• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

I didn’t realise that two seperate documents are sent once i entered and became a LPR: the GC and SSN.

The USCIS account states that the permanent resident card can take up to 90 days to arrive. I assumed that this time frame might apply for the SSN, but obviously not from what you write.

Am I mistaken or have i previously read on this forum that there is a way to track any of the above two documents?
Your USCIS account is for tracking your GC. And for the umpteenth time, there’s no way to track the SSN.

Yes, I called them and the agent was not able to provide any information for me about this, which I find strange (I will call again and see if I can speak to another agent). The agent suggested I call the state social security office where the card is being sent to (Houston, TX), but when I did, the call was rerouted back to the National number.

The agent stated that I need to wait for my permanent residency card to arrive before I can attend a SS office if I decide to apply for a SSN as the residency card along with my passport is used for identification.

Yes, I called them and the agent was not able to provide any information for me about this, which I find strange (I will call again and see if I can speak to another agent). The agent suggested I call the state social security office where the card is being sent to (Houston, TX), but when I did, the call was rerouted back to the National number.

The agent stated that I need to wait for my permanent residency card to arrive before I can attend a SS office if I decide to apply for a SSN as the residency card along with my passport is used for identification.
I wonder how other people on this forum resolved the issue. I’m sure it’s happened to other people before. It seems you get taken round and round in circles.

Hi All,

Did anyone not receive their SSN card within three weeks of arriving? I'm wondering if I should try calling SSA by phone or by going to an office. Would appreciate any insight from those who have been in the same situation
Hey, how long did it take you to receive your SSN? What did you have to do to receive it? Any help would be appreciated!

I wonder how other people on this forum resolved the issue. I’m sure it’s happened to other people before. It seems you get taken round and round in circles.
Update: Called again and another agent said the only way to track the SSN card is to attend an office with your photo ID (passport).

I went to the local office and was advised that it could take 2-3 months, and that this amount of time has been happening recently, especially during and after Covid as staff are stretched. The admin officer gave me a local number to call to circumvent delays calling the National number.

Since the appointment, the USCIS account has indicated that my GC will now be produced.

Don’t think the two events are related though.

I went to the local office and was advised that it could take 2-3 months, and that this amount of time has been happening recently, especially during and after Covid as staff are stretched. The admin officer gave me a local number to call to circumvent delays calling the National number.

Since the appointment, the USCIS account has indicated that my GC will now be produced.

Did you tick the box to have USCIS create an SSN for you?

Sure did.

Should also report that the administrator did not want to file for a new SSN just yet as she said if she did, and my SS card turns up, having two numbers will be a complicated issue come tax time.
Looks like everything, I mean everything, the person that attended to you at the SSA office said was BS! AFAIK, the SSN, when generated based on ticking SSN request box on the DS260 form does not take 2-3 months to show up (with the exception of the COVID period when everything was shut down). If after waiting 5 weeks and it hasn’t shown up, it most likely will not show up without submitting a new application for it.

It is impossible for one person to be issued with 2 different SSN because there are checks and balances in place for verifying the person applying for the SSN is (1) who they claim to be, (2) authorized to be issued with a SSN as requested. If an attempt is made at generating a new SSN for someone who already had one issued, the system will flag it, and it will subsequently not get issued - so telling you two SSN will create issues for you come tax time is total crap. Plus, that person doesn’t get to issue you with the SSN by the way, her job is simply to collect your application and input the information into the system. That information as related to your status in the US gets verified with USCIS by another department, before the SSN eventually gets issued - a process that could take 2-4weeks to get completed. In addition, there are reports of new immigrants who were able to obtain their SSN in person - it was read out to them when they visited the SSA office because they urgently needed that information, (so if a number has already been assigned to you, a second one cannot be generated) - while waiting for the physical card to show up. In summary, the person you spoke with basically was being lazy, and reluctant to do her job.

If I was you, I would visit another SSA office with a prefilled application form (or the same if there’s no other one close by) and simply say I’m there to apply for my SSN without any reference to a previous visit or having previously requested via the DS260. I most certainly wouldn’t seat back and wait 2-3 months to see if it will show up based on what the lady said.

Hey Folks

Hope everyone is well. Its been a while since I last posted. So needed to return back to Australia as my mum is not well.

* I arrived in the US on 27 December last year to activate my Diversity Visa.
* Received my SSN and Greencard (PRC) in Janurary this year
* Left the US to go back to Australia on 1st Feb this year

I understand that you're not allowed to be away from the US for more than a year. This being the case would my last day to return to the US be 26 December this year or by 31st Jan 2024?

Hey Folks

Hope everyone is well. Its been a while since I last posted. So needed to return back to Australia as my mum is not well.

I understand that you're not allowed to be away from the US for more than a year. This being the case would my last day to return to the US be 26 December this year or by 31st Jan 2024?
1 year from when you left. So 31st Jan 2024. It doesn't matter when you arrived, it only matters how long you are out of the country for.

Hey Folks

However, apparently if you stay away for more than 6 months, the CBP officer could consider that you have given up your residency so take caution I guess.

However, apparently if you stay away for more than 6 months, the CBP officer could consider that you have given up your residency so take caution I guess.

Yes i think i read somewhere early on this thread last year that you should try not to be away for more than 6 months. I think I should be ok though if i explained my situation.

I face a similar situation to you, Shezza, so I’ll be interested to hear if you get questioned upon your return if out longer than 6 months.
It should be ok I think, I also emailed the US Embassy in Sydney, and they too said its a year from the date I left the US which means i'll have to be there by Jan 2024