• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello Everyone. And congratulations.

I have won the Dv for 2021 and elected to go with the AOS which I have already paid the $330 and gotten the receipt with stamp.
However, my current visa will expire at the end of May 2021 (I-94 expires 2022) and my case number is OC 1350+.

Going of the last 5 years of visa bulletins, my case number will not be ready until July/August perhaps June best case.

I am still conflicted as wether I should stay in the USA to file once my visa has expired or return back to Australia to file from there.

Is it possible to go back from AOS to CP?
Is it a fast process?
I am in two minds at the moment in regards to which would be the fastest and easiest way for myself.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

You certainly can’t remain in the US, nor file for AOS if your current status has already expired before your CN becomes current. You’re required to be in a valid authorized status in order to be eligible to file AOS.

Yes it is possible to switch from AOS to CP, however you can’t wait for too long to make the switch as you will need to give KCC enough time to process your DS260, send in required documents, and have those processed also before KCC can schedule your CP interview after your CN becomes current.

Hi, Could you give me an advice.
I have number EU6800 and expect it to become current in November/December. I plan to move to other place in the same area somewhere in December.
Should I rent a PO box and use it as a mailing address in USCIS, so that I wouldn't have a problem with change of mailing address and would know, that my GC still is going to be shipped to PO box after I change my physical address?

Hi, Could you give me an advice.
I have number EU6800 and expect it to become current in November/December. I plan to move to other place in the same area somewhere in December.
Should I rent a PO box and use it as a mailing address in USCIS, so that I wouldn't have a problem with change of mailing address and would know, that my GC still is going to be shipped to PO box after I change my physical address?

Yes, that is a good idea.

Hi @Sm1smom,
My wife received her STEM OPT EAD yesterday. Now we are filling out the DS-260 forms and I have the following confusions:
1. Under the work/education section, I have listed my primary occupation as "Student" while I am working as a Graduate Assistant at the university. Do I need to separately add new employment to indicated my current work as a Graduate Assistant?
2. I am currently pursuing Ph.D., so while listing the educational institutions, I tried to input today's date under "Date of Attendance To:" but I was not able to do that and I have used yesterday's date in there. Is this what I have to do for an ongoing study?
3. Under security and background sections, "Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. Law?" I answered Yes to this question. Am I correct?
4. Under security and background sections, "Do you seek to enter the United States for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor but have not yet been certified by the Secretary of Labor?" I answered No to this question. Am I correct?

Hi,
1) I have case number AS48** from Iran. I was wondering what date range would be a reasonable to do the medical exam.
2) In the I-485 form instruction it is mentioned that DV program applicants "Must Submit Form I-944 (and not Form I-864)". I was wondering if this is the latest rule (Since the form is 10/15/19)?
Thanks

Hi,
1) I have case number AS48** from Iran. I was wondering what date range would be a reasonable to do the medical exam.
2) In the I-485 form instruction it is mentioned that DV program applicants "Must Submit Form I-944 (and not Form I-864)". I was wondering if this is the latest rule (Since the form is 10/15/19)?
Thanks
1. Your medical exam should be signed and dated no earlier than 60 days before you filled your application. so plan accordingly.
2.you can visit USCIS public charge page to see the latest information. By the time you fill your AoS ruling might be different.

Hi @Sm1smom,
My wife received her STEM OPT EAD yesterday. Now we are filling out the DS-260 forms and I have the following confusions:
1. Under the work/education section, I have listed my primary occupation as "Student" while I am working as a Graduate Assistant at the university. Do I need to separately add new employment to indicated my current work as a Graduate Assistant?
2. I am currently pursuing Ph.D., so while listing the educational institutions, I tried to input today's date under "Date of Attendance To:" but I was not able to do that and I have used yesterday's date in there. Is this what I have to do for an ongoing study?
3. Under security and background sections, "Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. Law?" I answered Yes to this question. Am I correct?
4. Under security and background sections, "Do you seek to enter the United States for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor but have not yet been certified by the Secretary of Labor?" I answered No to this question. Am I correct?

1. Yes, list the GA work under the employment section.
2. Leave the “TO” section blank, or disable java script in Adobe and type in “PRESENT”. You can also handwrite “PRESENT” after downloading the form.
3. Technically not quite correct, but it doesn’t matter whether you select Yes or No, you’re still going to do the medical exam anyways.
That is correct.

Hi,
Thanks

1. You’ll need to monitor the VB to see how the CNs are progressing, then target the medical exam date completion to ensure it is within the 60 days within of when the Chicago Lockbox formally accepts your AOS package.
2. I-864 is not applicable to DV based AOS application.

1. Yes, list the GA work under the employment section.
2. Leave the “TO” section blank, or disable java script in Adobe and type in “PRESENT”. You can also handwrite “PRESENT” after downloading the form.
3. Technically not quite correct, but it doesn’t matter whether you select Yes or No, you’re still going to do the medical exam anyways.
That is correct.
Thanks for your response @Sm1smom

You certainly can’t remain in the US, nor file for AOS if your current status has already expired before your CN becomes current. You’re required to be in a valid authorized status in order to be eligible to file AOS.

Yes it is possible to switch from AOS to CP, however you can’t wait for too long to make the switch as you will need to give KCC enough time to process your DS260, send in required documents, and have those processed also before KCC can schedule your CP interview after your CN becomes current.

Thanks for the heads up.

If I could pick your brain one more time it would be appreciated.

My CN is 1360OC+, my visa (e3) expires on the last day of May 2021.

If my CN becomes available before my visa expires, I then apply for AOS but my visa becomes expired by the time of the interview (current I-94 however), will I be able to continue with the interview on the bases that I applied for the AOS whilst my visa is current?

If this is the case, do we have anyway to predict what month roughly my CN would come available?

Looking over past years my case number would NOT be available to July. However looking at the 2020 Dv my case number would be available in March. Which would be perfect.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the heads up.

If I could pick your brain one more time it would be appreciated.

My CN is 1360OC+, my visa (e3) expires on the last day of May 2021.

If my CN becomes available before my visa expires, I then apply for AOS but my visa becomes expired by the time of the interview (current I-94 however), will I be able to continue with the interview on the bases that I applied for the AOS whilst my visa is current?

If this is the case, do we have anyway to predict what month roughly my CN would come available?

Looking over past years my case number would NOT be available to July. However looking at the 2020 Dv my case number would be available in March. Which would be perfect.

Thanks for the help.

Ok I have to say I’m not sure you’re not using visa and authorized stay interchangeably. If you’re authorized stay (as shown by what is on your I-94) is still valid when your CN becomes current, as long as you file and your AOS package has been officially accepted by the Chicago Lockbox, it wouldn’t matter if your authorized stay expires after that, you get to remain in the US while the AOS application is pending. The question is when does your I-94 expire? Your visa expiration date is irrelevant for determining AOS filing eligibility.

I don’t guesstimate when the CN will become current.

Ok I have to say I’m not sure you’re not using visa and authorized stay interchangeably. If you’re authorized stay (as shown by what is on your I-94) is still valid when your CN becomes current, as long as you file and your AOS package has been officially accepted by the Chicago Lockbox, it wouldn’t matter if your authorized stay expires after that, you get to remain in the US while the AOS application is pending. The question is when does your I-94 expire? Your visa expiration date is irrelevant for determining AOS filing eligibility.

I don’t guesstimate when the CN will become current.

Thanks again for the reply.

The I-94 issue is what I am having trouble getting my head around.
The I-94 is current until 2022 but the visa expires in May 2021.

The reason for this apparently is the confusion with E3 visas and eb2 and eb3 with immigration officers.

Apparently a lot of E3 holders have been getting long duration I-94 dates, well past the visa expiration of the physical visa date. In my case, well past 12 months.

So I am unsure if I can use that I-94 date.

Thanks again for the reply.

The I-94 issue is what I am having trouble getting my head around.
The I-94 is current until 2022 but the visa expires in May 2021.

The reason for this apparently is the confusion with E3 visas and eb2 and eb3 with immigration officers.

Apparently a lot of E3 holders have been getting long duration I-94 dates, well past the visa expiration of the physical visa date. In my case, well past 12 months.

So I am unsure if I can use that I-94 date.

My understanding of E3 visa (I may be wrong) is that employment authorization terminates on the earliest of the following dates: (and the E3 visa holder has to depart from the US within 10 days of the earliest event)
The ending date of authorized stay noted on the I-94.​
The ending date on the LCA.​
The actual date that employment ends.​
Whenever there is a substantive change in the employment (title, hours, etc. see above).​

So if the ending date noted on your LCA is before the I-94 date, that is what determines when you’re no longer in status in this case, not the E3 visa stamp on your passport which is basically the document used in admitting you to the US.

hi i have a question on early filing ... do we need to wait for the current months visa bulleting to be out , then check its Section C to determine early filing OR can we go by upcoming visa bulletin and its Section C to do early filing

hi i have a question on early filing ... do we need to wait for the current months visa bulleting to be out , then check its Section C to determine early filing OR can we go by upcoming visa bulletin and its Section C to do early filing

Look at the example on the early filing memo as suggested by @rabey or take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS Process Spreadsheet where "Early Filing" has been explained.

Hello,

DV 2021 winner from AS currently residing in the US on an F1 visa. Anticipated graduation date, May of 2022.

Q1) What kind of documents must I provide to show my finances?

Q2) The spreadsheet mentioned Form I-944, bank statements, tax returns and form I-134 to be shown as proof of finances. Does this apply to F1 visa applicants too?

Thank you in advance for all that you do. :)

Hello,

DV 2021 winner from AS currently residing in the US on an F1 visa. Anticipated graduation date, May of 2022.

Q1) What kind of documents must I provide to show my finances?

Q2) The spreadsheet mentioned Form I-944, bank statements, tax returns and form I-134 to be shown as proof of finances. Does this apply to F1 visa applicants too?

Thank you in advance for all that you do. :)

1. See 2 below.
2. Yes.

hello , i looked through the excel sheet but could not find further details thought i would ask here . can some one kindly explain to me why we need to submit I 765 and advance parole....My understanding is I 765 and advance parole is filed when you file for emplyment based green card to obtain the EAD with advance parole and to stay until you AOS gets approved which normally takes months ....
1. In DV cases as per the excel sheet the time lines are very short ..so in this case do we need to file I 765 and advance parole?
2. At what point do they approve the I765 with advance parole ? ..is it like before the final interview?
3. If I765 and AP adjuducation is done before the final interview...then lets say you I765 and AP is approved however your final interview dont go well ..then what happens to the EAD with AP?

thank you

Hello everyone, I hope all of you guys are doing great.

I wanted to ask @mom or anyone else who has experience in this process. Do you guys have a recommended website that does translation that is certified? because all stores in my areas are closed. I have translated documents from my home country but I don't know if they are certified so I looked into some websites online but I'm worried that i would end up with scammers. I would really appreciate it. Be safe everyone.