• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 OC Selectees

Just arrived at LAX last night. Told the CBP official that I was there to activate my green card, and he went blank for a few moments.

Apparently most people hand over the sealed document pack without a word, and he's got to figure it out what people want for himself.

After a few minutes of inspecting the documents (inc the additional packet Suva medial gave me), he stamped my visa and I was out the door. Rather painless as I was expecting to be brought into another area for processing, but it happens right there at the counter.

Once again, I wouldn't have gotten this far without all of the knowledgable contributors of this forum! That, and to the group of Aussies who spent the week in Suva with me. I'm home.

Just arrived at LAX last night. Told the CBP official that I was there to activate my green card, and he went blank for a few moments.

Apparently most people hand over the sealed document pack without a word, and he's got to figure it out what people want for himself.

After a few minutes of inspecting the documents (inc the additional packet Suva medial gave me), he stamped my visa and I was out the door. Rather painless as I was expecting to be brought into another area for processing, but it happens right there at the counter.

Once again, I wouldn't have gotten this far without all of the knowledgable contributors of this forum! That, and to the group of Aussies who spent the week in Suva with me. I'm home.
“activating a green card” isn’t actually a thing for CBP (or indeed for most people who get immigrant visas). What you did as far as they are concerned, was immigrated. (There is only one thing to “figure out” with an immigrant visa packet, and that is to process the visa holder as an immigrant.) Congratulations on your LPR status.

Thanks @Shezza85, and all the others who have publically and privately congratulated me on here, as some of you know I'm back over here in Suva right now. As soon as I found out last Friday afternoon I had cleared AP I booked my flights as I didn't want to risk sending my passport through to post and having it lost/stolen in transit, not with a month to go in DV2022 and the documented delays at DEFAT issuing new passports. Some of you may recall a few weeks back workers at Brisbane airport were caught in secure areas stealing international mail.

I emailed Suva embassy late Friday asking if I could redo my medical as I lost 3 months to AP and Suva with their predictable speed replied first thing Monday morning allowing a 2nd medical. I actually replied to them while I was on the plane at Brisbane airport on the tarmac about to takeoff advising I was on my way.

I have to have surgery in a couple of weeks so decided for a second medical to reset the full 6 months on my DV, that gives me time to recover from surgery, and finalize my affairs in Australia, before landing in the U.S. , even if it is just an activation trip.

Did the 2nd medical at Epworth yesterday and collected it today.

A heads up to anyone still to interview at Suva, at their request, Epworth are now not only asking during the medical if you use alcohol or drugs, like they did at my 1st medical in May, now they get you to sign your name next to your answer.

Dropped 2nd medical off at the embassy today about 4.30pm, super fast, super friendly, even had one of the security guards walk out to Princess Rd (in the rain) and hail me a taxi. Checked CEAC 2 hours later and status has changed to ISSUED. Suva said on Monday it's a 72 business hour MINIMUM wait.

I've only run into one (1) "employee" from the Fijian "ministry of tourism" wanting me to visit his "shop" so far on this trip, but the week is still young.......

------------------
2022OC5XX
Entered DV2022 10 October 2020
1NL received 9 May 2021
DS 260 submitted 2 November 2021
No documents requested or submitted
Ready to be scheduled for interview 24 December 2021
Current as of 1 January 2022
Placed into AV queue 14 April 2022
2NL received 19 April 2022
Interviewed at Embassy Suva 26 May 2022
Placed into Administrative Processing 26 May 2022
Cleared Administrative Processing 26 August 2022
Diversity Visa issued 31 August 2022
How great it is to see "ISSUED" after checking for so long. Excellent news.

Hi Everyone,

Quick question, my husband, daughter and I are travelling mid october to LA to activate before our visas expire December 20th. Upon returning to Australia I will be giving birth to our second child in February before we permanently relocate - I already have private health insurance etc in Australia to cover all my medical expenses, which I would not in the US. This is why we will be returning to Sydney to have our baby plus get everything to order to move.

When we permanently relocate to the US next year after baby is born, does anyone know what we need to do as she won't have a greencard? Or where I can find information on this?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Quick question, my husband, daughter and I are travelling mid october to LA to activate before our visas expire December 20th. Upon returning to Australia I will be giving birth to our second child in February before we permanently relocate - I already have private health insurance etc in Australia to cover all my medical expenses, which I would not in the US. This is why we will be returning to Sydney to have our baby plus get everything to order to move.

When we permanently relocate to the US next year after baby is born, does anyone know what we need to do as she won't have a greencard? Or where I can find information on this?

Thanks!
See extract from the DoS manual below on this situation. Make sure you have a full birth certificate for the baby (and obviously baby will need a passport to travel), and they‘ll process him/her for a green card on arrival when you return. Note the baby must accompany you on your first return to the US after its birth.

9 FAM 201.2-3 IMMIGRANT TRAVEL WITHOUT A VISA

(CT:VISA-1471; 02-09-2022)

a. An unexpired immigrant visa (IV), reentry permit, or other valid entry document is required of an immigrant under INA 212(a)(7) except as indicated below.

b. Waiver for Certain Children Not Required to Obtain Visas:

(1) Child Born After the Issuance of Parent's Visa: A child born after the issuance of a visa to an accompanying parent who will arrive in the United States with the parent and apply for admission during the period of validity of the visa issued to the parent is not required to obtain an immigrant visa.

(2) Child Born to an LPR: A child born of a Lawful Permanent Resident mother during a temporary visit abroad is not required to obtain an immigrant visa if

(a) seeking admission within 2 years of birth; and

(b) accompanied by either parent, who is applying for readmission upon first return after the birth of the child. The accompanying parent must be found admissible for the accompanying child to be eligible for admission without an immigrant visa.

Hope all goes well for those that are interviewing this month. Just wanted to know now, the address where initially asked for my greencard to be sent to I will have to change it as the family friend I was planning at in LA they're heading overseas. My flight lands in LA on the 29/12 and was planning to change the address for the greencard to be sent to, to an address in New York as that's where i'm planning to move to as One of my cousin's mates lives there. That shouldn't be a problem right, the fact that I'm arriving in LA though want the Greencard to be sent to NY. I'm aware this can be done once you tell them on arrival, though do people know if theres ever been issues with them sending to the wrong address because people have changed where the greencard was to be sent to.

Hope all goes well for those that are interviewing this month. Just wanted to know now, the address where initially asked for my greencard to be sent to I will have to change it as the family friend I was planning at in LA they're heading overseas. My flight lands in LA on the 29/12 and was planning to change the address for the greencard to be sent to, to an address in New York as that's where i'm planning to move to as One of my cousin's mates lives there. That shouldn't be a problem right, the fact that I'm arriving in LA though want the Greencard to be sent to NY. I'm aware this can be done once you tell them on arrival, though do people know if theres ever been issues with them sending to the wrong address because people have changed where the greencard was to be sent to.
Shouldn't be any issue for it to be sent to a different place as to where you're arriving. Quite a lot of Aussies have used Honolulu as their port of entry even though they plan on staying in LA/NY. Shouldn't be any issue with changing it unless they forget to actually change it. It wouldn't start being produced/sent out until you enter, and I assume they change it right there on the spot when you tell them (wouldn't make sense for them to try memorise it and change it later lol). So shouldn't be an issue as it'd be changed right away before it's even begun being produced/sent out.

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice. I have my interview in Sydney on the 20th of September and the consulate have emailed through a cover sheet "for ease on the day." I noticed that on this cover sheet it asks to list "all countries you have resided in for 6 months or more since reaching the age of 16 (excluding Australia)" in the "other country police certificate(s)" section (see screenshot attached).

I once resided in Canada for 10 months but I have not obtained a Canadian police check due to the Travel State Gov website stating that you only need a police check for "any previous country or countries of residence if residing there for more than 12 months".

I responded to the email asking if this would be an issue but have not been answered. Should I worry about this and try to contact them via other means or do you think this is just a mistake on the cover sheet that they sent through?

Attachments

• cover sheet.png
    cover sheet.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice. I have my interview in Sydney on the 20th of September and the consulate have emailed through a cover sheet "for ease on the day." I noticed that on this cover sheet it asks to list "all countries you have resided in for 6 months or more since reaching the age of 16 (excluding Australia)" in the "other country police certificate(s)" section (see screenshot attached).

I once resided in Canada for 10 months but I have not obtained a Canadian police check due to the Travel State Gov website stating that you only need a police check for "any previous country or countries of residence if residing there for more than 12 months".

I responded to the email asking if this would be an issue but have not been answered. Should I worry about this and try to contact them via other means or do you think this is just a mistake on the cover sheet that they sent through?
Why don't you just get the Canadian check just in case? - I got one & it was done almost overnight, so you have time. Cost me about AUD$60.

Canada outsources this service to third party companies - I used this one: https://www.verificationscanada.ca

BTW, I'm interviewing on the 20th as well, so I'll see you there!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

There have been random instances of people being asked for PCCs if they’ve been somewhere longer than 6 months in instances where they officially only need for a year or more. Given how close your interview is to the end of the FY, if I were you I’d rather be safe than sorry and get one. Standard interview mantra applies: better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Thank you so much! Just curious, how did you work out to use that third party company? I am finding navigating the Canadian police check process very confusing, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website just says "Contact your local police to learn more"

Thank you so much! Just curious, how did you work out to use that third party company? I am finding navigating the Canadian police check process very confusing, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website just says "Contact your local police to learn more"
Yep, it threw me for a while too. I think I just ended up trusting one of the 3rd party websites in the end when it became clear it wasn't something the RCMP do.

There have been random instances of people being asked for PCCs if they’ve been somewhere longer than 6 months in instances where they officially only need for a year or more. Given how close your interview is to the end of the FY, if I were you I’d rather be safe than sorry and get one. Standard interview mantra applies: better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Thank you! :)

Hi guys! I’m in Suva right now! I finally got my interview scheduled for 13th Sept. It wouldn’t have happened if Suva hadn’t reached out to KCC for me. I quickly planned a trip last minute without any notice. Is anyone else in Fiji this week or next week?

1. I’m having my medical tomorrow at Epworth. They said express will be $550 fjd does that sound correct? And then I have to pick it up and take with me to interview. Embassy emailed me a letter to give the clinic. Do I pre-fill the name info etc or does the doctor do it?

2. Did anyone have any problems or issues re photos? I’m literally freaking out right now about passport photos.

It took ages for me to get a set that had no shadows - Aus Post was completely hopeless. I finally got a set of photos that are ok but I’m stressing out because my hair is not completely pulled back away from my face. You can see my eyes and eyebrows, but my hair is resting on the sides of my face touching the ends of my brows if that makes sense. And the other set has some shine on my skin — instructions say no shine/hot spots. Then another set is 1mm off where my chin is. I’m wondering if I should go to a passport photo place in Suva today and desperately try again? Did the CO let you know if your photo was OK? Is it possible on the day to give them a selection of photos and then they can just choose which complies best?

Also do all the 6 photos need to be from the one set or can it be a mixture? 2 for embassy and 4 for medical.

3. I have a high school certificate. But do I also need to take with me a print out of the O*Net job description?

4. Can you take a small purse or wallet into the embassy?

5. For the ladies here, what did you wear to your interview?

Sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:
Hi guys! I’m in Suva right now! I finally got my interview scheduled for 13th Sept. It wouldn’t have happened if Suva hadn’t reached out to KCC for me. I quickly planned a trip last minute without any notice. Is anyone else in Fiji this week or next week?

1. I’m having my medical tomorrow at Epworth. They said express will be $550 fjd does that sound correct? And then I have to pick it up and take with me to interview. Embassy emailed me a letter to give the clinic. Do I pre-fill the name info etc or does the doctor do it?

2. Did anyone have any problems or issues re photos? I’m freaking out right now about passport photos. It took ages for me to get a set that had no shadows - Aus Post was completely hopeless. I finally got a set of photos that are ok but I’m stressing out because my hair is not completely pulled back away from my face. You can see my eyes and brows, but my hair is resting on the sides of my face. And the other set has some shine on my skin — instructions say no shine/hot spots. I’m wondering if I should go to a passport photo place in Suva today and try again? Did the CO let you know if your photo was OK? Is it possible on the day to give them a selection of photos and then they can just choose which complies best?

3. Also do all the 6 photos need to be from the one set or can it be a mixture? 2 for embassy and 4 for medical.

4. I have a high school certificate. But do I also need to take with me a print out of the O*Net job description?

5. Can you take a small purse or wallet into the embassy?

6. For the ladies here, what did you wear to your interview?

Hi Lisa!!! So happy you were able to get an interview, yay!

1. $550fjd is correct. Yep, you should get the medical back within 24 hours. Epworth will give you a package with your medical which you will take to your interview

2. Hmm not sure Lisa. I thought I was going to have an issue because my hair was slightly chopped off at the top of the photo, but it was still fine and got stamped into my passport. If you're worried, go and get some more photos done in Suva.

3. They can be a mix

4. If you have applied for the dv lottery with your high school certificate that should be suffice.

5.Yes you can

2. Did anyone have any problems or issues re photos? I’m literally freaking out right now about passport photos.

It took ages for me to get a set that had no shadows - Aus Post was completely hopeless. I finally got a set of photos that are ok but I’m stressing out because my hair is not completely pulled back away from my face. You can see my eyes and eyebrows, but my hair is resting on the sides of my face touching the ends of my brows if that makes sense. And the other set has some shine on my skin — instructions say no shine/hot spots. Then another set is 1mm off where my chin is. I’m wondering if I should go to a passport photo place in Suva today and desperately try again? Did the CO let you know if your photo was OK? Is it possible on the day to give them a selection of photos and then they can just choose which complies best?

Also do all the 6 photos need to be from the one set or can it be a mixture? 2 for embassy and 4 for medical.

3. I have a high school certificate. But do I also need to take with me a print out of the O*Net job description?

4. Can you take a small purse or wallet into the embassy?

5. For the ladies here, what did you wear to your interview?

1. Yep money sounds correct, as far as a form from the embassy to take with you, don't think I or any of the others that went to Suva around the time I did had anything like that so not too sure. We just took our 2NL/ ds260 confirmation (can't remember what I took honestly, the same folder I took to the embassy that had everything incase) etc

2. One of the other girls on here had issues with theirs at the embassy as it had a shadow on it. Suva actually let her go get more taken after the interview and them bring them back to the embassy on the same day. So don't worry too much! if there is anything wrong, you will have a chance to remedy it while in Suva, they won't deny you for it). But might be worth getting more before you go if you are worried, don't remember where but a few that had to do it were able to get them for like $5 in Suva, super cheap.

3. Shouldn't need Onet if you have high school, but just take everything incase and just hand over what is asked for. Most of us took entire folders and only handed them a few pieces of paper. Better to be over prepared.

4. You can take in things that are communication devices, have to leave phone etc behind. But some people took snacks and other things (I just had my wallet, you need to be able to pay some how so they can't keep everything :p).

5. Not a lady but they didn't have anything special on haha, just regular clothing (jeans + shirt or whatever they had on at the time, its really not very formal).

Good luck with your interview!! Super easy, its just the wait that for your turn that is nerve wracking :)

Last edited: