• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery 2017 - Questions

There are some standard docs that all embassies will require (like birth certificate, etc), but there are some embassy specific instructions as well which are at the bottom of the page here.

Thanx again, I've actually searched my region, but there were no information available...maybe they are updating or something.

Hi, I have a question regarding the police record requirement.

If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months but not in a row (for example, lived there for 7 months but left on 1 month vacation, then came back and lived there for 6 months), do they still need a police certificate?

Good question.

I'm also curious about that too. Since I've been a student in the States between the periods (2006-2013) "and I went back and forth" do I need a Police Record/Certificate for that?

Edit: I guess yes after reading Mom's post

I'm also curious about that too. Since I've been a student in the States between the periods (2006-2013) "and I went back and forth" do I need a Police Record/Certificate for that?

The answer is No in your case. PCC from the US is not required. And if you're processing from within the US, no PCC from other places required either.

However if processing at an embassy, then yes, you do need the PCC from wherever it is you've been going back and forth to for years.

You should ensure you read the instructions properly. They clearly state you don't need a PCC for the US. If you missed this you may have missed something else important too.

Thank you @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ

I saw some instruction about the PPC from the US embassy in my country "It was a 3 steps procure"

One of the documents you must obtain prior to being scheduled for an immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy Riyadh is a Saudi police clearance. The Saudi authorities will require that you present a letter from the Embassy requesting the police clearance.
In order to obtain the letter from the Embassy, you must have the following:

1. An immigrant visa case pending;
  2. Proof of residence in Saudi Arabia or a valid Iqama; and
  3. A letter from the National Visa Center requesting a police clearance.
You should submit your request to the U.S. Embassy in Riyadh during our immigration hours: Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday 9:30am-12:30pm.

Hello everyone, just reading everyone's messages, thought I'd post something I read on the us embassy, suva Fiji branch. The fees has changed, instead of $330, its now $693. Is this a new thing? I came across this message on the usa embassy website.

Fees

NOTICE: Effective Monday, Septermber 14, 2015, the Fiji Currency Exchange Rate in use by the Consular Section is 2.1. Please be advised there is no changes to the US$ cost of services.

Fees for Divery Visa services must be paid in person at the interview. The U.S. Embassy Suva will accept payment either in U.S. dollars or Fiji Dollars.

Fee Type U.S. Dollars Fiji Dollars

DV Lottery $330 $693

Is this correct information? can some one verify please. sorry for this annoying question. its just $693 is a little bit expensive for Fiji standards and for me, however when taking into account what other people have paid, its peanuts, right? It will take us about 7 months to save that amount.

$330 was always USD, not local currency. I'm guessing the $693 is the conversion from USD to Fiji dollars.

@Shekina, you might to investigate costs associated with DV including the visa fee, the medical, police checks and the cost of producing the Green Card itself. It all adds up.

Hello everyone, just reading everyone's messages, thought I'd post something I read on the us embassy, suva Fiji branch. The fees has changed, instead of $330, its now $693. Is this a new thing? I came across this message on the usa embassy website.

Fees

NOTICE: Effective Monday, Septermber 14, 2015, the Fiji Currency Exchange Rate in use by the Consular Section is 2.1. Please be advised there is no changes to the US$ cost of services.

Fees for Divery Visa services must be paid in person at the interview. The U.S. Embassy Suva will accept payment either in U.S. dollars or Fiji Dollars.

DV Lottery $330 $693

Is this correct information? can some one verify please. sorry for this annoying question. its just $693 is a little bit expensive for Fiji standards and for me, however when taking into account what other people have paid, its peanuts, right? It will take us about 7 months to save that amount.

FJD is falling drastically against USD, or should I put USD is getting stronger against virtually all currencies. @EmilyW is correct, 693 is in FJD.
@Shekina, you may wanna have a look at http://www.ustraveldocs.com/fj/index.html. It mentions a similar news item below.

As of now, 1 FJD = 0.46USD. Wow!

INCREASE IN CONSULAR EXCHANGE RATE FOR FIJI

Effective September 14, 2015, the U.S. Consular Exchange Rate for visa application for payments made at Fiji Post Office in Fiji has been revised from 2.0 to 2.1. The fee for a U.S. visa remains the same in U.S. Dollars.

Fees

DV Lottery $330 $693

As others have said the $692 is the Fiji dollar rate.

But let me point out that there will be additional costs. The medical, the Green Card fee. And then there are the costs of moving to the USA, flights, lodging before you get a job, transport, phone - that will cost thousands of dollars (USD). You cannot turn up in the USA with $200 in your pocket and expect to be fine. So - you need to be realistic in your planning.

But let me point out that there will be additional costs. The medical, the Green Card fee. And then there are the costs of moving to the USA, flights, lodging before you get a job, transport, phone - that will cost thousands of dollars (USD). You cannot turn up in the USA with $200 in your pocket and expect to be fine. So - you need to be realistic in your planning.

And there is also the public charge factor to overcome to succeed in interview.
But first, they need to get selected.

Hi people so i did my application and it went so now waiting for May.but i dont want to put my life on hold hoping that my application will be picked so my question is is it ok to have a baby between now and september next year. Will it have any effect on my application if i get lucky that is. I put my husband and 2 kids on the application so please advice if its a good idea to be having more babies now or maybe i should wait though my biologicsl click is ticking

Hi people so i did my application and it went so now waiting for May.but i dont want to put my life on hold hoping that my application will be picked so my question is is it ok to have a baby between now and september next year. Will it have any effect on my application if i get lucky that is. I put my husband and 2 kids on the application so please advice if its a good idea to be having more babies now or maybe i should wait though my biologicsl click is ticking

DV is a lottery - with a very small chance of winning. You live your life and if things change (like more babies) you can include those changes in the process IF you are selected.

Hi there,
I am new to this forum, so apologies if this question has been already raised, but I would really appreciate your reply.

I have been to US several times through different study and travel visas (J,F,B, etc). And I have always been conscious about my immigration status and all papers associated with it and never violated my visas and entry dates. So now, I believe, I have a good personal record.

However, due to several reasons I want to try to fill out eDV and participate in DV-2017 lottery (as I want to immigrate to US only legally).
My main question/concern - will lottery participation (eDV fill out) have an impact on my future visas issuance (I am planning to visit my friends during Christmas or early spring 2016)? Do they match participants of DV lottery, while processing regular visas?
I am really afraid that my participation will be treated as an immigrant intent and I will be denied standard non-immigrant visa.

Thank you.

Hi there,
I am new to this forum, so apologies if this question has been already raised, but I would really appreciate your reply.

I have been to US several times through different study and travel visas (J,F,B, etc). And I have always been conscious about my immigration status and all papers associated with it and never violated my visas and entry dates. So now, I believe, I have a good personal record.

However, due to several reasons I want to try to fill out eDV and participate in DV-2017 lottery (as I want to immigrate to US only legally).
My main question/concern - will lottery participation (eDV fill out) have an impact on my future visas issuance (I am planning to visit my friends during Christmas or early spring 2016)? Do they match participants of DV lottery, while processing regular visas?
I am really afraid that my participation will be treated as an immigrant intent and I will be denied standard non-immigrant visa.

Thank you.

Entry into the lottery has been discussed by officials as NOT being seen as immigrant intent.
Winning the lottery is also not considered immigrant intent.
Filling in the DS260 after selection (which is an application for immigrant status) IS considered immigrant intent, but ion itself, even that will not disqualify someone from later non immigrant applications if the process did not complete.

Hi Britsimon, Emily, Lazydoggie and SusieQQQ thank you for your advice, yes we have planned and are working towards a budget, we sat downlast night and drew up a plan and we also talked about how we can use our assets, we have more than enough left in my fathers provident fund account to see us through to USA, it will be enough for the first 3 months, we are not withdrawing that money until we have our visas. The others expenses like airfare, police checks, medical etc will have to be saved from our weekly incomes, now that I'm working, all my pay is going in the bank, we are living off my mums pay and saving some of hers too, we have home grown veges, just buy the essentials, we have a small house to sell too, won't get much for it but it will be enough for all expenses. We will be okay. We will have to get a job, any job asap in usa, waitressing, nannying, etc.

Ideally you would not want to put all your life savings at stake, when immigrating, just saying. Especially if those get you covered for the first 3 months only.

Hi Britsimon, Emily, Lazydoggie and SusieQQQ thank you for your advice, yes we have planned and are working towards a budget, we sat downlast night and drew up a plan and we also talked about how we can use our assets, we have more than enough left in my fathers provident fund account to see us through to USA, it will be enough for the first 3 months, we are not withdrawing that money until we have our visas. The others expenses like airfare, police checks, medical etc will have to be saved from our weekly incomes, now that I'm working, all my pay is going in the bank, we are living off my mums pay and saving some of hers too, we have home grown veges, just buy the essentials, we have a small house to sell too, won't get much for it but it will be enough for all expenses. We will be okay. We will have to get a job, any job asap in usa, waitressing, nannying, etc.

My honest advice to you right now would be to forget about the DV lottery, and for you and your mom to continue living your lives as "normal" - whatever you consider normal to be. The overall chance of being selected is about 1/2 to 1%, plus the fact that selection does not guarantee one would get a visa at the end of the day. It's okay that you guys are making plans for the possibility of how to proceed should either of you get selected, but I think you're focusing too much on it for now. Remember, it's a lottery, it's a random selection!

the photo tool couldn't crop my pic when applying for the dv lottery, but I submitted it with my head slightly above the required head position. It had all the required dimension and size that's 600*600 and less than 240 kb. The problem now is the head slightly above the head position. Will I be disqualified?

Ideally you would not want to put all your life savings at stake, when immigrating, just saying. Especially if those get you covered for the first 3 months only.
We live in a 3rd world country where savings isn't possible most of the time, my father is dead and I have mum who has done really for herself considering she didn't finish university and us a widow with no one looking out for her. We have my father's life savings and we think we will use it when we get to usa, whenever that is after selection. So we are lucky that we have some emergency fund, when we reach usa my mum can finish her studies in law, as I said she is very capable, 3 months is a long time for two girls, to establish ourselves, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain and we will be ok. Lots of work in usa.

My honest advice to you right now would be to forget about the DV lottery, and for you and your mom to continue living your lives as "normal" - whatever you consider normal to be. The overall chance of being selected is about 1/2 to 1%, plus the fact that selection does not guarantee one would get a visa at the end of the day. It's okay that you guys are making plans for the possibility of how to proceed should either of you get selected, but I think you're focusing too much on it for now. Remember, it's a lottery, it's a random selection!
Yes mom I agree, feel like you and body are coming down my throat a bit, feeling a little discouraged by these comments, whether we get selected is not the goal here but making sure we a set for success where ever we are, and honestly I have never felt so empowered before, we have a plan for dv should we win it, and a plan for our normal lives, we have family in california, and florida who are going to support us wif accommodation and food if we get our visas, I know poorer people than us who are doing well, took them a few years but they have done really well. And I will not forget about dv, I can wait for years, as the monkey man said,5% chance and with my mum 10 % chances it's is looking good, I haven't seen the world like most of you but I have one thing and the is hope

Last edited:
Yes mom I agree, feel like you and body are coming down my throat a bit, feeling a little discouraged by these comments, whether we get selected is not the goal here but making sure we a set for success where ever we are, and honestly I have never felt so empowered before, we have a plan for dv should we win it, and a plan for our normal lives, we have family in california, and florida who are going to support us wif accommodation and food if we get our visas, I know poorer people than us who are doing well, took them a few years but they have done really well. And I will not forget about dv, I can wait for years, as the monkey man said,5% chance and with my mum 10 % chances it's is looking good, I haven't seen the world like most of you but I have one thing and the is hope

Oh, really? You feel like I'm coming down your throat a bit when all I'm trying to tell you is now that you've submitted your application, you should forget about the lottery until next May when it's time to check the results? By all means, spend the next 7 months focused on a 1% possibility of being selected, and not only being selected, but on being selected with a CN that is low enough and has a higher chance of being current.