• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello!

Hope everybody doing well. Such a nice forum with lots of valuable information and thank you for what are you doing.

My question is if person was chosen for further Diversity Visa proceedings and currently his asylum case transferred to the immigration court and hearing is in January 2021, do he have any possibilities for adjustment of status through the Diversity Visa?! The same time his wife is US Citizen.

Will much appreciate for response and will add any clarifications if needed.

All the best.
Thank you.

Hello!

Hope everybody doing well. Such a nice forum with lots of valuable information and thank you for what are you doing.

My question is if person was chosen for further Diversity Visa proceedings and currently his asylum case transferred to the immigration court and hearing is in January 2021, do he have any possibilities for adjustment of status through the Diversity Visa?! The same time his wife is US Citizen.

Will much appreciate for response and will add any clarifications if needed.

All the best.
Thank you.

You need to be in a valid non-immigrant status in order to be eligible to file a DV based AOS application. See the ‘Asylum Pending’ tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet. You might however want to talk to a highly experienced immigration attorney in order to get a legal opinion on your situation.

In a spreadsheet I see, that I need to include payment for each family member. I have wife and 3 kids.

1. Do I have to make separate checks for each one of us, or should I make one check to pay for everyone?

2. And also, the same question regarding G-1145. Do I have to fill in separate form for each family member?

Thank you for all your help and advises.

Last edited:
Few more question.
Currently I am in US on L1 visa, but I have been traveling to US for the last 5 years and have my previous B1/B2 visa is in my expired passport.

1. Do I have to send copy of that expired passport with B1 visa also?

I don't want to confuse officer with my expired passport and don't want to him to get a notion, that I am here on B1 visa, not L1.

2. If I have an evaluation of my bachelors and masters degree diplomas, do I have to make a copy and translate my high school diploma also?

Last edited:
Hello mom

So i have not recived my biometrics as of yet. Filed on 10/1 ( early filing) and my CN became current on Nov. Ive checked the time lines and i see only one person gotten for Nov ( individual filed later than me ). As per the timeline sheet , I am not seeing others receiving either; not sure if they might have forgotten to update the excel sheet too!. Either case would it be a good option to inquire USCIS by submitting a ticket or is it still to early

In a spreadsheet I see, that I need to include payment for each family member. I have wife and 3 kids.

1. Do I have to make separate checks for each one of us, or should I make one check to pay for everyone?

2. And also, the same question regarding G-1145. Do I have to fill in separate form for each family member?

Thank you for all your help and advises.

1. You don't "have to" issue separate checks for each AOS package, if you prefer to issue a single check to cover everyone, it is acceptable. However, issuing a separate check for each AOS package is highly recommended. When you have a single check to cover everyone, if the Chicago Lockbox discovers an issue with one of the applications for example, failure to sign one of the forms, the entire package (for everyone) will be returned. when you address the issue and re-send the AOS package, the entire package goes to the end of the processing line. However if you issue separate checks for each AOS package, only the one with the issue will get sent back, the rest of the applications will continue with the processing. When you subsequently address whatever the issue was and send back the returned package, it does not go to the end of the processing line, that package will be pushed forward to join the rest of the family which were already being processed while that single package was returned. So your call.

2. If you wish to get a text/email notification when each case file has been accepted, you include the G-1145 for each package. If you wish to get one notification, then include one G-1145 - you will get the text/email notification for just one case file in that case, and that will be for the name of whoever is listed on the G-1145.

Few more question.
Currently I am in US on L1 visa, but I have been traveling to US for the last 5 years and have my previous B1/B2 visa is in my expired passport.

1. Do I have to send copy of that expired passport with B1 visa also?

I don't want to confuse officer with my expired passport and don't want to him to get a notion, that I am here on B1 visa, not L1.

2. If I have an evaluation of my bachelors and masters degree diplomas, do I have to make a copy and translate my high school diploma also?

1. Your call if you want to include it or not. (It makes sense to include it IMO though). I see no reason for the IO to be confused with what your current status is when you will be providing that information on the I-485, you will be including a copy of your I-94 which has the applicable information regarding the status you were admitted in, and a copy of your current passport which contains your L1 visa.
2. You "do not" have to, but it is highly recommended. We've had situations where some IOs requested to see the HS Diploma despite the fact that the AOSer included copies of their higher degree diplomas/certificates in the AOS package.

Hello mom

So i have not recived my biometrics as of yet. Filed on 10/1 ( early filing) and my CN became current on Nov. Ive checked the time lines and i see only one person gotten for Nov ( individual filed later than me ). As per the timeline sheet , I am not seeing others receiving either; not sure if they might have forgotten to update the excel sheet too!. Either case would it be a good option to inquire USCIS by submitting a ticket or is it still to early

Call the USCIS 1800 number to confirm the bio notice hasn't been issued - it wouldn't be unusual for the bio notice to have gotten lost or returned to USCIS as undeliverable. You may need to request to speak with a Tier 2 personnel in order to get this information as the frontline personnel see exactly what you see when you log on online to check on your case.

Call the USCIS 1800 number to confirm the bio notice hasn't been issued - it wouldn't be unusual for the bio notice to have gotten lost or returned to USCIS as undeliverable. You may need to request to speak with a Tier 2 personnel in order to get this information as the frontline personnel see exactly what you see when you log on online to check on your case.
Got it -thanks . Ive tried their 1800 , now that they have an automated system its literally impossible to talk to human :) It always tell to use the self service and ends the call!

1. Your call if you want to include it or not. (It makes sense to include it IMO though). I see no reason for the IO to be confused with what your current status is when you will be providing that information on the I-485, you will be including a copy of your I-94 which has the applicable information regarding the status you were admitted in, and a copy of your current passport which contains your L1 visa.
2. You "do not" have to, but it is highly recommended. We've had situations where some IOs requested to see the HS Diploma despite the fact that the AOSer included copies of their higher degree diplomas/certificates in the AOS package.

The problem is that I can't find my HS Diploma. To make a duplicate I will have to go back to my home country and most likely it will take quite a lot of time, especially with unpredictable COVID situation.

My Bachelors diploma states that it has been issued on basis of my HS diploma and there is a Serial number of my HS Diploma. And I am providing education evaluation, not just translation.

So my plan is to provide Evaluation of my both Bachelor and Master Degrees. I will also send a CV and Employment verification letters from my Employers for the past 5 years and EVL from my current employer here in US.

I hope it will be enough for the officer. If during the interview, he will ask for this specific diploma, then I will have to make duplicate and send it to him later.

And thank you one more time for moderating and answering all of you questions. @Sm1smom you are great!

Got it -thanks . Ive tried their 1800 , now that they have an automated system its literally impossible to talk to human :) It always tell to use the self service and ends the call!

Hmmh! Looks like USCIS has rolled out the silly interactive voice response (IVR) telephone system which is supposed to be an enhanced customer experience but is nothing more than another ridiculous and frustrating obstacle for people to deal with (like the entire process is not stressful enough!)

Anyway, that being the case, your only choice for now is to use the online tool and submit a ticket like you initially asked.

Here is a post from AOS2020 thread with steps to get to Tier 2 rep, through an automated voice system:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2020-aos-only.340762/page-240#post-2530730

You can try those steps to see if it works.

Thank you for your response....ive read the thread , but unfortunately this time the IVR is tougher. If you say "speak to an agent" continously ..itll say "It seems like i cannot help you " and disconnects :) . breaks my heart haha !....on the side not what does local ASC mean?.. .im guessing the local USCIS office but couldnt really fig out acronym

Thank you for your response....ive read the thread , but unfortunately this time the IVR is tougher. If you say "speak to an agent" continously ..itll say "It seems like i cannot help you " and disconnects :) . breaks my heart haha !....on the side not what does local ASC mean?.. .im guessing the local USCIS office but couldnt really fig out acronym
Application Support Center. The place they do biometrics.

Hello Mom,

Does the poverty guideline represent the minimum gross yearly income of the sponsor (on the tax return) or the amount he is supposed to have on his bank statement?

Hello Mom,

Does the poverty guideline represent the minimum gross yearly income of the sponsor (on the tax return) or the amount he is supposed to have on his bank statement?

It is based on annual income and not bank account savings/balance. Of course having a significant bank account balance in addition is also considered positive factor.

It is based on annual income and not bank account savings/balance. Of course having a significant bank account balance in addition is also considered positive factor.

but as long as he meets the 125% yearly income requirements, it’s okay right? Even if he has $3000 in savings/checkings ?

but as long as he meets the 125% yearly income requirements, it’s okay right? Even if he has $3000 in savings/checkings ?

So here’s how the guidance I provide here works:
1. I cannot provide you with the reassurance you’re looking for with regards to your specific case as I am not the IO that will be adjudicating your application.
2. I hate being asked to repeat myself as some form of confirmation either directly or indirectly when I have already provided the needed guidance.
3. A lot of time and energy has already been invested into putting together a tool for simplifying the process, that tool is the AOS process spreadsheet. You need to take a look at the “Public Charge” tab of that spreadsheet, take a closer look at the “Totality of the Circumstance Worksheet”, use it to assess your case and understand how the totality of the circumstance applies as against wanting my assurance/reassurance on a single issue. That worksheet provides some insights on how the IOs assess cases

Payment for AOS

1) I'm planning to pay via personal check. Should I issue only one check and write full amount ($1225) or should I use two separate checks for filing fee ($1,140) and biometrics ($85)?
2) where should I write what did I pay for? Or they already know that I paid for both filing fee and biometrics?

US visas

3) Should I provide photocopies of all the US visas I have in my passport or only the last one?

Thank you in advance ;)

Last edited: