Expired passport at interview

ray169223

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

I have my interview this thursday. I have a small concern. Do i need to bring my wife who is the US citizen to whom i married to become a permanant resident.

My native country passport has expired. Do i need to bring that? will that cause any issues.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ray

You don't have to bring your wife, and yes, you have to bring your expired passport, but don't worry that it's expired.

Hi Folks,

I have my interview this thursday. I have a small concern. Do i need to bring my wife who is the US citizen to whom i married to become a permanant resident.

My native country passport has expired. Do i need to bring that? will that cause any issues.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Ray

You do not need to bring your wife and you are not required to have a valid passport at the interview.

Yes you need to bring your wife and yes, I strongly advise you to take that expired passport with you to the interview, just in case they need to verify travel dates and what have you.

Yes you need to bring your wife and yes, I strongly advise you to take that expired passport with you to the interview, just in case they need to verify travel dates and what have you.

There is no rule or law specifying the need to bring your spouse to the naturalization interview with you (unless specifically requested by USCIS in order to determine your eligibility for naturalization). It might be a good idea to bring her, but you are not required. Also, I may not have been clear about the passport. You need to bring your expired passport to the interview but it does not need to be valid.

No, he does NOT need to bring his wife.

I can only say to take the expired passport to the interview. About the wife I don't know/remember other posts. I would recommend to search the forum for other people's experiences. However, I think your wife doesn't need to go.

Could it be possible that Usher is getting things mixed up, like interview for Green Card and interview for citizenship. I think for the Green Card the US citizen spouse has to go to the interview too, but I am not sure of that one either. I think for citizenship it is not needed, but it was not my case so I can't say for sure.

Ray,

If I were in your situation I would take as much documentation as you have, including the passport. It really does not matter it is expired. Also I would suggest taking your wife. I have read posts here were the IO asked the wife a couple of question before taking the guy in and starting the interview. When they come out to call your name they will have already read through the application and your file.

The last thing you want is to have is a delay if they ask for more documents. Look at the Documents sticky post at the top of the page.

Ray,

If I were in your situation I would take as much documentation as you have, including the passport. It really does not matter it is expired. Also I would suggest taking your wife. I have read posts here were the IO asked the wife a couple of question before taking the guy in and starting the interview. When they come out to call your name they will have already read through the application and your file.

The last thing you want is to have is a delay if they ask for more documents. Look at the Documents sticky post at the top of the page.

The spouse is not required.
People have not been asked to bring their spouse. I'm sure that happened to people who disclosed the spouse's presence at the USCIS building.
Let's not waste a precious day of work, just bring all paperwork to prove legitimacy of marriage.