• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Thank you! The USCIS doesn't pay attention to if I have a health insurance or not. Right?
Current immigration laws do not looking into insurance coverage or lack of it, of course that can always change at anytime.

However, here is some unsolicited advice. You really should ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage in place for your family. Make sure you do not end up becoming a public charge (just because USCIS "doesn't pay attention to if you have health insurance or not" by relying on public benefits which you technically may not qualify for. Remember, when the I-944 Self-Sufficiency public charge was in place, you were prepared to fully demonstrate your self-sufficiency to ensure your AOS application was approved. So you should still plan on being self sufficient - my 2 cents thought on that!

is anyone here who got GC with DV as an asylum pending status?
The short answer to your question is "it depends". Some have been approved, some have been denied. You need to shed more insight into your own specific situation in order to get more guidance on this.

Hello Mom,
I have canceled my health insurance that I purchased from my school and want to buy a better plan from Market place soon. Is there any issue in doing so? If yes what should I do now?
Thank you,

just saying-health insurance from school provide the best coverage for the buck in my opinion. I would check before cancelling

I think that depends, to some extent on whether or not you can get employer health coverage as that can be better than a student health - but obviously most students would not be on an employer plan unless they were on a spouse or parent plan. In any case I would most certainly not cancel before having something else in place. You can’t predict what happens, and this healthcare system is ridiculously expensive. An emergency appendectomy as an example can run into tens of thousands of dollars. A simple ER visit can run a few thousand dollars.

Current immigration laws do not looking into insurance coverage or lack of it, of course that can always change at anytime.

However, here is some unsolicited advice. You really should ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage in place for your family. Make sure you do not end up becoming a public charge (just because USCIS "doesn't pay attention to if you have health insurance or not" by relying on public benefits which you technically may not qualify for. Remember, when the I-944 Self-Sufficiency public charge was in place, you were prepared to fully demonstrate your self-sufficiency to ensure your AOS application was approved. So you should still plan on being self sufficient - my 2 cents thought on that!

Thank you very much for your response and I agree with you 100%. I am not going to apply for any public benefits and trying to get a full-time job asap. So far I had 3 interviews and I am likely to be employed very soon.

I think that depends, to some extent on whether or not you can get employer health coverage as that can be better than a student health - but obviously most students would not be on an employer plan unless they were on a spouse or parent plan. In any case I would most certainly not cancel before having something else in place. You can’t predict what happens, and this healthcare system is ridiculously expensive. An emergency appendectomy as an example can run into tens of thousands of dollars. A simple ER visit can run a few thousand dollars.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you very much for your response and I agree with you 100%. I am not going to apply for any public benefits and trying to get a full-time job asap. So far I had 3 interviews and I am likely to be employed very soon.
Best of luck!

Hello,
Our I 485 was denied on October/10 and the denial notice said because of pending asylum is not a status even though we maintained our status before we applied for asylum. During our interview on 9/1/21 the officer told us he is going to approve our case once he receives my name check, We are so frustrating how they changed their minds. My only option is motion. Should I file motion or it just wasting time and money.
Thank you

Hello,
Our I 485 was denied on October/10 and the denial notice said because of pending asylum is not a status even though we maintained our status before we applied for asylum. During our interview on 9/1/21 the officer told us he is going to approve our case once he receives my name check, We are so frustrating how they changed their minds. My only option is motion. Should I file motion or it just wasting time and money.
Thank you
Case law in the past has found that even in cases where uscis was at fault in denial (which is not at all clear here, asylum cases are tricky) appeals were fruitless because the law prevents status being granted after the end of the fiscal year. Sorry about this unfortunate outcome; hopefully the asylum case proceeds successfully.
Example case https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/usao-ct/legacy/2011/11/23/07-5630-cvAmivMukasey .pdf

Hello,
Having missed my DV2021 chance, or is there a chance for me still? I have filled the DV2023 gain,. Can my husbnd apply using the same photes I have used in my DV2023 application?

Hello,
Having missed my DV2021 chance, or is there a chance for me still? I have filled the DV2023 gain,. Can my husbnd apply using the same photes I have used in my DV2023 application?
Yes, you can use the same photos in each spouse’s application.

Did your wife get through with the FTJ process?
Hi Mom.
Thanks for asking, appreciate it.

The embassy told me that they would love to help and will try but they were hopeless because there were 25 cases like mine and only September left so they were not able to have a spot for an interview for my wife and daughter, since DV cases in the lowest 4th priority rank.
I am currently working on form i-130 family petition now

Hi Mom.
Thanks for asking, appreciate it.

The embassy told me that they would love to help and will try but they were hopeless because there were 25 cases like mine and only September left so they were not able to have a spot for an interview for my wife and daughter, since DV cases in the lowest 4th priority rank.
I am currently working on form i-130 family petition now
Thanks for the update and sorry to learn they did not make it. All the best with the I-130 route though.

Thanks for your response. I was concerned when they say you should not use photos that have been used before hence the reason for my asking.
you should not use photos that have been used in previous years’ applications as they are more than 6 months old. Instructions are clear about that: “Submitting the same photograph that was submitted with a prior year’s entry will make you ineligible for a DV.“

Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well.

Unfortunately my wife was hit by a car on Saturday night. Fortunately she has been discharged from the hospital, but needs assistance to walk. The driver ran away. We got the license plate and saw the driver. The police officer said that they will contact me to ID the driver, but no one has contacted us yet.

I also checked the security cameras from a nearby liquor store and found the footage of the driver shopping at the location few minuted earlier. I have asked to have the footage but the owner is yet to get back to me.

I have reached out our university's police department and office of international scholars to seek assistance on what I should do, but I have not heard back from anyone. I'd appreciate any comments on how to proceed and what to do. Thanks!