just brought up a great point. People try to come into this country legally and they get screwed. No wonder why people say F it and just cross the border. Why pay thousands of dollars to become a permanent resident when stuff like this happens? My Mom even called the local post office to see if there was an issue on their end by chance (even though my wife still receives mail at that address). The PO said there is no problem on their end, and if she's been getting mail this whole time there is no reason why it would have gotten sent back to immigration. So basically it seems as if immigration is lying about it getting sent back to them.

I don't think they are lying, but rather they have such a bureaucratic department that many times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and vice versa.

She is in the U.S. She has been approved for permanent residency status but has not stamp on her passport. I finally got a hold of someone at USCIS on the phone and had about a half hour conversation with some lady. I explained everything and she told me she does see where my lawyer did call yesterday to tell them we have still not gotten the green card and they now have until March 25th to send us a new one.
It is not going to arrive by March 25. Your wife needs to make an Infopass appointment and carry her passport and any other relevant immigration paperwork (like the approval letter) so she can get her passport stamped, because it will take months before they print another card. And form I-90 needs to be filed to officially initiate the card request, otherwise USCIS will just sit on their butts for another year and still there is no card.