• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2006 and J1 visa

I received today the payment bill from the Department of State. That was fast. I am still waiting for the first notice from the USCIS from Chicago.
And ofcourse the date for the interview.

afraid

Hi

I am getting very woriied because I have no answer no first notice and no confirmation that the Chicago office is taking my case or not. what is going on?
Why they do not send me the first notice letter?
Can I call the office and ask?

I feel that I am running out of time and I do not know anything about my status.

Good luck on the interview for those who are going in February.

Talk to you soon.

so, you sent your documents in november ? do you know when you case number is current ? if it is, if it is already current, you should make an appointment via INFOPASS ! i would do it even if my case number not current, because it is a little bit strange that it takes so long to send you first notice. Just for you, the first notice means that they got your documents, that is it ! the second usually invitation on biometrix .... and so on ...

I sent my documents to the USCIS office on LaSalle st in January 18th and I did not get the first notice yet. But I read from the portal that it could take around 25 days to get the first notice, but I was hopping that I will receive it in 10 days just like you.
The "problem " is that my case number is EU45XX which is valid a long time ago. Could that be a problem?

I am worried. Good luck tomorrow at the interview.
Talk to you soon.
Thank you for your help. Write something about the interviu.

afraid

Hi guys,

All my documents came back from Chicago. I did something wrong and I am not sure what.
I have sent 2 checks ( $325 + $70 )
And the rest I am not sure what else was wrong.

I am glad that you have the interviu behind you.
THE CHECKS ARE GOOD? OR I SHOULD SEND MONEY ORDER?

afraid

Last edited by a moderator:
it should be money order, or at least not personal checks. did they tell you in the letter what exactly forced them to send all your documents back ?

Confused

:confused:

Guys, I was about to send my application to USCIS when I saw your postings.

Boris, did you send money order or checks? Are you sure you cannot pay by personal checks?

Afraid, did you find out what was wrong in your case? Was it because you sent two checks instead of one?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Marvadur

i took money order checks from my university where i have account. i cannot prove that you cannot pay by regular personal checks....

What I did.

Hello again Afraid and Boris.

It was great to see your postings this morning. I was ready to send my application when I saw what happened to Afraid’s documents.

Let me tell you what I did. I set up an appointment at my local USCIS through infopass. It was very easy and very helpful. I took all papers with me and the lady (very nice lady by the way) looked through everything and she said that it was quite good with only a few things missing.

What we changed in our application based on what she said:

First of all, [this is especially for you Afraid], she said that personal checks are perfectly fine. No problem at all to pay by personal checks. The only thing that she said was that instead of putting all the checks together, we should separate them by application. It is ok to send all 4 applications in the same envelope. The only important thing is to make a "packet" for each person applying together with the DV winner.

Let me explain it a little better: we are a family of 4, so she said each person should have a separate set of docs put together (she even put a big black clip holding each set of papers) and each set should have its own fee. So now we have four applications (four set of documents), each set has, in this order, the following documents:

My husband and lottery winner:

1) In the cover (each application has a cover with person’s name and DV #) the lady taped the check (personal check).
2) Congratulations letter.
3) I-485
4) Birth Certificate and translation
5) Marriage Certificate and translation (the lady said that each application should have it)
6) Letter of Employment
7) Passport copy
8) I-94 copy
9) H1B approvals (I-129) – to show that we’ve been legally living in the US
10) University diploma and translation
11) Pictures
12) G-325A
13) I-693
14) Form 9003
15) WR-703
16) Copy of the receipt for the $375 fee to Department of State
17) Copies of tax returns of 2002, 2003 and 2004

My application:

1) In the cover (each application has a cover with person’s name and DV #) the lady taped the check (personal check).
2) Congratulations letter (the lady said that each application should have it)
3) I-485
5) Marriage Certificate and translation (the lady said that each application must have it)
6) Letter of Employment (the lady said that each application must have it)
7) Passport copy
8) I-94 copy
9) H1B approvals (I-129) – to show that we’ve been legally living in the US. Here, be careful! You should have copies of your H-4 approvals PLUS of the H1-B approvals of your spouse.
10) Pictures
11) G-325A
12) I-693
13) Form 9003
14) WR-703
15) Copy of the receipt for the $375 fee to Department of State (all applications must have it)
16) Copies of tax returns of 2002, 2003 and 2004 (all applications must have it)

Kids’ application:

2) Congratulations letter (the lady said that each application must have it)
3) I-485
5) Marriage Certificate and translation (the lady said that each application should have it)
6) Letter of Employment (all applications must have a copy)
7) Passport copy
8) I-94 copy
9) H1B approvals (I-129) – to show that we’ve been legally living in the US. Here, be careful! You should have copies of your H-4 approvals PLUS of the H1-B approvals of your spouse.
10) Pictures
11) I-693
12) Form 9003
13) WR-703
14) Copy of the receipt for the $375 fee to Department of State (all applications must have it)
15) Copies of tax returns of 2002, 2003 and 2004 (all applications must have it)

That's it. Now I think we are really ready to send our papers.

Wishing luck to everyone :)

Marvadur

Hi everybody

I ran to the bank and I will send money order this time.
My case is a little different. And the lady from the USCIS checked my documents and still they sent them back. Maybe they did a mistake. I don't know but you see I am stock again.
In case that you see somethink stange in my doc please tell me . I have the following documents:

I am the winner of the DV and I am in the US
I have:

- I 485
- money order for $395
- coppy of the passport with the visa
- copy of I 94
- copy of I
- adit informational sheet ( from the uSCIS office )
- copy of ds 2019 ( J1 status )
- because I had J1 I applied for a J1 visa waiver and I attached the waiver too
- I 864 - affidavit of support ( even I am with a contract I have affidavit
too )
- copy of birth certificate (copy of the legalized translation)
- copy of marriage certificate (copy of the legalized translation)
- copy of the $375
- copy of the congratulation letter

- I 765 - employment based on permanent resinence
- money order for $180
- 2 photos

- I 131 - travel document
- money order $170
- 2 photos

- G325A

Statement why I what to travel or leave the US and statement that my husband is in Romania and that he will do CONSULAR PROCESSING at the US Embassy.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE NOW.

I did not send the congratulation letter but I have sent the letter in which the KKC tells me to apply for AOS and the last page from the congratulation letter where is the case number with the bar code.

I received a REJECTION NOTICE with the following:

The application is being returned for the following reasons:
x The application has not been fully completed. Please answer all questions fully and accurately, and return it with the appropriate fees and supporting documentation...
If any items do not apply, please write "N/A".
The following field(s) were not completed:
"INVALID PART 2 APPLICATION TYPE OTHER BASIS ELIGIBILITY"
(I HAD THE "h" checked with the following text:" I was selected for the DV2006")
I WROTE THE FORM AGAIN AND THIS TIME I WROTE:"I AM A WINNER OF THE DV LOTTERY2006 WITH CASE NUMBER 2006EU00004XXXWHICH GIVES ME THE ELIGIBILITY TO CONSIDER ME FOR THE NATURALIZATION PROCESS "

Another check:
x Based on the information you provided, your priority date could not be established. Please resubmityour application with the proper documentation .
the following documentations may be provided:
Your original Form I 130( AND I CALLED THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I CAN'T APPLY FOR I130 BECAUSE I AM NOT A PERMANENT RESIDENCE )

OR
other information taht immigration visa petition has been filed / approved on your behalf.

And I have no idea what is wrong ( EXCEPT NOT HAVING THE CONGRATULATION LETTER) AND WHAT ELSE THEY NEED.

Should I go again to the local USCIS office and ask again?
afraid

To afraid

Afraid,

It's NOT naturalization process, but permanent residency, or GREEN CARD. To apply for citizenship you need to be a green card holder for at least 5 years (or 3 years if married to an American citizen).

Afraid,

they are right about the I-130 form. You cannot file it since you are not a permanent resident or a citizen.

"I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Instructions:

Purpose of Form: A citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States may file this form to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. A separate form must be filed for each eligible relative.

Then why did they sent that notice asking for the I 130?

And I did not write anything were they were asking for middle name because I do not have one. So should I write N/A or NONE?

In form I 131( travel document ) I did not write anything for the CLASS OF ADMISSION
and if I do not have an A# I should write none , write?

Defenetly I will go again to the local USCIS office and I will ask them again to be sure and I hope this time everything will be Ok.

Hope this time will be fine
afraid

I 485

So what should I write for the H
Other basis of eligibility?????????????????????

Please tell me exactly what to write

afraid

Afraid,

in my opinion (at least that what we are writing in our DV application), what you said before is good enough, but without the further explanation of which blah, blah, blah.

:"I AM A WINNER OF THE DV LOTTERY2006 WITH CASE NUMBER 2006EU00004XXX"

Marvadur
p.s. I do not have time now but later I'll tell you something that I found out about the I-130

adjustment of status

Hi everybody

I went to the local USCIS office today and they told me that everything was fine with my forms and documents and that they overlooked something and just send the documents back .
That is what I did . Now I am waiting again.
I hope this time I am going to get a good notice.

Talk to you soon. And thank you for your support and for " your being here"

hope to here good news from everybody.
afraid

Forms no longer needed

Zaryun,

do not worry about these 2 forms. They're actually not necessary. It's just that when we went to our local USCIS (here in the U.S.), they gave us a "DV packet" with lots of forms and among those were the 9003 and the WR-703.

At the end, we ended up not sending the 9003 since I saw online that it is not required anymore. (See http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1404.html and http://www.murthy.com/news/UDirs485.html ).

The WR-703 cannot even be found online. The only way to get it is through a local USCIS. So, do not worry about it either. (See http://laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21345 )

Marvadur