• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Dear @Sm1smom, I know I mentioned this already but it's kind of an emergency so I'll ask just to be sure.
Let's say that hypothetically my interview goes smooth and the IO accepts to stamp my passport with an I-551 on the spot.

Should I feel 100% tranquil to fly out of the US immediately?

Thank you!
Why not? I-551 serves as a permanent residency document for one year.

Slight technical correction. I551 is the form name for a green card. A stamped immigrant visa or a stamp in the passport from a uscis office can serve as a temporary I551 for purposes of proving status.
What should we do about our change of address with USCIS after getting green card if our lease ends by a particular time and we are going to live for like 1 month outside the US after that without having an address in the US?

Dear @Sm1smom, I know I mentioned this already but it's kind of an emergency so I'll ask just to be sure.
Let's say that hypothetically my interview goes smooth and the IO accepts to stamp my passport with an I-551 on the spot.

Thank you!

Yes you can. It is an acceptable evidence of the LPR status.

Hi everyone,

I had my interview today. It went super quick just went over all questions and provided my latest income and proof of employment. My status has updated to “new card being produced”! Now I will just have to wait for the card to arrive in the following weeks!

I really want to thank everyone who had contributed in this forum! Special shout out to Mom & Susie, you both had answered lots of questions and being so supportive! Thank you for everything!

Hi everyone,

I had my interview today. It went super quick just went over all questions and provided my latest income and proof of employment. My status has updated to “new card being produced”! Now I will just have to wait for the card to arrive in the following weeks!

I really want to thank everyone who had contributed in this forum! Special shout out to Mom & Susie, you both had answered lots of questions and being so supportive! Thank you for everything!
Congratulations!!! Please don't forget to update the timeline too ;)

Hello @MariJac congrats on your interview, I hope you're doing well. I noticed that there's no info of you in the timeline sheet. I added your username at the bottom, could you please fill it out? Thank you!
Thanks for that! We tried to do it since June but we have not access to the gogledocs page as editors. We have requested that again today. In the mean time this is our timeline:

2020SA35XX
F-2
June Current
Houston Field Office
05/26/2020 - Chicago Lockbox
06/03/2020 - Check Cashed
06/04/2020 - NOA Letter
07/09/2020 - Interview Letter
07/23/2020 - Interview Date
07/24/2020 - BIO letter received
08/05/2020 - BIO appointment
08/13/2020 - Card Produced
08/14/2020 - Case Approved

Thanks for that! We tried to do it since June but we have not access to the gogledocs page as editors. We have requested that again today. In the mean time this is our timeline:

2020SA35XX
F-2
June Current
Houston Field Office
05/26/2020 - Chicago Lockbox
06/03/2020 - Check Cashed
06/04/2020 - NOA Letter
07/09/2020 - Interview Letter
07/23/2020 - Interview Date
07/24/2020 - BIO letter received
08/05/2020 - BIO appointment
08/13/2020 - Card Produced
08/14/2020 - Case Approved

This is no record of a prior access request from back in June, not sure how or where you made the request from. Nonetheless, editing access has been granted to your account. Congratulations on the successful completion of your process.

Today I called uscis, spoke with tier 2, she mentioned that today an IO will make decision in my case as it’s the last day of escalation
She asked me to call back Monday afternoon for updates
Brief about my case
My package sent May 19, notice of action received May 27
July 21 asked for E request
July 28 received letter for Request if evidence
My case was changed from AOS base on DV lottery to family base
July 29 replied on official letter with supporting documents that my AOS is base on DV lottery
August 4 my request for evidence was revived
August 14, tier 2 informed me that today a decision will be made and my case still at NBC

First of all, thanks for everyone sharing lots of useful information here.
I talked to a tier2 representative today. He told me my bio appointment is scheduled at 8/28/2020 ( San Jose ) and a mail was sent at 7/30.
However I didn't get any mail about the bio appointment. I did received the NOA letter ( which was sent at 7/29 ) but the letter didn't have any info about bio appointment. Can I go to the appointment without the bio letter?
Moreover, when I asked for interview appointment. He said I need to wait after the bio is done. Is that true? I did see some people take the interview before the bio appointment. Should I call again to see if I can make a service request on the interview appointment?

First of all, thanks for everyone sharing lots of useful information here.
I talked to a tier2 representative today. He told me my bio appointment is scheduled at 8/28/2020 ( San Jose ) and a mail was sent at 7/30.
However I didn't get any mail about the bio appointment. I did received the NOA letter ( which was sent at 7/29 ) but the letter didn't have any info about bio appointment. Can I go to the appointment without the bio letter?
Moreover, when I asked for interview appointment. He said I need to wait after the bio is done. Is that true? I did see some people take the interview before the bio appointment. Should I call again to see if I can make a service request on the interview appointment?
For biometrics you must have the letter as they scan the code from it. Call USCIS tier 2 and ask to send you the appointment letter by email, it should be fine.

Regarding your interview that can be scheduled only after biometrics as they told you. It depends on FO. I am in the same shoes. My field office (Denver) follows the rules and didn't want to make an exception for me. What is yours?

Last edited:

Thank you!

If you check my posting sometimes back you will see the detail response about I-551. My brother requested I-551 stamp on his passport day of the interview and then took a flight 2 days after. He returned and received his GC after a month.

As long as you have I-551 you are okay to travel.

Last edited:
@Kentavar2397 hi guys, my field office is also Los Angeles. Based on my knowledge, our cases will be done in the LA District Office, not the LA County office. When you google Los Angeles USCIS Field Office, the address gives you a room number of 7631. On the interview letter, it should have a different Room number even if the street address is the same. Again, don't count me on that, but based on my knowledge, we will be able to attend to our interview successfully even if the LA Field Office looks closed on their website. Unless we get a call back as Kentavar2397 did for his bio appointment.

The one that is closed is the actual LA FO that we are scheduled for an interview. I guess there are 5 options.
1. Best case, they reopen by Monday next week.
2. Best case, they let us in despite the closure.
3. Best case, they send us to a different location (Santa Ana FO or San Fernando Valley FO).
4. Worst case, they reschedule our interviews.
5. Miracle case, they adjudicate our cases without being interviewed.
Hopefully it ends up one of the first three options.

If you check my posting sometimes back you will see the detail response about I-551. My brother requested I-551 stamp on his passport day of the interview and then took a flight 2 days after. He returned and received his GC after a month.

As long as you have I-551 you are okay to travel.
But that works if you are approved on the spot, right? What if you are approved a week after interview, how to request this I-551stamp? Is there a way?

Sorry in advance if it was already discussed...

But that works if you are approved on the spot, right? What if you are approved a week after interview, how to request this I-551stamp? Is there a way?

Sorry in advance if it was already discussed...
Then you have to walk in to your FO in the hope that you will let you in.