• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Hi all,

I've just recently renewed my passport and I was wondering if I need to update my DS-260? (since I applied with my old passport)

Does anyone know anyone who has gone through this before?

Thanks!
From the DV instructions it says

13. What if my passport expires, or I lose it before I apply for a visa?
If your passport number changes for any reason, you will have to provide evidence of why it has changed to the Department of State’s Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) before they will schedule your DV interview. If you enter a false, inaccurate, or invalid passport number on your DV entry, you will be ineligible for a DV. We suggest you make a legible photocopy of the passport you use for the entry and store it in a secure location with your entry confirmation number (FAQ #27). A photocopy alone is not proof you entered a valid passport number on your entry, but it can help you explain the situation. The final determination is made by the Consular Officer at the time of your DV interview.

So not 100% on the answer but guessing you either have to message KCC letting them know with an explanation + send a copy of it, or I've also heard you have to take your old expired one as well as your new valid one to your interview (definitely have to do this, not sure if you have to notify them beforehand). I guess it also depends if you're DQ'd yet or not, since if you aren't they might not make you DQ if your passport isn't valid?

Maybe someone else can give a better reply though.

Hi all,

I've just recently renewed my passport and I was wondering if I need to update my DS-260? (since I applied with my old passport)

Does anyone know anyone who has gone through this before?

Thanks!
If you've already submitted your documents to KCC and are already DQ'd, you don't need to do anything at this point. Plan on taking both the expired and the new passport to your interview, you'll be fine.

From the DV instructions it says

13. What if my passport expires, or I lose it before I apply for a visa?
If your passport number changes for any reason, you will have to provide evidence of why it has changed to the Department of State’s Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) before they will schedule your DV interview. If you enter a false, inaccurate, or invalid passport number on your DV entry, you will be ineligible for a DV. We suggest you make a legible photocopy of the passport you use for the entry and store it in a secure location with your entry confirmation number (FAQ #27). A photocopy alone is not proof you entered a valid passport number on your entry, but it can help you explain the situation. The final determination is made by the Consular Officer at the time of your DV interview.

So not 100% on the answer but guessing you either have to message KCC letting them know with an explanation + send a copy of it, or I've also heard you have to take your old expired one as well as your new valid one to your interview (definitely have to do this, not sure if you have to notify them beforehand). I guess it also depends if you're DQ'd yet or not, since if you aren't they might not make you DQ if your passport isn't valid?

Maybe someone else can give a better reply though.
The part "before I apply for a visa" technically speaking refers to before submitting the DS260 form (the DS260 submission is an application for a visa). So the response in the FAQ in general refers to situations where some may try to be creative in order to overcome the passport requirement while submitting the eDV entry. If someone used some fake passport information in submitting their eDV entry, subsequently obtain a valid passport and try to use that to process their DV selection, the above will apply to them in that case.

I emailed the KCC today just checking on the status of my case as I did not fill out DS260s for my children (US citizens) they replied within a couple of hours saying they are processing the DS260 and that they have received my documents. I sent my documents about a month ago without asking! Sounds like they are speeding things up over there! Previous emails took 1 month for a reply!

Hi did you check about changing to fiji embassy as our borders are opening next week?
Hi Samfj,

I see you have had an interview scheduled for Jan and you are OC4XX is that correct? Firstly congratulations if that is true!

I am OC2XX though and very frustrated if they are scheduling interviews not in CN order as my documents have been sent and still no DQ! To have this confirmed though would be able to shed some light on the fact they do seem to be processing out of CN order which according to BritSimon is illegal.

That aside I am very happy for you and can't wait for my interview date. I'm curious did you transfer it to Fiji or was it originally meant to be in Fiji?

Cheers,

Morgan

Hi Samfj,

I see you have had an interview scheduled for Jan and you are OC4XX is that correct? Firstly congratulations if that is true!

I am OC2XX though and very frustrated if they are scheduling interviews not in CN order as my documents have been sent and still no DQ! To have this confirmed though would be able to shed some light on the fact they do seem to be processing out of CN order which according to BritSimon is illegal.

That aside I am very happy for you and can't wait for my interview date. I'm curious did you transfer it to Fiji or was it originally meant to be in Fiji?

Cheers,

Morgan
KCC is still scheduling interviews based on CN current order. However CN current month is not the only consideration that determines how soon you get scheduled for an interview, your DS260 form and document submission dates (and processing) are also taken into consideration. Yes, you have a lower CN than the member who has reported being scheduled for a January interview. This person did submit their DS260 in May, while you submitted yours in June, KCC began the DV2022 year by processing DS260 as received (and AFAIK, they’re yet to get to June submissions), they’re not pushing forms with higher CN aside while waiting for lower CN forms to be received - having this realization at the back of your mind should help you deal with the frustration you’re experiencing.

Also I highly doubt Simon did say it is “illegal” for KCC to be processing DS260 forms “out of order” (whatever that means) because there is no law in place that states in which particular order KCC is required to process DS260 forms.

Hi Samfj,

Cheers,

Morgan

According to me WHAT????

How does this stuff get mixed up.

The process is working the same way it has always worked.

DS260's are processed in date submitted order.
Documents are process in CN order (BUT with very few cases processed to DR level this has been getting mixed up).
Cases cannot be scheduled until the CN is current.
Once a group of cases are DQd and current the DQ date is used to determined the scheduling order within an embassy (which was crucial while Tier 4 was affecting capacity).

KCC is still scheduling interviews based on CN current order. However CN current month is not the only consideration that determines how soon you get scheduled for an interview, your DS260 form and document submission dates (and processing) are also taken into consideration. Yes, you have a lower CN than the member who has reported being scheduled for a January interview. This person did submit their DS260 in May, while you submitted yours in June, KCC began the DV2022 year by processing DS260 as received (and AFAIK, they’re yet to get to June submissions), they’re not pushing forms with higher CN aside while waiting for lower CN forms to be received - having this realization at the back of your mind should help you deal with the frustration you’re experiencing.

Also I highly doubt Simon did say it is “illegal” for KCC to be processing DS260 forms “out of order” (whatever that means) because there is no law in place that states in which particular order KCC is required to process DS260 forms.
@Morgan_NZ

We are also a OC2** CN that is DQ & ready for scheduling however, we have not been scheduled for an interview yet. We submitted our DS260's May11 and sent documents in without request. We live in Australia so our interview location is Sydney. The Sydney consulate is not open at present. So I presume, although I may be incorrect, that we have not been scheduled yet as the Sydney Consulate are not holding interviews.

@Sm1smom can you confirm this?

I would listen carefully and take on board what @Sm1smom & @Britsimon say as they are both very knowledgeable and have been helping many people through the DV process for a number of years.

Kind regards
Charli

2022OC2** CN current in November
DS-260 submitted May 11 EST
Documents Submitted w/o request June 29 EST
Family of 2 (husband & wife)
Never received a DR email or a DQ email from KCC

DQ -date unknown; discovered we were DQ after emailing KCC 'helpdesk'.

Hi Samfj,

Cheers,

Morgan
Hi yes we do and somehow i mistyped the actual date on the google doc and couldn't fix it. but YES our interview schedule is in Jan. And like @Sm1smom and @Britsimon have explained there are various factors to consider. We were reading and following Brits advice from the start so got our ds 260 sent in early as well as documents sent without request until they did. Helps that our embassy in Fiji is also open. All the best to you and i know how frustrating it must be

@Morgan_NZ

We are also a OC2** CN that is DQ & ready for scheduling however, we have not been scheduled for an interview yet. We submitted our DS260's May11 and sent documents in without request. We live in Australia so our interview location is Sydney. The Sydney consulate is not open at present. So I presume, although I may be incorrect, that we have not been scheduled yet as the Sydney Consulate are not holding interviews.

@Sm1smom can you confirm this?

I would listen carefully and take on board what @Sm1smom & @Britsimon say as they are both very knowledgeable and have been helping many people through the DV process for a number of years.

Kind regards
Charli

2022OC2** CN current in November
DS-260 submitted May 11 EST
Documents Submitted w/o request June 29 EST
Family of 2 (husband & wife)
Never received a DR email or a DQ email from KCC

DQ -date unknown; discovered we were DQ after emailing KCC 'helpdesk'.
In your particular case, I believe the reason you haven’t been scheduled for your interview is tied to the fact that the Sydney consulate is currently not open. I do not believe the same issue applies in @Morgan_NZ’s case though considering the OPs DS260 submission date. If your embassy was somewhere else where interviews were taking place, I believe you would have been scheduled by now.

In your particular case, I believe the reason you haven’t been scheduled for your interview is tied to the fact that the Sydney consulate is currently not open. I do not believe the same issue applies in @Morgan_NZ’s case though considering the OPs DS260 submission date. If your embassy was somewhere else where interviews were taking place, I believe you would have been scheduled by now.
Thank you. I agree with your comments that the DS260 submission date is also a factor in @Morgan_NZ 's case. I guess our position will help to provide additional context for Morgan.

Hey Simon - thanks for your wonderful work. I have sent a tip on your website and YouTube. OC20226XX.

We are based in Sydney and concerned like everyone when/if we will get our interviews.

I have been in de facto relationship for 11 years and was married last week.

I submitted my DS260 back in May (DQ in October) as single though after some reflection we decided that it was best for my partner to head to the US as a derivative on my DV rather than work sponsored. We were married last week.

On the week end we updated the DS260 adding my partners details. As we added a new person onto the DS260 does this mean we will go back into the end of the line for DS submissions? Are interviews based on original DS submission dates or after updates?

The only grace I hope we have is I have a relatively low number so hope we wont miss out...

Good luck everyone...

Hey Simon - thanks for your wonderful work. I have sent a tip on your website and YouTube. OC20226XX.

We are based in Sydney and concerned like everyone when/if we will get our interviews.

I have been in de facto relationship for 11 years and was married last week.

I submitted my DS260 back in May (DQ in October) as single though after some reflection we decided that it was best for my partner to head to the US as a derivative on my DV rather than work sponsored. We were married last week.

On the week end we updated the DS260 adding my partners details. As we added a new person onto the DS260 does this mean we will go back into the end of the line for DS submissions? Are interviews based on original DS submission dates or after updates?

The only grace I hope we have is I have a relatively low number so hope we wont miss out...

Good luck everyone...
I hope you know you need to resubmit your documents since you recently added your spouse as a derivative.

According to me WHAT????

How does this stuff get mixed up.

The process is working the same way it has always worked.

DS260's are processed in date submitted order.
Documents are process in CN order (BUT with very few cases processed to DR level this has been getting mixed up).
Cases cannot be scheduled until the CN is current.
Once a group of cases are DQd and current the DQ date is used to determined the scheduling order within an embassy (which was crucial while Tier 4 was affecting capacity).
Apologies I was mistaken, what I was referring to was when he said that they should not be scheduling interviews unless the CN is current. in OC4XX case he was current when scheduled and that was my confusion.

@Sm1smom and @Britsimon I have been reading through your advice for many months now, and I cannot thank you two enough for the efforts you two put into assisting with information and correcting people when needed, as I did just now.

@Syd2022 thank you for the additional context. I hope the Sydney Consulate will open soon for you. Is there the possibility to transfer to Perth or Melbourne or are border restrictions still an issue over there?

@Syd2022 thank you for the additional context. I hope the Sydney Consulate will open soon for you. Is there the possibility to transfer to Perth or Melbourne or are border restrictions still an issue over there?
At present the Sydney Consulate is the only one that processes the DV category of visas. We are hoping that they may elect to transfer some cases and allow Melbourne to process them whilst they are still closed due to renovations. They have not hinted at this though. We just have to wait patiently and see what happens.

Sydney Consulate posted on their FB today that they have requested more cases from the NVC for Jan and Feb....

I have sent them an email to ask if they will also be requesting DV cases from KCC - will let you know if they reply!
Thanks so much for the update @AusOC fingers crossed maybe there is a chance we might get some February DV interviews happening.