• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

@Sm1smom quick question does the second background check take longer than the initial one? ..Given that you already gone to the interview
I think you need to make your question more clear, your question seem to suggest there are two background checks involved for AOS applicants.

I think you need to make your question more clear, your question seem to suggest there are two background checks involved for AOS applicants.
@Sm1smom So i have a long name- i had to put part of my first name in the middle name section in the DV entry ..but in the i485 i could fit everything. Now i went to the interview but office cudnt approve since KCC file was not there. Now that KCC confirmed my file was sent about 3-4 weeks back my case is still not approved. Im guessing the name difference triggered another background check - so my question is does the second background check differ from the initial one ?...and does it take longer ?

I really think this falls well into the realm of overthinking. I’ve never heard of a signature required package, whether Usps, ups or FedEx, attempt being delivered after hours at a business address. And if there is no one to accept it (happened to me at my home address once) they will re-attempt delivery the next day, they don’t just send it back.
I’m indead (unfortunately) the king of that realm. Thanks for reassuring.

@Sm1smom So i have a long name- i had to put part of my first name in the middle name section in the DV entry ..but in the i485 i could fit everything. Now i went to the interview but office cudnt approve since KCC file was not there. Now that KCC confirmed my file was sent about 3-4 weeks back my case is still not approved. Im guessing the name difference triggered another background check - so my question is does the second background check differ from the initial one ?...and does it take longer ?
Well, you don’t know if your background check had cleared when you attended your interview or did your IO confirm the background check had cleared?

Well, you don’t know if your background check had cleared when you attended your interview or did your IO confirm the background check had cleared?
@Sm1smom It was cleared when i went to the interview - confirmed by IO

Also i did not put anything in the "other names portion" of the i485 either! - thinking i never used a different name :(

1. Each applicant is required to have an individual I-485 including a day old baby.
2. Not a problem if you don’t have your vaccination card. The CS will only give you the medically age appropriate vaccines which is about 2 or 3 in this case. Take a look at the “Medical” tab of the AOS process spreadsheet for more on this.
Thank you Mom for the detailed answers! What you are doing is invaluable to us!

You fill that section on their behalf. The instructions says:

Signature. Each application must be properly signed and filed. For all signatures on this application, USCIS will not accept a stamped or typewritten name in place of a signature. If you are under 14 years of age, your parent or legal guardian may sign the application on your behalf.”
Now it's clear, thank you!

@Sm1smom It was cleared when i went to the interview - confirmed by IO

Also i did not put anything in the "other names portion" of the i485 either! - thinking i never used a different name :(
Okay, so you're assuming they decided to run another background check. Well, there's no way to determine how long a background check takes regardless of if it was a "second" one one. It all depends on what the check reveals, which may require further/escalated checks.

I’m sorry for that question…

1.5 weeks ago I asked KCC to switch me to AOS processing and sent them a check (KCC haven’t answered and my check hasn’t been paid yet).

Instead of that KCC sent me “documents received” email today, which means my case is ready to be scheduled for an interview in my country when slots are available, probably in Jul/Aug.

As I mentioned earlier I would prefer CP over AOS, and I’m also ok to pay $330*family members amount fee and continue to obtain needed forms, medical exams, etc in the US while waiting for the receipt, but I’m thinking about asking KCC to cancel my switching to AOS to be in a list of the applicants which may be scheduled in my country’s US embassy.

1. Will they accept my check ($330*3 fee) and send me the recipe if I ask KCC to cancel my switching to AOS?

2. In case my embassy didn’t schedule an interview before I receive the check I would send AOS package with the check (and ask KCC to switch me to AOS).

I understand that it looks stupid, but family reasons push me to ask that kind of question here((

I’m sorry for that question…

1.5 weeks ago I asked KCC to switch me to AOS processing and sent them a check (KCC haven’t answered and my check hasn’t been paid yet).

Instead of that KCC sent me “documents received” email today, which means my case is ready to be scheduled for an interview in my country when slots are available, probably in Jul/Aug.

As I mentioned earlier I would prefer CP over AOS, and I’m also ok to pay $330*family members amount fee and continue to obtain needed forms, medical exams, etc in the US while waiting for the receipt, but I’m thinking about asking KCC to cancel my switching to AOS to be in a list of the applicants which may be scheduled in my country’s US embassy.

1. Will they accept my check ($330*3 fee) and send me the recipe if I ask KCC to cancel my switching to AOS?

2. In case my embassy didn’t schedule an interview before I receive the check I would send AOS package with the check (and ask KCC to switch me to AOS).

I understand that it looks stupid, but family reasons push me to ask that kind of question here((
1. US DOS personnel will go ahead and cash the payment regardless of if KCC has reviewed your request to change from CP to AOS or vice versa - they will not cross check with KCC before doing so.
2. If KCC already processed your second change request and has subsequently sent your KCC file to the embassy, even if you do not have an interview date scheduled, they will not entertain a third change request at that point. You will need to work directly with the embassy to get your KCC case file sent to over to the FO with jurisdiction over the AOS case. Without the KCC file, your AOS application cannot be approved.

Okay, so you're assuming they decided to run another background check. Well, there's no way to determine how long a background check takes regardless of if it was a "second" one one. It all depends on what the check reveals, which may require further/escalated checks.
Thank for the reply - i was wondering - generally what would be the time line for a second check if a name doesn't have red flags!.

@Sm1smom I just saw a comment that u said on form I485 we should leave the A# blank if we do not have one, I put N/A to that for my application which I am sending very soon. do u think it may cause a problem if i send like this TIA.

I am a derivative with dural intent visa (H-1B and approved I-140) filing for AOS.
Can I be the sponsor to my spouse, primary applicant, and fill out I-134?
Page 2, Part 1, 11.e. "I am a lawfully admitted nonimmigrant"
I assume this applies to me.

Thank you.