• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2018 Selectees from Ghana

That does make sense - thanks for clarifying. (Although it's still odd that they don't allow USD for NIVs)
Yea, it is odd though that they insist on local currency for the non immigrant visas. As I understand it, USCIS is funded solely from such visa fees so I wonder why the local currency specification. Oh well...

I believe the account they have with Gt bank is in local currency
It's all the same embassy and it's all visa fees. I don't know of any other US embassy that has different mechanisms and indeed it's incredibly strange to have a US embassy not taking USD!!! Clearly some peculiarity in how they administer NIVs in Ghana.

It's all the same embassy and it's all visa fees. I don't know of any other US embassy that has different mechanisms and indeed it's incredibly strange to have a US embassy not taking USD!!! Clearly some peculiarity in how they administer NIVs in Ghana.
Yes NIVs pay to a bank account, IVs pay to a human cashier from within the embassy. The regulatory bank of Ghana prohibits entities from conducting foreign currency transactions, but within an embassy there's some kind of immunity.

Yes NIVs pay to a bank account, IVs pay to a human cashier from within the embassy. The regulatory bank of Ghana prohibits entities from conducting foreign currency transactions, but within an embassy there's some kind of immunity.
Precisely! It's either you're from Ghana or you do quite some good research out there. :)

Hi everyone, I just received my 2NL for a November interview. However, having read from all the forums I think I won't pursue this further. This is because although I am about completing my degree (in Dec, 2017), I have some F's in my WAEC results in Senior High; and it seems this can be a problem. I don't think I will wont to spend a whopping $3000 (for a family of 4) just to be refused. I entered the University as a matured candidate (for those wondering). Ok so I wish u all well. I will take my chances with this country.

Hi everyone, I just received my 2NL for a November interview. However, having read from all the forums I think I won't pursue this further. This is because although I am about completing my degree (in Dec, 2017), I have some F's in my WAEC results in Senior High; and it seems this can be a problem. I don't think I will wont to spend a whopping $3000 (for a family of 4) just to be refused. I entered the University as a matured candidate (for those wondering). Ok so I wish u all well. I will take my chances with this country.
I'm sure you've not totally given up else you won't have bothered to post this. These "Fs" you talk about, were they in Math and English? Did you rewrite them and get a pass? If so, there might be a glimmer of hope. Whatever you decide I wish you well.

Good day family. Had my medicals at AKAI today and would like to share the experience. My interview is in November 2017 but I may not be able to travel to Accra in October for the medicals because of work schedules thus had to do it earlier.

I had called AKAI Clinic earlier to seek info and book and I was told that I don't need to book for medicals. I can walk in Mon - Fri, 8am to 1pm to do it. I arrived at the clinic around 9:00am to begin. I had budgeted to spend a maximum of GHS2,000 on the medicals. There were about 7 clients there when I arrived also going through medicals for US and other countries. At the reception, a lady asked to see my passport + appointment letter then told me it will cost GHS1,900+ (I have forgotten the exact figure she quoted but it was between 1,900 - 2,000). She needed to confirm I can afford before she gave me a form to fill.

I filled the form and sent it back to the desk. A gentleman took the form, went through it and requested for my passport and six (6) passport size pictures and asked me to sit and wait. (Note that I had read from earlier threads about passport pictures needed and the recommendation was to have AMERICAN size passport pics for ALL. Since it's cheaper to have more copies of same pic than taking a normal passport size photo for pre-interview stuffs + an American size for the interview itself. I simply walked to a photo studio and took an American size type and requested they print 12 copies for me...they print in multiples of 6).

After waiting for approximately 15 minutes, my passport was given back to me with a small sheet of paper attached...it had "USVE" written on it. I was asked to take it to the opposite room where my blood pressure, weight, and height were checked. Afterwards, I was asked to go to the next room (Vaccination room). There, I met two ladies who started telling me about vaccinations I am about to receive and asked whether I have ever had chicken pox infection before - which I answered "Yes" because I had it several years back. I had taken Hepatitis B and Yellow Fever already so I had my yellow card. I told her I have taken some vaccinations already too. She requested to see the yellow card...I showed to her and she said "Ok", it has been noted and removed from the list of required ones.

She now gave me a payment advice sheet with the following vaccinations ticked: MMR, Polio, DT, and Meningitis. The total cost of these four (4) was GHS740... which as a health professional, I know it's extremely too expensive compared to how much I would have paid if I took the vaccines from a Ghana Health Service facility.

NB: Don't be afraid to start/take your vaccinations at ANY government hospital before going to start your medicals. It will save you about GHS400 honestly. Don't be a victim IT'S NOT A MUST TO HAVE THE VACCINATIONS AT AKAI. You can do it anywhere and ensure that you're issued a Ghana Health Service Yellow Card. Not all government hospitals are certified to give vaccinations...but the certified ones are many...find out and start the vaccinations there. Hepatitis B, Yellow Fever, MMR, Polio, DT and Meningitis - as many as you can do outside AKAI, the more money you will save. The same drugs are used at the government hospitals but are far cheaper. For those going for medicals for family... take this free advice from a certified health professional. Save money when you can.

From the vaccinations room, I went to the cashier to pay GHS 740 for Vaccinations + GHS 1,030 meant for the physical examination, lab, and x-ray. From there, I was asked to send a copy of the receipt to the vaccination room and proceed to the consulting room. I waited for about 5 minutes before I was called to the consulting room. The doctor asked me series of questions relating to my medical history...whether I have any known illness or infections, any surgery, whether I drink alcohol, I smoke etc. Just basic questions that you answer yes or no depending on your medical history. After that, I was asked to proceed to a screened section of the room and take off all my clothing except my pant...and lie on a bed. The female doctor came around to do physical examination...nothing extreme. Open your mouth...let me see your eyes etc. I spent about 15 minutes for that.

From the consulting room, I was asked to go to the next room which is a lab. My blood sample was taken and a small container was given to me for urine submission. I went to the washroom just few steps away and took the urine sample for them. From there, I was asked to go downstairs to take x-ray. There I was asked to take off only my shirt and underwear for chest x-ray. By 10 minutes, I was done. I climbed back up to the vaccination room to take the shots. A drop of vaccine was put in my mouth and two (2) injections were given at my left shoulder and addition one (1) at my right shoulder. I thought they would be painful but the pain was below expectation...lol. After the shots, the lady asked for the collection date of my medical report (which had been written on my receipt)...she said I am to take the second (2nd) shot of the MMR on that day and that will cost me GHS 350 so I should prepare. (I just laughed in my head because I'm surely gonna take the second shot at a government hospital - which wouldn't cost up to GHS 150). It's allowed in medical practice to have your shots at different hospitals so far as it's the same drug and given at the right time.

For those who are waiting for their 2NL, I strongly advise you start your Hepatitis B vaccination asap at any government hospital that can issue you a yellow card. You need at least 3 months to complete Hepatitis B vaccination. The best timing is to take 1 shot, take the 2nd a month after, and take the 3rd five months from the second shot. Do your own calculation so you can start and finish on time before you travel. Hep. B vaccines are for life...I had mine in 2014 and I wouldn't be required to do it again.

Also note that the cost ranges between adults and kids.

NB: I had my medicals at AKAI Clinic just because I happen to be in a hotel very close to the clinic. I am in no way recommending AKAI compared to Holy Trinity. I don't know the current cost of medicals at Holy Trinity and the processes involved over there.

I hope this long contribution full of typos guides someone out there. I will go to the CID Headquarters tomorrow if God permits to apply for the police report. Hope to be able to give similar account on the process afterwards.

#LetLoveLead

Good day family. Had my medicals at AKAI today and would like to share the experience. My interview is in November 2017 but I may not be able to travel to Accra in October for the medicals because of work schedules thus had to do it earlier.

I had called AKAI Clinic earlier to seek info and book and I was told that I don't need to book for medicals. I can walk in Mon - Fri, 8am to 1pm to do it. I arrived at the clinic around 9:00am to begin. I had budgeted to spend a maximum of GHS2,000 on the medicals. There were about 7 clients there when I arrived also going through medicals for US and other countries. At the reception, a lady asked to see my passport + appointment letter then told me it will cost GHS1,900+ (I have forgotten the exact figure she quoted but it was between 1,900 - 2,000). She needed to confirm I can afford before she gave me a form to fill.

I filled the form and sent it back to the desk. A gentleman took the form, went through it and requested for my passport and six (6) passport size pictures and asked me to sit and wait. (Note that I had read from earlier threads about passport pictures needed and the recommendation was to have AMERICAN size passport pics for ALL. Since it's cheaper to have more copies of same pic than taking a normal passport size photo for pre-interview stuffs + an American size for the interview itself. I simply walked to a photo studio and took an American size type and requested they print 12 copies for me...they print in multiples of 6).

After waiting for approximately 15 minutes, my passport was given back to me with a small sheet of paper attached...it had "USVE" written on it. I was asked to take it to the opposite room where my blood pressure, weight, and height were checked. Afterwards, I was asked to go to the next room (Vaccination room). There, I met two ladies who started telling me about vaccinations I am about to receive and asked whether I have ever had chicken pox infection before - which I answered "Yes" because I had it several years back. I had taken Hepatitis B and Yellow Fever already so I had my yellow card. I told her I have taken some vaccinations already too. She requested to see the yellow card...I showed to her and she said "Ok", it has been noted and removed from the list of required ones.

She now gave me a payment advice sheet with the following vaccinations ticked: MMR, Polio, DT, and Meningitis. The total cost of these four (4) was GHS740... which as a health professional, I know it's extremely too expensive compared to how much I would have paid if I took the vaccines from a Ghana Health Service facility.

NB: Don't be afraid to start/take your vaccinations at ANY government hospital before going to start your medicals. It will save you about GHS400 honestly. Don't be a victim IT'S NOT A MUST TO HAVE THE VACCINATIONS AT AKAI. You can do it anywhere and ensure that you're issued a Ghana Health Service Yellow Card. Not all government hospitals are certified to give vaccinations...but the certified ones are many...find out and start the vaccinations there. Hepatitis B, Yellow Fever, MMR, Polio, DT and Meningitis - as many as you can do outside AKAI, the more money you will save. The same drugs are used at the government hospitals but are far cheaper. For those going for medicals for family... take this free advice from a certified health professional. Save money when you can.

From the vaccinations room, I went to the cashier to pay GHS 740 for Vaccinations + GHS 1,030 meant for the physical examination, lab, and x-ray. From there, I was asked to send a copy of the receipt to the vaccination room and proceed to the consulting room. I waited for about 5 minutes before I was called to the consulting room. The doctor asked me series of questions relating to my medical history...whether I have any known illness or infections, any surgery, whether I drink alcohol, I smoke etc. Just basic questions that you answer yes or no depending on your medical history. After that, I was asked to proceed to a screened section of the room and take off all my clothing except my pant...and lie on a bed. The female doctor came around to do physical examination...nothing extreme. Open your mouth...let me see your eyes etc. I spent about 15 minutes for that.

From the consulting room, I was asked to go to the next room which is a lab. My blood sample was taken and a small container was given to me for urine submission. I went to the washroom just few steps away and took the urine sample for them. From there, I was asked to go downstairs to take x-ray. There I was asked to take off only my shirt and underwear for chest x-ray. By 10 minutes, I was done. I climbed back up to the vaccination room to take the shots. A drop of vaccine was put in my mouth and two (2) injections were given at my left shoulder and addition one (1) at my right shoulder. I thought they would be painful but the pain was below expectation...lol. After the shots, the lady asked for the collection date of my medical report (which had been written on my receipt)...she said I am to take the second (2nd) shot of the MMR on that day and that will cost me GHS 350 so I should prepare. (I just laughed in my head because I'm surely gonna take the second shot at a government hospital - which wouldn't cost up to GHS 150). It's allowed in medical practice to have your shots at different hospitals so far as it's the same drug and given at the right time.

For those who are waiting for their 2NL, I strongly advise you start your Hepatitis B vaccination asap at any government hospital that can issue you a yellow card. You need at least 3 months to complete Hepatitis B vaccination. The best timing is to take 1 shot, take the 2nd a month after, and take the 3rd five months from the second shot. Do your own calculation so you can start and finish on time before you travel. Hep. B vaccines are for life...I had mine in 2014 and I wouldn't be required to do it again.

NB: I had my medicals at AKAI Clinic just because I happen to be in a hotel very close to the clinic. I am in no way recommending AKAI compared to Holy Trinity. I don't know the current cost of medicals at Holy Trinity and the processes involved over there.

I hope this long contribution full of typos guides someone out there. I will go to the CID Headquarters tomorrow if God permits to apply for the police report. Hope to be able to give similar account on the process afterwards.

#LetLoveLead
Wow!!! That is so kind of you my brother. Very detailed and useful information. Thank you so much. Very much appreciated.

#LetLoveLead
Does it mean you spent additional money aside the initial 1900+?

#LetLoveLead
Excellent post. Thanks a bunch for this.

That was very accurate and useful advice @Nana Kofi. Especially the bit about being able to take the vaccinations at different (certified) heath centres to reduce costs. One more thing to add, most people have already taken some of these vaccines during infancy. If you have past records then you don't need to repeat anymore.

@Britsimon indicates that supporting document paired with the form I-134 Affidavit of Support are as follow;
  1. 1040 (annual tax report – most recent copy)
  2. W2 (annual employee earnings statement if employed – most recent copy)
  3. Recent Payslips
  4. Photo ID

However, within the instructions for affidavit of support on USCIS it states on page 3;

Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions with deposits, identifying the following details
regarding the account:
A
(1) Date account opened;
(2) Total amount deposited for the past year; and
(3) Present balance.
B.
Statement(s) from your employer on business stationery showing:
(1) Date and nature of employment;
(2) Salary paid; and
(3) Whether the position is temporary or permanent.
C.
If self-employed:
(1) Copy of last income tax return filed; or
(2) Report of commercial rating concern.
D.
List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Is there a contradiction or what USCIS is stating is for another purpose? NB: I do however understand that for I-134 is used for other purposes other than DV cases.

@Britsimon indicates that supporting document paired with the form I-134 Affidavit of Support are as follow;
  1. 1040 (annual tax report – most recent copy)
  2. W2 (annual employee earnings statement if employed – most recent copy)
  3. Recent Payslips
  4. Photo ID

However, within the instructions for affidavit of support on USCIS it states on page 3;

Statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institutions with deposits, identifying the following details
regarding the account:
A
(1) Date account opened;
(2) Total amount deposited for the past year; and
(3) Present balance.
B.
Statement(s) from your employer on business stationery showing:
(1) Date and nature of employment;
(2) Salary paid; and
(3) Whether the position is temporary or permanent.
C.
If self-employed:
(1) Copy of last income tax return filed; or
(2) Report of commercial rating concern.
D.
List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s).

Is there a contradiction or what USCIS is stating is for another purpose? NB: I do however understand that for I-134 is used for other purposes other than DV cases.

Not a contradiction - feel free to follow the official guidance - although I can tell you that my list achieves the same thing. I don't focus on bank accounts at all because savings are only worth one fifth of the value of income in their formulas.

Yup, what Simon said above ^^

His list is the same as what I have for those processing AOS - and people going by the simplified list haven't returned to tell us they had any kind of problem with it. And to further echo what Simon said, you and any other person that feels otherwise are free to go with the official list.

#LetLoveLead

4.....A4 sheets.....lolx u gonna be a best seller one day

Not a contradiction - feel free to follow the official guidance - although I can tell you that my list achieves the same thing. I don't focus on bank accounts at all because savings are only worth one fifth of the value of income in their formulas.

Well, your option appears straightforward and already committed to that. Just didn't know what all those documents in the official guidelines stood for (more detailed or about the same)

Yup, what Simon said above ^^

His list is the same as what I have for those processing AOS - and people going by the simplified list haven't returned to tell us they had any kind of problem with it. And to further echo what Simon said, you and any other person that feels otherwise are free to go with the official list.
Simonsays so I do what Simonsays