• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Thank you for your advice. I just hope Trump does not put a ban on OPT next year or else I'm screwed!
Hi ishmog,

I have a quick question regarding your timeline.
Thank you for your advice. I just hope Trump does not put a ban on OPT next year or else I'm screwed!

03/16/21 - Paid DV administrative fee and sent the check to DoS
03/18/21 - DV fee delivered to DoS
03/22/21 - DV fee check was cashed
04/13/21 - KCC 2NL received (confirmation about AOS)
04/13/21 - DV fee back receipt received
04/14/21 - EAD Card Received (OPT approved)

How did you get this OPT? Did you get it through 765 or through the DV process? I am in F1 and my OPT will expire on August 21. My case number is opened for the month of June. I am in confusion that, shall I apply for my STEM OPT renewal or not?

04/25/21 - Received SSN through OPT

And another question arose, Mom, I apologize:
How am I supposed to fill in part 10 in I485 for minor children if I, their parent, and not themselves, filled it in I485?

Thanks for your hard work, Mom!
You fill that section on their behalf. The instructions says:

Signature. Each application must be properly signed and filed. For all signatures on this application, USCIS will not accept a stamped or typewritten name in place of a signature. If you are under 14 years of age, your parent or legal guardian may sign the application on your behalf.”

Hi ishmog,

I have a quick question regarding your timeline.

03/16/21 - Paid DV administrative fee and sent the check to DoS
03/18/21 - DV fee delivered to DoS
03/22/21 - DV fee check was cashed
04/13/21 - KCC 2NL received (confirmation about AOS)
04/13/21 - DV fee back receipt received
04/14/21 - EAD Card Received (OPT approved)

How did you get this OPT? Did you get it through 765 or through the DV process? I am in F1 and my OPT will expire on August 21. My case number is opened for the month of June. I am in confusion that, shall I apply for my STEM OPT renewal or not?

04/25/21 - Received SSN through OPT
No one gets OPT via DV, OPT is tied to your student status. If your current OPT approval is set to expire in August and you’re eligible for extension, you should apply for it as this enables you to remain in the US just in case your AOS application gets denied for some reason.

No one gets OPT via DV, OPT is tied to your student status. If your current OPT approval is set to expire in August and you’re eligible for extension, you should apply for it as this enables you to remain in the US just in case your AOS application gets denied for some reason.
Thank you so much. As I saw it on the timeline, I was kind of curious about it. Yes, I am eligible for a STEM OPT extension. My case number is released for June. I read some posts saying applying for AOS and OPT extension at the same time makes the conflict in immigration intent and there is a chance of getting OPT extension rejected. Some say they did it and got the extension. Here is my plan:

1: As my case number is current for June, I am going to file I485 (once I get a receipt for the DV processing fee)
2: I will submit for the extension of my OPT (I765 form)

One more question:

3: When I read the letter from USCIS, it says all process must be done by the end of September, does that means everything should be done (like you get your GC) at that time or the document submission process should be done by that time and we can wait for GC and other things?

Please provide your suggestions if any you have. Your response. has been very very helpful.

On from i-485, Part 2, Question 2: Are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i).

Should I answer YES?

Thank you so much. As I saw it on the timeline, I was kind of curious about it. Yes, I am eligible for a STEM OPT extension. My case number is released for June. I read some posts saying applying for AOS and OPT extension at the same time makes the conflict in immigration intent and there is a chance of getting OPT extension rejected. Some say they did it and got the extension. Here is my plan:

1: As my case number is current for June, I am going to file I485 (once I get a receipt for the DV processing fee)

One more question:

3: When I read the letter from USCIS, it says all process must be done by the end of September, does that means everything should be done (like you get your GC) at that time or the document submission process should be done by that time and we can wait for GC and other things?

Please provide your suggestions if any you have. Your response. has been very very helpful.
Your case must be approved by September 30th.

One more question:

1. No question asked
2. No question asked
3. Case must be approved by COB 9/30 which is the last day of the FY.

On from i-485, Part 2, Question 2: Are you applying for adjustment based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i).

Should I answer YES?
You should answer “YES” if you’re not eligible to file for AOS and will be submitting a waiver for that ineligibility. If you’re eligible then select “NO”

1. When filing AOS for 2 adults, can I combine the fees for both in a single from G-1450?
2. Does the lockbox accept a box for the packet?

1. When filing AOS for 2 adults, can I combine the fees for both in a single from G-1450?
1. Not a good idea, your package will likely be rejected for overpayment. If you look at the form itself, it says “Applicant’s Name” - clue indicating each applicant is expected to have their own G-1450 since only one applicant can be listed on the form.
2. Yes

You should seriously consider paying by check anyway. If you haven't already, make sure you read the instructions about the payment methods, and read the recent threads on credit card issues. The lockbox will only try your card ONCE, and if the payment is denied, they'll reject your package.

You should seriously consider paying by check anyway. If you haven't already, make sure you read the instructions about the payment methods, and read the recent threads on credit card issues. The lockbox will only try your card ONCE, and if the payment is denied, they'll reject your package.
YES! (and if you go with credit card, make sure it is NOT AMEX!)

Not really, I like the customer service at FedEx better than USPS. I never had a bad experience there compared to the USPS close to my apartment. I don't know about the others but FedEx has always been my preferred method of shipping when it comes to mailing important documents/parcel. I just trust their service more.
And one last question did you send it with regular express ($12) or did you ask the package to be delivered at a designated time? I am asking because I’m worried that they might deliver this package after hours and they will return it because of that.

And one last question did you send it with regular express ($12) or did you ask the package to be delivered at a designated time? I am asking because I’m worried that they might deliver this package after hours and they will return it because of that.
I really think this falls well into the realm of overthinking. I’ve never heard of a signature required package, whether Usps, ups or FedEx, attempt being delivered after hours at a business address. And if there is no one to accept it (happened to me at my home address once) they will re-attempt delivery the next day, they don’t just send it back.

1. Not a good idea, your package will likely be rejected for overpayment. If you look at the form itself, it says “Applicant’s Name” - clue indicating each applicant is expected to have their own G-1450 since only one applicant can be listed on the form.
2. Yes
Thank you.

Thank you.

I really think this falls well into the realm of overthinking. I’ve never heard of a signature required package, whether Usps, ups or FedEx, attempt being delivered after hours at a business address. And if there is no one to accept it (happened to me at my home address once) they will re-attempt delivery the next day, they don’t just send it back.

+1...They probably arrive at a loading bay at the same time every day with dozens of packages. For peace of mind, if you're paranoid, then don't arrange to have it delivered on Saturday or Sunday because you'll be worrying about it going missing in the depot waiting for redelivery.

Hi there! We are about to send our AOS Package including the application form I-765 employment authorization since we want a smooth transition from L1B.

I wanted to ask a quick question. I see that on the AOS Package tab of the spreadsheet, copy of SSN might be applicable.
Who is recommended/needed to send a copy of SSN? In other words, is there any specific form or any specific current visa status that might require a copy of SSN? We are trying to see if that applies to our AOS Package or not.

We are on L1B currently working in the US and also applying to I-765 in the AOS Package.
Thank you for your help!!

Hi there! We are about to send our AOS Package including the application form I-765 employment authorization since we want a smooth transition from L1B.

I wanted to ask a quick question. I see that on the AOS Package tab of the spreadsheet, copy of SSN might be applicable.
Who is recommended/needed to send a copy of SSN? In other words, is there any specific form or any specific current visa status that might require a copy of SSN? We are trying to see if that applies to our AOS Package or not.

We are on L1B currently working in the US and also applying to I-765 in the AOS Package.
Thank you for your help!!
Anyone authorized to work (and is working) will have an existing SSN - is applicable to them.

On a separate note, I doubt you will receive the EAD card before the GC at this point in time considering current processing time for EAD is roughly 4-5months.