• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

So we had our interview today and we are approved pending receipt of our medical! It was exactly as described by everyone else here, very straightforward. We were asked why we wanted to move to the USA and what we were planning on doing for work when we get there. The CO asked what my highest level of education was and when I said university he asked if I had a copy of my qualification with me (which I did). That was it! Still can't believe we have finally made it after 17 years of entering! Much thanks to everyone on this forum especially BritSimon, SusieQQQ, Sm1smom, Mijoro and Aidyn. I have no doubt that all the information I got from this forum is why everything ran so smoothly today! For those still waiting for their interview - good luck! And relax, it really is as easy as everyone says!
Congrats on the approval!! We were also approved this morning and it was exactly as straightforward as everyone says.
We were asked why we wanted to move, if we have any family/friends to help with support when we get there and what we both do for work. All up we were in and out within 45 minutes!
Thanks to all for the advice, we were definitely the most prepared in the queue :D
Now to organize the activation trip!

Have I done the wrong Police Check? I did the National Police Check that was $58
npcoapr.police.nsw.gov.au/

I got an email in October from KCC asking for further documents for processing. I hadn't done the DS-260 at that stage. I have now submitted the DS-260, do I wait for an email to say that it's received? Or do I email the documents as soon as I get the police checks back?

Regarding the Public Charges aspect of the interview. I am the selectee, would an I-134 for my spouse be any help? He could quite easily get one, but it would be much more difficult for me.

I'm interested in feedback about splitting time between countries if approved. If all goes to plan I'm looking at an interview April/May, activation trip October. My children are enrolled in school in Australia and my husband has a work contract that ends or will be renewed in August. He works in the music industry and his contract takes him to many countries. If he was to renew his current contract (ideal situation as well paid and flexible) can anyone help me with the requirements for physically being in the US. I want my kids to finish the school year in Aus which ends Dec, but the US school year is different so I'd need to start them again in Aus then move halfway through the year, or start them halfway through the US school year. While our intention is to move to the US what are the requirements to maintain the GC. If the kids are happy and hubby has flexible work can we pay US tax and maintain the GC spending 3-4 months in the in the US? This is just a Mum freaking out a bit, hubby wants to jump in and move straight away!

That looks like its a state based (NSW) - I honestly have no idea if that'll be accepted or not. Perhaps someone else who has used a state based National Police Check can answer
Thanks Aidyn, I've just requested the correct ones, silly mistake!

I'm interested in feedback about splitting time between countries if approved. If all goes to plan I'm looking at an interview April/May, activation trip October. My children are enrolled in school in Australia and my husband has a work contract that ends or will be renewed in August. He works in the music industry and his contract takes him to many countries. If he was to renew his current contract (ideal situation as well paid and flexible) can anyone help me with the requirements for physically being in the US. I want my kids to finish the school year in Aus which ends Dec, but the US school year is different so I'd need to start them again in Aus then move halfway through the year, or start them halfway through the US school year. While our intention is to move to the US what are the requirements to maintain the GC. If the kids are happy and hubby has flexible work can we pay US tax and maintain the GC spending 3-4 months in the in the US? This is just a Mum freaking out a bit, hubby wants to jump in and move straight away!

The short answer to your last question is no. You need to spend more time in the US than out of it as a resident.

We also moved from a different school year calendar, it’s really not a problem. We moved after the Southern Hemisphere school year end in Dec. They’ll assess your kids, place them half a year ahead or half a year back based on age, grades etc, and kids are mighty adaptable and are totally fine. The kids different school year is totally the least of your worries in immigration.

To confirm what Susie said about schooling, we let our boys finish out the school year in December 2015 (2nd and 4th grade respectively) and then had them start when we moved across in February 2016. We enrolled them in 3rd and 5th grades and both did great (oldest one even won a President's Award for Math!).

Kids adapt much better than adults, I've found. They get settled into a routine. Their accents are a gateway to acceptance by others. And they stress less about the stuff we as adults tend to focus in on.

Regarding the Public Charges aspect of the interview. I am the selectee, would an I-134 for my spouse be any help? He could quite easily get one, but it would be much more difficult for me.

An I-134 has to be issued in your name (as the main selectee) with your husband listed as your beneficiary. It can’t be the other way round. An I-134 issued in your husband’s name is equivalent to your husband presenting his educational or work experience documents as evidence of being qualified in place of you the main selectee.

I got an email in October from KCC asking for further documents for processing. I hadn't done the DS-260 at that stage. I have now submitted the DS-260, do I wait for an email to say that it's received? Or do I email the documents as soon as I get the police checks back?

Send the requested documents once everything is ready.

So after all the gathering of documents, travelling for interviews and general preparing, it appears AusPost has managed to undo it all.
Our passports and docs were sent from Syd on Friday, with an expected delivery date of Monday. I've been frantically checking the tracking number but there has been no update since Friday evening, where it was processed into the mail center.
Just in case it comes to it, does anyone know how difficult it is to replace/reissue a lost visa?

So after all the gathering of documents, travelling for interviews and general preparing, it appears AusPost has managed to undo it all.
Our passports and docs were sent from Syd on Friday, with an expected delivery date of Monday. I've been frantically checking the tracking number but there has been no update since Friday evening, where it was processed into the mail center.
Just in case it comes to it, does anyone know how difficult it is to replace/reissue a lost visa?

It's too early to panic. Just wait another day or two.

As Simon says no need to panic just yet, delivery times are probably slower because it's Christmas time. There should be a number to call at Australia Post, I'm assuming you used the yellow express post envelope - you could call them

As Simon says no need to panic just yet, delivery times are probably slower because it's Christmas time. There should be a number to call at Australia Post, I'm assuming you used the yellow express post envelope - you could call them
Yeah I kind of expect a delay in delivery over Xmas. I have called them and they have a case open and are investigating it at the moment.
My main concern tbh is not the Visas, but the fact that there is a package with all of our passports and personal information that no one at AusPost seems to know where it is.
But all I can do at this stage I guess is wait.

I guess compared to the massive leaps up the Oceania numbers have taken in the previous two months, it is an "only" 150 cases though...!!

Well no. It is only 150 case numbers, not cases. That's probably around actual 40 cases. However, it is ALSO the cases that were already current but now have provided their DS260/documents.

Well no. It is only 150 case numbers, not cases. That's probably around actual 40 cases. However, it is ALSO the cases that were already current but now have provided their DS260/documents.
Ahhh yes good point. I am one of those who was slack on my documents (I didn't think my case number was going to come around so quickly!) and now waiting for the interview invitation. Very exciting.