• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

Thanks SusieQQQ, I would like to keep my options open. Is it true though once we activate we need to file a tax return for the US?

Yes, but unless your taxes are very complicated anyway it’s not a major issue. You are highly unlikely to have to pay any tax if you are mainly just earning income due to a combination of double tax agreements and the foreign income exemption; plus if you are not actually in the US you can get an extension till (I think -please check if you do this) Oct. 15 of the year after the one you are filing for. (Usual filing date Apr 15, for the previous year.)

Yes, but unless your taxes are very complicated anyway it’s not a major issue. You are highly unlikely to have to pay any tax if you are mainly just earning income due to a combination of double tax agreements and the foreign income exemption; plus if you are not actually in the US you can get an extension till (I think -please check if you do this) Oct. 15 of the year after the one you are filing for. (Usual filing date Apr 15, for the previous year.)
Thanks SusieQQQ I think we will do this!

What is the tax year for usa. What if we enter usa on 1 Jan 2020. Do we still need to file tax return with usa govt

Hi All,
I am a selectee for DV2020 my case number is OC22xx. It seems super high but this thread has given me some hope, does anyone have a prediction as to if I will get an interview. I was selected once before with a slightly lower case number and filled out all the forms immediately but never got an interview.

Hey guys! I just sent off my police check but opted for the fingerprints one as it says it was preferred! Just checking this was ok as reading through most people just got the name check? Thank you!

Hey guys! I just sent off my police check but opted for the fingerprints one as it says it was preferred! Just checking this was ok as reading through most people just got the name check? Thank you!
Fingerprint Police Checks are not required but if you've already done it thats fine

ok so I went to the US and no problem!! My next question is I will be back again in December for Christmas. Will I be able to collect my green card and SSN by then? I know it takes up to 120 days for them to mail your green card but in your personal experience, how long did it take for you to receive your GC?

ok so I went to the US and no problem!! My next question is I will be back again in December for Christmas. Will I be able to collect my green card and SSN by then? I know it takes up to 120 days for them to mail your green card but in your personal experience, how long did it take for you to receive your GC?
I got my SSN in about a week and my GC in about a month .. so if everything is processed as it should be there is no reason why you won't be able to get them on your return visit :)

Has anyone had second thoughts about moving? Now we have an interview date my husband is not sure if he wants to go ahead with the move.
It’s a normal response. I’ve been trying for 9 years to move over and when I got my approval it sort of hit me that yikes now it was time to man up and do it otherwise I’d spend the rest of my life wondering. That being said everyone has been kind and they love aussies. I’ve had a few conversations about the lottery and corrected a few preconceived ideas about it.
You will be fine. Like Nike ad just do it.

I got my greencard after 10 days but had to actually go into social security for my social security number.

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how long it takes for documents to be processed? I sent them off Friday night and seeing as though my interview is likely to be Jan based on the case number and the bulletin is due out this week followed by 2NL's for Jan do you think we missed the boat and will have to wait till Feb?

I think that all makes sense..

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how long it takes for documents to be processed? I sent them off Friday night and seeing as though my interview is likely to be Jan based on the case number and the bulletin is due out this week followed by 2NL's for Jan do you think we missed the boat and will have to wait till Feb?

I think that all makes sense..
Chances are you are too late to make it in this months batch of 2NLs, but the only way you will know for sure is to wait and see :)

Sorry guys one more question! Flu shots - if I haven't had mine yet this year will I need to get one if my medical is at the end of this month?

Thanks!!

Sorry guys one more question! Flu shots - if I haven't had mine yet this year will I need to get one if my medical is at the end of this month?

Thanks!!
Flu shot probably isnt available this time of year for you so you will not need to get it as part of your medical.

Any idea of what type of questions normally be asked by Consular at interview. And how many questions do you reckon is asked...