• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

I know what the manual says. However I have no idea as to precisely what you’re trying to say above.
correct me if I am wrong please but as per this manual ,it looks like

Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. I might not end up OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved .

I have considered TPS as COS

correct me if I am wrong please but as per this manual ,it looks like

Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. I might not end up OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved .

I have considered TPS as COS
Aren’t you overlooking something in your case? You already had one COS application in the system, the asylum application which you filed for before later on filing for TPS, is that not correct? You might want to refresh yourself with this previous response which I provided to you back on May 6.

Aren’t you overlooking something in your case? You already had one COS application in the system, the asylum application which you filed for before later on filing for TPS, is that not correct? You might want to refresh yourself with this previous response which I provided to you back on May 6.
now we are standing on a page of TPS approval before filing for AOS . could you please rephrase your comment with that in consideration ? so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. I might not end up OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ?

much appreciated thank you

now we are standing on a page of TPS approval before filing for AOS . could you please rephrase your comment with that in consideration ? so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. I might not end up OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ?

My previous response still stands. There’s nothing for me to rephrase, and I’m quoting it below, verbatim:

Since you filed for asylum first, when your current valid status as a visitor expires your new status will be asylum pending, even if you now file for TPS before your current valid status expires. So when you subsequently file for AOS, you will be submitting your application as asylum pending, unless you plan on waiting for TPS approval before filing for AOS”.

My previous response still stands. There’s nothing for me to rephrase, and I’m quoting it below, verbatim:

Since you filed for asylum first, when your current valid status as a visitor expires your new status will be asylum pending, even if you now file for TPS before your current valid status expires. So when you subsequently file for AOS, you will be submitting your application as asylum pending, unless you plan on waiting for TPS approval before filing for AOS”.
excuse me but what I am literally trying to say is now my TPS is approved
so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. IO will not consider me OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ?

so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. IO will not consider me OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ?

Well if only you had outrightly stated your TPS has now been approved, we wouldn’t have been having these back and forth posts! Based on the said approval, when is your TPS status effective from?

Well if only you had outrightly stated your TPS has now been approved, we wouldn’t have been having these back and forth posts! Based on the said approval, when is your TPS status effective from?
There is one month gap between my TPS approval and B2 expired date . However my TPS is applied before B2 expired.

There is one month gap between my TPS approval and B2 expired date . However my TPS is applied before B2 expired.
Wait. One month gap between TPS approval and B2 status expiration date? How is that considering on May 6th you had stated your B2 was valid until June, and had applied for asylum in January; and then on May 12th, you returned to state you had also put in an expedited TPS application submission? And now on May 21st, you’re saying you have the TPS approval, and there’s a one month gap between the approval date (which has supposedly happened), and status expiration date (which is yet to happen per your first post)? I don’t get it!

I’m not necessarily trying to call you out, I’m just having a tough time with understanding what’s going on. So at this point, I think it is better for me to stop providing any further response to your situation about if you may or may not be OOO at any point in time. Happy to keep providing further guidance on DV processing related questions as needed of course.

Wait. One month gap between TPS approval and B2 status expiration date? How is that considering on May 6th you had stated your B2 was valid until June, and had applied for asylum in January; and then on May 12th, you returned to state you had also put in an expedited TPS application submission? And now on May 21st, you’re saying you have the TPS approval, and there’s a one month gap between the approval date (which has supposedly happened), and status expiration date (which is yet to happen per your first post)? I don’t get it!

I’m not necessarily trying to call you out, I’m just having a tough time with understanding what’s going on. So at this point, I think it is better for me to stop providing any further response to your situation about if you may or may not be OOO at any point in time. Happy to keep providing further guidance on DV processing related questions as needed of course.
can please please focus on the below only I am creating a scenario here and please if you can focus only on it and address my question thank you . I will rewrite my question below

so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. IO will not consider me OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ? There is one month gap between my TPS approval and B2 expired date . However my TPS is applied before B2 expired.

can please please focus on the below only I am creating a scenario here and please if you can focus only on it and address my question thank you . I will rewrite my question below

so now Provided I applied for TPS while on B2 status,even if TPS is approved after B2 status expired. IO will not consider me OOS in between the time B2 expired to TPS approved . correct ? There is one month gap between my TPS approval and B2 expired date . However my TPS is applied before B2 expired.

You don’t seem to realize the devil is in the details (like the saying goes) when it comes to immigration related matters. If I was charging you $250 to $350 for a 15 to 30 minutes consultation per session, will you be using the session to ask hypothetical questions? I don’t think so.

I consider speculating or answering hypothetical questions a complete waste of time (of both mine and that of the person asking), that is why I do not entertain such. Don’t ask me questions like “now my TPS is approved” when your TPS approval is still pending as a matter of fact. I ask you to kindly respect my time by not presenting hypothetical scenarios to me and asking me to respond to such as factual.

You don’t seem to realize the devil is in the details (like the saying goes) when it comes to immigration related matters. If I was charging you $250 to $350 for a 15 to 30 minutes consultation per session, will you be using the session to ask hypothetical questions? I don’t think so.

I consider speculating or answering hypothetical questions a complete waste of time (of both mine and that of the person asking), that is why I do not entertain such. Don’t ask me questions like “now my TPS is approved” when your TPS approval is still pending as a matter of fact. I ask you to kindly respect my time by not presenting hypothetical scenarios to me and asking me to respond to such as factual.
Dear Sm1smom,

I truly appreciate the support from you Sm1smom. Once, I mentioned that your support is priceless because even with payment, I could never receive such valuable assistance.

However, today I believe I was misunderstood due to the way I asked my questions. English is my second language, and I struggle to express my questions clearly, which might have led to the misunderstanding. My apologies.

I have mentioned that I have been approved for TPS to make the story and question short because my main question is about being considered out of status (OOS) between the period of TPS application and approval considering TPS applied while in B2 visa Status but approved while visa expires .

I will rephrase my question again.

When I asked:
"If USCIS approves my TPS after May, which is after my B2 visa expires, let's say around October 2024, and I applied for TPS while still in status, will the time from May to October (the duration between TPS application and TPS approval) be considered as a status gap (period of being out of status)?"

You replied mentioning that it would be considered an OOS period, but the information below seems to suggest otherwise. Am I wrong?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Extension of Stay or Change of Status
A noncitizen may file an adjustment application after the expiration of their nonimmigrant status while their timely-filed EOS or COS application is pending. In such cases, the officer should defer adjudication of the adjustment application until USCIS adjudicates the EOS or COS application, as long as there are no other grounds for denial.

If USCIS ultimately approves the EOS or COS application, then the noncitizen is considered to be in lawful immigration status on the date the adjustment application is filed. If USCIS denies the EOS or COS application, then the noncitizen is generally considered to be in unlawful immigration status as of the expiration of their current nonimmigrant status and likewise on the date the adjustment application is filed. In this instance, the INA 245(c)(2) bar would apply unless an exemption is available.

in other official reference as well it states
Volume 7, Part B, Chapter 2, Section A (Authorized Periods of Stay):
"USCIS considers an applicant for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) to be in a period of authorized stay while the application is pending."

Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
8 CFR § 244.10 - Temporary Protected Status

The CFR clearly states that an alien with a pending TPS application is considered to be in a period of authorized stay.

8 CFR § 244.10(f)(2):
"During the period in which a registration for Temporary Protected Status is pending, an alien shall not be deemed to be unlawfully present in the United States."

Once again, I apologize for any disappointment I caused and please comment on this

Thank you.

Hi everyone, this is an AOS related question.

If I happen to be in the US and wanted to pay the DV fee to the State Department in Missouri but my DS-260 is still indicating Consular Processing and I decide to exit the US later on and continue with Consular processing. Would that have any kind of impact on me proceeding with consular processing? Would that change anything with my case? I don't mind losing the fees if I end up sticking with CP.

Would paying the fees while being in the US then exiting will cause trouble for me to re-enter the US (aside from the Dual intent issue which I am aware of?). I just want to make the payment in case the circumstances allow me LAWFULLY to adjust status way before my case number is current and still proceed with CP if not needing to adjust.

Last edited:
I just want to make the payment in case the circumstances allow me LAWFULLY to adjust status way before my case number is current and still proceed with CP if not needing to adjust.
I think mom can better explain why you can’t concurrently have CP and AoS processes going, but i just wanted to point out you seem to have a misconception here. You cannot adjust status before your case number is current. You can file your package earlier according to the early filing memo, but you cannot complete adjustment before a visa number is available to you, and that will only happen when your case number is current. In fact, depending on when you’re current and how your FO handles things, with AoS there is the possibility that even if you file early, your actual interview/adjustment might only take place months after the month in which your number becomes current.

I think mom can better explain why you can’t concurrently have CP and AoS processes going, but i just wanted to point out you seem to have a misconception here. You cannot adjust status before your case number is current. You can file your package earlier according to the early filing memo, but you cannot complete adjustment before a visa number is available to you, and that will only happen when your case number is current. In fact, depending on when you’re current and how your FO handles things, with AoS there is the possibility that even if you file early, your actual interview/adjustment might only take place months after the month in which your number becomes current.
I actually already explained to the OP the fact that they cannot concurrently pursue both options about two weeks ago in this post.

Hello!

First, I want to express my gratitude to sm1smom for putting in so much effort to help others, the info here is incredibly valuable. I have read through the comprehensive information provided and wanted to get some feedback on the plan I elaborated.

This is the situation:
  • My partner won the DV lottery 2025 and has a case number below 500 (Asia).
  • We are both on F-1, graduated in May 2024. We applied for OPT in March 2024, so before the lottery results were published, and our OPT is set to start mid-July.
  • We will get married soon, so after the results were published, we are together since a longer time, and have plenty of proof for a genuine relationship.
This is the plan:
  • Each of us will file DS-260 with the CN as soon as we have our marriage certificate to create a paper trail and inform KCC of our intention to proceed through AOS, as suggested.
  • We will pay the fee of $330 per person with one cashier’s check of $660 and include the DV case number.
  • Each of us will prepare all other documents required as listed by USCIS website (Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program), excluding court records and I-601, as not relevant.
  • Each of us will prepare to send the I-485 with all required documents to arrive on or after October 1, 2024, to avoid rejection and delays, as suggested. I assume the low case number will immediately be current with the start of FY25.
My questions:

1. Are we behind with anything, anything we forgot, or should improve/consider?
2. Do we need to maintain F-1 / OPT status after submitting the I-485, and how would filing I-765 impact that?
3. Should we consider NOT filling the DS-260 for any reasons in our situation?
4. The AOS package page of the spreadsheet lists documents regarding financial support, I do not see this listed under required documents for the I-485 on the USCIS page. Where does this info come from, and do we need to provide such in our case?

Please excuse me if anything I ask is answered somewhere, I tried my best to avoid unneccessary questions. It is pretty overwhelming at the moment. Thank you!

Hello!

First, I want to express my gratitude to sm1smom for putting in so much effort to help others, the info here is incredibly valuable. I have read through the comprehensive information provided and wanted to get some feedback on the plan I elaborated.

This is the situation:
  • We are both on F-1, graduated in May 2024. We applied for OPT in March 2024, so before the lottery results were published, and our OPT is set to start mid-July.
  • We will get married soon, so after the results were published, we are together since a longer time, and have plenty of proof for a genuine relationship.
This is the plan:
  • Each of us will file DS-260 with the CN as soon as we have our marriage certificate to create a paper trail and inform KCC of our intention to proceed through AOS, as suggested.
  • We will pay the fee of $330 per person with one cashier’s check of $660 and include the DV case number.
  • Each of us will prepare all other documents required as listed by USCIS website (Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program), excluding court records and I-601, as not relevant.
  • Each of us will prepare to send the I-485 with all required documents to arrive on or after October 1, 2024, to avoid rejection and delays, as suggested. I assume the low case number will immediately be current with the start of FY25.
My questions:

2. Do we need to maintain F-1 / OPT status after submitting the I-485, and how would filing I-765 impact that?
4. The AOS package page of the spreadsheet lists documents regarding financial support, I do not see this listed under required documents for the I-485 on the USCIS page. Where does this info come from, and do we need to provide such in our case?

Please excuse me if anything I ask is answered somewhere, I tried my best to avoid unneccessary questions. It is pretty overwhelming at the moment. Thank you!

I am new myself, just like you. However, from what I have learned from this thread, I'm trying to give back. I hope this is the only way I can repay the priceless support of sm1smom and the rest of the active team here. I will address only the parts of your question that I feel able to handle, leaving the rest to the experts. I am still open to being corrected if I am wrong about any of it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Do we need to maintain F-1 / OPT status after submitting the I-485, and how would filing I-765 impact that?​

• Maintaining F-1 / OPT Status: Once you file your I-485, you are in a period of authorized stay and do not necessarily need to maintain your F-1 or OPT status. However, it is generally recommended to maintain your current status until your I-485 is approved, as it provides a backup if your AOS is denied.
  • Filing I-765: Filing for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) using Form I-765 along with your I-485 is a good idea. It allows you to work while your AOS is pending. The EAD will provide more flexibility and you won't need to rely on your OPT status.

In your situation, deciding whether to file the DS-260 involves weighing the benefits of creating a record with the KCC against potential implications for future nonimmigrant visa applications if your DV AOS does not succeed.

Considerations for Filing DS-260:​

1. Establishing Intent with KCC:
    • Filing the DS-260 shows your intention to immigrate and allows the KCC to process your case, which is necessary for the AOS process.
  2. Case Number Processing:
    • A very low case number (below 500 for Asia) means your case will likely become current at the start of the fiscal year. Filing the DS-260 promptly helps ensure there are no delays.
  3. AOS Advantages:
    • For AOS applicants, having the DS-260 on file ensures that your case is in the system and can be matched with your I-485 application when you file it.

Considerations for Not Filing DS-260:​

1. Future Nonimmigrant Visa Applications:
    • Filing the DS-260 does indicate an intention to immigrate, which could complicate future applications for nonimmigrant visas (e.g., F-1, H-1B, B-1/B-2) if your AOS application is denied. Consular officers could see your previous DS-260 filing as evidence of immigrant intent.
  2. Contingency Planning:
    • If you don't file the DS-260 and your AOS is denied, you could argue that you never formally declared immigrant intent through the DS-260, possibly making it easier to apply for nonimmigrant visas in the future. However, your I-485 filing still indicates immigrant intent, so this benefit might be limited.

Balancing the Decision:​

Given your specific situation and the low case number, here is a balanced approach:

1. Submit the DS-260:
    • Given the importance of timely processing and your low case number, it is advisable to submit the DS-260. This helps ensure that your DV case is properly tracked and prioritized.
  2. Maintain Nonimmigrant Status:
    • Continue to maintain your F-1/OPT status and ensure you have a backup plan. This provides a safety net in case your AOS is denied, allowing you to remain in the U.S. legally and reapply or address any issues that led to the denial.
  3. Strong AOS Application:
    • Focus on submitting a strong I-485 application with all required documents, including financial support evidence and a complete and accurate record of your relationship and eligibility. This minimizes the risk of denial.
  4. Future Visa Applications:
    • If your AOS is denied and you need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa in the future, be prepared to explain your situation clearly and demonstrate ties to your home country if necessary. The fact that you applied for a green card does not automatically preclude you from obtaining a nonimmigrant visa, but you will need to provide compelling reasons why you intend to return to your home country after your temporary stay.

Summary:​

While not filing the DS-260 could slightly mitigate concerns about future nonimmigrant visa applications, the benefits of filing it—ensuring timely processing and clear communication with the KCC—outweigh the potential drawbacks. Focus on maintaining your current status and submitting a strong AOS application to maximize your chances of success.

4. The AOS package page of the spreadsheet lists documents regarding financial support, I do not see this listed under required documents for the I-485 on the USCIS page. Where does this info come from, and do we need to provide such in our case?​

• Financial Support Documents: While the USCIS page may not explicitly list financial support documents for DV lottery applicants, it's a general requirement for AOS applicants to prove they won't become a public charge. This is typically done through Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. However, DV lottery applicants usually submit Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, if required.
    Since you are both F-1 students, showing financial stability is important. You can provide:
    • Bank statements showing sufficient funds.
    • Employment letters if you have job offers.
    • Any other evidence of assets or income.
    • Although not always explicitly required, providing these documents can preempt any questions about your financial status and strengthen your application.
    • moreover Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, if required.

Summary of Additional Recommendations:​

• Early Marriage: Get married as soon as possible to have your marriage certificate ready for the DS-260 and subsequent filings.
  • Complete Documentation: Ensure all necessary documents, including financial support evidence, are ready.
  • Maintain Status: Try to maintain your F-1/OPT status until you receive your EAD, even though it's not mandatory after filing I-485.
  • Proactive Communication: Stay in touch with the KCC and USCIS for any updates or additional document requests.

Your preparation seems robust, and with these additional considerations, you should be well on your way to successfully adjusting your status. Good luck with your AOS process!

Last edited:
Hello!

This is the situation:
This is the plan:
My questions:

1. Your CN is quite low. Go ahead and get ready now or ASAP, in order to be able to proceed with the next steps such as submitting the DS260 forms, making the DV administrative fee payment, completing the medical reports (you cannot initiate any of these 3 without being married first), and putting together your documents to enable you file as soon as your CN becomes current.
2. Filing an AOS based I-765 has no impact on your current status. However use of an approved AOS based I-765 automatically terminates your current status and puts you in what is known as adjustment pending status. Also be aware of the additional fees tied to filing an AOS based I-765. It is therefore highly recommended to maintain current valid status (where/when possible) until your AOS applications gets adjudicated. Having a valid status throughout the process ensures you have a fall back status in the unlikely event the AOS applications gets denied.
3. While DS260 submission is not mandatory for DV based AOS filing, its submission is recommended especially in this case as you were not listed on the initial entry submission. DS260 not only enables you to have a paper trail of your relationship, it also helps the KCC with forecasting the VB progression as it provides more insights into the number of selectees planning on proceeding with their DV selection. You do not gain ANYTHING with not submitting the DS260 - non submission of this form will not absolve you of having an immigrant intent, if you were to file for a NIV in the future if for some reason the AOS application gets denied.
4. Take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS process spreadsheet.

Overall recommendation: spend some more quality time going over the AOS process spreadsheet. There are several tabs on it, carefully go over each one of them. Also review the DV Tracker - Unique Cases spreadsheet. This tool equally has a couple of tabs you should carefully go over.

Considerations for Not Filing DS-260:​

1. Future Nonimmigrant Visa Applications:
    • Filing the DS-260 does indicate an intention to immigrate, which could complicate future applications for nonimmigrant visas (e.g., F-1, H-1B, B-1/B-2) if your AOS application is denied. Consular officers could see your previous DS-260 filing as evidence of immigrant intent.
  2. Contingency Planning:
    • If you don't file the DS-260 and your AOS is denied, you could argue that you never formally declared immigrant intent through the DS-260, possibly making it easier to apply for nonimmigrant visas in the future. However, your I-485 filing still indicates immigrant intent, so this benefit might be limited.
There’s no benefit to not filing the DS260 (outside of the time required to fill and submit the form) if an I-485 has been submitted. The I-485 submission is as strong a demonstration/declaration of an immigrant intent as the DS260 submission. There’s no arguing against a demonstrated/declared immigrant intent, be it with a USCIS IO or a DHS CO following the filing of an I-485, even if a DS260 was never submitted. As a matter of fact, the DV administrative fee payment on its own (which goes to the DHS by the way) signifies harboring an immigrant intent which may be hard to argue against.

There’s no benefit to not filing the DS260 (outside of the time required to fill and submit the form) if an I-485 has been submitted. The I-485 submission is as strong a demonstration/declaration of an immigrant intent as the DS260 submission. There’s no arguing against a demonstrated/declared immigrant intent, be it with a USCIS IO or a DHS CO following the filing of an I-485, even if a DS260 was never submitted. As a matter of fact, the DV administrative fee payment on its own (which goes to the DHS by the way) signifies harboring an immigrant intent which may be hard to argue against.
consulate office have direct access of anything on Department of state database so DS260 submission is easy to spot but everything you said is true after all you are declaring your intent for the US GOV database in general even with I-485

2. Do we need to maintain F-1 / OPT status after submitting the I-485, and how would filing I-765 impact that?​

• Maintaining F-1 / OPT Status: Once you file your I-485, you are in a period of authorized stay and do not necessarily need to maintain your F-1 or OPT status. However, it is generally recommended to maintain your current status until your I-485 is approved, as it provides a backup if your AOS is denied.
  • Filing I-765: Filing for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) using Form I-765 along with your I-485 is a good idea. It allows you to work while your AOS is pending. The EAD will provide more flexibility and you won't need to rely on your OPT status.
While working with an AOS based EAD may provide more flexibility and avoid relying on OPT status in order to work may sound like a good idea, the cons against it actually makes it not worth it IMO:
1. There’s the additional cost of filing for a this work authorization which at most is valid for less than one year to take into consideration (AOS based I-765 is no longer free).
2. It becomes a useless piece of card once the applicable DV FY is over.
3. Using an AOS based EAD automatically invalidates whatever the current valid status is - which means no fall back status if AOS is denied. And if there’s no fall back valid status, AOS cannot be re-filled even if there’s still time remaining in the FY to submit a new application.