• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello. Made a mistake and put the middle name in the DV Lottery form. My passport has First and Last names in latin and First, Middle and Last names in cyrillic.

E.g.
Passport:
Ivanov Ivan, Иванов Иван Иванович (same as latin but with middle (patronymic) name)
U.S. Visa:
Ivanov Ivan Ivanovich (they transliterate it from cyrillic by themselves)

I wrote in DV Lottery form "Ivanov Ivan Ivanovich" like in my US visa. Also my SSN, driver license have the same full name like in visa.
Russian birth certificate has this name as well.

Do I still have chances? What name should I use in DS-260 and I-485 then?
P.S. Do I use the wrong name in other documents though they were approved by Social Security, DMV, IRS, etc?
P.P.S. Just checked the W-2 and the tax return, they use short name like in passport

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Only recently found out that visa numbers will all become current. As I had a fairly high number and didn't expect to be able to apply this year, I haven't done anything to get the ball rolling yet (i.e., no DS 260 yet). But now I'm considering the AOS option and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm on OPT at the moment, which will expire in July, and I currently have an I-129 petition pending for an E visa. If I applied for AOS, would the pending I-129 petition (or when it gets approved, the new status) pose any problems? In particular, I'm concerned about how the 90-day rule could apply here. Conversely, would an AOS application cause problems with the pending I-129 petition?

Thanks! And apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere.

I am a derivative with dural intent visa (H-1B and approved I-140) filing for AOS.
Can I be the sponsor to my spouse, primary applicant, and fill out I-134?
Page 2, Part 1, 11.e. "I am a lawfully admitted nonimmigrant"
I assume this applies to me.

Thank you.
You don’t need to fill out an I-134 for your spouse, your income/savings are considered jointly owned.

I mean, in general there is no space where putting N/A, if it does not apply to us or we have no data to enter there, should become a problem, no?
Sorry I cannot answer you on this particular question, we already had a long back and forth conversation around the N/A question not too long ago. I’m not going down that road again. And I stand by my response (which you quoted) to the person that asked about a specific issue, and not a generalized N/A related question.

Last edited:
Hello. Made a mistake and put the middle name in the DV Lottery form. My passport has First and Last names in latin and First, Middle and Last names in cyrillic.

E.g.
Passport:
Ivanov Ivan, Иванов Иван Иванович (same as latin but with middle (patronymic) name)
U.S. Visa:
Ivanov Ivan Ivanovich (they transliterate it from cyrillic by themselves)

I wrote in DV Lottery form "Ivanov Ivan Ivanovich" like in my US visa. Also my SSN, driver license have the same full name like in visa.
Russian birth certificate has this name as well.

Do I still have chances? What name should I use in DS-260 and I-485 then?
P.S. Do I use the wrong name in other documents though they were approved by Social Security, DMV, IRS, etc?
P.P.S. Just checked the W-2 and the tax return, they use short name like in passport

Thank you!
What do you consider your official/legal name? Write that down in the name section. Then in the “Other Name” section of the forms, list out all the other variants of your name you’ve used.

Hi all,

Only recently found out that visa numbers will all become current. As I had a fairly high number and didn't expect to be able to apply this year, I haven't done anything to get the ball rolling yet (i.e., no DS 260 yet). But now I'm considering the AOS option and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm on OPT at the moment, which will expire in July, and I currently have an I-129 petition pending for an E visa. If I applied for AOS, would the pending I-129 petition (or when it gets approved, the new status) pose any problems? In particular, I'm concerned about how the 90-day rule could apply here. Conversely, would an AOS application cause problems with the pending I-129 petition?

Thanks! And apologies in advance if this has been answered elsewhere.
1. Not a problem.
2. You are already in the US with a pending E application, you’re not entering the US with an E visa, so I don’t see the correlation with the so called 90 day rule which is non binding on USCIS.
3. No.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one in a post.

Sorry I cannot answer you on this particular question, we already had a long back and forth conversation around the N/A question not too long ago. I’m not going down that road again. And I stand by my response (which you quoted) to the person that asked about a specific issue, and not a generalized N/A related question.
Makes sense.

@Sm1smom so my status changed to "new card in production" finally today . My question is - i filed h1b tranfer few weeks back and i got a reciept as well..do I have to do anything with it ? just wondering if it will cause any complications
Congratulations on the GC approval. The H1B transfer will subsequently get denied once they realize your AOS has been approved. You can proactively send in a withdrawal notice for the H1B transfer AFTER you've received the plastic GC itself, or you can decide to do nothing and wait for USCIS to deny the application on their own.

@Sm1smom so my status changed to "new card in production" finally today . My question is - i filed h1b tranfer few weeks back and i got a reciept as well..do I have to do anything with it ? just wondering if it will cause any complications
Congratulations. It is so great. Wishing you a smooth FTJ.
So it basically took you almost 2 months and a congressional inquiry to get your Green Card approved.

Congratulations. It is so great. Wishing you a smooth FTJ.
So it basically took you almost 2 months and a congressional inquiry to get your Green Card approved.
Thank you and hope you will get good news soon ...Yes it took close to 2 months after the interview. One being KCC was late to send the file - since i had 2 people they sent me an email asking why i didnt pay for both and had to explain them one was FTJ ( that consumed some time as KCC takes 2 weeks for email replies). As for the congressional inquiry - the caseworker emailed yesterday that they got a reply from USCIS telling the case is in review and informed the officer about it ..and this morning it was approved - I guess the congressional inquiry had some effect!.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the GC approval. The H1B transfer will subsequently get denied once they realize your AOS has been approved. You can proactively send in a withdrawal notice for the H1B transfer AFTER you've received the plastic GC itself, or you can decide to do nothing and wait for USCIS to deny the application on their own.
Thank you !... shout out to you for the awesome job you do.. volunteering to answer so many questions for people..

Hello!

Mom, advise me how to be, I have one question:
1) I have an administrative fine issued by a police officer for using a cell phone while driving. I paid the fine. Should I report this information to the i485 (for example, in the part of the offense) or is it not important? How should I complete the i485 and do I need to attach any documents? If this needs to be done, what documents do I need to attach?

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it and I am grateful to you!

Hello!

Mom, advise me how to be, I have one question:
1) I have an administrative fine issued by a police officer for using a cell phone while driving. I paid the fine. Should I report this information to the i485 (for example, in the part of the offense) or is it not important? How should I complete the i485 and do I need to attach any documents? If this needs to be done, what documents do I need to attach?

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it and I am grateful to you!
You were cited and fined, you need to answer yes to the question asking if you’ve ever been cited. Then go to Part 14 on the form to explain what the citation is about and how you’ve already paid the fine.

I figured I'd give an update here rather than just lurking.
We filed AOS in October, Biometrics in December and are unfortunately still waiting for an interview to be scheduled.

It might be helpful to be told that there really is nothing you can do to speed up the process, at least with the Brooklyn field office.

We have spoken to Tier 2 on a few occasions and have even engaged with (fairly helpful) congressional support who had a video call with the field office to discuss our case. Sadly it was not successful, so we must continue to practice patience.

Almost unbelievably, my wife was once again selected for DV2022, but we REALLY hope that is a backup that we do not need.

Since we were selected in DV2021, my daughter has been conceived, born, and had her US passport issued.

I figured I'd give an update here rather than just lurking.
We filed AOS in October, Biometrics in December and are unfortunately still waiting for an interview to be scheduled.

It might be helpful to be told that there really is nothing you can do to speed up the process, at least with the Brooklyn field office.

We have spoken to Tier 2 on a few occasions and have even engaged with (fairly helpful) congressional support who had a video call with the field office to discuss our case. Sadly it was not successful, so we must continue to practice patience.

Almost unbelievably, my wife was once again selected for DV2022, but we REALLY hope that is a backup that we do not need.

Since we were selected in DV2021, my daughter has been conceived, born, and had her US passport issued.
Do you know if Brooklyn batches DV cases?