• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv lottery 2011 from ethiopia

hi labora,is the interview hall open same as others or held in separate rooms for every applicants?
if it is open u must have seen somebody's interview so how was others interview,is it same as u or
they asked some details especially for couples.just tell us what u have seen.

fikaleb,
It is in an open hallway with all the 15 windows infront of the waiting area. Other people, however, are not able to listen to ur dialogue clearly as the windows are a bit far. We were the third to be called for the interview from the dv category, so we didn't see many others being interviewed before us. I have seen one young couple with a new baby born after they sent their forms to kcc. They were told to fill the ds 230 forms for the baby and to pay for all of them. Unfortunately, I didn't see their interview because we left before they finished filling the forms. The other winner was a single male who was also granted the visa. We met him at the gate on the way out and he told us that he was not asked many questions. That was it. Things look easier at the embassy in Addis. I wish you all the best and good luck.

Hi Labora,
Txs a lot for ur response and concern.

regarding my police certificate, i hv tried a lot to get it but all turned down because there is no ethiopian embassy in country where i'm currently living. moreover, i couldn't get potential freinds there in ethiopia who could facilitate the same. as a result i decided to tell the officer during my interview that this certificate is available only for thos applying in person in ethiopia.
i will print and highlight the statement supporting the above from their web site. i also read one experiance done like the above from one thread and was accepted as OK. below is the statement from the website.

"Police and Prison Records
Available only to those resident in Ethiopia. Certificates of good conduct from the police (Interpol) are available only to people 18 years or older who apply in person in Ethiopia. Three photos, a valid travel document, and a letter requesting the investigation are required for certificate issuance. Persons released from prison are normally given an official release record. "

This is the website: travel.state.gov/visa-Reciprocity

i don't know how much it would be risky toi present the above evidence.

what do u advice me pls???

stay safe!!

Hi Labora,
Txs a lot for ur response and concern.

regarding my police certificate, i hv tried a lot to get it but all turned down because there is no ethiopian embassy in country where i'm currently living. moreover, i couldn't get potential freinds there in ethiopia who could facilitate the same. as a result i decided to tell the officer during my interview that this certificate is available only for thos applying in person in ethiopia.
i will print and highlight the statement supporting the above from their web site. i also read one experiance done like the above from one thread and was accepted as OK. below is the statement from the website.

"Police and Prison Records
Available only to those resident in Ethiopia. Certificates of good conduct from the police (Interpol) are available only to people 18 years or older who apply in person in Ethiopia. Three photos, a valid travel document, and a letter requesting the investigation are required for certificate issuance. Persons released from prison are normally given an official release record. "

This is the website: travel.state.gov/visa-Reciprocity

i don't know how much it would be risky toi present the above evidence.

what do u advice me pls???

stay safe!!

Hi kidame,
Winners from Bangladesh have been put under AP for not bringing the police certificate to the interview. I don't think u should take any risk on this. The police certificate processing takes only one day in Ethiopia. You give ur finger prints on one day and you get the certificate on the next day. When are you planning to come for the interview? I advise you to come to Ethiopia a few working days before your interview date so that you can complete processing the police certificate on time. Please take no chances on this. You never know what annoys the CO. Having a complete document for the interview is actually going through 90% of the visa interview. Wish u all the best and good luck.

Thank you Labora2!!

currently im doing my PhD abroad and have no plan to go back to ethiopia this time. i already gave my current address for the upcoming interview. had i planed to get my interview there at ethiopia, things would have been easier. i already collected police certficate from my current country and also from the other country where i did my MSc study. moreover, with all the other required docs, im very much OK. these all has made me a little bit confident despite ethio police certificate abscence. but still im trying to hv it though the chance is very low.........

i don't know what to do...im really getting confused.
i can send all the required fingur print, passport, photo but no ethio embassy in my current country....i tried coudn't get acceptance.

does ethio police office has another options to let people like me get the stated certificat in the abscence of ethio embassy in their current country?

Blessings,

Thank you Labora2!!

currently im doing my PhD abroad and have no plan to go back to ethiopia this time. i already gave my current address for the upcoming interview. had i planed to get my interview there at ethiopia, things would have been easier. i already collected police certficate from my current country and also from the other country where i did my MSc study. moreover, with all the other required docs, im very much OK. these all has made me a little bit confident despite ethio police certificate abscence. but still im trying to hv it though the chance is very low.........

i don't know what to do...im really getting confused.
i can send all the required fingur print, passport, photo but no ethio embassy in my current country....i tried coudn't get acceptance.

does ethio police office has another options to let people like me get the stated certificat in the abscence of ethio embassy in their current country?

Blessings,

Hi kidame, now I get it. In that case we need to again contact the federal police office in Addis to know what they say about this. I will try to go there and get the info. Will post it here as soon as I get it from them. I will do that probably the day after tomorrow. Take care.

Again i got the same response for my request of receipt of documents,after 6weeks since DHL
confirmation,from KCC.even my relative from USA called them to get some information about
my case providing them my confirmation number,date of birth and full name but they told him to
tell me just to wait for my second notification letter and they wont tell me anything concerning my case
so i decided to email them after 3months,since after DHL confirmed delivery.here is the response:

Thank you for your inquiry,

The omission of your case number on the forms will not affect the processing of your case. However, for security purposes, KCC cannot reveal any information regarding your case if you cannot provide all the required information of your full name, complete case number, and date of birth in the following format (MMDDYYYY).

Kentucky Consular Center

Support Contractor-Serco/mam

Email: KCCDV@State.gov

Phone: (606) 526-7500

Any information in this transmission pertaining to the issuance or refusal of visas or permits to enter the United States shall be considered confidential under Section 222 (f) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) [8 U.S.C. Section 1202]. Access to and use of such information must be solely for the formulation, amendment, administration, or enforcement of the immigration, nationality, and other laws of the United States under INA 222(f) and as specified in FAM guidance. If you have received such information in error, do not review, retransmit, disclose, disseminate, use, or take any action in reliance upon this information, and contact the sender as soon as possible.

This email is Sensitive but Unclassified based on the definitions provided in 12 FAM 540.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have no word to thank you enough Labora2!

if the need arise, we may also use our email adress.

stay blessed!!!

Hi fikaleb,
I think that is a good idea. In the mean time, don't forget to regularly check your post office box. Good luck.

Have no word to thank you enough Labora2!

U are welcome, kidame. I think it is better if you edit your last post and delete your e mail address from there. You never know what may happen. If the need arises, I will ask you to send it to me through a private message. I will post the response from the police on tomorrow. Good luck. One more thing, in which country are you studying now? I need to know if in case they ask me about it.

Hi fikaleb,
There is also another e mail: consaddis@state.gov but they didn't respond to my inquiry I sent with that address. Anyway, let her try every available means including going to the embassy personally. She has to tell them the reason and hopefully she gets another date. Today would have been her day to hear the good news, so unfortunate. God be with her.

hi labora do u remember the girl who missed her interview date,she came to addis on Monday to
contact us embassy and they told her to come again with her full documents and she finished her
medicals at cathedral clinic with in 3days and went to us embassy at addis ababa 2day morning
do u believe what they have told her,they scheduled her interview date for monday afternoon.wow
everything is going smoothly at us embassy addis ababa.wish for this girl to have a wonderful interview
as it was for u.

hi labora do u remember the girl who missed her interview date,she came to addis on Monday to
contact us embassy and they told her to come again with her full documents and she finished her
medicals at cathedral clinic with in 3days and went to us embassy at addis ababa 2day morning
do u believe what they have told her,they scheduled her interview date for monday afternoon.wow
everything is going smoothly at us embassy addis ababa.wish for this girl to have a wonderful interview
as it was for u.
Yes I remember her, fikaleb.
Thank God she got an interview date so near. I was afraid they might push her farther away to the end of the fiscal year. It is so great for her. As u said it, things are currently so reassuring at the US embassy in Addis. I wish everyone going to be interviewed in Addis a happy ending. God be with all of us.

hi labora2,

txs for ur advice.

may u pls check ur privat msg box. i sent you msg.

txs a lot!
Hi kidame,
I went to the federal police office today and talked to them. They told me that if there is no Ethiopian embassy in that country, then you have to go to the local police office, explain your situation to them and give your ten finger prints in that police office. You will then send the fingerprints, the photocopy of your passport and your two photographs to Addis. They told me that local police offices in foreign countries take finger prints for such purposes without any problem. I think you need to do that and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Hi Labora2,

Egig betam ameseginalhu!!! i really hv no word bro to thank you enough!!
Egizabihar yibarikh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wished i could c you in person, perhaps sooner or latter we will! y za sew yibelen fetari!!

i hope now i will manage it and will let you know the status soon!!!

till then, stay blessed!!!

Hi Labora2,

Egig betam ameseginalhu!!! i really hv no word bro to thank you enough!!
Egizabihar yibarikh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wished i could c you in person, perhaps sooner or latter we will! y za sew yibelen fetari!!

i hope now i will manage it and will let you know the status soon!!!

till then, stay blessed!!!
Hi kidame,
Hulum neger beselam endisakalih mignote new. Hopefully the local police will respond to you positively. Wish you all the best and good luck.

Yes I remember her, fikaleb.
Thank God she got an interview date so near. I was afraid they might push her farther away to the end of the fiscal year. It is so great for her. As u said it, things are currently so reassuring at the US embassy in Addis. I wish everyone going to be interviewed in Addis a happy ending. God be with all of us.

hi labora and other forum members 2day i have successful interview experience of the girl i told u about

she just went to addis ababa embassy at 1:30 and had very simple interview
here is the the question asked
CO:do u swear to tell the truth
Girl:yes
CO:have u ever been married before
Girl:no
CO:do u have any children
CO:what is your highest level of education and from where
Girl:Bsc degree from xx university
CO:go and take your visa next Monday from Abyssinia bank
These are all the question asked.glory be to God

hi labora and other forum members 2day i have successful interview experience of the girl i told u about

she just went to addis ababa embassy at 1:30 and had very simple interview
here is the the question asked
CO:do u swear to tell the truth
Girl:yes
CO:have u ever been married before
CO:do u have any children
CO:what is your highest level of education and from where
Girl:Bsc degree from xx university
CO:go and take your visa next Monday from Abyssinia bank
These are all the question asked.glory be to God
That is so great, fikaleb. Obviously, the COs at the embassy in Addis are so friendly. I am sure this trend will continue till the end of the fiscal year. I wish you and all other winners going to the interview in the remaining part of the fiscal year all the best. God be with all of us.

Hi 2day was my appointment day at immigration office after 33days for my passport and i stayed there from 1pm to 8pm still am appointed to next tuesday to take my passport but am ok with that .the problem is with my wife's passport,in the application form it asks place of birth and she wrote the right address that she has been using in her whole documents including her birth certificate.id card,dv app,and academic certificates but they tried to change the name claiming spelling error.she wrote djiru in her place of birth but they corrected as jiru and dont want to listen to her.we just ceased the process coz this might be a problem in the embassy even for her latter applications.what do u advice us to do?especially labora,u might know such things coz u r the most experience person among us

Today was the interview date
My appointment was at the US embassy in Lomé on January at 8:00 am.
I reached at the embassy at 7:30 am (embassy 5mn from my housse). I'm the third person of 4 (with 2 family).
At 8:15 the security let us enter in the check room in wich they check passport and 2NL when I was suprised (after giving my passport) to be informed by security guard that my name is not on the appointment list they had and told me to wait that Ihad to call consul office.
I've waited for 3mn and the guard call me and told me to speak with a officer on telephone.
the officer asked me to spell my full name (i did) and he told me to wait.
after 3mn he phone the security gate and the guard call me again, the officer told me to give my appointment letter to the guard who brougth to him.
after 5mn the officer call again and told me to give him my phone number (what i did) and told me that he will call me (by telephone) to give me a new appointment date. and I left. that was step one of my interview.
God is my way.

Hi 2day was my appointment day at immigration office after 33days for my passport and i stayed there from 1pm to 8pm still am appointed to next tuesday to take my passport but am ok with that .the problem is with my wife's passport,in the application form it asks place of birth and she wrote the right address that she has been using in her whole documents including her birth certificate.id card,dv app,and academic certificates but they tried to change the name claiming spelling error.she wrote djiru in her place of birth but they corrected as jiru and dont want to listen to her.we just ceased the process coz this might be a problem in the embassy even for her latter applications.what do u advice us to do?especially labora,u might know such things coz u r the most experience person among us
Hi fikaleb,
I don't think this is a major issue. The embassy counter-checks the spelling of her name and her date of birth in her documents especially on her passport and birth certificate. They have clearly written (on the sheet of paper they listed documents needed for the interview) that names and birth dates should be the same on passports and birth certificates. The specific place of birth is not an issue. What is important is that she is born in Ethiopia. What they put on the immigrant visa is also her country of birth, not the specific city. Even if we say it is important, Djiru and Jiru are not different places. They will definitely understand that it is the same place. For eg, some people write their birth city as Gondar and some as Gonder. These are not big deals and you don't need to bother about them. Don't also forget that the COs have Ethiopian advisors with them who clarify such things if needed. As for me, this is not a big issue to worry about. If the next time u go to immigration and fill the form for her, it will be good if they accept your explanation. If they don't, I think you just get her passport. Good luck. By the way, who is the primary applicant?