• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Hi guys! I’m in Suva right now! I finally got my interview scheduled for 13th Sept. It wouldn’t have happened if Suva hadn’t reached out to KCC for me. I quickly planned a trip last minute without any notice. Is anyone else in Fiji this week or next week?

1. I’m having my medical tomorrow at Epworth. They said express will be $550 fjd does that sound correct? And then I have to pick it up and take with me to interview. Embassy emailed me a letter to give the clinic. Do I pre-fill the name info etc or does the doctor do it?

2. Did anyone have any problems or issues re photos? I’m literally freaking out right now about passport photos.

It took ages for me to get a set that had no shadows - Aus Post was completely hopeless. I finally got a set of photos that are ok but I’m stressing out because my hair is not completely pulled back away from my face. You can see my eyes and eyebrows, but my hair is resting on the sides of my face touching the ends of my brows if that makes sense. And the other set has some shine on my skin — instructions say no shine/hot spots. Then another set is 1mm off where my chin is. I’m wondering if I should go to a passport photo place in Suva today and desperately try again? Did the CO let you know if your photo was OK? Is it possible on the day to give them a selection of photos and then they can just choose which complies best?

Also do all the 6 photos need to be from the one set or can it be a mixture? 2 for embassy and 4 for medical.

3. I have a high school certificate. But do I also need to take with me a print out of the O*Net job description?

4. Can you take a small purse or wallet into the embassy?

5. For the ladies here, what did you wear to your interview?

Sorry for all the questions!
1. I actually did two (2) medicals at Epworth, 1st was in May for my interview and was $530 for the express results, then did a 2nd medical last week when I flew back over there to deliver my passport after clearing 3 months of AP as I didn't want to risk posting my passport and wanted to extend the 3 months expiry on my DV I lost to AP and Epworth charged me $450 for an express medical, so go figure. I paid with Fijian cash, don't know if they accept EFTPOS, certainly at your interview the embassy will only accept Fijian or US cash.

One thing I did notice, at my 2nd medical Epworth now not only ask you if you use drugs or alcohol, now they get you to sign your name next to the answer the doctor writes for that question, and the doctor told me at my 2nd medical that has been specifically requested by the embassy.

2. Personally, bearing in mind you can't afford to go into AP in mid September, I'd be getting 6 new photos if you have time before your medical. There is a passport photo shop straight across the road from Macca's in the main street in downtown Suva, by memory it's $5FJD for 6 photos, and they ask why country passport photos you need, so be sure to say US passport photos, as US spec passport photos are different to AU spec passport photos. Again, because I did 2 medicals Epworth wanted new photos for the 2nd medical. I had both sets of photos done at the same place, when I collected my passport from the embassy, the photo they used on both the DV and Visa Packet were the photos from the first medical back in May. The photo shop uses a digital camera so ask to see the photo before they print them, if for whatever reason you don't like the photo, have them take your photo again.

3. One of the reasons I went into AP was the CO couldn't decide at interview if my education evidence was good enough. It appears the embassy wants a certificate. My problem was unlike probably everyone else, I did years 8 - 10 high school back in the 80's, then, when i got selected for DV2022, I didn't want to risk just interviewing on employment, so I enrolled back into high school as an adult learner, and did expedited education to complete years 11 and 12 in 9 months. Yes, if you want to do 12 hour days it is possible, in Qld at least, and yes for the day classes as a 40 something year old I was learning along side 16 and 17 year olds, along with 3 COVID lockdowns, 2 school lockdowns due to "gang members" on campus and a once in a generation flood.

Because in Qld senior school certificates are by law only issued in December after year 12 completion and I completed year 12 in March 2022, legally I can't get my certificate until December 2022, which didn't help me for my DV interview. I had a signed statement from the QCAA advising I had successfully completed year 12 high school, the embassy took that statement when they collected all of my documents at the interview, but the CO couldn't make a decision on it at the interview and said he would need to check with Sydney. Ultimately, while I was on AP, I arranged for my former high school to print a certificate of graduation, and along with scans of my high school photo ID and award for highest of the graduating class for maths, I emailed those to Suva and I cleared AP. When I collected my passport and Visa Packet the embassy said a copy of my education certificate was inside the Visa Packet, so they appear to want a certificate.

If you have a year 12 high school certificate you should be fine, however, again, as you don't want to be in AP in mid September, i personally would prepare a brief employment submission if you have access to a printer before your interview. I did, all I did was have my apprenticeship training certificate to prove 2+ years of training, my contract of employment proving my job title was for a qualified position (to be qualified you needed to have completed an apprenticeship) and that the position was the manager. I then had first and last pay slips to prove 2+ years employment within last 5 years, and O Net position printouts of similar management positions with SVP of 7+. Suva embassy didn't even ask for my employment documents.

4. I have been inside that embassy now on 4 different occassions this year, and security vetting was different every time. Yes you can take your water bottle in, yes you can take your water in only if you drink some of your water in front of us, no you can't take a water bottle it, yes you can wear your hat in there., No you can't wear your hat in there. There are two (2) security check points in two seperate buildings, both with metal detectors and x-ray. My advise, take only what is needed for your interview in there.

5. I'm male so can help here. I wore a shirt and tie to my interview and was placed into AP for 3 months, although my clothing had nothing to do with it. As (I think) BS said in one of his videos, put effort into your interview, and show them you genuinely want your DV. That you are flying to another country to do consular processing should already convince what is no doubt the best embassy you are serious about your DV application, so dressing smart casual won't hurt your case. It was humid and raining there last week.

Finally, be careful, especially in the down town area, especially if your a female by yourself. As I was told both times I was there, there are plenty of people in that town who will try to take your money, so avoid conversations when approached. It's usually starts with "Bula Bula where are you from"? "I'm from the Ministry of tourism" and/or "come visit my shop"

Im a 6+ foot 120kg male and I was approached both times I was there, and the last time had some grub screaming at me when I ignored him and (tried) to put his had into my shopping bag whilst I was at a taxi rank.

Good luck.

------------------
2022OC5XX
Entered DV2022 10 October 2020
1NL received 9 May 2021
DS 260 submitted 2 November 2021
No documents requested or submitted
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24 December 2021
Current as of 1 January 2022
Placed into AV queue 14 April 2022
2NL received 19 April 2022
Interviewed at U.S. Embassy Suva 26 May 2022
Placed into Administrative Processing 26 May 2022
Cleared Administrative Processing 26 August 2022
Diversity Visa issued 31 August 2022
Diversity Visa in my hand 1 September 2022

Hi everyone. Just booked our tickets to activate our GC. Do we need ESTA's still or are we good because of the temporary visa status in our passport. I asked flight Centre and they didn't know. And does anyone know if we use the residents due on arrival in the USA or the visitor lane now?

Thanks everyone. I'm sitting at the Holiday Inn relaxing. I had my medical today. It was $560 including $10 for the Hep B shot. Just wondering, can we add this to our Australian immunisation history? I asked the doc for some sort of evidence I can show when I get back so I can have the next shots in the series. She said it would be inside the medical pack given to embassy. But I was under impression we can't open/look at the medical.

Interesting, I wasn't asked to sign anything about alcohol and drugs. So maybe the embassy only request it for a number of people.

The letter Suva sent me for the medical was a letter to the doctor stating I had chosen him to do the medical and for him to verify my identity from my passport. The Epworth staff just handed it back to me.

I went to a passport photo place in Mid City. The background when printed went a creamy pink. I was wearing a pink top too so it looked like I had no body haha, just a floating head. So I'll try the one across from Maccas that you recommend. I didn't have time before the medical today, so I gave them the best out of the original bunch. Hopefully at the embassy if there's an issue I can fix it before I leave Suva.

Feels good to have the first step done. I'm loving it here in Suva, although yep had a few weirdos approach me as predicted!

I almost didn't make it here guys - the small plane I was in from Nadi to Suva hit the tarmac hard and too fast, and the pilot had to immediately take off again to avert disaster! While we were back in the air before he reattempted to land, I thought to myself as long as we make it, everything is OK whatever happens, just being alive will be enough. Then the beautiful drive into Suva, I felt like I had a new lease on life. On that note though, has anyone ever got a bus or taxi from Suva to Nadi instead of the plane? Heard there is a coach that stops along the whole coastline to different resorts.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just booked our tickets to activate our GC. Do we need ESTA's still or are we good because of the temporary visa status in our passport. I asked flight Centre and they didn't know. And does anyone know if we use the residents due on arrival in the USA or the visitor lane now?
Haven't gone yet (going at the end of Oct) but was part of the lawsuit and the lawyer (Jesse) said ESTA wasn't required. Since its for the visa waiver program, and we now have visas :)

I believe you use the resident line, but easiest thing to do is just ask them when you get there. There's almost always someone directing people, can just stop for 2 seconds and say you're activating your green card for the first time and ask. Better than waiting in the wrong line for ages only to find out you have to change lines.

1. You do not need an ESTA at this point. You have an immigrant visa stamp on your passport, that is all you need.
2. Technically speaking, you’re not yet a resident until after you’ve been processed and admitted as a LPR. You however may be directed to use residence line - so just look out for folks in the hall directing/moving people along and ask them.

Haven't gone yet (going at the end of Oct) but was part of the lawsuit and the lawyer (Jesse) said ESTA wasn't required. Since its for the visa waiver program, and we now have visas :)

I believe you use the resident line, but easiest thing to do is just ask them when you get there. There's almost always someone directing people, can just stop for 2 seconds and say you're activating your green card for the first time and ask. Better than waiting in the wrong line for ages only to find out you have to change lines.
I really suggest you guys do no not tell people in US immigration you are “activating” your green cards. There’s already been reports of confusion from OCers about saying this. There is no such actual thing in US imigration: you are entering on an immigrant visa, therefore you are immigrating as a new immigrant. This is what you say to who you are asking: “I am entering on an immigrant visa, which line do I join?” It’s not relevant to them that you’re not planning to make the final move yet.

You’re not residents yet so are normally directed to the non resident line but they may direct you to residents for queue management. A few airports actually have a dedicated “new immigrants” line.

I really suggest you guys do no not tell people in US immigration you are “activating” your green cards. There’s already been reports of confusion from OCers about saying this. There is no such actual thing in US imigration: you are entering on an immigrant visa, therefore you are immigrating as a new immigrant. This is what you say to who you are asking: “I am entering on an immigrant visa, which line do I join?” It’s not relevant to them that you’re not planning to make the final move yet.

You’re not residents yet so are normally directed to the non resident line but they may direct you to residents for queue management. A few airports actually have a dedicated “new immigrants” line.
Whats wording we should use when we meet immigration?

Just wondering, can we add this to our Australian immunisation history? I asked the doc for some sort of evidence I can show when I get back so I can have the next shots in the series. She said it would be inside the medical pack given to embassy. But I was under impression we can't open/look at the medical.
Epworth give you a photocopy in an envelope not sealed. I guess you can use that one. Failing that, get a blood (serology) test back in Australia, which should show the various markers, and the nurse can manually add it as an annotation to the Immunisation statement, and then just book for the next round etc. Really its a conversation with your doctor, if your doctor seems confused, or hesitant to allow you to receive further vaccination, perhaps best to find a different doctor moving forward.

Just wondering, can we add this to our Australian immunisation history? I asked the doc for some sort of evidence I can show when I get back so I can have the next shots in the series. She said it would be inside the medical pack given to embassy.

@LisaMelb , I spoke with my GP in Australia before before heading to Fiji and was advised that the vaccine name and batch number were required to add it to the AIR

Heading to LA on QF11 on 25 Sep 22 to immigrate (though will return in October) - yippie. I would love to hear how other OCers are going over in the US? I am hearing conflicting stories that things are not too crash host (crime/violence/homelessness) in large cities such as LA and NYC... Any feedback?

Heading to LA on QF11 on 25 Sep 22 to immigrate (though will return in October) - yippie. I would love to hear how other OCers are going over in the US? I am hearing conflicting stories that things are not too crash host (crime/violence/homelessness) in large cities such as LA and NYC... Any feedback?
Depends on the area. Not currently in LA but was there for a 14 months til covid hit. Everything is very suburb based. Ie Skidrow has like one of the largest populations of homeless people, and I worked a 2 minute drive from it, and right next to my job was a much nicer area where the offices for Uber (or Lyft, can't remember which) as well as Honey and a bunch of other big companies are and its a decently modern area.

So all depends on the location, where I was (Highland Park) it was common to have a helicopter searching for someone over our apartments at least once a week, and to hear of robberies close by almost daily. But most of it is also at night time / lots of gang related activity, meaning even though all that stuff went on and you see it on the news, I very rarely actually witnessed crime myself (though plenty during the Black Lives Matter protests).

But yeah, if you are comparing to Australia then it is much much higher given the availability of guns etc (not trying to get political here though), Australia is one of the safest places so everything will seem like high crime rate compared to here. LA is just very, you can be in a high crime rate area, drive 2 minutes and be in a very nice residential area, it changes very fast so its hard to give you anything accurate (which is also why you probably hear conflicting stories).

But turn on the TV pretty much any night in LA and there will be some sort of police chase/hostage situation/shooting report. I pretty much never felt unsafe though, but I also wouldn't go for a walk at 2am alone or anything like I would feel comfortable doing in Australia.

Homelessness is definitely much higher though, and from my experience much more unpleasant (as at least the ones I saw were definitely either drug users or schizophrenic), but you get used to it pretty quickly and it almost becomes your new normal.

LA also recently opened their new bridge, which was closed every night for about a week straight due to people doing burnouts/donuts/stopping their cars in the middle of it every day. Won't hear of anything like this in Australia.

Places like LA/NY have the rich, and the poor, making two sides to basically every city. There's a very noticeable contrast between areas which I don't find to really be a thing in Australia, everything is just kind of 'average' or 'above average' in Australia with a few exceptions.

Depends on the area. Not currently in LA but was there for a 14 months til covid hit. Everything is very suburb based. Ie Skidrow has like one of the largest populations of homeless people, and I worked a 2 minute drive from it, and right next to my job was a much nicer area where the offices for Uber (or Lyft, can't remember which) as well as Honey and a bunch of other big companies are and its a decently modern area.

So all depends on the location, where I was (Highland Park) it was common to have a helicopter searching for someone over our apartments at least once a week, and to hear of robberies close by almost daily. But most of it is also at night time / lots of gang related activity, meaning even though all that stuff went on and you see it on the news, I very rarely actually witnessed crime myself (though plenty during the Black Lives Matter protests).

But yeah, if you are comparing to Australia then it is much much higher given the availability of guns etc (not trying to get political here though), Australia is one of the safest places so everything will seem like high crime rate compared to here. LA is just very, you can be in a high crime rate area, drive 2 minutes and be in a very nice residential area, it changes very fast so its hard to give you anything accurate (which is also why you probably hear conflicting stories).

But turn on the TV pretty much any night in LA and there will be some sort of police chase/hostage situation/shooting report. I pretty much never felt unsafe though, but I also wouldn't go for a walk at 2am alone or anything like I would feel comfortable doing in Australia.

Homelessness is definitely much higher though, and from my experience much more unpleasant (as at least the ones I saw were definitely either drug users or schizophrenic), but you get used to it pretty quickly and it almost becomes your new normal.

LA also recently opened their new bridge, which was closed every night for about a week straight due to people doing burnouts/donuts/stopping their cars in the middle of it every day. Won't hear of anything like this in Australia.

Places like LA/NY have the rich, and the poor, making two sides to basically every city. There's a very noticeable contrast between areas which I don't find to really be a thing in Australia, everything is just kind of 'average' or 'above average' in Australia with a few exceptions.
Thank you for the time you have taken to answer my questions! I was thinking along your thoughts too and believe its worse on the news... We will be based in LA and in an area which is well known so shouldn't be as bad safety wise... :)

Thank you for the time you have taken to answer my questions! I was thinking along your thoughts too and believe its worse on the news... We will be based in LA and in an area which is well known so shouldn't be as bad safety wise... :)
Depends on what it is well known for :p Hollywood is well known and not at all what you would expect it to be. But yep what you see on the news is reality, but as long as its not involving you then you're okay! If anything I'd say the news is better than reality, as so much stuff that happens there that would make the news in Australia if it happened, doesn't even make the news there because its either normal or something bigger happened. A lot of those high speed car chases/shootings don't even make it to the news because they're so common

Depends on what it is well known for :p Hollywood is well known and not at all what you would expect it to be. But yep what you see on the news is reality, but as long as its not involving you then you're okay! If anything I'd say the news is better than reality, as so much stuff that happens there that would make the news in Australia if it happened, doesn't even make the news there because its either normal or something bigger happened. A lot of those high speed car chases/shootings don't even make it to the news because they're so common
LOL - where the housewives hang out with Donna and Brandon :p

An update— picked up my medical today. Epworth did make me sign at the very end before giving the envelope. So yeah it’s everyone. The clinic lost my photos. The staff managed to find them at the very end of the day, thankfully.

What type of folder did you take in for your documents at the interview? Was it a plastic pocket or a proper display folder? How can I protect the big envelope if it’s raining? Weather forecast for tomorrow says thunderstorms, and we can’t take in a bag or umbrella.

An update— picked up my medical today. Epworth did make me sign at the very end before giving the envelope. So yeah it’s everyone. The clinic lost my photos. The staff managed to find them at the very end of the day, thankfully.

What type of folder did you take in for your documents at the interview? Was it a plastic pocket or a proper display folder? How can I protect the big envelope if it’s raining? Weather forecast for tomorrow says thunderstorms, and we can’t take in a bag or umbrella.
Can take a bag with you and if anything they would just ask you to leave it at the first check in area after getting your stuff out. There isn't too much area that isnt undercover once you arrive there (even if you have to wait outside there is a covered area you can stand under while lining up). It was raining when I was waiting at the embassy, and also on my way walking back from Epworth with my medical :( Just had to shield it with my body and hurry along!

Most of us just took an A4 display folder, those cheap little plastic ones nothing fancy (one had an A3 envelope thing cause their diploma was huge).

Hey everyone, is there a cheat sheet for immigrating with the DV? I just want to double check all is in order. I have my immigration pack (plus the xray scans I nearly forgot so has prompted me to triple check). I tried the DV website though couldn't find anything...