• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your selection for DV 2025

This Thread is intended for DV 2025 selectees currently based in the US who wish to proceed with their selection by processing AOS (Adjustment of Status).

The AOS process may initially seem complicated and confusing; and you probably have a gazillion questions to ask. But before you start posting those questions, please take some time and go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet (link below). It has a step by step guide on DV based AOS process. Note, there are several tabs/sheets on the spreadsheet, you’re encouraged to go through them all. If you have follow up questions AFTER going through the spreadsheet, then feel free to post them on this Thread.

Be sure to also take advantage of the DV 2024 Timeline Spreadsheet for tracking your progress once you get started. Don't wait until you've completed the process before updating the spreadsheet, updating it as you progress along will be helpful to you and your fellow AOSers.

Another useful tool put together for your benefit is the DV Tracker - Unique Situations Spreadsheet - this spreadsheet contains summarized information about certain cases such as those denied due to early filing, outcome of cases for asylum pending DV filers, cases/FOs with waived interviews, follow to join (FTJ) outcomes, etc. You’re encouraged to review this tool also.

DISCLAIMER:
The spreadsheet is a GUIDE based on collections of experience - it is not USCIS sanctioned (but definitely more detailed than any information you can get directly from USCIS - either in person or on the phone). It is also a lot more reliable than what you will get from most immigration attorneys. However, please remember, while you may be relying on this spreadsheet and the subsequent guidance you will get in this forum free of charge, you're still personally responsible for your own case at the end of the day.

Good luck!

Link to AOS Process Spreadsheet
Link to DV Tracker - Unique Situations Spreadsheet
Link to DV 2024 AOS Timeline Spreadsheet

NOTE:
DS260 form submission is not compulsory for AOSers, however, submitting it is encouraged/recommended. And if you're wondering "how do I complete the DS260 form"? Completing the DS260 for DV lottery entrants by Simon is your go to source.

Selected, ranking is around EU23000. Hope to complete the process as soon as possible with no issues!

Hello. 2025OC3XXX which I know is high. I’m currently in US on J1 visa which I can renew June next year.
1. I read through the spreadsheet and what I understood was I need to wait to send anything as my number may not even become current. Correct?
2. Something I didn’t understand. If I don’t do the DS260, what triggers the 2NL for AOS? Do I need to do anything?

Hello. 2025OC3XXX which I know is high. I’m currently in US on J1 visa which I can renew June next year.
1. I read through the spreadsheet and what I understood was I need to wait to send anything as my number may not even become current. Correct?
2. Something I didn’t understand. If I don’t do the DS260, what triggers the 2NL for AOS? Do I need to do anything?
1. Correct.
2. Go through the FAQ section of the AOS spreadsheet.

I won today!

It's not clear to me the next step - do we fill out the DS-260 form? Or is it not required for USCIS (AOS) ?

Thanks for any help - it is quite confusing the wording for people here on an existing visa. (or just my excitement getting in the way)

I won today!

It's not clear to me the next step - do we fill out the DS-260 form? Or is it not required for USCIS (AOS) ?

Thanks for any help - it is quite confusing the wording for people here on an existing visa. (or just my excitement getting in the way)
Did you read the first post on this thread?

Thanks, missed that. Read it now, amazing resource. Answer was not required, but recommended to submit form DS-260. Will go and do that now to get my 2NL!
Before you complete your DS-260 today (no major rush), I would look at what your case number is, what your current status is, etc.

If you have a high CN you might not get called for interview and don’t want to risk your non-immigrant status.

If you let forum users know, we’ll be able to give you some insight.

Hi, I am an asylum seeker, 47 years old, my case is pending. I came to USA with H1B legally with my family and kids. I applied asylum due to fear of returning my home country. My homeland consulate did not issue me legal passport, too. Due to I do not have legal passport I ca not extend my H1B visa and I filed my Asylum case. Now, I have EAD card, living and working legally. I know my status is pending, not a proper legal status. My son, dependent to me in asylum, 19 years old, college student, applied DV lottery and HE WON the lottery. I want to start AOS but I have lots of questions. I read the spreadsheet in asylum pending session, it is said that some people in my status luckily treated positive but it is not guaranteed. What do you recommend me to do? I want to file DS-260 but they asked valid travel document, which he does not have, he actually does not need a travel document, we are in the USA already. Do you recommend I need to continue processing with a lawyer or I can handle it my ourself. I actually filed my I-589, I-765 myself without any help, I handled them by myself. Thank you.

Hi, I am an asylum seeker, 47 years old, my case is pending. I came to USA with H1B legally with my family and kids. I applied asylum due to fear of returning my home country. My homeland consulate did not issue me legal passport, too. Due to I do not have legal passport I ca not extend my H1B visa and I filed my Asylum case. Now, I have EAD card, living and working legally. I know my status is pending, not a proper legal status. My son, dependent to me in asylum, 19 years old, college student, applied DV lottery and HE WON the lottery. I want to start AOS but I have lots of questions. I read the spreadsheet in asylum pending session, it is said that some people in my status luckily treated positive but it is not guaranteed. What do you recommend me to do? I want to file DS-260 but they asked valid travel document, which he does not have, he actually does not need a travel document, we are in the USA already. Do you recommend I need to continue processing with a lawyer or I can handle it my ourself. I actually filed my I-589, I-765 myself without any help, I handled them by myself. Thank you.
I cannot recommend if your son should proceed with processing the DV selection or not, knowing he may or may not be approved. You guys will therefore need to decide on your own if it is worth giving this a shot. If you’re struggling with meeting the requirements of filling and submitting the DS260 form, you can skip this. DS260 submission is not a must for DV based AOS processing. This forum is a DIY site, majority of the folks here are processing on their own based on the wealth of information readily available for free in this forum. You’ll need to decide on your own wether you should be engaging the services of a lawyer or not.

I cannot recommend if your son should proceed with processing the DV selection or not, knowing he may or may not be approved. You guys will therefore need to decide on your own if it is worth giving this a shot. If you’re struggling with meeting the requirements of filling and submitting the DS260 form, you can skip this. DS260 submission is not a must for DV based AOS processing. This forum is a DIY site, majority of the folks here are processing on their own based on the wealth of information readily available for free in this forum. You’ll need to decide on your own wether you should be engaging the services of a lawyer or not.
Thank you for the feedback...

Thank you for the incredible resources and your patient replies!

I am planning on taking the AOS route as an E-3 NIV holder. I have a pretty high case number 20250C000026XX and am not willing to jeopardize my current visa until it's absolutely required. I had a look at the September 2023 bulletin and saw they stopped at 2500 total for my region. 2024 doen't look like they will get beyond this number either. I guess my question is do they 'open up' the case numbers in the last month or so to get to a quota if they haven't filled all the slots? It seems like we are just outside of a probable green card chance here...

Thanks in advance.

I am planning on taking the AOS route as an E-3 NIV holder. I have a pretty high case number 20250C000026XX and am not willing to jeopardize my current visa until it's absolutely required. I had a look at the September 2023 bulletin and saw they stopped at 2500 total for my region. 2024 doen't look like they will get beyond this number either. I guess my question is do they 'open up' the case numbers in the last month or so to get to a quota if they haven't filled all the slots? It seems like we are just outside of a probable green card chance here...

Thanks in advance.
I’m sorry I’m unable to answer your question as I do not engage in VB analysis or the factors responsible for CN cutoff. Maybe Simon or someone else may know, and hopefully they will come across your question and may be able to answer it.

Hi @Nik88,

I was a 2024DV winner from OC region - currently still going through the AOS process (fingers crossed).

1. You do have quite a high CN, so I personally wouldn't do anything showing immigration intent at the moment, so as not to jeopardize any future nonimmigrant visa's.
2. I did not complete the DS260, but the payment of the DV administration fee is what usually triggers the 2NL for the AOS, if you choose not to submit the DS260.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I was a DV2024 OC winner, also on E3. I am still going through the AOS process with a CN of OC16xx (my number became current for June). I held off as long as possible to start the process as I had the same thought as you for not wanting to jeopardize our current visa or future plans if needed.

I would suggest going back and looking at all past visa bulletins - they go back to 2002. You'll see the number of times that OC26xx became current and that should at least give you some idea of the likelihood.

In relation to your question, there have been times when the case numbers go 'current' which means any number above the last bulletin now has the chance to apply. The visa bulletin would also show how many times that has happened and in what month.

If I was in your situation, I would read through the spreadsheet and understand what is required to submit for AOS but I probably wouldn't complete or do anything which required finances or shows immigration intent.

Sm1smom, could you be my mom until I am done with my AOS ? ;););) am among DV-2025 selectees Case Number: 2025AF00001XXX and here in USA with B2 visa to be expired on June 2024 . I applied for Affirmative asylum on January.

1. As my B-2 visa is due to expire shortly, I am sure my AOS processing time will go beyond the validity period of my current non-immigrant status and applying on Asylum (I-589) Pending is risky .however, I am from country which qualify me for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) registration. Could TPS status be considered valid status for my AOS via DV if I got registered for TPS before my B-2 expires ?

2. Would registration for TPS only enough or I have to wait until I got my TSP approval to apply for AOS ?

3. just to confirm ,

3.1 priority date for DV2025 selectees is from October 1, 2024 to September 30, 2025 ,and it solely depends on case number being current in FY2025,correct ?

3.2 DV2025 selectees can only apply for AOS the latest on October 2024 provided that selectees have current CN , correct?

all your and Simon resources are priceless I hope you drive your satisfaction from helping others

Last edited:
Sm1smom, could you be my mom until I am done with my AOS ? ;););) am among DV-2025 selectees Case Number: 2025AF00001XXX and here in USA with B2 visa to be expired on June 2024 . I applied for Affirmative asylum on January.

1. As my B-2 visa is due to expire shortly, I am sure my AOS processing time will go beyond the validity period of my current non-immigrant status and applying on Asylum (I-589) Pending is risky .however, I am from country which qualify me for Temporary Protected Status (TPS) registration. Could TPS status be considered valid status for my AOS via DV if I got registered for TPS before my B-2 expires ?

2. Would registration for TPS only enough or I have to wait until I got my TSP approval to apply for AOS ?

3. just to confirm ,

3.1 priority date for DV2025 selectees is from October 1, 2024 to September 30, 2025 ,and it solely depends on case number being current in FY2025,correct ?

3.2 DV2025 selectees can only apply for AOS the latest on October 2024 provided that selectees have current CN , correct?

all your and Simon resources are priceless I hope you drive your satisfaction from helping others
lol …

1. Your CN is very low, it should be current in October which is the official start of your FY. Unfortunately, your visitor’s status would have expired before you become eligible to file for AOS as a matter of fact (and not just before you complete the process). The earliest you can file for AOS is October (or August/September if taking advantage of early filing which I typically don’t recommend for folks who are current in Oct., first month of the FY). So if you’re eligible to apply for TPS before your current status expires, you can go ahead and file for TPS ASAP, since you can AOS from an approved TPS compared to asylum pending. In order to be successful with filing for AOS with TPS status, you will need to withdraw your pending asylum application though just so you know.
2. You can apply for AOS while the TPS application is pending, the AOS application however will not be approved until after the TPS application has been approved. I have how long it takes for TPS applications to get approved, that is something you’ll need to research on your own though in order to decide if the switch will be worth it. In the other hand, it is not too late to withdraw the asylum application, depart from the US before your current status expires and process CP from your home base if able to safely do so.
3. Correct.

you will need to withdraw your pending asylum application though just so you know.
Mom , why ? I cannot have two immigration status but since Asylum pending is not status , having TPS status won’t be considered as having dual status and it won’t affect my AOS . Would it ? Please enlighten me