FBI Name Check

Hey birdlove,

I did call in for an inquiry, but have got the standard reply that my name is still stuck in the background check. Will be notified when the NC is complete.:confused: :( :confused: :mad:

hoping to hear from them soon. I have to go for my EAD FP tomorrow.

I wanted to see if anybody who had applied for AOS in 2005 and was stuck in NC / background check (for more than 90 days) have started receiving notices for 2nd FP or notice of greencard approval. I am wondering if they are clearing the stuck NC in order of them being received by FBI?

AOS Dec 2004

Hi Ncgc,

I applied for AOS in Dec 2004. I have been stuck in background checks since then. I received my 2nd FP notice this month.

ncgc2006,

I don't suggest that one case is reflective of the trend, but...

My wife (a former H1B from S America) and I applied in June 2004, and were interviewed and approved pending namecheck in Aug 2005. We remain stuck in namecheck.

LB

Noar,

Good to hear that you received 2nd FP notice. Can you post your timelines? Is your I-130 approved?

Hi ncgc2006,

Here is my timeline:

Country of origin: the beautiful land of freedom fries!
Jan 31st 2006 notification that USCIS received I-485
Feb 2006 Approved I-130
March 5th 2006 First FP
March 27th 2006 Successful interview in Buffalo, NY
June 2007 Change of Address, now depends on the North Carolina DO in Charlotte
July ~20th 2007 Notification of 2nd FP scheduled for early August

Honestly, I'm optimistic and I'd like to believe that Birdlove is right but I am not entirely convinced that things go as smoothly for everyone after the second FP. The link between 2nd set of FP and the end of name check is far from obvious to me. What I know for sure is that the 2nd FP is a mandatory procedure required every 15 months no matter whether name check is pending or resolved.

It could be that the 2nd FP triggers a new name check request which successfully takes precedence over the first one but that's pure speculation. Why would the system stutter on my name during the first request and not the second time? Will the algorithm be more indulgent during the second pass?

Here is what the Fingerprint notification says. You'll notice that it must be a generic letter since it talks about an interview which I already had :

Dear I-485 applicant:

The service must have a current set of fingerprints to continue processing your I-485 application. Fingerprint results are good for 15 months. Your fingerprints must be taken again either because (1)your previous clearance expired or (2) your last set of fingerprints were unclassifiable, or (3) there is no record of any FP processing. A new set of prints must be forwarded to the FBI for a criminal history before you can be scheduled for interview ??? I already had the interview 15 months ago ???. If you fail to respond for fingerprint scheduling, your application may be considered abandoned and denied.

Btw, I didn't mention this in my timeline but I got fingerprinted in March 2007 for the EAD application which I received within 70 days. The point is: finger prints are tied to one particular application. Having had finger prints 4 months ago for the EAD doesn't make me exempt of another fingerprinting session for the I-485. So in the end I qualify for a 5 hours round trip to Charlotte :)

Noar

Last edited by a moderator:
ncgc2006,

I don't suggest that one case is reflective of the trend, but...

My wife (a former H1B from S America) and I applied in June 2004, and were interviewed and approved pending namecheck in Aug 2005. We remain stuck in namecheck.

LB

I applied in aug 2005 interviewed in oct 2005 and stuck in name check still. Married to US citizen

NC cleared

Hi ncgc2006,

Here is my timeline:

Country of origin: the beautiful land of freedom fries!
Jan 31st 2006 notification that USCIS received I-485
Feb 2006 Approved I-130
March 5th 2006 First FP
March 27th 2006 Successful interview in Buffalo, NY
June 2007 Change of Address, now depends on the North Carolina DO in Charlotte
July ~20th 2007 Notification of 2nd FP scheduled for early August

Honestly, I'm optimistic and I'd like to believe that Birdlove is right but I am not entirely convinced that things go as smoothly for everyone after the second FP. The link between 2nd set of FP and the end of name check is far from obvious to me. What I know for sure is that the 2nd FP is a mandatory procedure required every 15 months no matter whether name check is pending or resolved.

It could be that the 2nd FP triggers a new name check request which successfully takes precedence over the first one but that's pure speculation. Why would the system stutter on my name during the first request and not the second time? Will the algorithm be more indulgent during the second pass?

Here is what the Fingerprint notification says. You'll notice that it must be a generic letter since it talks about an interview which I already had :

Dear I-485 applicant:

The service must have a current set of fingerprints to continue processing your I-485 application. Fingerprint results are good for 15 months. Your fingerprints must be taken again either because (1)your previous clearance expired or (2) your last set of fingerprints were unclassifiable, or (3) there is no record of any FP processing. A new set of prints must be forwarded to the FBI for a criminal history before you can be scheduled for interview ??? I already had the interview 15 months ago ???. If you fail to respond for fingerprint scheduling, your application may be considered abandoned and denied.

Btw, I didn't mention this in my timeline but I got fingerprinted in March 2007 for the EAD application which I received within 70 days. The point is: finger prints are tied to one particular application. Having had finger prints 4 months ago for the EAD doesn't make me exempt of another fingerprinting session for the I-485. So in the end I qualify for a 5 hours round trip to Charlotte :)

Noar

Guys, Notice of 2nd FP mean ur case is ready to be processed, and also mean ur name check is cleared ! So just be patient and take it as a good side.
U all will be approved

Remember that I am not a lawyer

Birdlove,
Apparently it took 2 months between your second FP and your notice of welcome, so I'm hoping to receive something toward the end of September. May your words be fulfilled ;) thx -

noar

Name and Birth checks cleared???

Guys,

Just to add to this conversation: I called VSC one day, using POJ method, and the lady told me that my name and birthdate checks came in on May 12th. But I have not been able to confirm the same nor do I have an official notification of the same. But I got a FP notice for July 5th.
My later calls using POJ methods were an excersise in futility as the lady bluntly refused to answer any questions.

My online status says: FP Review complete and my recent FP was sent back to USCIS on 7/7/7 (latest LUD).

My time line:
Dec 2004 - I485 applied
Jan 2005- I130 applied
1st FP - June 2005
Aug 2005 - I130 approved pending NC
2nd FP - July 2007

Birdlove,
Apparently it took 2 months between your second FP and your notice of welcome, so I'm hoping to receive something toward the end of September. May your words be fulfilled ;) thx -

noar

yes Noar, less than 2 month koz I went to ASC for 2nd FP in June 8th and in July 16th I sent an inquiry to DO and NBC just to remind them about my case in the case they forgot it ! and later in July 17th I have update on my I-131 and I-485. and I receive my welcome notice in July 23rd.

After ur second FP just give one month to FBI to process ur FP and send back to USCIS.

Good luck

I-485 updated

Folks,
There has been no activity on my application since March 29th 07, we had our AOS interview on April 12th and everything was OK except for the name check. Seems like this morning, someone at USCIS did something to my I-485 application bcoz the LUD has changed. Any thoughts on if this is sign of progress or just a periodic check from the Dist. Office guys?

I have a similar question too, I had another LUD on my I-485 today, any opinions. Does this indicate that I'm very close to the I-485 approval and GC.

Thanks

Infopass- NC

Hey guys,

Went to Charlotte for infopass. Was told the same thing that my name is still stuck in NC. IO told me that they have stopped resubmitting the names for NC if they have been stuck on extended period of time. Essentially she told me that I have to just sit n wait for the NC to be cleared.

Does anyone know if this true about resubmitting names for NC?

Once NC is done, one should be receiving 2nd FP notice as the case will be moving forward after NC is cleared. So congragulations to all those who have received 2nd FP notices, since it means that NC is cleared for those people.

I went to an info pass appointment and the officer told that my name is cleared, and I will hear from my officer ( the one that did the interview) soon. It has already been 2 weeks and I have not received anything. What should I do now??? My interview was 90 days ago.

I went to an info pass appointment and the officer told that my name is cleared, and I will hear from my officer ( the one that did the interview) soon. It has already been 2 weeks and I have not received anything. What should I do now??? My interview was 90 days ago.

Southamerica, give then 60 days and then send an inquiry to ur DO. Koz after an infopass, u should give 60 day to them before any other actions

Seems like more people got LUDs on 485 stuck in name checks on 7/27/07. I am one of them. Don't really know whats going on.

Background Check after interviewed for GC

Hi everybody,

I applied for GC on 04/30/2006. ( B2 visa and married with UCS). Interviewed on 11/27/2006 but haven't given GC because the officer told that my case had to have a background check. Waiting since that day, I also make an infopass and ask them about my status on 06/09/2007, they told me to fill out the G-14 and waiting for INS mailing. But until now, I haven't got any news from INS, What should I have to do next? Would anybody help me? Thank you.

Hi everybody,

I applied for GC on 04/30/2006. ( B2 visa and married with UCS). Interviewed on 11/27/2006 but haven't given GC because the officer told that my case had to have a background check. Waiting since that day, I also make an infopass and ask them about my status on 06/09/2007, they told me to fill out the G-14 and waiting for INS mailing. But until now, I haven't got any news from INS, What should I have to do next? Would anybody help me? Thank you.

P.s: I have renewed my EAD on 07/27/2007 but I have nothing to prove my I-485 status, because I only have my passport with the handwriting of this officer stated that my case is pending with my Alien number and the interview date (11/27/2006).

Seems like more people got LUDs on 485 stuck in name checks on 7/27/07. I am one of them. Don't really know whats going on.
That's people from Albany,Phoenix and San Antonio on this thread alone so presumably it's not a DO thing. Very strange...might be a good idea to ping the DO so they check the application status.