• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

My Immigration lawyer completed my I-485 form wrong on parts Part 3 (Address history) and Part 14 (Additional Information).
I have moved around a few more times than needed in the past 5 years and provided my lawyer with about 5 addresses, but she forgot to add one of them to the list, and therefore a huge time gap was left in between addresses.

So for example, this is what my I-485 looks like:

Address 1 = 1/1/2021 - Present
Address 1 = 1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020
Address 1 = 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018
Address 1 = 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2017

Here I am using fake dates to convey what happened. But as you can see from this example, an entire year is missing in the address history (2019 in the example). My I-485 was already mailed. Is this something I should be worried about? Can my application be denied because of this?

Hello,

I am stuck on i485 form, 23.c. field. It wants me to put class of admission from my recent i94, I checked it and it says L1A but my visa is L1B - does anyone have the same problem?
The other problem is that I can't put a digit into this field, so I can't put neither L1A nor L1B anyway. Would just L be enough?

Good evening everyone, hope you are doing well.

Last month I filed my package and I pay fee with form g1450 ( BOA visa ) and it was denied. I didn’t get any notifications. A live agent told me their notice system doesn’t work well. Well USCIS returned my package which I just got it today.

My questions are
1. I693 ( medical exams envelope is unsealed ) do I need to get a new one that seal from hospital?

2. I used paper clips to separate my documents but in my return package, all of my documents was stapled by USCIS. Do I need to re print it. Or I just get cashiers’ check and include with returning my documents?

Thank you so much for all your help and sorry for my English.

Last month I filed my package and I pay fee with form g1450 ( BOA visa ) and it was denied. I didn’t get any notifications. A live agent told me their notice system doesn’t work well. Well USCIS returned my package which I just got it today.

My questions are
1. I693 ( medical exams envelope is unsealed ) do I need to get a new one that seal from hospital?

2. I used paper clips to separate my documents but in my return package, all of my documents was stapled by USCIS. Do I need to re print it. Or I just get cashiers’ check and include with returning my documents?

1. It depends on the surgeon signature date. If USCIS receives it within 60 days from the signature date you'll be fine.

2. Since it was stapled by them I think it should be fine.

My questions are

Sorry to hear that.

Why is the reason for returning your package?

1. It depends on the surgeon signature date. If USCIS receives it within 60 days from the signature date you'll be fine.

Are you sure about that? The instructions state that it has to be sealed - I didn't see anything that makes an exception for when USCIS opened it (but I might have missed it).

Are you sure about that? The instructions state that it has to be sealed - I didn't see anything that makes an exception for when USCIS opened it (but I might have missed it).

Oh I misunderstood the question! Thank you for catching it.
Yeah so then he would need to go to the doctor and ask to reseal it.

My questions are

Personally I would at least remove the staples if that can be done without damaging the paper. If it can't, I'd print them again.

I would not send them with the staples because I think that interferes with how they work. I'm only speculating, but I think that the first thing they do is separate the pages and then quickly go them to identify everything and validate it. Then they arrange them into a particular order that they want, and then they fasten them together. When you send it again, they have to do all this again, so if you don't remove the staples, they will have to. Would you get rejected again over the staples? I don't know, but if you submit anything you're unsure of you'll be stressing over it until you get your receipt ;)

It sounds like someone got ahead of themselves and made a start on your paperwork before they realized the payment was denied. Definitely send a check next time!

Hi Mom, I am preparing my AOS package and I have a question. When I was on my OPT, for approximately 4 months I didn't have a paid job and I had to work as a volunteer with a professor until I got a job offer. The international office of my school admitted that volunteer position and I updated my SEVP portal accordingly. There was no issue and I was able to get my OPT STEM extension later. Should I include that 4 month of volunteer work in my employment history section in form I-485 and what title would be appropriate for that type of position? Thanks

If the payment gets denied, they don't run the card a second time, they reject and return the package. Unfortunately this is not the first time we are seeing this lately with credit cards
I was also afraid of credit card denial. That's why I decided to go and buy a cashier check from bank. It costs me $10 but I hope I don't face any issues with payment.

It is frustrating.

Still waiting for USCIS to cash out my check. It is about to get 1 month on 22 May.

Just a quick note, my CS does redo his paper work for a small fee. So you may not need to pay for the whole examination again.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the I-485:

When we fill out the I-485 for our children (under 9), "for part 10", do we choose 1A and 6A as the applicant for them or do we fill it out as the preparer (choose #2).

Thanks.
Yes, select 1A, fill out 3,4,5, with your information as the parent, sign 6A, 6B. As the parent, you are allowed to sign the form on behalf of your minor kids.

My Immigration lawyer completed my I-485 form wrong on parts Part 3 (Address history) and Part 14 (Additional Information).
I have moved around a few more times than needed in the past 5 years and provided my lawyer with about 5 addresses, but she forgot to add one of them to the list, and therefore a huge time gap was left in between addresses.

So for example, this is what my I-485 looks like:

Address 1 = 1/1/2021 - Present
Address 1 = 1/1/2020 - 12/31/2020
Address 1 = 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018
Address 1 = 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2017

Here I am using fake dates to convey what happened. But as you can see from this example, an entire year is missing in the address history (2019 in the example). My I-485 was already mailed. Is this something I should be worried about? Can my application be denied because of this?
No, you case will not automatically get denied due to this. You can update the form when you go in for your interview.

Hello,

I am stuck on i485 form, 23.c. field. It wants me to put class of admission from my recent i94, I checked it and it says L1A but my visa is L1B - does anyone have the same problem?
The other problem is that I can't put a digit into this field, so I can't put neither L1A nor L1B anyway. Would just L be enough?
Contact your nearest CBP Deferred Inspection Site to fix the admission status.

My questions are

What does the rejection notice that came with the package say? Does it say to resend package with an attached notice which they included? If yes, simply return the package as is, you don’t need to separate them. If the CS’s signature is still within the acceptable 60 day period, you can simply resend the medical exam as is - USCIS is aware they opened the original sealed medical report. But if the CS’s signature will be over 60 days by the time the package gets received, then you need to go back to your CS and get a new medical report prior to re-sending the package.

Hi Mom, I am preparing my AOS package and I have a question. When I was on my OPT, for approximately 4 months I didn't have a paid job and I had to work as a volunteer with a professor until I got a job offer. The international office of my school admitted that volunteer position and I updated my SEVP portal accordingly. There was no issue and I was able to get my OPT STEM extension later. Should I include that 4 month of volunteer work in my employment history section in form I-485 and what title would be appropriate for that type of position? Thanks
Please use your discretion. I don’t know the kind of work you did, so I can’t tell you what the appropriate title should be.