• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello everyone!
This is my first post in this thread. But, I followed this forum silently. I had a high case number (2021AS22***), so I didn't have much to do in the thread other than reading the posts.
My case became current in June, But I applied for AOS very late (AOS package delivery date: August 31, 2021) due to unavoidable circumstances. So I would like to share my story and timeline with you, hoping that someone will benefits from this in the future.

Last May, I went to my home country to renew my passport, change my visa, and get married without initiating the AOS process since my case number wasn't current at the time. Unfortunately, I got stuck in my home country for three months due to the covid pandemic and lockdown. Finally, I came back with my wife at the end of the first week of August. We started our AOS process as soon as possible, with a bit of hope and knowing that the time might not be enough to finish the AOS process on time.
Here is my timeline.
08/09/21 DS260 submissions for both my wife and me
08/12/21 DV fee delivery
08/12/21 Medical exam
08/16/21 DV fee cashed
08/24/21 2NL received from KCC
08/28/21 DV Fee receipt received
08/31/21 AOS packages delivery (Chicago lockbox)
09/06/21 Acceptance text/email
09/07/21 AOS fee cashed
09/11/21 NoA Letters received
There was no update after that in our cases. So, I decided to call USCIS and was able to connect with a live agent. The agent made an expedited request to our cases since the DV visa deadline is approaching.
09/14/21 Expedite request
Again there has been no update since then. So, we decided to contact the senator based on the senator's website guidelines.
09/20/21 (in the morning) Emailed senator (We didn't get a reply yet)
09/20/21 (in the afternoon) Got the expedite bio appointment letters in email and a call from the local FO to notify the interview date
09/23/21 Expedited bio appointments
09/24/21 Interview Letters Received
09/27/21 Interview appointment and case approved
09/27/21 Case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"
09/28/21 Case status changed to "Case was Approved"

This forum was a great help to prepare the AOS package and understand the AOS process. I was able to find answers to all the questions I had when I was preparing the AOS package by just browsing the thread. So this is an AMAZING forum, and thank you very much, Sm1smom, Britsimon, SusieQQQ, and everyone who has shared their experience.

I wish good luck to those who are still waiting!!
My wife and I received GCs today. She got her SSN as well today in the mail. Happy moment of our lives!!
An update to the timeline:
10/02/21 Approval letters received
10/04/21 Greencards received

Thank you, everyone, again!

Hello Mom and others!

My case status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced" a while ago. Thank you very much for everything you have done!

I don't know whether its feasible, but I want to try to start up the FTJ process for my wife. In order to start it, I need to wait till I have the physical card right?
Did you initiate the FTJ process? How did it pan out?

KCC finally decided to respond to my inqury regarding my KCC file, (which was initiated in August):

Your inquiry is about a diversity visa case number from a prior program year. Information regarding the processing of diversity visas from FY2020 in accordance with the court order in Gomez v. Biden and information regarding the processing of diversity visas from FY2021 in accordance with the court orders in Rai v. Biden, Goodluck v. Biden, and Goh v. Blinken will be published on travel.state.gov as it becomes available.

I just got this today too, after asking them about my file on the 16th of August!

Did you initiate the FTJ process? How did it pan out?
It didn't work mom, since the embassy told that they are not accepting any DV cases at the moment. As a result I filed a petition to my spouse. She got selected to DV 2022 too, but I don't know whether the embassy would able to handle all the DV2022 cases too. Just patiently waiting thinking that something good would happen.

Hello,
1- I got an SSN while I was on F1. Do I need to tell the Social security administration about my new status?
2- Do I need to apply for SSN for my family or they are notified by the USCIS?
Thank you,

It didn't work mom, since the embassy told that they are not accepting any DV cases at the moment. As a result I filed a petition to my spouse. She got selected to DV 2022 too, but I don't know whether the embassy would able to handle all the DV2022 cases too. Just patiently waiting thinking that something good would happen.
That’s amazing that she got selected! Hopefully that will work out, it’s a faster cheaper process.

Hello,
1- I got an SSN while I was on F1. Do I need to tell the Social security administration about my new status?
Thank you,
1. Yes
2. Yes you need to apply

Thanks for responding and congrats on the DV2022 selection. She now has two other options for getting her GC, that's great.

Hello,
Thank you,

Curious to hear how to tell the SSA about the new status? Do you need to set up an appointment or can you just call the general support number?(Im assuming the former) since most of them do not seem to accept walk-ins at the moment...

Hi everyone,
I am a Plaintiff in a lawsuit and my whole family have valid tourist visas.
I didn't risk to do AOS before since I was not sure if that will work, but now I know many people got GC doing AOS with their B1/B2.
My question is: If I plan to enter 90 days before apply for my AOS my whole family need to come with me in the USA? Or only me as main applicant is enough? My husband is currently on a work visa in Canada, so he may not be able to stay for the 90 days.
I know AOS is not confirmed that can be used for the reservation of visas but I was just wondering how do that works.
Lawyers said they are checking on how 2020 reserved visas will be distributed so they have an idea if AOS is possible for the reservation.
Thank you

Hi everyone,
I am a Plaintiff in a lawsuit and my whole family have valid tourist visas.
I didn't risk to do AOS before since I was not sure if that will work, but now I know many people got GC doing AOS with their B1/B2.
My question is: If I plan to enter 90 days before apply for my AOS my whole family need to come with me in the USA? Or only me as main applicant is enough? My husband is currently on a work visa in Canada, so he may not be able to stay for the 90 days.
I know AOS is not confirmed that can be used for the reservation of visas but I was just wondering how do that works.
Lawyers said they are checking on how 2020 reserved visas will be distributed so they have an idea if AOS is possible for the reservation.
Thank you
The response is still the same as previously provided here back in July. Planning on entering the US on a NIV with a preconceived intent of filing AOS is frowned on. This forum cannot provide you with guidance on pre-planning to enter the US with a pre-planned intent of filing for AOS.

Checking in to see how your FTJ ended? Did your spouse make it?
I-824 was approved the same day my I-485 was approved (9/24). I emailed US embassy in my country but they took 3 days to reply and it was already too late. I filed i-130 on 9/30. honestly i am just glad i was able to get mine so i can be free to travel home anytime.

Curious to hear how to tell the SSA about the new status? Do you need to set up an appointment or can you just call the general support number?(Im assuming the former) since most of them do not seem to accept walk-ins at the moment...
Yes, just call your local office and tell them you are a LPR now. In my case I had to schedule an appointment (1 month later) and went in person. I was done in less than 5 minutes.

I-824 was approved the same day my I-485 was approved (9/24). I emailed US embassy in my country but they took 3 days to reply and it was already too late. I filed i-130 on 9/30. honestly i am just glad i was able to get mine so i can be free to travel home anytime.
Thanks for the update. Best of luck with the sponsorship process.