False claim to U.S citizenship

ymadra

Registered Users (C)
Back in the day, I had made false claims to U.S. citizenship at work and on a couple of other places, but never tried to use someone else's passport or to tried to vote or anything like that. I know I must answer the question on the form in negative because answering it postively will definitely result in denial.

My question is does USCIS check every answer on every application to ensure all questions were answered honestly? If USCIS were to check my background, how would they know if I ever made any such claims? Let me know what you all think.

When you say at the workplace, was it used to verify employment eligibility or to gain benefits or were you just shooting your mouth off with colleagues?

I don't think USCIS verify all that, but at interview under oath, you will have to tell all the truth. I cannot predict the consequence. This is the first time hear such thing.

You may want to just simplify by saying "NO" unless they find it out themself, them they may deport you.

If USCIS were to check my background, how would they know if I ever made any such claims? Let me know what you all think.
The FBI can find out almost anything about you if there is a record of it somewhere. Will they find out about YOU? For the N-400 I don't think they have time to research everybody's claim to citizenship, other than the relatively easy task of checking voter records. But if you commit a crime, or end up in court fighting against the USCIS for some other reason (e.g. appealing a denial), that's when they will expend the resources to dig up all sorts of remote dirt on you. They may also research your details right now if you have a history of working here illegally before obtaining your green card (because it is common for illegal aliens to pretend to have citizenship to obtain work). If they ever find out about the false claim, they can revoke your citizenship at any time after granting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I declared myself a U.S. national on the employment application form as well as a couple of other places like mortgage application, bank, etc. Other than getting a job, I have not made this claim to gain any benefits.

I cannot be the only one who made such a claim. There must be other people like me out there. Thanks for all your responses. Your opinions and past experiences matter a lot.

Yes, I think if you look around the forum there were a few people who posted similar questions. For employment forms, as far as I know the company doesn't need to send those to the government so it is likely the government will never find out. For the bank and mortgage if the accounts were closed long time back perhaps they didn't send information about citizenship of their customers to the government. It is all pure speculation on my side. Perhaps some people might argue that if the claim of citizenship was not done to a government agency then it doesn't count. Anyway, this is just my opinion, I am not a lawyer and I am not basing my opinion on any prior knowledge.

Back in the day, I had made false claims to U.S. citizenship at work and on a couple of other places, but never tried to use someone else's passport or to tried to vote or anything like that. I know I must answer the question on the form in negative because answering it postively will definitely result in denial.

My question is does USCIS check every answer on every application to ensure all questions were answered honestly? If USCIS were to check my background, how would they know if I ever made any such claims? Let me know what you all think.

So what you're really asking is if it is ok to lie on your application? :rolleyes:

Go ahead, you'll probably get away with it, but someday, somehow, you might be found out. If that happens, nothing is going to protect you from the consequences.

If the employer you applying job before was a) government agency; or b) for the job related to government contract, those information will be in government database. Although it is unlikely to be exposed as for your current situation. However, keep in mind, if in the future for whatever the reson that government DO find it our, your citizenship will be stripped and will be deported.

Don't base your decision on whether you think you would be caught or not. INA 212(a)(6)(C)(ii) explains false misrepresentation of US citizenship, as well as does the field manual:

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?dockey=c05e318b04cb670bd332445d62f948f7

The statutory language in section 212(a)(6)(C)(ii) of the Act is broad in scope and provides that the false claim may have been made “...for any purpose or benefit under this Act (including section 274A) or any other Federal or State law..." Thus, a false claim of U.S. citizenship can be made to a private individual, as the statutory language includes specific mention of 274A of the Act, and the employment verification procedures described under section 274A of the Act cover both Government and private employers.

Question: Is there are difference between a U.S. national and a U.S. citizen or is it the same thing?

Okay, so you know that you would be lying under oath and you're asking whether or not we think you'll get caught? On that narrow question, probably not. But frankly, if you were lying on employment forms "back in the day" presumably you did not have the proper work permits or overstayed your tourist visa or something? Wouldn't these facts raise bigger problems with your application?

Question: Is there are difference between a U.S. national and a U.S. citizen or is it the same thing?
They are very much different. All US citizens are, of course, US nationals as well. But not vice versa. For instance, those who were born in Guam, are not citizens, but are nationals.
In the I-9 form the question is not about US citizens, but rather about US citizens or US nationals. So, answering yes is very much different from a claim to US citizenship.

I declared myself a U.S. national on the employment application form as well as a couple of other places like mortgage application, bank, etc. Other than getting a job, I have not made this claim to gain any benefits.
Information from mortgage applications is sent to the government, because of the involvement of the FHA, and Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae's relationship with the government. Information from bank accounts that give interest is also sent to the government, due to tax reporting and FDIC. And information from your employment may also have been sent to Immigration, if the employer voluntarily provided it or they were audited. If USCIS ever decides to research the details of your past, which they might do when you apply for citizenship because you apparently have a history of working illegally in the US, you will be found out easily and deported.