FBI Name Check

I765, I131

Hi GK6,

As support documentation for the I-765 I sent:
I-765 confirmation receipt (printed from my computer), Copy of I-797C (receipt for I-485), Copy of I-94, copy of prior EAD, copy of job appointment letter (just for kicks, that's not strictly necessary) and two photos.

For I-131 I sent:
I-131 confirmation receipt (printed from computer), copy of driver's license (ID), Copy of documents proving my legal status since I came to US, copy of I-485 receipt, Copy of I-94, two photos.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the passport style photos are necessary, for both the EAD and the AP. In fact they used the pictures I sent for each document. My advice, don't take any chances and just send the pictures.

Hi JMG1010,

I noticed that you filed your I-131 and I-765 electronically and then sent some documents by mail. Would you please let me know what supporting documents you sent by mail?
When filing I-765 electronically, instructions state that you don't need to send photos...so I am wondering if you sent a copy of govt. issued ID for I-765?
Similarly what documents did you send for I-131?

Thanks,
gk6

i used to be in the same boat ....
I've spent lost of my time to go from forums to forums to look at people' timeline and tried to estimate my own timeline.

In general (under normal condition), you should have your GC among 9-10 months.

Yes, this time does change depending on DOs
Yes, this time does change depending on names
Yes, this time does change depending on... unnamed factors

You've seen people got GC after 2,3 months. Yes. You've seen people got GC after years. Yes. But if your case doesn't have anything special, the 9-10 months is the most common timeline I've seen.

Hope it helps and wish you guys all the best !!!

Second FP

I have been stuck in name check for about two years now and recently I got a second finger printing (for I-485) notice. Is this a good sign?

Huumm,
Thanks for the info. Did you do any thing to expedite your process after name check pending.

Thanks!

Thanks JMG1010 for your quick response....I will send these supporting documents out as soon as possible.

Thanks huumm...it is certainly encouraging to hear the 9-10 month statistic!

Best,
gk6

Hiram

I have been stuck in name check for about two years now and recently I got a second finger printing (for I-485) notice. Is this a good sign?

same thing happened to me... I had to go do my fnger prints againt after 2 years last week.. i got to the USCIS and was shocked to see the building was closed for maintenance.. now i have to reschedule.. would u please let us know if u get your green card soon>?

Thanks JMG1010 for your quick response....I will send these supporting documents out as soon as possible.

Best,
gk6

I have been waiting for 24 months now !

my timeline

-Filed I-485 in Oct 2005 in New Jersey
-FP Dec 2005
-1st EAD Jan 2006
-Interview for GC April 2006 - name check pending since Oct 2005!!!!
-2nd EAD received Jan 2007
-sent letters to 1st lady, senators, congressmen, received letter from FBI that name check is still pending
-Filed a WOM law suit April 2007
-2 extensions by AUSA
-AUSA filed MTD in Aug 2007
-Opposition to MTD Aug 2007
-Submitted application for 3rd EAD in Aug 2007 and finger prints taken same month
-Order from judge dismissing the law suit (NJ) for lack of jurisdiction Sept 2007
-Received a letter to re-do finger prints for I-485 in Oct 2007
- went to do finger prints for Green card found that the building was closed for maintenance. sent a letter requesting to reschedule

Waiting

My time line:
Applied - August 2005
EAD - Oct 2005
Interview - April 2005, Pending Name Check
Second EAD - Oct 2006
Third EAD - Oct 2007
Second FP notice for I-485 - Oct 2007

Is this a good sign for second FP?

Huumm,
Thanks for the info. Did you do any thing to expedite your process after name check pending.

Best,
gk6

My advice to those that still < 10 months, dont worry too much and dont feel your life is miserable. Yet, dont just wait and do nothing. During that time span, do all the work that people suggest in this forum.
_ Infopass
_ Contact local Congressman/Senator
_ First Lady
_ FBI

Just get ready. At least, if your case has any error, you find it as soon as possible, or the worst case, u're ready for the lawsuit.

For myself, after found out about my name check pending, I just did InfoPass every 3 weeks (people @ my DO remember my face). I didn't do anything else special to expedite my process. And i did apply for EAD for work and AP for traveling.

Hope it helps.

Huumm,
Thanks for all your support.

Franticsky,
Best of luck... Hope some good news come from the infopass.

Some Info about name check

See attached document which is part of FBI declaration filed in a civil case.

Well, today was 100-th day since our interview and 11th month since I submitted my marriage-based AOS (I-485) together with my EAD (I-765)... I thought it warranted an Info PASS.

Yes, I know, I am escalating things way too early... but the money is tight and the prospective employers are not just to happy to accept me with a funny card expiring in 4 months.

Outcome: the Infopass meeting lasted all of 3 minutes 40 seconds (I had a concealed stopwatch on me); the lady in the cubicle spend most of that time checking her PC for the info, that is is avlable to me anyway (Thnak youn USCIS for that little).
---- She has nothing to say at all
----"You know , its FB, not us"
----"No, there is nothing we can do - all is done by FBI.
----"No, we will not accept your EAD renewal" - I have sent it two blocks away by registered mail.

FYI: ::LUDs are a joke, I still keep re receiving them (from robots on Saturdays or Sunfqay

IMP bill on namecheck introduced in HOUSE!

I apologize for the cross post but this is an important development that everyone stuck in namecheck must be aware of.

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.
This is different from the bill that was passed in Senate recently.

The important thing for all of us:
WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK HIM/HER TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Unless you write, this bill is not going to pass - please do so immediately.
You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Please post this message in all immigration groups you are member of.

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf
or
http://tinyurl.com/yppezu

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(b) Elements of Plan- The plan shall include the following elements:

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(2) the name check fee shall be fully refunded.

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today was 100-th day since our interview and 11th month since I submitted my marriage-based AOS (I-485) together with my EAD (I-765)... I thought it warranted an Info PASS.

Yes, I know, I am escalating things way too early... but the money is tight and the prospective employers are not just to happy to accept me with a funny card expiring in 4 months.

Outcome: the Infopass meeting lasted all of 3 minutes 40 seconds (I had a concealed stopwatch on me); the lady in the cubicle spend most of that time checking her PC for the info, that is is avlable to me anyway (Thnak youn USCIS for that little).
---- She has nothing to say at all
----"You know , its FB, not us"
----"No, there is nothing we can do - all is done by FBI.
----"No, we will not accept your EAD renewal" - I have sent it two blocks away by registered mail.

FYI: ::LUDs are a joke, I still keep re receiving them (from robots on Saturdays or Sunfqay

I agree with Rambela , LUD's are a joke , I have my AP approval and I have am LUD whci says still pending

Nothing here Frantic Sky. We are so discouraged. We don't know when his name check went in though. Either way, its taking more than the norm which is a couple of days. Seems like those are getting few and few. The longer it goes the more I lose hope that we will get the green card any time soon.

For some reason in my mind it seems like if you go past the 6 month mark, you could be in for YEARS. The FBI should be ashamed of themselves. How embarressing is this? My husband is so mad because its going to cost hundreds of dollars to keep everything current.. He thinks its a way for them to make money... meanwhile, the rest of us are losing sleep.

I'm not even going to write to the congressman and all that as it does nothing. :rolleyes:

I told him if we don't get his GC in a couple of years, I'm going to declare myself a non paying tax citzen and we move to France. Frankly, I am fed up! :mad: