• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hi folks, hope you're doing well. First of all, thank you so much for your input so far. A special thanks goes to my fellow Frankfurter Butters (Butters, as in South Park Butters? Just wondering :)). I'm not sure what's going on with your case, but I really hope it's sorted out soon and that you'll get your visa shortly. You've been so generous with your advice and assistance to me and, from what I can tell, to others on this forum. I can't think of anything more American than that and I really hope that I'll get to call you 'my fellow American' 5+ years down the road. :)

Anyhow, on to my next question. We had our interview in Frankfurt about a week ago and everything went well. Everyone was extremely kind, nice and accommodating. The CO was very nice and they said that our visa will be approved and explained the process for getting our passports back, etc.

However, one to two days afterwards, the CEAC status changed to 'refused' for the main applicant. I know some folks mentioned that this can happen while the visa is getting issued, but we were also told that the case is with CO 'for review'. Is this AP? I also see a bunch of folks saying their status was set to AP, but I also read that there is technically no AP status in CEAC anymore so I'm a bit confused about this.

Also, I see some folks mentioning that, after the interview, they were given a slip of paper confirming that their visa was approved. However, we never received it. Is that slip of paper part of the usual procedure?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to check whether anyone had a similar experience and would like to kindly share it with us. Thanks in advance.
One of the CEAC statuses is written as Administrative Processing which basically happens once the visa is being printed and is about to change to Issued within hours-days unless something comes up. This is not what people refer to AP or administrative processing.

The other one is written as Refused but has a long text underneath explaining that you would receive a full adjudication once the processing is done. This is the administrative processing or AP that people refer to. If you have this, then you are in administrative processing or AP which everyone refers to. This AP can take days to months depending on the reason behind it. The reasons can be internal within the embassy such as the consulate waiting for the medical results, some documents missing or some additional documents they'd ask for in the interview, mistake by the consulate in clicking the wrong button, or anything else. They can also involve requiring a (security) advisory opinion or consulting with Washington or another embassy to deal with policies surrounding an applicant (e.g. mine is default for my nationality). This external wouldn't happen for a German or EU citizen unless let's say you have a criminal history and they want to ask for a legal opinion from Washington.

What the CO says on the day or the approval paper you get on the day is not legally binding. CO saying that you are approved and then case under-going AP for months happens. I don't know why they put you on AP. It does seem that the CO was happy about the case but then something triggered a review of something from your case either by the same CO or perhaps the supervisor. The one reason to be optimistic is that as you mentioned, they did say that it's with the CO for review (e.g. a message along the lines of "your case is being reviewed by a consular officer"). This implies to me that the AP process is being conducted within the consulate. This is a positive. Also, not getting the DS5535 or a supplemental questions email asking for those questions is another positive.

I would recommend to follow up with the consulate and ask them what's happening. It's a horrible experience. Maybe someone with a similar situation or another Frankfurt person has a similar experience or a better idea of what to do. I would just add that, Frankfurt can be quite busy in August since they invited so many for that one month and so your AP could last longer than you expect because the COs are busy interviewing people and they have a schedule for reviewing the APs. Although, as long as your case is being reviewed by the consulate and not Washington, the chances of being cleared in a timely manner is much higher.

Thanks for the nice first paragraph. Yes, that butters :) although after going through DV, south park doesn't seem like a comedy show anymore. I'm not in Germany, but a neighbouring country, wishing for the best.

Hi all
Sorry for asking this

But I have been put in AP since 7th of May
I am the beneficiary and the winner is my wife
They requested ds-5535 form and I filled it and sent it on 7th of may
The last update I received was jul 21

Do I still have a chance of receiving a visa ? I know this is is unpredictable and I have to wait it out
But I have been in AP for more than 100 days

As you said. - you’ll have to wait. Of course there is a chance, there are 6 weeks left in the fiscal year. The specifics of approval depend on your own case.

Hi folks, hope you're doing well. First of all, thank you so much for your input so far. A special thanks goes to my fellow Frankfurter Butters (Butters, as in South Park Butters? Just wondering :)). I'm not sure what's going on with your case, but I really hope it's sorted out soon and that you'll get your visa shortly. You've been so generous with your advice and assistance to me and, from what I can tell, to others on this forum. I can't think of anything more American than that and I really hope that I'll get to call you 'my fellow American' 5+ years down the road. :)

Anyhow, on to my next question. We had our interview in Frankfurt about a week ago and everything went well. Everyone was extremely kind, nice and accommodating. The CO was very nice and they said that our visa will be approved and explained the process for getting our passports back, etc.

However, one to two days afterwards, the CEAC status changed to 'refused' for the main applicant. I know some folks mentioned that this can happen while the visa is getting issued, but we were also told that the case is with CO 'for review'. Is this AP? I also see a bunch of folks saying their status was set to AP, but I also read that there is technically no AP status in CEAC anymore so I'm a bit confused about this.

Also, I see some folks mentioning that, after the interview, they were given a slip of paper confirming that their visa was approved. However, we never received it. Is that slip of paper part of the usual procedure?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to check whether anyone had a similar experience and would like to kindly share it with us. Thanks in advance.
Definitely sounds like administrative processing from the part I’ve bolded above.
It’s unusual afaik to get a “slip of paper” saying you’re approved. Usually any paper you get is for AP or a refusal.

Hello
My medical exam validity finished and still no final decision. i have left just 29 work days for end fiscal year and have new medical exam and send to embassy it take minimum 2-3 weeks.
I think consular also know about this to send documents to embassy take time , and the bad part is that my passport since April at embassy so i can not take medical report to embassy if they ask from me.
I want ask is it possible consular issue visa if medical report already expired ?
Thanks

Hello
My medical exam validity finished and still no final decision. i have left just 29 work days for end fiscal year and have new medical exam and send to embassy it take minimum 2-3 weeks.
I think consular also know about this to send documents to embassy take time , and the bad part is that my passport since April at embassy so i can not take medical report to embassy if they ask from me.
I want ask is it possible consular issue visa if medical report already expired ?
Thanks
No, it's not possible to issue visa if a medical is expired. In such cases embassy reaches out and asks for a new medical.

Thanks
No, it's not possible to issue visa if a medical is expired. In such cases embassy reaches out and asks for a new medical.
Thanks for response
Some applicant renew medical report by themselves and sent to embassy even co did not ask from them. Thats why i confused should
I pass and send or wait.
Recently 1 applicant after waiting AP 3 month got final refused and his ceac status start display exactly mine refused ( short description) but before it was long text description
My personal opinion i do not think consular made mistake about my ceac status thats why it shows different, probably consular made final decision about my case at the interview and just wait fiscal year finish.Just guessing

Thanks

Thanks for response
Some applicant renew medical report by themselves and sent to embassy even co did not ask from them. Thats why i confused should
I pass and send or wait.
Recently 1 applicant after waiting AP 3 month got final refused and his ceac status start display exactly mine refused ( short description) but before it was long text description
My personal opinion i do not think consular made mistake about my ceac status thats why it shows different, probably consular made final decision about my case at the interview and just wait fiscal year finish.Just guessing
Sure, you can do a medical on your own accord. Did they keep your passport? Sorry, now I read they did. It doesn't make sense in this case to be a final refusal. They'd sent the passport back. Did you inquire the embassy about your case?

Sure, you can do a medical on your own accord. Did they keep your passport? Sorry, now I read they did. It doesn't make sense in this case to be a final refusal. They'd sent the passport back. Did you inquire the embassy about your case?
Applicants from my country we took interview in Georgia other country. At interview co gave me 221g back of paper it marked passport and questionnaire form with answer send to embassy but personally she did not told me send passport. .
When i got public questionnaire form i answered it and send with passport to embassy
I inquired about medical they did not responded
But when asked about case they responded it is still under administrative process.
I attached photos hope i could explain right.

Attachments

• E707BD15-ABE6-4B4D-9617-999915FD3FDC.jpeg
    E707BD15-ABE6-4B4D-9617-999915FD3FDC.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 705D4E19-BA47-4012-8D8C-7D52D4E3B748.jpeg
    705D4E19-BA47-4012-8D8C-7D52D4E3B748.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
there is absolutely no reason they would do this. If they are going to refuse you as a final decision they would just do it and send the passport back. as we have said countless times before they are clearly still going through checks/reviewing your case.

Applicants from my country we took interview in Georgia other country. At interview co gave me 221g back of paper it marked passport and questionnaire form with answer send to embassy but personally she did not told me send passport. .
When i got public questionnaire form i answered it and send with passport to embassy
I inquired about medical they did not responded
But when asked about case they responded it is still under administrative process.
I attached photos hope i could explain right.
Why did they refused a applicant ?
For no reason?

Hi there,

I had my Interview on the 11th of August in Frankfurt, the CO told us our visas will be approved and our visa was already Issued the next day.

But regarding the slip of paper: we did not get it. So it should not mean anything.

Hope your review leads to an approval

Hi there,

I had my Interview on the 11th of August in Frankfurt, the CO told us our visas will be approved and our visa was already Issued the next day.

But regarding the slip of paper: we did not get it. So it should not mean anything.

Hope your review leads to an approval
And regarding the Interview in Frankfurt itself, for anyone who is interested:

Everything took about 1 1/2 hours. Our appointment was at 7:30am, we arrived at 7:00am. There was already a line of people, but it was not as long as later during the day when we exited the building.

After standing in line we showed the visa interview letter, following a security check, where we left a mobile phone behind. We left all other electronics in the car. Please be aware that also Smartwatches have to be left in the car or at the Security check (turned off).

Then we paid the fee (cash and credit cards allowed) and handed out the Proof of document delivery address, our passports, photographs and afterwards waited for our number to be called out.

The first employee checked if the medical exam was already available (which it was) and asked for original documents incl. copies of: the highest degree, Birth and marriage certificates, proof of financial assets as well as police certificates.

The last step was the interview with the CO. The interview went smoothly and the CO was kind and accommodating. As we got married after I won the lottery, she asked some personal questions such as: Where did we meet, how long have we been together, what our regular week looks like and if we have common hobbies. She also asked us about our current jobs and about our plans in the states. She then checked our financial proof, we provided an overview of our stocks and current bank statements. I read somewhere that it is sometimes necessary to show bank statements of the last 12 months, which we brought with us, but the CO did not ask for them. Afterwards she told us that we are eligible and will approve our visas.

The interview was finished then and we left the consulate.

The next day our status already changed to approved and our passport arrived three working days later. As commonly known, we have to immigrate within 6 months of the medical exam which is for us mid january 2023 latest.

I really have to say that I was positively surprised by the kind employees in the consulate. It was a positive experience and we are looking forward to our adventure even more.

I wanted to thank you for all the information provided within the forum, thank you for all the replies. It also helped a lot to read about the experience of fellow applicants.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all cases who still need to pass.

Hi @Sm1smom, @SusieQQQ @Britsimon @Butters. First, thanks for the all the invaluable assistance you give to winners here. So I successfully had my interview last week and I was advised to pick up my passport and that of my derivatives on Thursday. My status along with two other derivatives just changed from "administrative processing" to "issued", but unfortunately one of my derivatives (I don't know whether it is my daughter or 1 month old son), is still on "Ready". According to the hospital, all medical reports have been submitted so I don't know why one derivative is still on ready.
(a) is this normal?
(b) is this likely to affect my receipt of the other passports (with visas issued) come thursday?
(c) How do I know which derivative has this ready status? Is it likely month old son, who I added after I got my 2NL? I need that info in order to make travel arrangements within the region.

Attachments

• 1661270884407.png
    1661270884407.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom, @SusieQQQ @Britsimon @Butters. First, thanks for the all the invaluable assistance you give to winners here. So I successfully had my interview last week and I was advised to pick up my passport and that of my derivatives on Thursday. My status along with two other derivatives just changed from "administrative processing" to "issued", but unfortunately one of my derivatives (I don't know whether it is my daughter or 1 month old son), is still on "Ready". According to the hospital, all medical reports have been submitted so I don't know why one derivative is still on ready.
(a) is this normal?
(b) is this likely to affect my receipt of the other passports (with visas issued) come thursday?
(c) How do I know which derivative has this ready status? Is it likely month old son, who I added after I got my 2NL? I need that info in order to make travel arrangements within the region.
I think you just need to exercise some patience until Thursday (which is basically around the corner) when you pick up your passports. You will get more clarity then as against us trying to speculate re what could be going on with your status updates.