• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 AOS Only

Hi everyone,
I have received my green card today.
I'm so excited. Thank you, everyone, for the invaluable help that you provided.
Especially, thank you, Sm1smom, you are helping people's dreams to come true.
I wish everyone to get their green cards soon!!!
Again, thank you guys, you are great people!

Happy for you also and congratulations again.

Hello @Sm1smom and everyone,

I have finally received my green card today.
It has been such a long time for me to get and end the process.
Especially during this crazy time with the irregular/uncertain time frame, I got freaked out so many times.
Thank you very much for ones who advised and helped me in this thread.

For the future reference, I would like to share my interview experience here with anyone who are preparing for their interviews.
My interview was one of the first ones in the morning.
Arrived 15 mins earlier and walked into the building. There is security check area just like airports.
I didn't need to line up for long, but I recommend to come in earlier in case there is a long waiting line.

After that I went to the designated window and check-in with the officer - just tell them that you are here for the GC interview.
I showed the notice and my passport as my ID, and they took my face photo and fingerprint.
They told me to wait at the waiting area, at that time there was no one at the area.

The officer called me after 20-30 mins waiting and took me to her private office.
For some reasons, she skipped the part of raising the right hand and swearing.
She just started off the interview by asking me to show the original documents I filed last year, such as birth certificate, passport, school diploma and verification of employment.
I had a renewed passport and birth certificate, so I showed her them and she scanned any new proofs that I did not file.

Questions were all based on what I wrote on I-483, she went over all the information and questions at the end.

There was no tricky questions for me.
Only thing was when she asked me what my SSN is, I could not answer right away because I was nervous.
So I told her that I remembered the last 4 digits and answered. She didn't have any problem with my answer.

The overall interview lasted for about 30 mins.

The officer was very generous and nice person so that I relieved my nervousness as I spoke with her.
At the end, I asked her few questions regarding what I should expect for approval and until green card delivered.

She explained to me that she did not see any issues on my application, so most likely this would be approved within a few days, and it would take a month at latest for me to receive the GC.
And if not more than 30 days, she told me to call USCIS (it usually says 90 or 120 days but she understood that I was DV and in a rush by the deadline)
I was told by my attorney to ask my interviewer's name if possible. and She gave me "A Notice of Interview Result" with her name is on.

After 2 days, my status was changed to New Card is being Produced. and finally today, waiting for 3 weeks, I received my card.

I hope this will help someone and wish you all the best!
Congratulations

First of all, thanks for everyone sharing lots of useful information here.
I talked to a tier2 representative today. He told me my bio appointment is scheduled at 8/28/2020 ( San Jose ) and a mail was sent at 7/30.
However I didn't get any mail about the bio appointment. I did received the NOA letter ( which was sent at 7/29 ) but the letter didn't have any info about bio appointment. Can I go to the appointment without the bio letter?
Moreover, when I asked for interview appointment. He said I need to wait after the bio is done. Is that true? I did see some people take the interview before the bio appointment. Should I call again to see if I can make a service request on the interview appointment?
I didn’t receive the letter until after my appointment date, which was set over the phone. This was for the NYC office, but they let me in without the letter, I went to the room I’d been told on the phone, and I asked for the officer that I’d spoken to. No dramas at all.

@ShazzA
how went your interview?
Hi!

It went very well! Very laid back and chill. The ISO was trying to determine if I needed to have an affidavit of support - apparently there are two different form you can use(?) not exactly sure but when I asked he was like "you know what? forget about it. you clearly don't look like you're in poverty" At this point, I had given him my AEA Contract with my agent, a contract agreement for a show that I will be doing in January, and also a letter of support from my parents back home in AUS. Once that was determined, he said that "this part of the interview is going to fly by, almost scarily so" we took the oath and then started going through my I485 and I was following along with my own printed out sheet. At the end he said there's nothing left for you to do except be patient. As you are aware this has to be completed by the 30th of September so it just will need to happen. We're just waiting for your fingerprints to be processed, we can see it in the system but it just needs to be processed and I will constantly follow up and ask them about it. He gave me a sheet of paper which said notice of interview results - your case is being held for review etc. We signed the I485 and then he showed me out while going to make copies of one of my contracts which was an original. When he came back I inquired about the I944's signature at the end. He told me and I quote "we currently are not able to use being a public charge against you so there's no need to sign that"

Hi!

It went very well! Very laid back and chill. The ISO was trying to determine if I needed to have an affidavit of support - apparently there are two different form you can use(?) not exactly sure but when I asked he was like "you know what? forget about it. you clearly don't look like you're in poverty" At this point, I had given him my AEA Contract with my agent, a contract agreement for a show that I will be doing in January, and also a letter of support from my parents back home in AUS. Once that was determined, he said that "this part of the interview is going to fly by, almost scarily so" we took the oath and then started going through my I485 and I was following along with my own printed out sheet. At the end he said there's nothing left for you to do except be patient. As you are aware this has to be completed by the 30th of September so it just will need to happen. We're just waiting for your fingerprints to be processed, we can see it in the system but it just needs to be processed and I will constantly follow up and ask them about it. He gave me a sheet of paper which said notice of interview results - your case is being held for review etc. We signed the I485 and then he showed me out while going to make copies of one of my contracts which was an original. When he came back I inquired about the I944's signature at the end. He told me and I quote "we currently are not able to use being a public charge against you so there's no need to sign that"
Hi,
You did your BIO on 07/20 and it sounds like your background has not been cleared yet... pretty scary for those who did their bio later like me... I did my BIO on 08/04...

I am chemical engineer... so I can be subject to longer background check too... let's trust the process like you said
Adjustment of status background check has nothing to do with fields of studies listed in TAL (Technology Alert List) or whatever. TAL is only applied for people seeking non-immigrant visas. Why would they care about your field of study when you are going to become a permanent resident and work in the U.S. ? TAL is for people on non-immigrant visas who are supposed to return back to their home country after their studies and they may export sensitive information to their country of origin.

Quick update from me:

So as I wrote before, I have had expedited biometrics appointment on August 6th, and it was held at Field Office in Newark.
A couple of days after I have received the notice to have biometrics done at my ASC in Hackensack, NJ for this morning. Per instructions from this forum, I have decided to attend that this morning.
At ASC they told me that it's better to take the biometrics one more time and I have left fingerprints, took photo and gave signature once again.
@Sm1smom in your opinion can this hurt processing times of my case? Or have any bad impact on my case at all?

Adjustment of status background check has nothing to do with fields of studies listed in TAL (Technology Alert List) or whatever. TAL is only applied for people seeking non-immigrant visas. Why would they care about your field of study when you are going to become a permanent resident and work in the U.S. ? TAL is for people on non-immigrant visas who are supposed to return back to their home country after their studies and they may export sensitive information to their country of origin.

I’ve typically ignored your posts of late, but I will not ignore this one because it is misleading.

TAL impact is not limited to NIV. I’ve been involved with this process long enough, done enough research to know for a fact the potential impact of TAL on background checks, and to have seen some go through prolonged delays as a result of this. A LPR can be a spy. A LPR may still be able to export sensitive information to their country of origin. The US government is not stupid enough to believe being a LPR and working in the US means someone with a TAL related background cannot or will not export sensitive information they deem beneficial to their home government if the original intent is to serve in that role. Even USCs have turned out to be spies working for of their country of origin, or working on behalf, while based in the US.

Feel free to not believe the potential impact of having a TAL related background on the process, or the fact that most Iranians in particular or people who may have visited Iran or a couple of other similar countries equally experience prolonged background check, but don’t provide a false sense of security to others who need this information in order to be mentally prepared for what may be ahead of them.

Quick update from me:

So as I wrote before, I have had expedited biometrics appointment on August 6th, and it was held at Field Office in Newark.
A couple of days after I have received the notice to have biometrics done at my ASC in Hackensack, NJ for this morning. Per instructions from this forum, I have decided to attend that this morning.
At ASC they told me that it's better to take the biometrics one more time and I have left fingerprints, took photo and gave signature once again.
@Sm1smom in your opinion can this hurt processing times of my case? Or have any bad impact on my case at all?

I wouldn’t have been recommending people in similar situations such as yours go ahead and attend the second bio if their approval was still pending as of the scheduled bio appointment date, if I thought doing so could negatively impact their process. By attending this new bio, you have successfully ensured the ASC is not marking your case file as a no-show. What you don’t want is for your case file to be listed as having failed to show up for a scheduled appointment which can further complicate your case. Which is more or less what they told you at the ASC when they informed you “that it's better to take the biometrics one more time”.

I wouldn’t have been recommending people in similar situations such as yours go ahead and attend the second bio if their approval was still pending as of the scheduled bio appointment date, if I thought doing so could negatively impact their process. By attending this new bio, you have successfully ensured the ASC is not marking your case file as a no-show. What you don’t want is for your case file to be listed as having failed to show up for a scheduled appointment which can further complicate your case. Which is more or less what they told you at the ASC when they informed you “that it's better to take the biometrics one more time”.
Thanks for the explanation Mom. Makes perfect sense.

Hi everybody! I finally had my biometrics done today. No IL yet though :(

On Friday I reached out to my congress representative and filled release form to allow them to make an inquiry on my case. Today I got confirmation that they submitted the inquiry and it will take around of two weeks to get a reply from USCIS. Fingers crossed!