• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi mom, for my Hong Kong Birth Certificate, mine has both English and Chinese on it, do i still need a fully translated version?

You should get one, to be safe. If you send your package without one, you're going to be fretting and worrying for weeks. Maybe you would get away with it, maybe not. Don't take the chance. The instructions say if you submit any document with any foreign language, you must submit a signed, certified translation. Someone recently posted the certification text that most people use.

Our international student services told me that they allowed online filling like a week ago. How did that data came out? Or maybe they are wrong . . .
Because the online filing was made available weeks before before officially announcement, and the official announcement happened two weeks ago and people got approved within a week.

Take it with grain of salt. But I don't understand how doubting the validity of this information will help you in deciding which route you take.

Screenshot_20210429-184129_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought id check ...What options are there for me ?
KCC emailed me last week stating my file was forwarded to USCIS ...its been more than 1 month after the interview ..still no update,given that the FO approved my case but couldnt approve on the system as KCC file was not there.
Tried to get a infopass no luck. Tried talking to tier 2 no luck ..submitted a congressional inquiring no one contacted me yet on that too!
Is there any way i can contact field office??..
can i send a letter to the USCIS field office as a last resort? ...
Has this happen to anyone ..or anyone in this forum has seen this sort of thing happen to anyone else?

KCC emailed me last week stating my file was forwarded to USCIS ...its been more than 1 month after the interview ..still no update,given that the FO approved my case but couldnt approve on the system as KCC file was not there.
Tried to get a infopass no luck. Tried talking to tier 2 no luck ..submitted a congressional inquiring no one contacted me yet on that too!
Has this happen to anyone ..or anyone in this forum has seen this sort of thing happen to anyone else?
There are a couple of people whose timelines show that they have been interviewed a while ago but have not received their GC yet. I don't know the specifics of their cases though. It's also possible that they simply have not updated the spreadsheet. How long has it been since you contacted your congressperson? And have you tried your senator's office? My congresswoman's office never got back to me but my senator's office contacted me within 24 hours. I don't know if you can send a letter somewhere but I know that if you find an agent who is willing to help, they can place an inquiry with the FO on your behalf.

Preferably she should certify she is not your family.
Well, that would be a lie, right? And I hope you realize there are consequences associated with lying to an immigration officer.

Just so you know, this forum does not condone encouraging or guiding people to engage in fraudulent immigration practices

Have you submitted service request for not receiving approval?

Are you in the 5th District (Congresswoman Ilhan Omar) of MN? Last summer my husband submitted an inquiry to her office and someone got back to us the next day. Of course it's not like she will get you an approval, but at least her office is responsive.

There are a couple of people whose timelines show that they have been interviewed a while ago but have not received their GC yet. I don't know the specifics of their cases though. It's also possible that they simply have not updated the spreadsheet. How long has it been since you contacted your congressperson? And have you tried your senator's office? My congresswoman's office never got back to me but my senator's office contacted me within 24 hours. I don't know if you can send a letter somewhere but I know that if you find an agent who is willing to help, they can place an inquiry with the FO on your behalf.
Are you in the 5th District (Congresswoman Ilhan Omar) of MN? Last summer my husband submitted an inquiry to her office and someone got back to us the next day. Of course it's not like she will get you an approval, but at least her office is responsive.

I contact senator amy klobucher office ..they replied that my case was sent to a case worker but no one contacted me after that...i did talk with a tier 2 agent they were not very helpful - said to wait few more weeks

I contact senator amy klobucher office ..they replied that my case was sent to a case worker but no one contacted me after that...i did talk with a tier 2 agent they were not very helpful - said to wait few more weeks
Then I guess the case worker will likely need a couple more days to work with USCIS and figure out your case.

I was planning to share my interview experience after I get approved. However, it looks like I will have to wait for a while to get approval and I am forgetting details, so here I am. This would be a long read!

I am on F1 doing AOS, and my husband is abroad waiting for FTJ. Case number AS5xxx became current in March, but I did early filing at the end of Jan. At the time I-944 was still required, so I included all supporting documents for I-944 in my AOS package, such as W-2s, tax transcripts, 12-month bank statements, equivalent evaluations of all my diplomas, health insurance policy, credit history and credit score, etc. I am unsure if the IO looked at those supporting documents since I-944 was no longer required. However, he had no question about my financial situation during my interview, so I guess that those I-944 supporting documents per se serve as suitable financial supports.

The I-485 receipt notice had a typo in my first name, and that was a USCIS administrative error. Mom said it could be fixed during the interview. I still got in touch with a Tier 2 officer through Emma before I had my interview. Their response was to leave the typo to the IO, as Mom had suggested.

I was waiting for my interview notice after I finished my biometrics appointment. Last Thursday, I got an email from my FO saying that there would be an open slot for an interview on the coming Monday due to cancellation and asking if I would be interested. Of course, I took the available appointment. It was exciting but also a bit stressful given that I had only 4 days to prepare for the interview. I went through the "interview tips" tab in the spreadsheet that Mom put together multiple times and experiences other fellows shared on this forum. I re-printed the whole AOS package, brought all the original (birth certificate, diplomas, marriage certificate, etc.) and prepared additional copies.

On the interview day, I went through security and checked in, waited in the lobby for less than 10 mins and got called. The IO was friendly, and he only asked to see my driver's license, passport, and SSN. He went through all the questions in I-485, including name, DOB, address, parents' names, spouse's name, DOB and marriage date. He asked what visa I had before my F1, my travel history to the US, and the longest stay before F1. He also asked if I had maintained my status the whole time. That was pretty much it. I was surprised that he did not ask for any original document besides my driver's license, passport, and SSN, but that might be FO-specific. I asked him about the typo in my name and he assured me that there would be no typo in my green card. He said he needed to do some final background check, but it should go through no later than the next day (Tue).

Then I asked about how to initiate my husband's FTJ. This was the hard part :( I filled Form I-824 and attempted to submit it to him. He did not accept it, even after consulting with his supervisor over the phone. Their conclusion was to file Form I-824 to the lockbox. I mentioned the average processing time for Form I-824 was like 6-8 months (it was actually way longer than that according to the USCIS website). He said just file it with a cover letter explaining this DV-based I-824 FTJ needs to be expedited. He said even people schedule an infopass that would be the only information he could give. So that was my failed attempt. In the end the IO gave me a notice of interview results, saying that my case is being held for review. And that is also my online case status since the interview.

The next morning (Day 2) I got an email from KCC saying that the size of my case was two but I only paid for one person's DV fee. I wrote back and explained that I was the only person doing AOS and my husband would do FTJ and pay his DV fee at the consulate. I also asked for further guidance on how to initiate FTJ. From other fellows' experiences, I might need to wait for a while for KCC's response. I assume the IO requested a visa number from KCC, which triggered KCC's question about not paying the full DV fee for two people.

This morning (Day 4) I got a phone call from the IO. He told me that KCC asked him why my husband was not adjusting status with me, basically the same question that I got from KCC. He wanted me to provide a written statement explaining our situation (and sign and date), which I dropped at FO before noon today. Hopefully this can clear KCC's concern so that the IO can adjudicate my case soon. For fellow AOSers who will be doing FTJ for dependents: it might not be a bad idea to include a written statement in either the form accompanied your DV fee to KCC and/or in the AOS package so that everyone (USCIS & KCC) is on the same page.

Regarding spouse's FTJ:
We both submitted DS-260 last September, indicating that I would do AOS whereas my spouse would do FTJ. After I received the I-485 receipt notice, I also sent both of our civil documents to KCCDVDocument@state.gov. I did not hear anything back from KCC as expected. After my interview, I contacted my consulate inquiring about the FTJ process. They responded that since my application is still pending with the KCC process, I should contact KCC for further guidance. I did inform and inquire KCC about FTJ when responding to their email. I am also prepared to file I-824 once I get my AOS approval notice if necessary. One question I have is whether there is any additional step that I can take to facilitate the FTJ process.

Lastly, I am so grateful to this forum :) and appreciate all the efforts that @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ have put in and feedback from other DV2021 fellows. I am almost halfway through this AOS+FTJ journey and will definitely come back to update.

I was planning to share my interview experience after I get approved. However, it looks like I will have to wait for a while to get approval and I am forgetting details, so here I am. This would be a long read!

I am on F1 doing AOS, and my husband is abroad waiting for FTJ. Case number AS5xxx became current in March, but I did early filing at the end of Jan. At the time I-944 was still required, so I included all supporting documents for I-944 in my AOS package, such as W-2s, tax transcripts, 12-month bank statements, equivalent evaluations of all my diplomas, health insurance policy, credit history and credit score, etc. I am unsure if the IO looked at those supporting documents since I-944 was no longer required. However, he had no question about my financial situation during my interview, so I guess that those I-944 supporting documents per se serve as suitable financial supports.

The I-485 receipt notice had a typo in my first name, and that was a USCIS administrative error. Mom said it could be fixed during the interview. I still got in touch with a Tier 2 officer through Emma before I had my interview. Their response was to leave the typo to the IO, as Mom had suggested.

I was waiting for my interview notice after I finished my biometrics appointment. Last Thursday, I got an email from my FO saying that there would be an open slot for an interview on the coming Monday due to cancellation and asking if I would be interested. Of course, I took the available appointment. It was exciting but also a bit stressful given that I had only 4 days to prepare for the interview. I went through the "interview tips" tab in the spreadsheet that Mom put together multiple times and experiences other fellows shared on this forum. I re-printed the whole AOS package, brought all the original (birth certificate, diplomas, marriage certificate, etc.) and prepared additional copies.

On the interview day, I went through security and checked in, waited in the lobby for less than 10 mins and got called. The IO was friendly, and he only asked to see my driver's license, passport, and SSN. He went through all the questions in I-485, including name, DOB, address, parents' names, spouse's name, DOB and marriage date. He asked what visa I had before my F1, my travel history to the US, and the longest stay before F1. He also asked if I had maintained my status the whole time. That was pretty much it. I was surprised that he did not ask for any original document besides my driver's license, passport, and SSN, but that might be FO-specific. I asked him about the typo in my name and he assured me that there would be no typo in my green card. He said he needed to do some final background check, but it should go through no later than the next day (Tue).

Then I asked about how to initiate my husband's FTJ. This was the hard part :( I filled Form I-824 and attempted to submit it to him. He did not accept it, even after consulting with his supervisor over the phone. Their conclusion was to file Form I-824 to the lockbox. I mentioned the average processing time for Form I-824 was like 6-8 months (it was actually way longer than that according to the USCIS website). He said just file it with a cover letter explaining this DV-based I-824 FTJ needs to be expedited. He said even people schedule an infopass that would be the only information he could give. So that was my failed attempt. In the end the IO gave me a notice of interview results, saying that my case is being held for review. And that is also my online case status since the interview.

The next morning (Day 2) I got an email from KCC saying that the size of my case was two but I only paid for one person's DV fee. I wrote back and explained that I was the only person doing AOS and my husband would do FTJ and pay his DV fee at the consulate. I also asked for further guidance on how to initiate FTJ. From other fellows' experiences, I might need to wait for a while for KCC's response. I assume the IO requested a visa number from KCC, which triggered KCC's question about not paying the full DV fee for two people.

This morning (Day 4) I got a phone call from the IO. He told me that KCC asked him why my husband was not adjusting status with me, basically the same question that I got from KCC. He wanted me to provide a written statement explaining our situation (and sign and date), which I dropped at FO before noon today. Hopefully this can clear KCC's concern so that the IO can adjudicate my case soon. For fellow AOSers who will be doing FTJ for dependents: it might not be a bad idea to include a written statement in either the form accompanied your DV fee to KCC and/or in the AOS package so that everyone (USCIS & KCC) is on the same page.

Regarding spouse's FTJ:
We both submitted DS-260 last September, indicating that I would do AOS whereas my spouse would do FTJ. After I received the I-485 receipt notice, I also sent both of our civil documents to KCCDVDocument@state.gov. I did not hear anything back from KCC as expected. After my interview, I contacted my consulate inquiring about the FTJ process. They responded that since my application is still pending with the KCC process, I should contact KCC for further guidance. I did inform and inquire KCC about FTJ when responding to their email. I am also prepared to file I-824 once I get my AOS approval notice if necessary. One question I have is whether there is any additional step that I can take to facilitate the FTJ process.

Lastly, I am so grateful to this forum :) and appreciate all the efforts that @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ have put in and feedback from other DV2021 fellows. I am almost halfway through this AOS+FTJ journey and will definitely come back to update.
I got the same email from KCC for FTJ after the interview-- they said thefile size was 2 and only paid for one bla bla ..when we clearly mentioned KCC that my wife was doing FTJ :) . I even included a cover letter had the ds260 already filed stating that my wife was doing FTJ. Now the sad part is they will reply to your email only after 2 weeks ...so basically it will take 2 weeks for your file to be sent to USCIS. I hope this wont happen to you !

regarding FTJ : can we start any paper for for FTJ before primary AOS application is approved?

Hi, Mom and everyone on the forum! As I'm finalizing i-485 I wanted to clarify a few things:
1) In part 1 ques 22 a " was inspected .. and admitted as" : As I'm on an F-1 student visa I wrote student there. Should I add F-1 to the answer like a student(F1) or just F-1?
2) In part 3 ques 9a: They ask for the most recent address outside the US where you lived for more than ONE year. In my last address outside the US, I only lived 10 months not a year and I already included that address in answering 5-8 questions which are about 5 years time window. Should I include another address that is not my most recent address outside but it's the one where I lived longer than a year? Or it doesn't make a difference whether it's 10 months or a year so I could leave ques 9 blank as I already included my 10-months stay address in 8a-b?
3) In part 3 ques 19 which is about the most recent employer outside of the US: My husband only had part-time seasonal work for 2-3 months outside of the U.S. so his full-time work experience is in the U.S only. Should we list that part-time job as the most recent employment outside the US?
4) part 6 ques 1: in the number of children would None be ok or should I put 0?
Thank you :)!

My own experience was that I got my 2NL only after I paid DV fee (and even after I got the DV fee receipt). However, it seems that KCC handles 2NL differently so I can not say it for sure.

Just to clarify, when you said you "sent supporting documents to KCC", did you mean that you send civil documents to KCCDVDocument@state.gov via email, or simply submitting DS-260 online?
Yes, I sent the documents to KCCDVDocument@state.gov via email, after I submit DS-260.

Hi, Mom and everyone on the forum! As I'm finalizing i-485 I wanted to clarify a few things:
1) In part 1 ques 22 a " was inspected .. and admitted as" : As I'm on an F-1 student visa I wrote student there. Should I add F-1 to the answer like a student(F1) or just F-1?
2) In part 3 ques 9a: They ask for the most recent address outside the US where you lived for more than ONE year. In my last address outside the US, I only lived 10 months not a year and I already included that address in answering 5-8 questions which are about 5 years time window. Should I include another address that is not my most recent address outside but it's the one where I lived longer than a year? Or it doesn't make a difference whether it's 10 months or a year so I could leave ques 9 blank as I already included my 10-months stay address in 8a-b?
3) In part 3 ques 19 which is about the most recent employer outside of the US: My husband only had part-time seasonal work for 2-3 months outside of the U.S. so his full-time work experience is in the U.S only. Should we list that part-time job as the most recent employment outside the US?
4) part 6 ques 1: in the number of children would None be ok or should I put 0?
Thank you :)!
1. That question already has a couple of examples listed, right? Just follow that.
2&3. Use your discretion, don’t over analyze.
4. Instructions says to list “None” if you have no kids.

I’m not quite sure you understand the difference between supporting documents and the DS260 submission. The attachment in your first post is what people get following the DS260 form submission, but you’re claiming that was what you received after your documents submission. That makes no sense to me.
I am sorry that maybe I caused some confusion. The picture in my first post received after I submit DS260. Then, I emailed supporting documents. That's all. I just found out that I don't have to send supporting documents if I am doing AOS, thanks to you guys. So now, I am only missing my 2NL, which I might receive after I did the DV fee, I guess.