• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hello! I am currently on an F1 student visa and have been selected for further processing. Three days before the lottery, I was awarded a full ride scholarship to a prestigious college so I want to confirm I am doing this right and not bringing a risk to my visa and scholarship.

Looking at the spreadsheet, my CN (2025OC000031XX) would be considered high and not worth proceeding with the process until the visa bulletin says "Current" or a number higher than mine. So, in that case, I should be sure to have documents gathered and be familiar with medical exams. If my number becomes current or the bulletin indicates a "CURRENT/C" for my region (Oceania), I should proceed with immediately paying the fee and sending my AOS package to the lockbox (which would be Early Filing if it is a future number).

IF this was successful, the main steps after that would be receiving the NOA, biometrics letter, and interview letter. If my number does not become current, I should not take further action as this may bring a risk to my current visa status.

Does this all sound correct? I know I have probably really simplified this process but just wanting to grasp the overall concept.

Thank you for providing such a great resource!

Congratulations and good luck to everyone on this journey! I got selected this year 2025AF 2XX and I am currently in the USA on F2 status, I am considering AOS after going through the pros and cons that my spouse has to maintain F1 status until getting the green card approval which is doable.
My concern is that my spouse got denied for E2 petition / change of status earlier this year. Do you think this might put any risk on the DV AOS at the USCIS? would it be safer to file at consulate?

Hello! I am currently on an F1 student visa and have been selected for further processing. Three days before the lottery, I was awarded a full ride scholarship to a prestigious college so I want to confirm I am doing this right and not bringing a risk to my visa and scholarship.

Looking at the spreadsheet, my CN (2025OC000031XX) would be considered high and not worth proceeding with the process until the visa bulletin says "Current" or a number higher than mine. So, in that case, I should be sure to have documents gathered and be familiar with medical exams. If my number becomes current or the bulletin indicates a "CURRENT/C" for my region (Oceania), I should proceed with immediately paying the fee and sending my AOS package to the lockbox (which would be Early Filing if it is a future number).

IF this was successful, the main steps after that would be receiving the NOA, biometrics letter, and interview letter. If my number does not become current, I should not take further action as this may bring a risk to my current visa status.

Does this all sound correct? I know I have probably really simplified this process but just wanting to grasp the overall concept.

Thank you for providing such a great resource!
Correct to an extent (see the sections in bold below):
"the main steps after that would be receiving the NOA, biometrics letter, and interview letter" or interview waiver depending on the applicable FO's practice.
"I should not take further action as this may bring a risk to my current visa status." - there is no risk to your current status, what could be at risk is future NIV application due to a displayed immigrant intent.

Congratulations and good luck to everyone on this journey! I got selected this year 2025AF 2XX and I am currently in the USA on F2 status, I am considering AOS after going through the pros and cons that my spouse has to maintain F1 status until getting the green card approval which is doable.
My concern is that my spouse got denied for E2 petition / change of status earlier this year. Do you think this might put any risk on the DV AOS at the USCIS? would it be safer to file at consulate?
It depends on why the E2 was denied. If the E2 application was denied due to not meeting the requirements for such a change request, it should have no bearing on the outcome of the AOS application. Also if your spouse has never violated their F1 status or fallen out of status at any point in time, the E2 denial should not impact the AOS filing.

Hi, I have a question, I am on an F1 visa and won the DV 2025 lottery my case number is 2025AS00003XXX. When is the right time to apply for DS 260? Can I start my process now?

Hi everybody and congratulations to all the people that have been preselected! (I guess that I should add "if you have a low case number" to that last sentence though). First of all, a special thanks to @Sm1smom for all the great support and value you've provided over years to people in our situation, that spreadsheet is so helpful!!!

I'm on an H1B Visa and have already plans to travel abroad from June to September. My case number is EU00026XXX which at first glance seems to not be great but not too shabby either. I guess that if my number shows up it won't be anytime before April/May.

So, I'm thinking of submitting the DS-260 after September when I'm back to the US; would this make sense? I just feel kind of uneasy about delaying the DS-260 submittal because the Instructions at the DV website clearly states:
"Selected entrants are encouraged to complete the online DS-260 application immediately to schedule an interview appointment at the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate."
1-Am I jeopardizing my case by waiting until September? The instructions make it look like the longer you wait, the more unlikely to get an interview...
2-The other question is if this actually matters in my case since the H1B is a dual intent visa. I have read in the FAQS section that H1B should not worry about submitting the DS260 ahead of time, but that it can be troublesome if travelling out of the US since Border Patrol may deny entry. My understanding is that the Border Patrol can always deny entry for whatever reason they think of; so the question is whether the submittal of DS260 would be a real additional threat to re-enter the US or not.

Thanks ahead for the great support!

Hi, I have a question, I am on an F1 visa and won the DV 2025 lottery my case number is 2025AS00003XXX. When is the right time to apply for DS 260? Can I start my process now?
Go through the first post on page one of this thread, use the links there, especially the link for the AOS Process Spreadsheet which is one of the tools provided to help you understand the process.

Hi everybody and congratulations to all the people that have been preselected! (I guess that I should add "if you have a low case number" to that last sentence though). First of all, a special thanks to @Sm1smom for all the great support and value you've provided over years to people in our situation, that spreadsheet is so helpful!!!

I'm on an H1B Visa and have already plans to travel abroad from June to September. My case number is EU00026XXX which at first glance seems to not be great but not too shabby either. I guess that if my number shows up it won't be anytime before April/May.

So, I'm thinking of submitting the DS-260 after September when I'm back to the US; would this make sense? I just feel kind of uneasy about delaying the DS-260 submittal because the Instructions at the DV website clearly states:
"Selected entrants are encouraged to complete the online DS-260 application immediately to schedule an interview appointment at the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate."
1-Am I jeopardizing my case by waiting until September? The instructions make it look like the longer you wait, the more unlikely to get an interview...
2-The other question is if this actually matters in my case since the H1B is a dual intent visa. I have read in the FAQS section that H1B should not worry about submitting the DS260 ahead of time, but that it can be troublesome if travelling out of the US since Border Patrol may deny entry. My understanding is that the Border Patrol can always deny entry for whatever reason they think of; so the question is whether the submittal of DS260 would be a real additional threat to re-enter the US or not.

1. DS260 submission or non submission (as the case may be, considering the AOS spreadsheet already states DS260 submission is not mandatory for processing AOS) has no bearing on how likely or when you get your interview if you’re processing AOS.
2. Isn’t that more or less what the AOS process spreadsheet says: “… bear in mind submission of form DS260 signifies an immigrant intent. Having a dual intent visa significantly limits the risk, however re-admission is always at the discretion of the CBP officer” regardless.

Go through the first post on page one of this thread, use the links there, especially the link for the AOS Process Spreadsheet which is one of the tools provided to help you understand the process.
In the 2nd step there is written don’t fill the DS 260 if you case the number is high. How can I determine that for Nepal? How can I say if my case number is high?

Thank you for the excellent guide and the support you provide for us. I have a couple of follow-up questions. I am currently in the US on OPT STEM and was selected from Africa with a case number 26xxx, with Egypt as my country of chargeability. Would you consider this a high or low chance of proceeding?

Also, I've noticed that case numbers like mine could potentially become current around June or July in some years. Considering this tight timing, do you think it's wise to pay the DV fee early and complete the medical exams in advance so that I have all the paperwork ready in case it becomes current later in the summer of 2025? I understand that I might forfeit the $330 fee if my case does not become current. Are there other implications if I choose to proceed with this early preparation?

If you are going the AOS route, just don’t submit the DS-260 and save yourself the stress. It really isn’t necessary for the AOS route.

In the 2nd step there is written don’t fill the DS 260 if you case the number is high. How can I determine that for Nepal? How can I say if my case number is high?
You need to look at the past couple of years’ VB to get an idea of when CNs within your range became current, then you will get an idea of if your CN could be high or not.

Thank you for the excellent guide and the support you provide for us. I have a couple of follow-up questions. I am currently in the US on OPT STEM and was selected from Africa with a case number 26xxx, with Egypt as my country of chargeability. Would you consider this a high or low chance of proceeding?

Also, I've noticed that case numbers like mine could potentially become current around June or July in some years. Considering this tight timing, do you think it's wise to pay the DV fee early and complete the medical exams in advance so that I have all the paperwork ready in case it becomes current later in the summer of 2025? I understand that I might forfeit the $330 fee if my case does not become current. Are there other implications if I choose to proceed with this early preparation?
1. I’m sorry I don’t make forecasts re high or low chance.
2. It’s your call.

If you are going the AOS route, just don’t submit the DS-260 and save yourself the stress. It really isn’t necessary for the AOS route.
While the DS260 submission may not be necessary for processing AOS, the form submission is useful information for KCC which could benefit all the selectees in the long run, hence the recommendation for AOSers to submit the form when they can. The submitted form is part of what is used in making decisions about VB progression in the long run, as that information gives KCC insight into the number of selectees planning on proceeding with their selection.

While the DS260 submission may not be necessary for processing AOS, the form submission is useful information for KCC which could benefit all the selectees in the long run, hence the recommendation for AOSers to submit the form when they can. The submitted form is part of what is used in making decisions about VB progression in the long run, as that information gives KCC insight into the number of selectees planning on proceeding with their selection.
I can appreciate that, but when individuals are stressing about the prospect of ruining future NIV opportunities, it's good for them to know that NOT submitting the DS-260 is not going to ruin their AOS prospects. You have it stated in the AOS spreadsheet but I think people often miss that minor detail.

Hello, congratulations to the winners! Please help us determine the best strategy of steps and choices to go through the AOS process.

My boyfriend won the lottery (so that's the time to get married after 10 years of dating). His CN is EU 14XXX. So we will be able to file for AOS (I-485 form) from Feb-Apr, based on the previous VB's.

How many months does KCC usually need to give a decision? Do we have enough time until Sep 2025 to go through the process of Changing status from Humanitarian parole?

Does getting married after winning the lottery make the process longer?

Hello everyone,

if anyone had the same or similar situation as mine and an experience related to that, I would really appreciate if you could share it here. So, here my story:
My family and I, including two children, entered the US in 2017 on a B1/B2 visa. Before our non-immigrant visa expired, we submitted an asylum application and have since been awaiting an interview with an immigration officer. My husband is the main applicant, and my kids and I are listed as dependents under this case. in 2021, due to an emergency back home, I traveled to my home country for 2,5 weeks without obtaining AP. Also, since my passport has been expired while being in the US, once I returned to my country, I renewed my passport. However, I managed re-enter the US using my work authorization and my renewed passport.
In Sept, 2023. I submitted an EB2 NIW case which was approved in Dec of the same year. I am now waiting for visas to become available to file AOS. I am concerned about the high risk of being unable to adjust my status, given that I had no lawful status in the US, only authorized to stay.
Additionally, I was recently selected for the DV lottery (but with a high case number 32K), and now I am uncertain about the best course of actions to take advantage of immigration policies and rules to secure a green card for myself and my family. Any thoughts, advises much appreciated ...Thanks

Hello, congratulations to the winners! Please help us determine the best strategy of steps and choices to go through the AOS process.

My boyfriend won the lottery (so that's the time to get married after 10 years of dating). His CN is EU 14XXX. So we will be able to file for AOS (I-485 form) from Feb-Apr, based on the previous VB's.

How many months does KCC usually need to give a decision? Do we have enough time until Sep 2025 to go through the process of Changing status from Humanitarian parole?

Does getting married after winning the lottery make the process longer?
AOS process from filing to case adjudication could be anywhere between 2 to 4 months (or longer) depending on several factors such as an applicant’s background check clearance, the practice of the FO with jurisdiction over the case, IO’s familiarity with DV based AOS cases, etc. Getting married after selection has no impact on the processing timeline.