• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2018 Selectees from Ghana

It’s been a tough few weeks with a flurry of activities; quitting my job, packing stuff and terminating my lease at my rented residence. Today this family departs to commence a new life as LPRs in the USA. Thank you for all the helpful tips and knowledge sharing here. Thank you @Britsimon @Lucid @sms1mom @SusieQQQ @Obimpeh @Dunamis @Nana Kofi. Dreams can be realized with patience and determination. Good luck to all awaiting interviews. Will of course check in as often as I can to share my experiences hopefully to assist others.

Have a safe trip and all the best to you and your family in the US.

So we are now officially Legal Permanent Residents of these United States! Left Accra Friday evening aboard emirates airlines via Dubai and to Boston MA which was our POE. We were not taken to any back office but was directed to a different queue when our sealed packets were seen. The CBP Officer, a pleasant lady played with the kids and us. She finger printed my wife and I and stamped our passports with the endorsement making us PRs! Gave us a “ Welcome to the USA” greeting and sent us on our way! Told us we have a lovely family and wished us every success. Will go to the SSA here at Fayetteville on Monday to check on our SS. Thanks again everyone.

I am a DV 2019 selectee, i have an E in Maths and a B in English, I have an E in Bus. Mgt. and an E in Accounting. Do I have a chance Sir? @Kojo E
Please check out the previous posts on this page. I’ve posted a link (originally posted by Sm1smom I think) which spells out the educational qualification requirements at the US embassy in Accra. Just go back a few pages on this forum and you should see it. Generally the requirements are the passes including English and Math should qualify you for admission in a US university or Ghanaian straight away. Good luck. Please take your time and read all previous posts. You will be amazed at the knowledge you’ll gain if you do.

So we are now officially Legal Permanent Residents of these United States! Left Accra Friday evening aboard emirates airlines via Dubai and to Boston MA which was our POE. We were not taken to any back office but was directed to a different queue when our sealed packets were seen. The CBP Officer, a pleasant lady played with the kids and us. She finger printed my wife and I and stamped our passports with the endorsement making us PRs! Gave us a “ Welcome to the USA” greeting and sent us on our way! Told us we have a lovely family and wished us every success. Will go to the SSA here at Fayetteville on Monday to check on our SS. Thanks again everyone.
Congrats and welcome!

We got a JetBlue flight from Boston to North Carolina (RDU) after clearing customs and immigration. We literally ran from terminal E to C where our connecting flight was. We were the last to board after the final call. So anyone entering through Boston, please ensure you have enough time to catch your internal flight. There was some delay picking up our luggage from the carousel at Boston because it came out so slowly. Though Emirates has a partnership with JetBlue, the rules at Boston Logan Airport require you to pick up your luggage and then recheck them in to your next flight. Then we had to clear TSA checks before we could board. Poor kids were exhausted and fell asleep as soon as we boarded the plane.

We got a JetBlue flight from Boston to North Carolina (RDU) after clearing customs and immigration. We literally ran from terminal E to C where our connecting flight was. We were the last to board after the final call. So anyone entering through Boston, please ensure you have enough time to catch your internal flight. There was some delay picking up our luggage from the carousel at Boston because it came out so slowly. Though Emirates has a partnership with JetBlue, the rules at Boston Logan Airport require you to pick up your luggage and then recheck them in to your next flight. Then we had to clear TSA checks before we could board. Poor kids were exhausted and fell asleep as soon as we boarded the plane.

We recommend allowing 4 hours for connections on the activation trip. Anything less is a gamble - and why add that stress?

We recommend allowing 4 hours for connections on the activation trip. Anything less is a gamble - and why add that stress?

Yup.
FYI, it is always the case (not just at Boston Logan) that you need to collect bags, clear customs and check bags in to your domestic flight when doing a transfer from an international flight. This is the case even if it’s the same airline. A number of airlines have desks just outside the customs hall where you can easily drop bags for this transfer, but for some you do indeed have to find their own bag check counter and at larger airports where you are changing airlines it is often in a different terminal.
I agree with being conservative on transfer time...I’d much rather spend an hour surfing free WiFi than deal with missing a connection.

It’s been a tough few weeks with a flurry of activities; quitting my job, packing stuff and terminating my lease at my rented residence. Today this family departs to commence a new life as LPRs in the USA. Thank you for all the helpful tips and knowledge sharing here. Thank you @Britsimon @Lucid @sms1mom @SusieQQQ @Obimpeh @Dunamis @Nana Kofi. Dreams can be realized with patience and determination. Good luck to all awaiting interviews. Will of course check in as often as I can to share my experiences hopefully to assist others.

Welcome my brother, pray you get all your stuff in record time - ours was amazing -
- arrived on Sun June 3
- visited SSA in Lawrenceville GA on Monday Jun 4
- received our SS cards on Fri Jun 8
- got my driving permit (temp) on Thur Jun 21
- got our GC three wks from arrival Sat Jun 23

God has been so good to us, we arrived on Jun 3 and by the end of Jun we had received EVERYTHING we need. The kids got registered into their schools last week.

I pray you receive all your stuff as quickly as possible. Do get in touch bro...

Welcome my brother, pray you get all your stuff in record time - ours was amazing -
- arrived on Sun June 3

God has been so good to us, we arrived on Jun 3 and by the end of Jun we had received EVERYTHING we need. The kids got registered into their schools last week.

I pray you receive all your stuff as quickly as possible. Do get in touch bro...
Thanks bro. Glad to be here. I do pray we get our documents ASAP.

All the above sounds exciting, it's my prayer that I make it through with my family too. It's a defining moment in our life and I believe the Almighty Yaweh will see us through.

- arrived on Sun June 3

That's awesome.
One more important thing. Do start building your credit, the earlier you start the better since you'll need it down the line. You can start off with a secured card.
You also would want to do some reading about mandatory health insurance, and filing taxes.

Welcome to the US. I wish you and the whole famile well.

Is
Hellooo family.... Please is anyone here who was on AP and the case has been cleared.

Is your case still in AP? Because mine still shows READY and many updates. The last update is 20th August 2018. Hope yours too.