FAQ Topic: What to do after your I-485 is approved.

Hi,
I received my 485 approval notice today, but it does not mention
anything about going for passport stamping etc..It only mentions
that your card will be mailed to you.
Is that how your notice looks like too ?

Thanks

dasmsu said:
My 485 was approved on May 16th. I made an appointment with Info pass for 1st of June.
I do not know which i-94 should I give.
I've had 2 h1bs and did not leave the country since my last one.
Also my 2nd h1b expired while applying for perm residense.
COULD SOMEBODY REMIND ME IF USCIS SENDS ANOTHER I-94 WITH EAD?
My laywer has it and can't get in touch with him.
I am concern I wont get stamped. Going crazy here!
thanks a lot

My Experience

Hello all,

This is a real useful tool and here is my experience. Our I-485 got approved on May 16th and I got the notices on May 19th. Scheduled an Infopass appointment for May 20th. The stamping took only 10 minutes.

On May 26th, I went to get my new SSN card. They hadn't got any information from DHS and as per the officer there, it may take upto 10 working days to get the database reflect the changes. After that only they can accept my request for a new SSN card. I will have to revisit them again.

So, my advice to all is wait for some time before making your trip to the Social security office.

-Thanks
Yu-ghi

Last edited by a moderator:
W-2 and tax return together with I-485

Hi guys

My I-140 (NIW) has been approved. I am wondering if I need submit my W-2 form, Federal tax return, local tax return and I-864 to INS when I file I-485. I am pretty apprciated if you can let me share your information. :confused:

waitingboston said:
My wife's i-485 got approved last week, the email we received said the notice will be mailed in 14 days. she had her code 3 fp biometrics done few months ago. i wonder if she can go stamp her pp right after we get the notice, since the biometrics are done, or are they gonna ask for another set of biometrics, or just order the card and not stamp the pp.
we need to travel in 4 weeks from now, and the avance parole is not usable at this stage...any insight is appreciated.
Good luck to all you guys waiting, and thank you all for this board.

Getting a new job

Hello ETA-GC,
Your information is great. We (Me and my Wife) got our I-551 stamp about 3 weeks ago. No card yet. Do you see any risk for me to change my job now from one state to another state with a totally different job ( job description, title), but in the same field (Telecom). I really do not like my current job anymore. If there is no problem, what do I need to do besides filling AR-11, and calling the customer service and give them my new address. I just want to know if there is any risk changing job before getting the actual plastic card. Also, the new job can be in a different state with a different job description. Let me know.

Changing Job

Hello ETA-GC,
Your information is great. We (Me and my Wife) got our I-551 stamp about 3 weeks ago. No card yet. Do you see any risk for me to change my job now from one state to another state with a totally different job ( job description, title), but in the same field (Telecom). I really do not like my current job anymore. If there is no problem, what do I need to do besides filling AR-11, and calling the customer service and give them my new address. I just want to know if there is any risk changing job before getting the actual plastic card. Also, the new job can be in a different state with a different job description. Let me know.

Pl. Help Me --485 Issue-- Eb-3/ Eb-2 Filing Error

Here is my situation:
LC: PD:6/26/03 Cat: EB-2
LC: APPROVED:6/20/04
I-140/485 CONCURRENT.RD: 9/26/04
EAD:12/01/04 APPROVED
AP:3/5/05 APPROVED (DELAY DUE CLERICAL ERROR)
I-140:5/10/05 APPROVED.
FP1:(ME AND MY WIFE) :05/19/05
FP2:(ME AND MY KID WITH DIFFERENT CODE):9/26/05

TO MY HORROR, RECENTLY FOUND DUE TO CLERICAL ERROR , I-140 AND 485 WAS FILED IN CATEGORY "EB-3" INSTEAD OF "EB-2". I'M IN A PERPLEXED/shitti STATE , I' want TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MY OPTIONS ARE. I REALLY WANT TO GO VIA EB-2 route KNOWING THE PRESENT SCENARIOS of EB-3.I APPRECIATE IF SOME CAN THROW LIGHT ON THIS ISSUE AND AID ME IN TAKING A GOOD DECISION.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
SRK

Biometrics dates for plastic card

I got a biometics notice (I-797C) today for plastic cards. It says Code2 and also appointment date is 11/23/05.

1) Can I take an appointment earlier than this and goto ASC, is it OK?
Does anybody have experiences going earlier than the specified date?

2) Code2: will they take my picture over there, or I have to bring the photos?

3) Usually how long it takes to get the plastic cards after biometrics from NSC?

Any references (threads) would help me...

thanks for your help :)

Is the 797 essential for stamping ?

I've had some problems in receiving the 797 approval notice although the 485 was approved back in Sept. 05. I've received all the other mail except this and in spite of calling the NSC and trying to get it sent again , haven't received the 797 .

So , now I've received a letter from USCIS which says I should go to my local centre for the stamping but am wondering if this will suffice ?
The USCIS rep. that I spoke to said that it will do but am not so sure :(

If anyone has any idea or experience with this kind of a situation , pl. let me know ASAP (my Infopass int. is tomorrow!)

Thanks.

An update on my sit. ...
went to the CIS office and the PP stamping went thru' just fine. They never asked any questions so guess the letter that USCIS works just as well as the "official" 797C Notice of Approval :)

Name Change after 485 Approved

Hi,

In my passport, last name was added to my first name and last name is blank. From the time I entered USA i am living witout a last name. My GC is expected to have name No Given Name <First Name>. I wanted to correct my name after my 485 gets approved.

Any suggestions whether it's good idea to do that or leave it as it is? if I can change it what is the procedure.

Appreciate your responses in advance. Hope someone would guide me to have a better name on my GC.

Hey thanks, good threat!
I just wonder what is the procedure after you re-enter with an ADIT stamp at the POE, I don't have a welcome letter and I will be traveling before the letter but I do have the ADIT stamp.

Hello Gurus !

What is your legal status during AOS ie., your I-485 is pending and you have valid EAD and AP but your H1 has expired ( both your visa and petition )?..hope you are not considered out of status :D

Thanks,
goodyearahead

I-485 approved and then?

Very important info that I found here, thanks!!!
My wife got I-485 approved and the next step is easy but I'm her husband just with H1B visa (in the sixth year!!!) and I would like to know if I will get the approved residence with her (now) or if I will have to wait for 5 more years!! because I will become spouse of resident (waiting time is between 5 and 6 years). In this case, I will be out of status!! Please I need your best advice.
Thanks a lot,
Ferchu

Very important info that I found here, thanks!!!
My wife got I-485 approved and the next step is easy but I'm her husband just with H1B visa (in the sixth year!!!) and I would like to know if I will get the approved residence with her (now) or if I will have to wait for 5 more years!! because I will become spouse of resident (waiting time is between 5 and 6 years). In this case, I will be out of status!! Please I need your best advice.
Thanks a lot,
Ferchu

If you already applied for I-485 as a derivative (I think so) and you are waiting for your I-485 to be approved, you will not be out of status till a decision is made. You can apply for EAD based on your pending I485 and continue working even if your H visa expired. Also, based on your pending I-485 you can extend your H on yearly bases till a decision will be made regarding your I485.

The time interval between pricipal (your wife) and derivative (you) I-485s is variable depending on many factores (clearance of security background, your country of origin if different from your wife with no priority date for you......etc)
To the best of my knowledge, if every thing is OK, you should receive your approval soon after her.

The first post answers the question below but what happens if my passport already expired? My i-485 is approved and I have to go for the stamp in about 10 days. Will the officer still use an i-94 form and stamp it as mentioned below? Is the I-94 form that he will use a new one? I am asking this because they took my I-94 away at my interview prior to their approval.

Thanks for attention in advance.

"What if my passport is close to expiring?

They will stamp your passport only if the passport is valid for at least a year from the stamping date.

Otherwise, you will need to bring an additional passport-style photo with you (for a total of 3). The officer at the Service Center will create a temporary card using an I-94 form, affix the additional photo to it, and stamp the card. This is equivalent to the stamping that they usually do in the passport and it is valid for a year. Should you renew your passport (through your country or your country's consulate) you will not need get re-stamped."

One more thing;

I recieved my welcome letter today which says that I will recieve my PR card within 3 weeks. It does not mention any ADIT processing, stamping whatsoever.

Have they changed the way they handle things?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

As far as i know, stamping ur passport or renew ur Social Security card is your choice. You do it yourselves and so they'll not tell u wat to do next after issuing u the Green Card.

My 485 got LUD on 5/9/2007 for "Approval Notice sent", and on 5/11/2007 for "Card Mailed"; received Approval notice and the card on the same day: 5/14/2007. Correct me if I am wrong: I do not need passport stamp, since I already got the actual card. I believe USCIS has just changed the procedure after 485 approval.